PDA

View Full Version : [History] Why was IBA DCI banned?

ApokalypseKid9
05-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey, I'm relatively new to legacy, and definately not part of the legacy community. I heard that IBA, Jack Elgin, had been banned from sanctioned tournaments, but specially unbanned for the GP, and I heard about why he was unbanned, but why was IBA banned in the first place? It's a question that's been bugging me while I was reading about columbus.

Peter_Rotten
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
He has an irrational hatred of tables and tends to leap over and/or break them at any event in which he is slapped. Good thing for this GP, he was not slapped.

ApokalypseKid9
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
What do you mean slapped? Like, somebody literally slapped him, so he broke and / or jumped over a table?

MattH
05-20-2007, 07:23 PM
What do you mean slapped? Like, somebody literally slapped him, so he broke and / or jumped over a table?

Somebody slapped him (don't know why) and he tried to jump over the table and attack back. He failed in this and was banned, I think for 2 years (which would have been more if he had succeeded).

Galroth
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
In many peoples opinion, Jack's outburst was reprimanded in an excessive way. Seriously, 2 years for being pissed off when somebody just slapped you? I'd have torn the guys head off... and probably thrown him out a window, not just broken a table.

I think the DCI should be commended for re-assessing their verdict and offering IBA some leniency. I also think the DCI should be shot for this Flash debacle.

Peter_Rotten
05-20-2007, 07:31 PM
There are like weird twists to the story. He called Calasso a stupid Mexican or something. Some random guy slaps him. He loses a shoe while jumping over said table. Random guy gets some sort of a lesser sentence. I'm not 100% on all the details.

ApokalypseKid9
05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I think this thread should be stickied to help all new members.

Rastadon
05-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Does it matter?

SpatulaOfTheAges
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I believe the reasoning for why the guy that actually engaged in physical violence got a lesser penalty was that Jack didn't feel "remorseful" enough. Granted that "stupid Mexican" kind of racist, but if you haven't gone on a road trip with Calosso, you can't complain. He tends to irritate the shit out of everybody every now and then, though in general he's a good guy.

So Jack says something racist, random hispanic guy overhears, they do a pissing contest for a little, guy slaps Jack, Jack jumps table, Jack gets banned.

PhanTom_lt
05-21-2007, 06:20 AM
I believe the reasoning for why the guy that actually engaged in physical violence got a lesser penalty was that Jack didn't feel "remorseful" enough. Granted that "stupid Mexican" kind of racist, but if you haven't gone on a road trip with Calosso, you can't complain. He tends to irritate the shit out of everybody every now and then, though in general he's a good guy.

So Jack says something racist, random hispanic guy overhears, they do a pissing contest for a little, guy slaps Jack, Jack jumps table, Jack gets banned.

I now officially hold that random hispanic guy guilty for the underdevelopment of the Truffle Shuffle deck.

And honestly, when i saw the thread title, i thought that IBA got banned again.

URABAHN
05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
And honestly, when i saw the thread title, i thought that IBA got banned again.

Actually, Jack Elgin aka IBA was disqualified from the 1st Evar Source UNHINGED draft! Caboose has the video.

Tacosnape
05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I never got the memo on how he managed to get unbanned. Anyone got an explanation or link?

And Flash is far more broken than Jack Elgin anyway. There's no reason to ban IBA and leave Flash.:cool:

Phantom
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Rumor is he got unbanned for the GP because he's going to join the Army...

Tacosnape
05-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Rumor is he got unbanned for the GP because he's going to join the Army...

I hope tables aren't a part of basic training.

But seriously? Wow. Mad respect if that's the case.

Caboose
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Jack got banned from the Unhinged draft by powergamer for getting mad over "infinite indestructible 2/2 fliers".

Video coming as soon as I figure out how to load it onto my computer. :wink:

Atwa
05-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Oh my god, I want to see that one.

