PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Welcome Back, Legacy! The June 2007 B&R Changes

Nightmare
06-05-2007, 07:42 AM
My latest article is up on mtgSalvation.com. Please let me know what you think. This time around, the discussion is on the changes we saw June 1, and how I think each card will effect the Legacy and Vintage metagames.

http://mtgsalvation.com/624-welcome-back-legacy-the-june-2007-br-changes.html

Before we begin, I'd like to make a brief introduction. Those of you who’s interest was piqued by the emergence of Hulk Flash, I'd like you to meet Legacy. Hopefully, the two of you will get along. I know you started off on the wrong foot, but it's only getting better from here. Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to business.

hi-val
06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
The DCI has this weird timing habit with the Vintage restricted list. Gifts was nailed as it was on the decline, Gush was originally nailed when it was finally being handled by the metagame, Trinisphere was restricted when people were able to handle it... They are kind of late to the ballgame on restrictions.

A few (minor) corrections. Key was restricted because of its interaction with Grim Monolith, Vault, Sol Ring, Crypt and (less so,) Moxes. This was also at a time when Hurkyl's Recall was restricted(!). It's a relic of another era. Right now, Key can be used for the very handy Basalt Monolith, which will convert Workshop mana into regular mana with Key running right alongside it.

As much as people are dismissing Mind Twist, I will assure you that it will be played and that it is crazy good as a 4-of. It has a home in Stax, which also runs Balance and often a single Mind Twist.

As for Legacy unbannings, I think you're spot on. I don't see Replenish as being anything other than a fair deck that will lose with the rest of them regularly.

Zach Tartell
06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Whoever writes your histories must be really hot. Also, good article.

xsockmonkeyx
06-05-2007, 03:48 PM
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49894&d=1180729537

Fucking Brilliant.

revenge_inc
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Decent article with a complete and solid analysis. Well done.
WTF was up with your "About the Author"? (Was I the only one who thought it was not that funny?)

Nightmare
06-05-2007, 04:20 PM
WTF was up with your "About the Author"? (Was I the only one who thought it was not that funny?)I didn't write it.

Eldariel
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM
They regularly write such representations. I got cowboy boots and a 10-gallon hat, I think. I found it funny. Besides, Danger Switchblade Barnello got to see daylight in an article, Mr. Nightmare should be happy.

Tacosnape
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't write it.

That makes it vastly funnier, then.

Seriously, though? Very solid article. Very journalistic in how you kept personal opinion out of it mostly. I especially applaud your decision to keep any personal preferences about what other cards should have been Banned/unbanned out of the article.

My only suggestion would be that for those less in the know, as your article starts out addressing that exact group of people, that in the future you elaborate more on deck names and people referenced. The sentence about TES and CRET Belcher especially springs to mind, as anyone who's just getting into Legacy probably doesn't know what TES is and doesn't know how CRET Belcher differs from ordinary Belcher.

Zach Tartell
06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
My only suggestion would be that for those less in the know, as your article starts out addressing that exact group of people, that in the future you elaborate more on deck names and people referenced. The sentence about TES and CRET Belcher especially springs to mind, as anyone who's just getting into Legacy probably doesn't know what TES is and doesn't know how CRET Belcher differs from ordinary Belcher.

I think that's kind of too easy. People have to learn about the format one way or the other, and nobody ('scept bigbear102) walked me through shit. I remember the first day I came to this site, and a helldozer deck was up in the open forum, so I clicked on that, then used gatherer to find out what a polluted delta was. Seriously.

I think that there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Getting people into the format is always an excellent thing to do, but you can't baby someone always. If they're actually interested in the format, then they'll sit down and read articles and look over decks and make a terrible first post (mine was in the Madness thread, wondering why people weren't playing the black splash, for that :4::b::b: actually :b: madness terror and ghastly demise. I got cussed out, and I didn't come back to this site until after I rocked the house at the GAGG tournament last february.). Moral of the story is, they'll either like it and get into it, or just pay lip service and not care no matter how much effort you put into involving them.

In short, let new people sink or swim. I mean, sure, give them a "hey, welcome to the source" before you end their dreams of inventing a new splash or completely revolutionizing the format. But don't let their innocence of the format hinder you from actual judgement. People will either get into legacy, or they won't.

Machinus
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I think that's kind of too easy. People have to learn about the format one way or the other, and nobody ('scept bigbear102) walked me through shit. I remember the first day I came to this site, and a helldozer deck was up in the open forum, so I clicked on that, then used gatherer to find out what a polluted delta was. Seriously.

I think that there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Getting people into the format is always an excellent thing to do, but you can't baby someone always. If they're actually interested in the format, then they'll sit down and read articles and look over decks and make a terrible first post (mine was in the Madness thread, wondering why people weren't playing the black splash, for that :4::b::b: actually :b: madness terror and ghastly demise. I got cussed out, and I didn't come back to this site until after I rocked the house at the GAGG tournament last february.). Moral of the story is, they'll either like it and get into it, or just pay lip service and not care no matter how much effort you put into involving them.

In short, let new people sink or swim. I mean, sure, give them a "hey, welcome to the source" before you end their dreams of inventing a new splash or completely revolutionizing the format. But don't let their innocence of the format hinder you from actual judgement. People will either get into legacy, or they won't.

I support this attitude most of the time, so I'm glad to see it elaborated here. I think you're going too far though. I draw the line when it comes to decknames. No one cares about a team's dumb acronyms, so I don't see why new players have to do it as well. Anything that gets them to play decks that beat Goblins is good; using obscure and exclusive language instead of talking about magic cards does not make that happen.

