PDA

View Full Version : Summer magic championships in syracuse

Janos_Wuryon
05-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Hello every one. I am starting this thread to see if having a legacy championship series over the summer is viable. The idea as follows is a rough one but I think it will work.

starting in june (TBD) every week an event will be held at Comix Zone in syracuse as normal but each week players earn points based on there performance. At the end of the season the top players will be rewarded with prizes based on there ranking.

the thought is this, there will be three large events during the 3 month season, one at the beggining middle and end. These will have good prizes plus be worth points towards an overall prize. the weekly events will count toward this total and be held as normal. at the end of the season ( Aug 31st) the top finishers overall will recieve a very good prize. So you get rewarded for doing the things you want to do anyway and that is play competitive legacy.

As an added incentive there is a larger all encompasing series going on so if you compete in mulitple formats you can win multiple prizes ( like the winning the AFC/NFC and the superbowl)

The specifics are in the works but it will only happen if there is serious interest from a dedicated group of players. If the support from players is there the store support will stay strong. I already spoke the Comix zone owner about this and he is for it if it will be well attended.

So I invite feedback from all of you out there on your interest. I would like to see this bring together the rochester and other non syracuse players as well so that the turn outs will be good and the format you love can have a permanent home and maybe someday a major event. Hows GP syracuse sound? who knows.

Shriekmaw
05-21-2007, 08:52 PM
If something can be arranged that is fair to all magic players, I'm sure everyone would support it. I think it would be best if we seperated different magic formats. For example, you can do a Summer Magic Championship for Legacy, Sealed, and Standard. I know a lot of players only play certain formats in the area.

bigbear102
05-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I would say have it be for all 3 formats at the same time. You can earn points in any of the formats, and then the culminating tourney has all three formats. Like 4 rounds of Legacy, 4 of Standard, and a top 8 Draft or something like that. I would definately be interested and would attend something like this.

Janos_Wuryon
05-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I might have got this confused so let me try to straighten it out a bit.

Each format will have its own winner. So if you get the most points at legacy you get a prize for winning the legacy summer league. Also the points you earn in legacy add towards the overall championships. So you can compete in just legacy or in multiple formats, each having its own prize support and culminating into the overall standings at summers end.

the tourny idea was a way to get people into the store at the start of the season to get the league running. these would be bonus events with better than normal prizes ( compared to regular weekly events) but still count toward your overall summer standing.

its the same as the altered summer champs witht the added bonus that you can only pay one format if you choose and still have a chance to win a good prize at summers end.

hopefully that makes sense. and also I was planning on having a large event in the other fotmats as well to start the seasons

Oathmaster
05-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Hello,

A couple of us up here in Watertown will be interested but we will only be down for the legacy events.

We would need to know dates, times and prize structure when you hammer it all out.

Thanks

scrumdogg
05-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Nice to see that my ASMCKU concept is still alive & well :cool: Good luck with this & hopefully I can start getting to large Quse events again now that I'm not working as much on weekends. Any organizational help that you need with this, feel free to PM me.

Janos_Wuryon
05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Good to see some more interest. Well the basic event structure is this

every saturday there is a regular legacy tournament worth one point for attending. placing in the event is worth additional points based on attendance. These events will have regular pack/credit prizes based on the attendance.

at the start and end of the summer there will be larger events on saturday or sunday( prob. saturday) that will be worth additional points to the winners and the prizes will be better, probably at least one will be for dual lands if the participation is up over the summer.

then to clarify the overall prizes if at summers end you have the most points in legacy ( from event wins and appearences) you recieve a prize for being the summers legacy champion. Also if your overall points ( from legacy, limited and standard) are high enough you may earn addiditonal prizes as the overall champion.

Hope this helps to clarify somethings. also I understand that for players in rochester, watertown this is a bit of a trip to make weekly but the hope is tht if this is well attended and people travel then the store can host more regular big events. more dual land drafts and such. OK ill have more specifics up when i get them and maybe I coudl here from the rochester players about there interest

Brushwagg
05-22-2007, 09:33 PM
We already get a good turn out at Comix Zone, so I don't see people not playing in this being a problem.

Deger
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
there was a judge or well group of them that did this a while back in Pgh. there were different events all over the area 1-2 a week. The did a season and everyone got points. They awarded tropheys at the end of the season to 1st through 3rd in each type (vintage/legacy - Extended - Standard - Limited) and then 1st through 5th I think for a composite rating. For tourney prizes they had a binder of cards and you could pick what you wanted based on points or hold the points to get bigger prizes. Sometimes you coould use the points to get into limited events -- since they provided the product-- it was really cool..

the composite thing was really cool. I actually got 4th one season just by consistently making top 8's in all the formats..

this is a cool idea and more people should do it