PDA

View Full Version : Where is the West Coast Legacy?

Gambit
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
It seems basically all large Legacy tournaments are on the East Coast; where is the West Coast Legacy. Is there just no interest? Does LA have any tournaments on a regular basis? Somebody point me in the right direction.

Finn
06-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Welcome to The Source.

xsockmonkeyx
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Welcome. There are currently no legacy tourney's in the LA area. There is a thread here (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5825) from a couple weeks ago where we were discussing possibly getting something going in the future, but really nothing definite has materialized. The closest weekly tourney is in San Diego.

Kronicler
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
I organize Legacy tournaments in Berkeley (near SF) on and off, but I haven't heard of any tourneys in LA.

Kronicler

revenge_inc
06-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Unlike the East Coast, the West Coast if VERY spread out. The only big cities along the whole length are:

Vancouver BC
Seattle
Portland
SF Bay area
LA/San Diego

(I may have missed a few inland)
The answer to that question would then be: how many players in each of those cities/areas are willing to play Legacy, and how long are they willing to drive to play it?

Pinder
06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
It seems basically all large Legacy tournaments are on the East Coast; where is the West Coast Legacy. Is there just no interest? Does LA have any tournaments on a regular basis? Somebody point me in the right direction.

Legacy on the West Coast, ha! You're funny.

Seriously though, there isn't as big a Legacy presence over here as there is in, say , NoVa, but at least there is some. I help organize and run a small tourney out of Northwestern Washington state, but so far as I can tell, there's nothing like Kaddy's or the D4D on the west coast. Cardhaus (based in Lynnwood, where I live) holds some decently large Legacy sometimes, but those are few and far between. I want to organize some sort of big Legacy shindig up here near Seattle, but I don't really have the time or the resources to do so right now. Maybe we can convince Cascade Games (the major TO up here in the NW) to do some Legacy, though.

But yeah, West Coast isn't really where it's at for Legacy.

Gambit
06-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I guess that is true; we are fairly spread out. However, I feel as though if a large event was arranged a good turnout would happen. Some fairly centralized location, as I figure everyone would be willing to drive a few hours for an event such as a starcity Duel for Duals. Someone get crackin' on this! Us West coasters need something to look forward to!

Needed: Suggestions for the following:

-Location (City, Store?)
-Prize Support
-Entrance fee? Pre-reg?

Just trying to guage interest; how far would everyone be willing to travel and for what type of turnout / prizes?

Pinder
06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
If I had to pick a City to hold some sort of big Legacy tourney, off the top of my head it would probably be Portland, simply because Oregon is right smack in the middle between Washington and California. I'd really like to hold something in Seattle, maybe in a room in the Washington State Convention Center or Seattle Center (which they use for Prereleases), but that would be a hell of a drive up from Cali. Either way, though, we need to get together and organize something, at least.

revenge_inc
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
You know what?, The only big cities on the West Coast that haven't had a GP are Portland and Vancouver. Maybe petition Wizards to hold the next one there (probably won't work, but you guys can try it if you want)

A much more realistic idea is to get a major Legacy side event at the GP in San Francisco in August. I'm sure that if enough people write letters to the T.O's, you could pull that one off.

Gambit
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Hmmm...A large side event does sound realistic. Does anyone have any contact information for a TO there? Kronicler?

revenge_inc
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Here are the links:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/grandprix/sanfrancisco07

The T.O.'s phone # an email are listed at:
http://matchplay.com/

The side events don't seem to be posted so you may still have time to give your pitch for a Legacy one. Good Luck.

Gambit
06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the links, any suggestions from people on selling points for why Legacy should be hosted over other formats?

Ideas:

-Recent GP columbus success
-Lack of a "Real" legacy tournament on west coast for far too long
-Format Diversity
-????

Gambit
06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I sent an email to the TO a few days ago with no response yet; I encourage others to do the same! Let's try to make this happen!

revenge_inc
06-08-2007, 04:19 PM
@Finn According to the schedule, there will also be a GP in Daytona Beach
(I'm gessing the city in Florida-I don't know of any other city by the same name). You could try to get a side-evet running as well. I mean North Florida is better than nothing right...

