PDA

View Full Version : What if:

mikekelley
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
There was a format where you could only play a deck with one color? You could use artifacts, but the majority of spell cards in your deck had to be one specific color, so no mono-brown builds.

Which color do you play, and why? For the sake of the argument (either that; or I'm delusional), let's disregard the fact that Mono-R goblins would probably hose the format.

edit: since people can't seem to read the second statement...

LrdMcCaffrey
06-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Off the top of my head, viable decks would be:

Goblins
Goblins again for how much it would destroy this format
Goblins once more for good measure
Black Board control
Burn
Sligh
RDW
9-land green, maybe the Invigorate+Predator+berserk build
Angel Stompy
Angel Stax
4 FoF BBS with artifact support
Suicide Black (which I honestly wouldn't play given how many red things there would almost certainly be)
Faerie Stompy
Rabid Wombat (or am i mixing the name up...that thing with Renewed Faith and Wing shards)
Solidarity

Honestly, it looks like red would stand on it's own the best, although the decks that take more advantage of colorless acceleration wouldn't lose too much (ie Faerie Stompy). I'm basically addicted to playing Force of Will though, so i'd probably end up with BBS or Solidarity, not because it's good, but because counterspells are my crutch like nothing else.

Eldariel
06-05-2007, 06:16 PM
You could build some mono-black Tendrils-deck and some mono-red Warrens-deck, I'm sure. They wouldn't be very good, but they could still be built and they'd still beat Goblins if nothing else. Anyways, absolute topdeck in such a meta would be Solidarity since most decks that prey on it tend to be multicoloured. The only deck left in the meta that would consistently beat it would be Faerie Stompy. I think, if anything, it'd create a 'trinity' of Goblins, Solidarity and Faerie Stompy, with Faerie Stompy being slight favourite overall but suffering of its own inconsistencies, Solidarity beating Goblins but Goblins beating pretty much everything else (note that mono-red Gobs are much easier for FS than Rg with Tin Street, since Tinkerer still falls to Pithing Needles and removal, so FS would be favoured against Goblins like in the old testings, if the meta were like that).

WW would be viable. Angel Stompyish or Death or Taxesish or such, but some WW-build would be viable as it'd smash Goblins, be rather good against other aggro-decks (and FS), and have the tools to deal with combo too (Glowriders, True Believer+Vial+Moms, Chants, Tithes, what have yous). Anyhow, blue seems like the best road in such a meta, specifically combo since classic aggro/control-decks are gone.

Michael Keller
06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Merfolk Sligh, circa 1994.

Zilla
06-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Assuming we're talking about a format that uses the Legacy cardpool, I think you'd actually have a fairly diverse metagame. Goblins would be really, really good, but Angel Stompy/WW would destroy it. They'd both get wrecked by Solidarity, which would in turn get wrecked by Sui Black, which in turn would get wrecked by Angel Stompy and Goblins.

There's a lot of room for diversity in a mono-colored Legacy format, I think.

andrew77
06-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I'd play black for Spanish Inquisition. It just can't lose to goblins and is much faster than solidarity.

Cait_Sith
06-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I'd play black for Spanish Inquisition. It just can't lose to goblins and is much faster than solidarity.

Also more inconsistent and auto loses to Angel Stax.

Nightmare
06-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Elves for the win?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Solidarity. You'd hose four out of the five colors (except for mono-Black decks). Fish just wouldn't be fast enough for you to care.

Goblin Snowman
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Some terrible deck with Chalice of the Void and Thoughtbound Primoc, with no one running Meddling Mage, as a way to beat both Goblins and Solidarity. Honestly, Solidarity would end up warping the metagame of this nonexistent format way, way too much without any Fish/Threshold.