BTW, what kind of camera do you have? I might be able to tell you how to upload it. Being an audiovisual technician does have it's advantages at times.

foursquare
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
By the way, I don't think Jack is gonna join the army. Anyone wanna take that bet?

Caboose
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
By the way, I don't think Jack is gonna join the army. Anyone wanna take that bet?

He said he will. The military lowered standards, so it should be pretty easy. You have to be "mentally, morally, and physically fit" to enlist, and Elgin seems pretty smart, so at least he has a starting point from which to work from. Besides, all that table leaping is going to pay off at basic training.

MattH
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I have serious doubts that they actually care about that "moral" part. I heard they're letting ex-felons and skinheads join.

Slay
05-21-2007, 06:13 PM
I have serious doubts that they actually care about that "moral" part. I heard they're letting ex-felons and skinheads join.

"Morally Fit" = "Able to kill brown people without hesitation".

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-21-2007, 09:05 PM
I want the record to show that Cheatyface can only be snuck into play from your hand, and that Zohar is a dirty fucking cheater for trying to replay the same RFG'd Cheatyface infinite times.

Also, the first one to say, "Duh, it's cheaty face!" better not be behind any tables.

I do. How much?

Yeah. I also hear that everyone who joins up is a gibbering retard, a sadist, and an immoral monster. It's very rarely backed up by anything usually just another sign of someone stereotyping anyone who shows honest to God commitment to an ethos they don't believe in as either an idiot or a monster.

Bryant Cook
05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
"Why was IBA unbanned?" He's mother fucking Jack Elgin, 'nouf said.

dre4m
05-21-2007, 11:28 PM
"Morally Fit" = "Able to kill brown people without hesitation".

This is among the most racist things I have ever read.

Caboose
05-21-2007, 11:35 PM
This is among the most racist things I have ever read.

But it's hilarious + truthery.

hugh1130
05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
It's very rarely backed up by anything usually just another sign of someone stereotyping anyone who shows honest to God commitment to an ethos they don't believe in as either an idiot or a monster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/14/us/14military.html?ex=1329109200&en=06c953182b1c51bb&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

not that I agree with Matth statement at all, but there is factual evidence to support it.

any one who joins the army is making a statement about there character, this statement is a loud, patriotic one and because of this I would only wish you luck in your future, and knowing only that you plan to join the army and nothing else is enough to earn my respect ( cause i dont have a clue who you are outside of that)

Caboose
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
cause i dont have a clue who you are

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i54/Sneepur/ibacaboose.jpg

Caboose on left. IBA on right. :laugh:

dre4m
05-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Caboose on left. IBA on right. :laugh:

Was that taken at your house?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Worse, Perkins.

Di
05-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Worse, Perkins.

Fuck you Perkins was awesome. When were you guys there? When went, the only people there were Calosso, Allen, and Diefendorf.

Plus, I ate more than anyone else, of course. Despite my size, I eat more than anyone you meet. Everyone in my group can attest to this.

sammiel
05-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Whats sad is that I recognized that as a Perkins just from the picture.

I had a doctor falsify information on a form to get a waiver for my eyesight when I enlisted.

GG UNCLE SAM NO RE

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-22-2007, 01:06 AM
They put mushrooms on my cheeseburger. I hate mushrooms.

And then we went to Waffle House for breakfast and they put mushrooms on my hashbrowns. This is all a giant fucking conspiracy against me, isn't it?

Tacosnape
05-22-2007, 01:16 AM
They put mushrooms on my cheeseburger. I hate mushrooms.

And then we went to Waffle House for breakfast and they put mushrooms on my hashbrowns. This is all a giant fucking conspiracy against me, isn't it?

They do it to me, too. I get fucking mushrooms everywhere. I've gotten mushrooms at a Taco Bell before. No Lie. I called them out on it. I was like, you don't even serve any fucking products that have mushrooms. Why is there a mushroom on my burrito? They tried to tell me it wasn't a Mushroom. But this wasn't up for debate.

