PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Bill Stark T8 Suicide

Peter_Rotten
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Here is Bill Stark post about his T8 at the GP:

Hey guys and gals-

This is Bill Stark, from the top 8 at ole' GP Columbus. I'm actually the editor for the Magic Webzine Londes.com and my tournament report from the event is published there. I thought I would link to it from here in case anyone is interested in reading how the tournament went from a first hand retelling.

Part 1: http://londes.com/index.php?id=1325
Part 2: http://londes.com/index.php?id=1327

There will be a how-to guide on the deck published next week; I would encourage anyone interested in why I played the deck and picked the cards that were in it to check that out.

Also, if you would like to get a hold of me for some reason, try using my email instead of PMing me here.

Thanks,
Bill Stark
editor, Londes.com
billtriesagain@hotmail.com

(Mod note: this is copy/pasted from my original post in the Sui Black forum, solely to point others who might be interested in a report from the event and is not intended as spam. If there are any concerns, drop me an email...)

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Stark, not Sparks.

I'm loving the plethora of Order of the Ebon Hands over the weekend. I'm wondering why he played Stromgald Crusader over Knight of Stromgald. Was it just the synergy with Sarcomancy? First Strike seems better than Flying in a deck that has to play both offense and defense, particularly when you can't get your toughness above 1.

JACO
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Stark, not Sparks.

I'm loving the plethora of Order of the Ebon Hands over the weekend. I'm wondering why he played Stromgald Crusader over Knight of Stromgald. Was it just the synergy with Sarcomancy? First Strike seems better than Flying in a deck that has to play both offense and defense, particularly when you can't get your toughness above 1.
It has to due with the fact that he's playing 4 Umezawa's Jitte. First Strike is irrelevant when you can fly over with a Jitte equipped creature and decimate any type of defense your opponent can muster.

Ewokslayer
05-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I have always found First Strike + Jitte to be pretty damn good at owning creatures.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I have always found First Strike + Jitte to be pretty damn good at owning creatures.

Quoted for truth. I forget who said it, but there was a strong opinion last year that the best combo in Type 2 was Paladin en-Vec and Umezawa's Jitte. When do you relaly care that they blocked your first-striking Jitte carrying dude?

Tacosnape
05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought "Dark Ritual, Storm at one" was the best opening play ever. Brilliant and hilarious, even if it didn't really affect the game.

Peter_Rotten
05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Stark, not Sparks.

Thanks, fixed.

Jiaozy
05-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Stark, not Sparks.

Just a wild guess, maybe it's meant to kill Serra Avengers against Fish decks if your opponent has a Jitte too?

Barook
05-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Excellent read. And i agree that the storm opening was really brilliant and hilarious. The only thing i found a bit alienating and confusing is that he suggests his deck and creatures are females. :confused:

PS:

Stark, not Sparks.
Stark is really an awesome name (german for "strong"). :cool:

Ewokslayer
05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
The only thing i found a bit alienating and confusing is that he suggests his deck and creatures are females. :confused:

Depending on the picture of Order of the Ebon Hand they are.
Though giving a gender to the other creatures is just werid as they are all undead.

Phantom
05-25-2007, 02:29 PM
@flying vs. First Strike: It could just be for variety as there are many times when flying is better than first strike, like when facing multiples blockers. Also, if he was expecting a lot of fish, he might have expected a lot of weenie flyers. (I'm not sure if it was the right call still)

I enjoyed the read muchly. I like me some in depth match descriptions. I both marvel at and question his deck choices. It seems so simple, in a similar way to Chang's Madness build, no bombs, just solid, cheap cards. I just can't see how big Negs isn't in the build somewhere.

Jiaozy
05-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Though giving a gender to the other creatures is just werid as they are all undead.He refers to girls to every creature: Grim Lavamancers and Bobs alike :laugh:

Atwa
05-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Just a wild guess, maybe it's meant to kill Serra Avengers against Fish decks if your opponent has a Jitte too?

In case you haven't noticed, Jitte is Legendary.

Nihil Credo
05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Jitte is Legendary.

True, but a jump knight would block a Jitte-wielding Angel, not receive any damage (thus not triggering Jitte), and if BB was paid it would also kill the Avenger. While a pump knight would look in dismay as the Angel flies above him and accumulates Jitte counters.

“Okay,” says judge one, leaning in on our match and pointing at things. “The Chain of Vapor targets the Leyline of the Void. When the Leyline goes back…”

“Graveyard or RFG?” Nick interrupts. This catches the judge a bit off guard, as he was prepared to demonstrate his prowess of rules understanding and pointing out where we may have gotten confused. I note that this actually is a great example demonstrating a difference between some judges and the players they serve. While judges might want some fine dining, dancing, and a long conversation by the fireplace, players kind of just want to get to the part right after we coyly ask if we can come up to your apartment for coffee.
Great reporting. And Mono Black of any sort always deserves a kudos from me.

And yes, the "Storm 1" bluff is also pretty fun.

etrigan
05-25-2007, 06:21 PM

That's pretty sad if you choose the card art just because it has a woman on it.

Personally, I like the Order of the Ebon Hand with the pog slammer for a shield.

Happy Gilmore
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I just want to clerify that those two Efreets in game 3 were put into play via Flash/Hulk. I boarded out the 6 combo pieces for 3x Negator and 3x Efreet plus two bounce spells: Rushing River and Echoing Truth. I believe I take out 1x LDV and 1x Portent in addition.