PDA

View Full Version : LOCAL urgent Columbus Parking problem

UrDraco
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
This is from another forum but it I feel like it is worth copy pasting over here. Especially if you want to get to the tournament on time.

Feel free to move this to the appropriate location.

[QUOTE]

xare said:

Hey guys, since I live in Columbus (but sadly, cannot attend the GP to play - other commitments). I thought I'd pass on some information that's relevant.

TRAFFIC AND PARKING in the area immediately around/close to the event site will be massively impacted.

The Race for the Cure will take place at 8:30 am on Saturday, May 19. Estimates place it at around 35,000 runners. The start line is directly on the corner of the event site.

What this means is that on High Street, there will be a ton of pink-blazoned runners taking up the entire street past the convention center. Also, roads will be closed along with inflated parking prices.

Set-up for the race begins today, Friday, May 18 at 6 pm. I do not believe that it will greatly impact parking/traffic tonight but as of 6 AM on Saturday, stuff will be backed up.

Streets closed: Nationwide Blvd (from Front St to Neil Ave) from 630 am to noon. Nationwide Blvd (from Third to Front) 45 minutes before race begins. Front St from [Censored] St to Nationwide Blvd from 9 to 1030 am. No cross traffic going e to w from Goodale Ave to Sycamore St from 9-1030.

I would estimate parking to fill up quick between 6-8 AM with prices from $10-$25. In addition, buses will be impacted as well.

All bus routes will be detoured.

For further information:

komencolumbusDIZOTorg
CotaDIZOTcom

For things to do in the area if you go 0-2 to hulk flash (lol), and don't want to play side events:

experiencecolumbusDIZOTcom

Things won't clear up after the race until about 2 pm at the earliest. I ran in the race last year and buses weren't running properly until 4 pm.

My recommendation would be to wake up at about 6:00 AM, drive down and find whatever space you can, get robbed by the parking company, and then start walking.

Good luck to everybody!

Caboose
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
This is actually 100% fucking true. Parking downtown is terrible, and they always do breast cancer marathons and shit by the arena district. However, I know a secret parking lot a couple blocks from the convention center that's free and nobody knows about. My dad showed it to me on a "take your kid to work day" a few years ago. Find me at the GPT tonight and I'll show you where it is.

Caboozle

hi-val
05-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I just booted up Google Earth. For people driving in, I suggest you do the same to get a mental picture of the area. There are a lot of parking lots to the east of the Center; I don't know how many are tow-away though.

UrDraco
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Any chance you could find the secret parking lot on Google earth and give us coordinates or an address or something?

Tacosnape
05-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Google Earth is awesome. It's like playing The Legend of Fucking Zelda with the real world. The "Found a secret thingy" tune should totally play when you find that secret parking lot.

Caboose
05-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Parking hasn't been bad. Since we carpool 5 people back and forth everyday, we all throw in a dollar and park in the all day lot 20 yards from the convention center. Fuck the secret parking lot, I don't feel like walking 2 blocks.