Also, I was playing Super Mario Bros., the original, and there was a fucking mushroom in one of the very first item blocks. I mean, what. the. hell. This is going too far.

powergamer1003
05-22-2007, 01:27 AM
"I want the record to show that Cheatyface can only be snuck into play from your hand, and that Zohar is a dirty fucking cheater for trying to replay the same RFG'd Cheatyface infinite times."

So anyone who didn't hear the story, I played Cheatyface from the RFG pile and got it into play when Jack was looking away. The thing is that we were unsure if you can play a cheatyface after someone has caught you doing it. So we called a judge over who ruled on teh decision. He stated that you could do it. Jack then got really pissed off, refused to continue the match. In addition he stole the cheatyface and put it in his crotch. Furthermore, he started making ridiculous claims about how he can steal cheatyfaces and put them into play, since it doesn't say you can't on the card. Me and Mad Zur tried to explain, that theft is a bigger problem, as well as adding additional cards to a draft, Jack didn't lisen. He refused to contiue the match. Thus he was disquallifed from the 1st Source Unhinged draft...he also killed all the fun.

I also don't see how personally attacking me on the source is usefull at all.

Just so you know, the TO colloborated with some judges and JACK currently has an 18 month suspension from source unhinged drafts.

sammiel
05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
yet somehow, you come off sounding like a pedantic whiner and Jack just comes off sounding awesome.

Props to Jack for wiping his sack with the cheatyface, haha.

Cait_Sith
05-22-2007, 09:18 AM
yet somehow, you come off sounding like a pedantic whiner and Jack just comes off sounding awesome.

That implies Jack isn't always awesome.

Phantom
05-22-2007, 11:57 AM
That implies Jack isn't always awesome.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i54/Sneepur/ibacaboose.jpg

Puzzle
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
@ IBA : Your post was a bit disorganized. I took the liberty to re-arrange it.

I have serious doubts that they actually care about that "moral" part. I heard they're letting ex-felons and skinheads join.Yeah. I also hear that everyone who joins up is a gibbering retard, a sadist, and an immoral monster.

I do. How much?
You'll thank me later.

SpatulaOfTheAges
05-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I LoLed this thread.

Is it ironic that Jack names decks after foods he doesn't like?(I suppose Truffle Shuffle was named more after the Goonies, but his justification involved mushrooms=decay=bullshit.)

MattH
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah. I also hear that everyone who joins up is a gibbering retard, a sadist, and an immoral monster. It's very rarely backed up by anything usually just another sign of someone stereotyping anyone who shows honest to God commitment to an ethos they don't believe in as either an idiot or a monster.

Then let me hit you with a little knowledge, son:

"Another type of gang member has also begun to proliferate within the military, evidently thanks to lowered recruitment standards and an increasing tendency of recruiters to look the other way. In July, a study by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks racist and right-wing militia groups, found that because of pressing manpower concerns, "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" are now serving in the military. "Recruiters are knowingly allowing neo-Nazis and white supremacists to join the armed forces, and commanders don't remove them from the military even after we positively identify them as extremists or gang members," said Scott Barfield, a Defense Department investigator quoted in the report." (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/10/01/ING42LCIGK1.DTL)

"A decade after the Pentagon declared a zero-tolerance policy for racist hate groups, recruiting shortfalls caused by the war in Iraq have allowed "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" to infiltrate the military, according to a watchdog organization." (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/washington/07recruit.html?ex=1179979200&en=2eb7ac8f9859a781&ei=5070)

Here's some friendly advice: stop stereotyping those who disagree with you and putting words in other people's mouths before your drill sergeant catches wind.