Epheniculles
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I would like to make a trip out to the west coast, but I sure wouldn't want to revisit Portland, and Portland isn't the center. It is more like San Francisco. California is so huge that anyone from southern california wouldn't want to go.

San Francisco/Bay Area as well as L.A and San Diego would provide more players I'd think than Portland. Seattle even sounds like a nice place I'd travel to inorder to play in a D4D or something. Cities are a large attraction for me. Columbus wasn't interesting, but I knew it would be a huge event.

Out here in the east and midwest it only takes me about 10-11 hours to drive from Chicago to Roanoke. That is less than a full easy day of driving, and shorter than most places out west.

I used mapquest and looked up times for driving from San Diego to San Fran and Seatle to San Fran, then I started looking up other locations.

San Diego to San Fran ~8 hours
Seattle to San Fran ~12 hours

Seattle to Portland ~3 hours
San Diego to Portland ~17 hours
San Diego to Seattle ~20 hours
Chicago to Seattle ~30 hours
Chicago to San Fran ~30 hours
Chicago to L.A. ~29 hours

I think Denver is a nice option.
It would be the best choice for a west event IMHO. Take a look at the times to drive, and think many would fly.
Chicago to Denver ~15 hours
San Fran to Denver ~18 hours
San Diego to Denver ~16 hours
L.A. to Denver ~15 hours
Portland to Denver ~18 hours
Seattle to Denver ~19 hours
Vegas to Denver ~11 hours
Phoenix to Denver ~13 hours
Dallas to Denver ~13 hours
Roanoke to Denver ~23 hours
Syracuse to Denver ~25 hours

Vegas could be an option as well considering you can fly in for cheap, and if you scrub out there is plenty to do for us who are over 21.

AngryTroll
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
There is a weekly Legacy with decent (12-20 turnout, average in the 12-16 range) in Vancouver, Washington, at the Batcave. Not huge, but with a good amount of competitive decks and players.

I'd love to see a big Legacy event out here somewhere.

thefreakaccident
06-11-2007, 06:01 PM
the weekly tourney that I attend usually has about 20 people come in, I live in San Diego BTW... I know A LOT! of legacy players here, its just the lack of transportation/interest that keeps our tournies small.

Up until just last year, we used to have turn outs of like 30-40, I know it was a lot... but then people just lost interest.

I think that if we actually got a large event going, we could probably spark the life into this area once more... Perhapes I could try to throw something together, this is me just thinking out loud though.

don't get your hopes up!

Gambit
06-11-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm yet to hear back from the TO for GP SF; others should try to contact him and see if we can get a large Legacy side event going.

frogboy
06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Chicago to Denver ~15 hours
San Fran to Denver ~18 hours
San Diego to Denver ~16 hours
L.A. to Denver ~15 hours
Portland to Denver ~18 hours
Seattle to Denver ~19 hours
Vegas to Denver ~11 hours
Phoenix to Denver ~13 hours
Dallas to Denver ~13 hours
Roanoke to Denver ~23 hours
Syracuse to Denver ~25 hours

um, this is actually a really bad reason to have a tournament in Denver.

You will be lucky to have people make the Portland-Seattle drive for a Legacy event.

Epheniculles
06-12-2007, 01:30 PM
um, this is actually a really bad reason to have a tournament in Denver.

You will be lucky to have people make the Portland-Seattle drive for a Legacy event.

Maybe people should just fly. It costs about the same or less.

nightshade81
06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Is anyone in the Vancouver/Portland area interested in trying to organize our own large event?

Sims
06-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Maybe people should just fly. It costs about the same or less.

Unless there is some serious prize support that is set in stone regardless of attendance, or it were a GP or similar sized event, I don't see many people flying or driving to Denver just for one tournament. Plane tickets and gas are expensive, not to mention hotel fees and such, just to up and go to Denver for a weekend to play an event that may or may not be on a decent sized scale.

Nightmare
06-12-2007, 02:31 PM
The fact of the matter is no one is going to spend 300 bucks and a weekend flying out somewhere where the best they can do is win and break even, otherwise losing a few hundred dollars. That's why most of the events we have are in the NE. Generally speaking, shit's a lot closer over here than it is in the Wild Wild West.

