View Full Version : BLOCK CONSTRUCTED JUNE 16th @ PLAY THE GAME

alteredstates
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
When: June 16 - 11:00am

Where: Main Store - Carousel Center Mall

Prize(s): BOOSTER BOX PRIZES

Entry Fee: $10

Details:
EVERY ENTRY RECEIVES A JAPANESE MAGIC BOOSTER PACK! FIRST PLACE GETS A BOOSTER BOX OF EACH SET IN TIME SPIRAL BLOCK!!! SECOND PLACE EARNS TWO BOOSTER BOXES. THIRD & FOURTH EARN A BOOSTER BOX. THIS EVENT WILL BE SANCTIONED. Practice for the Grand Prix or try a new format and win BIG prizes!! Play the Game is bringing back the BIG Magic tournaments for summer so join us for the first of a series of BIG tournaments sponsored by Play the Game, Read the Story!!

Shriekmaw
05-21-2007, 08:50 PM
A tournament which great prize support, I'll definitely be there. I would like to see a Type 2 event held with similar prize support sometime during the summer.

bigbear102
05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Are these prizes guaranteed?

Hummingbird TG
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Tournaments like this make me wish I lived in America...

Holo_rip
05-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Tournaments like this make me wish I lived in America...
Do you mean that you don't like 40+ people tourny with, as first place prize a single underground sea ?
Well i guess that if your french, you'll have to, cause it's generally that what you get.
Poor me =/

Holo.

alteredstates
05-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, prizes are guaranteed with a sanctioned event (ie. eight players). With these kind of prizes, we'll have AT LEAST eight players.

Brushwagg
05-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Awesome!

Hummingbird TG
05-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Do you mean that you don't like 40+ people tourny with, as first place prize a single underground sea ?
Well i guess that if your french, you'll have to, cause it's generally that what you get.
Poor me =/

Holo.

Well, I'm not french. I'm asian. And I don't even know where the local tournaments are.

Shriekmaw
05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Who is showing up to this thing? Are we actually going to have some Legacy players try this new and unique format in Time Spiral block constructed?

I think this event will be a lot of fun, with a lot of good interesting decks that will show up.

Brushwagg
05-29-2007, 10:19 PM
I want to go. Since Flash.Format isn't alot fun right now.

Janos_Wuryon
05-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Im going due to the outrageous prizes. I wonder what they will do if they get over 20 people? the store cant comfortably fit more than that and on a weekend the mall will be packed with idiot kids and shopppers. I hope they have a contigency for this.
Hey on a related note why are legacy players, in general such format elitests. Most I have met only play legacy and despise other formats. I understand why you would like legacy but why the hate for other things like block and T2. maybe this should be a seperate thread but I figure this is a good place to start

Afro
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey on a related note why are legacy players, in general such format elitests. Most I have met only play legacy and despise other formats. I understand why you would like legacy but why the hate for other things like block and T2. maybe this should be a seperate thread but I figure this is a good place to start

I know that when I heavily played magic I'd play legacy, vintage, and extended. As far as block and T2 I know many on here spend too much on cards as is and don't like spending money on cards that become worthless in 2 years time.

Shriekmaw
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I know that when I heavily played magic I'd play legacy, vintage, and extended. As far as block and T2 I know many on here spend too much on cards as is and don't like spending money on cards that become worthless in 2 years time.

I don't think playing type 2 is all that pricey. I agree that type 2 is a little more expensive now then before, but thats largely due to the Ravinca shock lands that we currently have in the format. You can make a top tier type 2 deck for around 120 dollars that will be good for awhile. I don't think that is asking too much to consider playing type 2 in this area.

I agree that your investment does stay in Legacy, but if your smart the type 2 investment will do you well also in extended where a lot of the older type 2 cards go. Occasionally, Legacy picks up on some type 2 cards that are very good when printed.

alteredstates
05-30-2007, 10:02 PM
We are currently planning for a larger than normal turn out and have made arrangements with the mall to have the wing across from H & M available to us (where they do the Sunday pre-release events).

Mulletus
05-31-2007, 12:50 PM
What's good in block? I think I'll try red-white slivers, I like the slivercycling. Maybe evil-eye mono black. I'll prolly just shake my binder and play what falls out.

cdr
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Just play storm like every other format.

Getsickanddie
05-31-2007, 03:31 PM

I don't like playing with new cards. As an example, pretty much every deck I've played over the course of the last three years has contained Berserk or Standstill.

alteredstates
06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
For those that have attended summer store events in the past, you know about ASMCKU(altered states magic championship of the known universe), this will be the first big event of the new PG MCKU summer league! By attending this event you will earn DOUBLE POINTS! See our website for the details about PG MCKU!

The Pre-reg dead line for the Time Spiral Block event is Friday, June 15th. You can pre-reg on the website www.playthegamereadthestory.com anytime or in the store. at the door the entry fee will be $12.

Shriekmaw
06-10-2007, 11:51 AM
I encourage everyone that plays magic in Syracuse to come and play in this event. It has really been a long time, since we had a big non-legacy magic event in Syracuse. I hope to see a lot of the local magic players there, and this should be an awesome and fun event.

kirdape3
06-10-2007, 12:01 PM
It might even get me to come out. 36 draft sets is a lot - and if it isn't, EBaying the 3 boxes certainly is.