And trim those sideburns, ya hippie.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Then let me hit you with a little knowledge, son:

"Another type of gang member has also begun to proliferate within the military, evidently thanks to lowered recruitment standards and an increasing tendency of recruiters to look the other way. In July, a study by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks racist and right-wing militia groups, found that because of pressing manpower concerns, "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" are now serving in the military. "Recruiters are knowingly allowing neo-Nazis and white supremacists to join the armed forces, and commanders don't remove them from the military even after we positively identify them as extremists or gang members," said Scott Barfield, a Defense Department investigator quoted in the report." (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/10/01/ING42LCIGK1.DTL)

"A decade after the Pentagon declared a zero-tolerance policy for racist hate groups, recruiting shortfalls caused by the war in Iraq have allowed "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" to infiltrate the military, according to a watchdog organization." (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/washington/07recruit.html?ex=1179979200&en=2eb7ac8f9859a781&ei=5070)

Here's some friendly advice: stop stereotyping those who disagree with you and putting words in other people's mouths before your drill sergeant catches wind.

And trim those sideburns, ya hippie.

Some counter-intel, Pops:

To sign up I had to swear, multiple times, that I had never been to see a doctor, never had backpain, never had headaches, never been unconscious, never been sick, and never been depressed, amongst other things. I was allowed a couple of speeding tickets and bad eyesight. Lowering standards is largely irrelevant because no one pays any attention to the standards they have now, nor could they afford to in order to have an army in excess of fifty people.

I don't see any proof that there is a vast increase in the criminal records and behavior of military personnel. I just see more punditry and vague accusations of "trolling for felons", complaints about graffiti, and an Aryan Supremacist magazine claiming that the Army is a white racist's dream... which is actually really funny if you're at all familiar with the ethnic makeup of the military.

I understand that offering more criminal waivers sounds terrifying if you're not familiar with how arbitrarily strict (and ignored) the standards of recruitment are, but I'm not exactly terrified of people that once ran a red light, were caught smoking pot, or stole a leather jacket when they were in high school.

I savor my sideburns while they last.

MattH
05-22-2007, 06:58 PM
To sign up I had to swear, multiple times, that I had never been to see a doctor, never had backpain, never had headaches, never been unconscious, never been sick, and never been depressed, amongst other things. I was allowed a couple of speeding tickets and bad eyesight.
Absolutely none of this is relevant in any way.

I'm not exactly terrified of people that once ran a red light, were caught smoking pot, or stole a leather jacket when they were in high school.
Only one of those is a felony, and then only sometimes (and probably shouldn't be at all). Those are not the crimes relevant to this discussion. Perhaps you missed these parts:

...a gang member facing federal charges of murder and robbery enlisted in the Marine Corps "while he was free on bond -- and was preparing to ship out to boot camp when Marine officials recently discovered he was under indictment."

In February, the Baltimore Sun wrote that there was "a significant increase in the number of recruits with what the Army terms 'serious criminal misconduct' in their background" -- a category that included "aggravated assault, robbery, vehicular manslaughter, receiving stolen property and making terrorist threats." From 2004 to 2005, the number of those recruits rose by more than 54 percent

The army HAS relaxed their standards of moral conduct, and it DOES let increasing numbers felons and skinheads in. You might not see that as a problem. But then, you might also be the kind of person who would write this ugly little screed as a response to a statement of fact:

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
The army HAS relaxed their standards of moral conduct, and it DOES let increasing numbers felons and skinheads in. You might not see that as a problem. But then, you might also be the kind of person who would write this ugly little screed as a response to a statement of fact:

Facts are funny things. For instance, this statement is a fact:

Many Asians smell like rotting cabbage.

But what does that statement mean? It is true that many Asians smell like rotten cabbage. There are around 3 billion Asian people in the world; by definition, "many" of them do just about anything. But am I simply commenting on a fact, or am I implying something by this statement? Am I saying that Asians, in general, are more likely to have poor hygiene than non-Asians? What was my motivation for making this statement?