Bardo
06-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Is anyone in the Vancouver/Portland area interested in trying to organize our own large event?

Many of us are interested in playing. The organizing? No, not so much.

jazzykat
06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm from NM but if something really bitching happened and someone put me up for the weekend I would be willing to fly almost anywhere. I am especially interested in Vancouver and Seattle because I hear they are awesome cities. That way if/when I scrub out we can go for a good dinner and clubs.

Epheniculles
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm from NM but if something really bitching happened and someone put me up for the weekend I would be willing to fly almost anywhere. I am especially interested in Vancouver and Seattle because I hear they are awesome cities. That way if/when I scrub out we can go for a good dinner and clubs.

That's what I'm talking about. That is why I'd never want to go to Portland again. (Also known as Porkland)

Gambit
06-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I feel like SF would be a great centralized WestCoast Location. Everyone send emails to the TO!

Galroth
06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Pipin' in to let you know I want 'this' (read: something) to happen. Seems like Portland, Vancouver, Wa., and Seattle all have a weekly tournament with roughly 12-20 players each going on. 50+ players is a decent turn out. 3 hours drive is worth my time. Pinder, Bardo, AngryTroll... you guys should talk :)

jeremys
06-13-2007, 08:40 PM
There's legacy in Portland? I was under the impression it was canceled due to lack of interest. The only place I knew of was the Batcave in vancouver although it's probably been a year and a half or more since I've played.

Pinder
06-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Alright, fuck it, all this talk and the EPIC DLD thing has really given me the TO bug. I wanna do this. Bad.

So, how far would people be willing to drive/fly to something like this? Assume the turnout would be decent (between 50~100 players),the prize support would be guaranteed (something along the lines of playsets of duals for the top 8-ish), and the tourney fee would be 20~30 bucks.

From what I've read, the two cities I can see this most likely happening in are Seattle and Vancouver, but those aren't necessarily set in stone. I of course vote for Seattle, being that I live there, but I would be willing to drive/ride as far as Sacramento or San Francisco (but probably not San Diego). Seattle and Vancouver (possibly Portland, if it ends up there somehow) would probably be the most comfortable trips for me.

Also, include your location alongside how far you'd be willing to go, so we know exactly where the main group of interest is.

TheDarkshineKnight
06-14-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm willing to go as far north as Portland. Any further up north simply doesn't work for me.

Oh, and I live in Fresno, California, which is smackdab in the middle of the state.

thefreakaccident
06-14-2007, 03:45 AM
hey! My uncle lives in Fresno!!!

I think that if there is going to be any tournies, it should be centralized for everywhere in the west. That way it would be fair/reasonable. Now, depending on legacy players and their concentrations.. the 'center' would change of coarse.

I live in SD, and I know a lot of players in this area and L.A., is there a way we could find a location within a day's drive? (by days drive I mean like within 12 hours).

Gambit
06-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I vote SF or Sacto; this still seems to me to be the more centralized location. Plus San Fran is a cool city in general. This would be about a 6 hour drive for me, no problem

Pinder
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
is there a way we could find a location within a day's drive? (by days drive I mean like within 12 hours).

Well, Vancouver is, according to Google, "about 16 hours 46 mins". It's a 12 hour drive from Seattle to Sacramento/San Fran, and a 7 hour drive up there for you guys down in LA/San Diego. Who knows, if there's enough Legacy in Cali, we might end up having it there.

Ninj4
06-14-2007, 01:44 PM
me n my friend Are in Orange County, i think the furthest we'd drive would be San Fran or Sacramento. Trains are cool.

Xenocide
06-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I live in Santa Barbara, and I'd be willing to drive/train/carpool to Sacramento.

Epheniculles
06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
If you have it in Portland, count me out.

About anywhere else is probably fine. Chicago is pretty much the same distance from everything. I still like the Vegas idea as well.

Pinder
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, it looks like if I'm putting this thing together (which I really want to), as far South as it can reasonably go is Vancouver, WA (sorry to all you SoCal guys).

Bardo
06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Well, it looks like if I'm putting this thing together (which I really want to), as far South as it can reasonably go is Vancouver, WA (sorry to all you SoCal guys).