Citrus-God
06-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Dr. Adam Barnello is to the legacy player as Solomon P. Chase is to the curency of these United States of America. That is to say, whether you know it or not, he's a big deal. After losing the 2000 Presidential elections in what some theorize was a direct attempt to keep the "Common Man" out of the White House, Dr. Barnello channeled his passion for the political profession into a more tangible persuit - finishing the late (and certainly not fake) Dr. Frankenstein's foray into the feild of Human Resurection. Half a decade passed yeilding nothing but failure until our doctor stumbled upon perhaps his greatest discovery. In his free time, namely while his trained Golden Marmoset lab assistants disposed of the remains of Dr. Barnello's experiments, the good doctor had taken up a hobby: Magic the Gathering. During the rare moments of down time, Dr. Barnello had devised the perfect UGw Threshold list. So perfect was it that at The Mana Leak Open the doctor split first place with Jeff "I maindeck 3 Pyrokinesis" Folinus. Dr. Barnello resides in British Colombia wih his wife, Penelope Cruz, and son, Switchblade Danger Barnello.
Mr. Nightmare is registered in our forums as Mr. Nightmare (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/member.php?u=).

Damn boy, you got Cruz? I'm jealous...

Anyways, great article. I wanna see you write more....

Tacosnape
06-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I support this attitude most of the time, so I'm glad to see it elaborated here. I think you're going too far though. I draw the line when it comes to decknames. No one cares about a team's dumb acronyms, so I don't see why new players have to do it as well. Anything that gets them to play decks that beat Goblins is good; using obscure and exclusive language instead of talking about magic cards does not make that happen.

This is mostly what I meant.

This is also why I refuse to call CRET Belcher anything other than Zomg Belcher, and why I refer to BHWC Landstill as 4C Landstill.

Finn
06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't know what Cret means. And I don't care. But I have had that deck built, minus the goofy green/red guy built since before Bryant introduced TES. And I know that I am not the only one who came upon that rather obvious interaction on my own. The deck is Belcher. The old builds are defunct anyway.

Nightmare
06-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Look, nomenclature aside, I write like I speak. If I normally call the deck CRET Belcher, it's because most people on this site and others refer to it as CRET Belcher, so I write it that way. I'm writing because I want to write stuff, not to introduce the newbies to Legacy, so if it confuses them, they can ask in the forums and I'll answer them.

dre4m
06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Look, nomenclature aside, I write like I speak. If I normally call the deck CRET Belcher, it's because most people on this site and others refer to it as CRET Belcher, so I write it that way. I'm writing because I want to write stuff, not to introduce the newbies to Legacy, so if it confuses them, they can ask in the forums and I'll answer them.

When you talk about it IRL, how do you say it? I personally say "see-ret", as opposed to "see are ee tee," because that's just how I read it the first time I saw it, and if it doesn't say something, it's not even an acronym.

I loved the acticle, btw.

MattH
06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
IRL, I just call it "belcher". Pronouncing acronyms always feels SO geeky.

Nihil Credo
06-09-2007, 08:38 AM
IRL, I just call it "belcher". Pronouncing acronyms always feels SO geeky.
Which might explain why I pronounce it "crit belcher", as in "I scored a crit on my attack roll!"

Bryant Cook
06-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Which might explain why I pronounce it "crit belcher", as in "I scored a crit on my attack roll!"

This is a pet peeve of mine actually, I pronounce it CRET so it sounds CR-EAT. Same with TES its the letters T E S not that 3 letter word that sounds like a test.

Pinder
06-09-2007, 01:43 PM
piloted by The Epic Syndicate's Zach Tartell

Your plugs are as shameless as your article was well written. Good job. :tongue:

Nihil Credo
06-09-2007, 05:01 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine actually, I pronounce it CRET so it sounds CR-EAT.
Isn't that the same as I do?

MattH
06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Way to take the geek level down there, champ. :eek:

Happy Gilmore
06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Dr. Adam Barnello is to the legacy player as Solomon P. Chase is to the curency of these United States of America. That is to say, whether you know it or not, he's a big deal. After losing the 2000 Presidential elections in what some theorize was a direct attempt to keep the "Common Man" out of the White House, Dr. Barnello channeled his passion for the political profession into a more tangible persuit - finishing the late (and certainly not fake) Dr. Frankenstein's foray into the feild of Human Resurection. Half a decade passed yeilding nothing but failure until our doctor stumbled upon perhaps his greatest discovery. In his free time, namely while his trained Golden Marmoset lab assistants disposed of the remains of Dr. Barnello's experiments, the good doctor had taken up a hobby: Magic the Gathering. During the rare moments of down time, Dr. Barnello had devised the perfect UGw Threshold list. So perfect was it that at The Mana Leak Open the doctor split first place with Jeff "I maindeck 3 Pyrokinesis" Folinus. Dr. Barnello resides in British Colombia wih his wife, Penelope Cruz, and son, Switchblade Danger Barnello.
Mr. Nightmare is registered in our forums as Mr. Nightmare (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/member.php?u=).

Who wrote this? Whoever it is I want him or her to write my Epitaph when I die. It was more entertaining than the article I was reading.

Nightmare
06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
LonelyBaritone wrote it. I think I'm insulted that you were more entertained by that than the article...

dre4m
06-11-2007, 12:27 PM
LonelyBaritone wrote it. I think I'm insulted that you were more entertained by that than the article...

He might have been more entertained, but he certainly wasn't more informed.