Janos_Wuryon
06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
hey the advertised price was 10$ when this thread started now its 12?? maybe they will change the prizes to be credit worth 7 boxes, as long as its not anythign relevent. yeah coldsnap boxes... seriously though Im glad that they are having this event and it will be well attended even if we have to sit in the middle of the mall, on saturday, being gawked at by all the passerbys.
Either way maybe this event, with its relevent prizes will encourage altered to start actually offering quality events again on a regular basis.

bigbear102
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I suggest that when you randomly change the price of an event a week before it starts, one, you give some justification, and 2 you edit the first post so that people who just give it a quick glance know the price went up.

How did I know they would do something to this tourney, still a good tourney, but you guys just can't manage to stick to your word and run something the way you say you will can you?

Guy I Don't Know
06-16-2007, 07:57 PM
that was the weirdest tournament i have ever played in.

Shriekmaw
06-16-2007, 10:09 PM
It was a very odd tournament indeed. I'm not sure what was worse, getting to play your matches when the sun is beating down on you all day or the number of people that got to look down to see what exactly we were doing all day.

DampingEngine
06-16-2007, 10:34 PM
For the record, the top 4 was me, Nick Muraca, Ed Brown, and Jamie Kurlya (I believe I'm the only one on the Source). We split, each getting 1 Future Sight box, 18 Planar Chaos packs, and 9 Time Spiral packs. Not bad for 10 bucks. Nick was playing mono blue, Ed was playing UG with Imperiosaur and Venser, Jamie was playing UB with the 2 splashes, and I was playing mono red. To add to the weirdness of the event, the judge had us deck check our opponent before we played top 8, so we knew every card in each other's deck.

Getsickanddie
06-17-2007, 12:04 AM
HAHAHAHA, wow they actually were going to/changed the price of entry a week before the event!!!

And this is why people don't show up to tournaments at whateverthefuckthenameofyourstoreisthisweek.

Shriekmaw
06-17-2007, 11:34 AM
For the record, the top 4 was me, Nick Muraca, Ed Brown, and Jamie Kurlya (I believe I'm the only one on the Source). We split, each getting 1 Future Sight box, 18 Planar Chaos packs, and 9 Time Spiral packs. Not bad for 10 bucks. Nick was playing mono blue, Ed was playing UG with Imperiosaur and Venser, Jamie was playing UB with the 2 splashes, and I was playing mono red. To add to the weirdness of the event, the judge had us deck check our opponent before we played top 8, so we knew every card in each other's deck.

Getting to look at decklists before the top 8 is not new at all. In bigger events all Top 8 players are able to look at all the decklists before any matches are played. The main reason this is done is to have the best player win.

I was disappointed in just about every tournament in Syracuse there is a spilt. Does anyone ever believe in playing it out anymore?

cdr
06-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Getting to look at decklists before the top 8 is not new at all. In bigger events all Top 8 players are able to look at all the decklists before any matches are played. The main reason this is done is to have the best player win.

That is not really true. The only reason to show decklists is to give people an "even" footing on scouting.

What it ends up doing, though, is really changing the dynamic of the top 8 matches. Most tournament organizers I know of have stopped showing decklists.

You're allowed to do it either way, though.

Having the top 8 check each other's decks seemed especially poor.

Guy I Don't Know
06-17-2007, 09:35 PM
well there wasnt eally judges... just a few judges who came to play not judge and ppl who knew the rules also playing

Bryant Cook
06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I was disappointed in just about every tournament in Syracuse there is a spilt. Does anyone ever believe in playing it out anymore?
I always play it out in major events, may the best man win, no?

Shriekmaw
06-18-2007, 08:29 PM
I always play it out in major events, may the best man win, no?

I agree in bigger events, you should play it out. I can understand it if its a local legacy or FNM tournament. Spilting in big events, just sounds stupid to me.

Janos_Wuryon
06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah taking a split in an event where you cant judge the matchups is OK. So if this was a t2 event and you didnt know what you might face i could see the split but in block, where there are only a few viable decks you should know your matchups. I think the Monored and the UB players should have played it out. there the only reliable tier 1 decks. Still nearly 2 boxes for ten bucks aint bad

Shriekmaw
06-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah taking a split in an event where you cant judge the matchups is OK. So if this was a t2 event and you didnt know what you might face i could see the split but in block, where there are only a few viable decks you should know your matchups. I think the Monored and the UB players should have played it out. there the only reliable tier 1 decks. Still nearly 2 boxes for ten bucks aint bad

I just wish the next time there is a big event that top 8 has prizes, not just the top 4. This simply shouldn't happen where top 4 only gets prizes when you get 42 people to come and play in this event. I feel bad for everyone that made top 8 and walked away with nothing. That is just great, drive all the way out here, play good magic to make top 8, and then lose and go home with nothing. That makes a lot of sense to me. Isn't a tournament hosted suppose to be for the players that play and support this game locally.

Call me crazy, but I think tournaments are for the players. Maybe I'm wrong.

kirdape3
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, driving an hour plus, making Top 8, and getting stone nothing was real fun. At least the site was pleasant enough.

Janos_Wuryon
06-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Well the lack of prizes shouldnt surprise anyone. Im amazed that they would leave the prizes as is without having an attendance minimum. They definitly should have had prizes for t8 even if it meant reducing 2-4 place some this way everyone who made it got something. Hopefully this event will serve to teach them that good prizes and a fair entry fee will encourage larger turnouts. I could see them doing one of these for t2 and having similar results.