I would definitely do Vantucky, Washington. It's just a short drive from Portland. Count me in. Hell, I'd probably do Seattle too, but no farther south than Eugene, Ore.

Gambit
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, maybe it's time for Cali to unite and put on our own. Anyone know a Tournament Organizer? I could probably convince the guy at Conejo Sports in Thousand Oaks to put on a legacy tourny if I could be sure there would be a large enough tournout; we could try and do some type of Pre-reg I suppose. Anyone have any contacts or good ideas?

Pinder
06-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, maybe it's time for Cali to unite and put on our own. Anyone know a Tournament Organizer? I could probably convince the guy at Conejo Sports in Thousand Oaks to put on a legacy tourny if I could be sure there would be a large enough tournout; we could try and do some type of Pre-reg I suppose. Anyone have any contacts or good ideas?

Just to clarify, I would totally drive to Cali for a tourney. I just can't feasibly organize one that far south.

And Bardo, we have a weekly little unsanctioned up here in Seattle, if you wanna drive up some Friday. You and Volt should totally come up sometime.

Jak
06-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I would go to this if it is vancouver or portland.

nightshade81
06-16-2007, 08:35 PM
The PUD building near downtown Vancouver is available to rent on weekends I think it can accommodate probably 100 or more people. I will call Monday to see if it isn't booked somewhere two months in advance?

jeremys
06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
I would be game, so to speak, for something in vancouver, assuming I could get a ride. Is there anything happening regularly in portland or is it just the batcave?

Pinder
06-17-2007, 01:09 PM
The PUD building near downtown Vancouver is available to rent on weekends I think it can accommodate probably 100 or more people. I will call Monday to see if it isn't booked somewhere two Months in advance?

Ooh, that sounds perfect. Of course, then we have to figure out when we actually want this thing to happen.

thefreakaccident
06-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Depending on the drive, I could probably ensure at least 6 more people (not sure if the rest of the leg. players would go that far)... I would almost definitely be trying to attend! (how far is this from Sand Diego again?)

Gambit
06-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I think Thousand Oaks is about 3-4 hours from SD. I'll be speaking with the store owner again probably tomarrow; but so far he is very interested, I'll keep everyone posted

nightshade81
06-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I emailed both the PUD for the room and wizards about the tournament. Although I think it's a no-go for the PUD room because on their website it said "groups may not charge admission." I said that all the money would go back for prizes but I doubt it's going to work. On the plus side if we do get the room it's free to use, I don't think I mentioned that before. When I emailed wizards I was just requesting info on Judges and anything else they want to tells us about running a tournament. I will send Pinder a copy of whatever they email to me.

About looking for another place I don't really know. I don't think Batcave will be big enough to hold as many people as I think we get to come. Portland might be easier to get a place.

Pinder
06-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I also e-mailed these people (http://www.southwestwashington.com/) inquiring about possible venues as well. I haven't heard back from them yet. I also e-mailed Wizards, but it's silent on their end, too. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

APriestOfGix
06-19-2007, 01:00 AM
http://teamphyrexia.18.forumer.com/index.php

lets start planning west coast things here...

we need to find fellow west coast legacy players

Bardo
06-19-2007, 01:37 AM
And Bardo, we have a weekly little unsanctioned up here in Seattle, if you wanna drive up some Friday. You and Volt should totally come up sometime.

I wish, but if I could do Friday nights, I'd do the Batcave in Vancouver. Otherwise, I'm good anytime on Saturday or Sunday. Count me in if you can arrange something within 100 miles of Portland.

Tog
06-19-2007, 03:14 AM
From Bay Area, willing to go anytime really during the summer.

During school from around San Diego, if anything gets going, keep me informed.

Brizzle
06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Just to let any OC/LA county players know, there is a monthly Legacy tourny in Claremont at a store called Gameology. It is held on the last Sunday of every month at about 1 pm.

I encourage anyone around to come, as the turnout has been pretty weak recently. It'd be nice to actually get an established meta here.