You may say that you are simply stating a fact, but the implication of your words and of the articles you cite is clear. Without real evidence, they are trying to state that the military is becoming a den of thieves and criminals, hatemongers and sadists. The intention and final outcome could not be more clear here; this is merely stage 1 of an attempt to move popular sentiment away from respect for the military, back to the old standby of the anti-Vietnam War tactic of slandering and insulting the troops en masse.

We have one example of someone who slipped through the system and was removed once it was discovered what they had done, and a citation of a citation of a vague statement without statistical backing. This is a poor basis to build upon when you want to begin categorizing the military as a den of inequity and corruption and horrendous human rights abuses.

Peter_Rotten
05-22-2007, 07:54 PM

See...

Now why do you go and type things that you KNOW are going to inflame a bunch of "you're a racist" nonsense. Now I'm going to have to read a bunch of back of forth banter and flames and mod and blah blah blah. Why wouldn't you just say "Many Americans (or White males) smell like rotting cabbage"? Wouldn't that avoid the imminent stupidity that will result from your statement?

Caboose
05-22-2007, 08:25 PM
When the VaTech shooting happened and I joked about protecting myself from crazy asian attacks, Diablos almost beheaded me. Jack Elgin, however, has immunity on this site because he is so fucking awesome.

revenge_inc
05-22-2007, 08:30 PM

Although “many” can be interpreted in different ways, it does mean more than one. Where is your proof that at least two Asian people smell of rotting cabbage? (Among the 3 billion or so) :tongue:

revenge_inc
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
When the VaTech shooting happened and I joked about protecting myself from crazy asian attacks, Diablos almost beheaded me. Jack Elgin, however, has immunity on this site because he is so fucking awesome.

No because you are so fucking stupid &/or racist. Your comment was completely out of line and straight up racist, whereas his is purposefully ambiguous to prove a point.

EDIT: Rotten was right-The flame war has begun!

sammiel
05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
easy, just find two asians and throw rotting cabbage at them. fulfill your own declaration.

and anyone claiming that white supremacist groups are taking root in the army is an ignorant dumbass. I've never seen so damn many minorities as when I saw the NCO staff at fort benning.

revenge_inc
05-22-2007, 08:41 PM
easy, just find two asians and throw rotting cabbage at them. fulfill your own declaration.

:laugh: This is going to the quotes thread.

(You know I was just poking fun at IBA's argument right?)

Caboose
05-22-2007, 09:02 PM
No because you are so fucking stupid &/or racist.

You must not have gotten the memo. Everyone loves Caboose. You need to get on the bandwagon.

As for the racist thing, I actually have a huge flaming crush on the asian girl in my politics class, so fuck you, sir. [radley smiley]:laugh:[/radley smiley]

noobslayer
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I think your ego is too large for its own good. You should deflate it yourself before someone else is required to do so. And I wouldn't expect it to be even close to pleasant.

Caboose
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I think your ego is too large for its own good. You should deflate it yourself before someone else is required to do so. And I wouldn't expect it to be even close to pleasant.

I sorta like being Lil' Smmenen :wink:

revenge_inc
05-22-2007, 09:49 PM
As for the racist thing, I actually have a huge flaming crush on the asian girl in my politics class, so fuck you, sir. [radley smiley]:laugh:[/radley smiley]

How does that prove anything?
Is he pulling my leg or does he seriously not know how to argue?
Who knows...racism isn't logical. :confused:

Maybe he's the only one who doesn't get that the online Gearhart thin(maybe he does it in person too, I've never met the guy-seems cool though) is only a persona.

Leading Caboose to think that an inflated ego = Legacy success?

@ everyone else, is the guy really that bad in person?

MattH
05-22-2007, 10:11 PM
<rambling irrelevancy>
I stated a fact ("I heard they're letting in felons and skinheads"). You (insultingly) asked for evidence, and when I produced that evidence, you decide you just don't want to believe it. How wonderful for you. I suppose seeing enemies around every corner will come in handy soon enough, but for now it's definitely a bad way to go about your day.