Gambit
06-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Brizzle;
What kind of tournout has there been? We may make the trek down there if there would be a reasonable # of people; LMK

Brizzle
06-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately, it's been a pretty poor turnout these last few months. I've only been going since April, and there hasn't been more than 8. Hell, last month, we barely got six. However, I'm told about a dozen is more the norm. I'm not sure if this recent trend is temporary, or if it's a loss of interest.

Still, it'd be nice to have as many as possible. So far, I've seen general jank and random stuff, with a few un-optimized goblins here and there (even a burn deck).

Maybe with more players, people could improve.

frogboy
06-21-2007, 07:30 PM
People who think multiple cars from Portland or anywhere further north are going to drive to California for a Legacy event are kidding themselves. I might make that drive for GP San Francisco. There is no way I'm doing it for a smaller event. You might get a carful of diehards, but that's about it.

People go from Portland to Seattle for PTQs, so you might be able to get a few that way. I'm pretty sure the best way to get attendance is to find a city that has a decent amount of regulars and advertise like mad. I still think breaking fifty is gonna be ambitious for anything in Oregon or Washington. As far as I know, the Seattle area has the most Legacy players in the northwest, but I could be mistaken.

I'd probably drive a couple hours if I could find a carful of people and was in Portland. If I was in Seattle (i.e. if this was during October-June) I don't think I know Legacy players that are that hardcore. I'd also have like, school.

completely unrelated note: some friday in the next month I think I'm gonna go to Batcave. Do people still go there?

Pinder
06-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Alrighty, I'm currently looking into securing a venue in Vancouver. Question then becomes, who is willing to drive from wherever they are to Vancouver, specifically?

@frogboy: Are you still in Seattle, btw? Where are you at when you're not in school? Portland? And do you really think Seattle has the highest concentration of Legacy players in the west? I knew we had a lot of Vintage, but...

nightshade81
06-22-2007, 12:10 AM
I think we need to pick a date for the Turney.

@frogboy - there where 14 last week, 8 the week before. So it varies but generally 10-12.

Jak
06-22-2007, 02:20 AM
I think I might start going to the batcave.

Anyways, I would be able to go to Vancouver if it was there.

frogboy
06-22-2007, 04:48 AM
I'm in Portland until the end of September. I live there when I'm not in school.

I don't actually know for certain that there are more Legacy players in Seattle, but I know there aren't that many in Portland/Vancouver.

People bitching about Vancouver having nothing to do should note that Portland is right across the river for all your debaucherous needs.

Pinder
06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
People bitching about Vancouver having nothing to do should note that Portland is right across the river for all your debaucherous needs.

And if you were in Vancouver for a tourney, there'd always be, you know, a tourney to do....

Vardaman
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
And if you were in Vancouver for a tourney, there'd always be, you know, a tourney to do....

PBF avatars rock. :hifive:

APriestOfGix
07-03-2007, 02:54 AM
Just to let any OC/LA county players know, there is a monthly Legacy tourny in Claremont at a store called Gameology. It is held on the last Sunday of every month at about 1 pm.

I encourage anyone around to come, as the turnout has been pretty weak recently. It'd be nice to actually get an established meta here.

PM me details, i live 45 min from Claremont and would be willing to drive

Pinder
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Just an update, I'm still in the midst of planning something, I'm trying to lock down a venue right now (and dates). It's for sure going to be in Vancouver, though, so that much is set.

So one more time, how many people exactly could make it to Vancouver, for this thing? I'm trying to get a feel for how much space I'll need.

Jak
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
I could make it to Vancouver.

DeathwingZERO
07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
As I stated in the other thread, I'm sure those of us who play at Batcave as well as a few other people I know from Salem through to Vancouver area would be able to show up.

I am also certain if the prize was solid, quite a number of the Vintage crews from Seattle and Salem would also show up, as alot of them play in Legacy just for kicks. A few of them showed up for a tournament I hosted last year, and that wasn't even a good payout (nor a large scale event, I was only expecting around 20 people max).

As for preference, I'd say look for something in Portland, as the city itself is very straightforward and easy to navigate/bus/Max through, and we could probably find something there for hosting purposes. Vancouver is too spread out for my likes, and I'm sure people not familiar with the area will probably not like the idea that there's really nothing there.

Tog
07-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Would love to come but Canada is out of my reach. Nay. T__T

T_B
07-12-2007, 02:01 PM
At Genisis Games and Gizmos, which is quite close to Seattle, has mounthly Legacy tournaments. Not many competetative people, but if enough people come then he said he would bump up the frequency. I know I and 2 others will have competative decks.

revenge_inc
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Would love to come but Canada is out of my reach. Nay. T__T

No, he means Vancouver WA, right across from Portland. However the confusion is understandable as Vancouver BC is much bigger then Vancouver WA.

DeathwingZERO
07-13-2007, 08:36 AM
No, he means Vancouver WA, right across from Portland. However the confusion is understandable as Vancouver BC is much bigger then Vancouver WA.

And much better, from what I've heard of friends in that area. ZING!

Koby
07-13-2007, 07:15 PM
LA/OC/SD area has plenty of Legacy players... the problem however is hosting an event and advertising it.

From personal experience with the stores in SoCal is that none of the store owners ever want to:

A) Host the event
B) Advertise it
C) Follow up on their scheduling.

I was working closely with Dear Mr Fantazy to try to get tournaments going, but he had no incentive to continue was if players bought cards -- Legacy player's arn't notorious for spending money on T2 singles, the life blood of most game shops in SoCal.

The prize support needs to be provided by a private organizer who is willing to send between 10-30% of the door fees back to the store. I personally would love to see tournaments start up, but due to the total area in which players are distributed is sooooo vast (>60 miles each way to include Santa Barbara, Ventura, LA, OC, SD, and Riverside) not many show up.

The best alternative would be to convince Shuffle & Cut to start hosting Legacy tournaments and advertise the shit out of them. They not only have the floor space, but also the contacts, and the prize support. Good luck convincing Scott Gerheardt of anything tho, believe me I've tried -- he's too stubborn.

Durahan
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
At Genisis Games and Gizmos, which is quite close to Seattle, has mounthly Legacy tournaments. Not many competetative people, but if enough people come then he said he would bump up the frequency. I know I and 2 others will have competative decks.

Yeah, it's in Redmond, and I'm halfway tempted to just hold a D4D there, as it would be much easier (and cheaper) to secure the venue there (and they have plenty of space). I haven't given up on plans for Vancouver, but it's becoming increasingly harder to make that pan out. If it ends up near Seattle though, sorry to all the people in Cali.

Portland people would be able to make Seattle, though, right?

edit: Bah! Auto Login FTL.

-Pinder

Agro Beats
07-20-2007, 03:25 AM
I know in the past GAME EMPIRE, in San Diego has held a large tournament with awsome prize support. I believe 1st was one of each GURU land(good value), and then there were play sets of some awsome Legacy staples and Foil playsets of some of them. I bet they would host a large tournament again.

LA/OC/SD area has plenty of Legacy players... the problem however is hosting an event and advertising it.

From personal experience with the stores in SoCal is that none of the store owners ever want to:

A) Host the event
B) Advertise it

I was working closely with Dear Mr Fantazy to try to get tournaments going, but he had no incentive to continue was if players bought cards -- Legacy player's arn't notorious for spending money on T2 singles, the life blood of most game shops in SoCal.

The prize support needs to be provided by a private organizer who is willing to send between 10-30% of the door fees back to the store. I personally would love to see tournaments start up, but due to the total area in which players are distributed is sooooo vast (>60 miles each way to include Santa Barbara, Ventura, LA, OC, SD, and Riverside) not many show up.

The best alternative would be to convince Shuffle & Cut to start hosting Legacy tournaments and advertise the shit out of them. They not only have the floor space, but also the contacts, and the prize support. Good luck convincing Scott Gerheardt of anything tho, believe me I've tried -- he's too stubborn.

APriestOfGix
07-20-2007, 03:42 AM

A) Host the event
B) Advertise it

Well we need to find somebody.

I know my store would do it if we could attract 16+ people...

It's in Pasadena, if you guys post, and say you'll do it, i'll talk to them, and we can try and do this! If it works really well im sure they might do it again...