This is a poor basis to build upon when you want to begin categorizing the military as a den of inequity and corruption and horrendous human rights abuses.
Watch how the master works, kids. See what he's done here, building those strawmen? Craftsmanship like this takes years to learn.

Back in reality, I never said any of that nonsense. I'm sure Jack would like it if I had, because that would mean he gets to play Super Patriot Boy. Truth is, he has no idea what I think about the military in general* or specifics about various components of it, nor the activities thereof, no idea how many friends and family members I have overseas right now, because I have never said one word about my opinions. Bereft of something to attack, the wild Elgin reverts to its instinctual behavior, a complicated display scientists refer to as "making ridiculous shit up." Truly a wonder of nature, this magnificent beast.

*apart from regretting the admission of felons and skinheads.

Caboose
05-22-2007, 10:55 PM
How does that prove anything?
Is he pulling my leg or does he seriously not know how to argue?
Who knows...racism isn't logical. :confused:

If I hated asians, I wouldn't want to nail the asian girl in my class. I would be like "Man, fuck that shit! Where's some cracker bitches at?"

@ everyone else, is the guy really that bad in person?

Are you really that noobtacular? You make radley look like Jack Elgin, which I thought was impossible until today.

Phantom
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
If I hated asians, I wouldn't want to nail the asian girl in my class. I would be like "Man, fuck that shit! Where's some cracker bitches at?"

Yeah, because slave owners weren't racist, and none of them EVER banged their slaves...

revenge_inc
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Having a crush on someone of another race &or ethnic group only means that you may not have an intolerant outlook on that particular group even if you still have prejudices against that group.

This doesn't exclude the fact that you can hate another race. (eg. Caboose is chill with asians but may hate black people)

Yeah, because slave owners weren't racist, and none of them EVER banged their slaves...

QFIrrelevancy, ya slave owners were racist, and maybe some sexually abused their slaves. Which would suggest you could lust after a member of a race you consider inferior, but since there is no way to prove that those who did were racist and not conforming to the social norms instead...well...the comment serves no purpose.

Caboose
05-22-2007, 11:21 PM
lolz, I only hate Canadians, because they accuse me of being racist. :cool:

I like asians, and you can tell because I love the girl in my class, and I hang on Roland Chang and NantukoShady's balls at every magic event.

I like black people, and you can tell because I like rap music and barbeque sauce.

revenge_inc
05-22-2007, 11:39 PM
lolz, I only hate Canadians, because they accuse me of being racist. :cool:

Better watch out guys, because of me Caboose is spreading his racist vibes North.

(I'm picturing Caboose driving North for a Legacy Side Event at GP Montr&#233;al and jumping over tables &#224; la Jack Elgin trying to take on every Canuck in the room)

I like black people, and you can tell because I like rap music and barbeque sauce.

You know your argument is fucked up when you're arguing your not a racist with the aid of racist sterotypes.

Caboose
05-22-2007, 11:54 PM
You know your argument is fucked up when you're arguing your not a racist with the aid of racist sterotypes.

So, I herd you liek being trolled. :wink:

Phantom
05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
QFIrrelevancy, ya slave owners were racist, and maybe some sexually abused their slaves. Which would suggest you could lust after a member of a race you consider inferior, but since there is no way to prove that those who did were racist and not conforming to the social norms instead...well...the comment serves no purpose.

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually comparing him to a slave owner. It was a JOKE. Pull the stick out of your butt and get a sense of humor.

revenge_inc
05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Believe it or not, I wasn't actually comparing him to a slave owner. It was a JOKE. Pull the hockeystick out of your butt and get a sense of humor.

Ya I know you weren't and ya I got the sarcasm, it just wasn't funny. Sorry if my reply came off as rude, no offense meant.:frown:

Speaking of stereotypes, I edited the quote for stereotype-icity. :tongue:

Zilla
05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Locked for dumbness.