Gambit
07-20-2007, 12:08 PM
For a LARGE tournament I and probably 5 others would make the trek from Santa Barbara, however it just isn't worth the time and gas money for a random 12 person event...But should something big happen we would gladly come

AngryTroll
07-20-2007, 02:27 PM
For a Large tournament, like a D4Ds, we in Portland would probably carpool up there for it. I know I'd do it for sure, and Volt would do it, and probably Nick, and maybe a couple of other guys too. At least three of us would drive up.

APriestOfGix
07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Up?...

well ill see if we can get a 30-40 person, that would be hard...

frogboy
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Portland people would be able to make Seattle, though, right?

For D4D prizes, probably.

Pinder
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
For D4D prizes, probably.

Well, if my vision pans out, it will be a playset of each Dual for the T8 to draft (this is assuming roughly 50 people).

It looks more and more like it might end up in grand ol' Northwestern Washington, though. It's just so much easier to plan tourneys where you live.

DarkAkuma
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
In Las Vegas, NV, we have a Legacy tourny every week at Hose Head Hobbies. We useualy have a decent tournout, 10-20 people (not huge, but its something). Its held on saturdays every week, cept for weeks something else MTG related is going on somewhere, like pre-release's.

It is sanctioned with a cash prize, and a extremely varried metagame.

revenge_inc
07-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Concerning the West Coast:

Although yet to be annouced by WOTC, Vancouver BC (2 1/2 hours drive from Seattle) will be having a Grand Prix at the end of February. The format is likely to be extended but it seems like a great location to host a legacy side event.

http://www.roguegaming.com/viewtopic.php?t=7200
http://www.roguegaming.com/viewtopic.php?t=7246

On a related note, no side-events have been annouced for GP San Fran so you may still have time to get something going.

Just my little heads-up :wink:

mikejetd0rk
07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
The Realm Games in Brea, Southern California, holds a FNM once in a while for Legacy.

You can find Legacy players at Frank & Sons on Wednesdays.

frogboy
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
It looks more and more like it might end up in grand ol' Northwestern Washington, though. It's just so much easier to plan tourneys where you live.

If this means Seattle, fine. If it's west of the Sound, fuck that. Whoever had the bright idea of putting a gigantic fucking lake in the middle of your state should prbs be shot.

I actually could probably be convinced into going to Seattle for any fairly major tournament just so I can meet up with folks I havn't seen in a while.

isdepopecatholic
08-06-2007, 01:23 AM
The Realm Games in Brea, Southern California, holds a FNM once in a while for Legacy.

You can find Legacy players at Frank & Sons on Wednesdays.

Are there any Legacy players at Frank's on Saturdays? I'm in Los Angeles, and can get out to Franks, but its hard on Wednesdays for me.

Pinder
08-06-2007, 02:10 AM
If this means Seattle, fine. If it's west of the Sound, fuck that. Whoever had the bright idea of putting a gigantic fucking lake in the middle of your state should prbs be shot.

I actually could probably be convinced into going to Seattle for any fairly major tournament just so I can meet up with folks I havn't seen in a while.

I looks like the most likely candidate is Genesis Games and Gizmos (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&q=genesis+games+and+gizmos&near=Redmond,+WA&fb=1&cid=0,0,16377044100635538502&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image) in Redmond, WA (mostly because the store owner has space and tables/chairs for around 50 people, and is willing to let me use it for free). It's just a hair Northeast of Seattle. It is across Lake Washington from Seattle, but firmly East of the Sound.

Actually, the only thing stopping me right now is rummaging up prize support. Ideally, I want to have a playset of each dual to draft out to the top 8, but I don't really have access to a playset of each dual. I do, however, own a playset each of Underground Sea, Tropical Island, and Tundra, and could get a playset of Volcanics by the end of the week, if need be. How many people would be willing to come if it was just blue duals to the T4, and possibly some smaller prizes to the rest of the T8?

edit: Assume a roughly $15-20 entry fee.

edit2: Incidentally, Games & Gizmos was where these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC4NyO1gUqU) were filmed.

Kronicler
08-06-2007, 05:10 AM
Pinder, if this can happen relatively soon (aka before people start school) then I could see a bunch of people from the bay area driving up. I would also be willing to contribute 4x NM Sea Drake for prizes. Let's talk about this through PMs or the team forums.

Kronicler