PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Unlocking Legacy - Looking with Fresh Eyes

Ewokslayer
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
The latest SCG article (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14280.html) is up

I personally think Anusien is wrong about Flash, Replenish, and Street Wraith.

Peter_Rotten
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I personally think Anusien is wrong about Flash, Replenish, and Street Wraith.

Would you mind expanding your thoughts there?

TheDarkshineKnight
06-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Would you mind expanding your thoughts there?

Because he's Anusien. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Just kidding. I haven't read the article, yet.

Edit: Okay, now I've read it. Why must Anusien make a new sub-par deck in every single one of his articles? O_o

sammiel
06-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I think he's wrong about flash, right about replenish, and iffy about streetwraith.

He is one of those who thinks that Flash was fine. Consequently, I pretty much ignored everything else he had to say about flash, because his opinion was no longer relevant.

He said that replenish was good, but not great, which is a fair assessment. I think replenish is going to be best as a combo finish for a control deck, a U/W or U/W/G control shell that puts pandeburst in the GY and replenishes ftw. As a plain combo deck, it's just far too slow.

Streetwraith just doesn't belong in Legacy, except if someone comes up with a good, consistent Ichorid build. It's trash in everything else, potentially hot stuff in Ichorid.

Ewokslayer
06-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Sure, I just didn't want to go off on a big rant in the opening post

While I was predicting that there would be no changes to the Banned List, Flash getting banned does not surprise me. Personally I do not think I care either way, and at least this way none of us have to listen to the arguments about Flash anymore. What I find most interesting is that Flash got banned, and Goblins remained unscathed. Don't get me wrong. I don't think that Goblins deserves to have any components banned from it, but I also do not think that Flash deserved to get banned either. The banning of Flash seems to depend more on the potential power Future Sight brings to the archetype. Aaron Forsythe headlined his article with the pithy tagline "We banned it… What did you expect?" but he asserts that he does not think Flash ruined the Grand Prix. From his article: "Now that the dust has settled, it's clear to me that the Grand Prix was not ruined - attendance was remarkable, there was a reasonable diversity of decks in the Top 8, and there were plenty of interesting decisions to be made at both the deckbuilding and game play levels." Aaron goes on to argue that Flash was ultimately format-warping and it did take a large number of Top 8 slots. However, I have a few points to present. Flash didn't deserve to be banned! Are you high? Flash completly distorted the metagame and proved to be head and shoulders better than every other deck in the format. A card doesn't need to ruin a Grand Prix in order to be ban worthy. That is just silly. And how exactly is a tournament ruined anyway? How is that measured?

1) Flash took three Top 8 slots;
2) Goblins did well
3) Flash didn't distort the format

1) Flash was severly underplayed because people thought that they could play fish and hate out Flash. They were wrong.
2) Goblins crushs Fish and every crappy Flash Hate Deck
3) MD Leylines. How is that not distorting?
The GP quite clearly showed that the best deck in the format was Flash and the best hate deck against flash would be another Flash Deck. I don't really see why anyone would want to have a format in which the only consistantly good decks all run the same cards and strategy.

Replenish Stuff
I find it interesting that he mentions all Replenish combo decks that are now probably too slow but neglects to mention enchantress a deck that was already doing good in the format.

So what decks want Street Wraith? I think Threshold, High Tide, Iggy Pop, The Epic Storm, Goblins, and Belcher are the common decks that need to seriously consider the card.
Perhaps there is a different definition for the word seriously that I am unfamiliar with.
Goblins? Solidarity? Seriously? I mean Seriously?
Of the decks listed only really Iggy Pop, TES, and Belcher should be looking at Wraith, yet the least amount of time is spent on discussing its inclusion in those decks. The most time is spent on Goblins.
Though the interaction between Wraith and Tarmogoyf is interesting but probably too weak to matter.

If you were going to run Street Wraith in Goblins I would only recommend it for more advanced players. Good Goblins players will naturally have an edge in the mirror to make up for the life loss, and no difficulty metagaming. If you're not good with Goblins, stick to the 32 Goblins, 4 Vial, 24 land configuration, but if you're good with the deck, try Street Wraith.
Playing with Street Wraith isn't skill testing. If it is in your hand you cycle it. Anyone can do it. You might have to be a Goblin Master to win with Street Wraith in your deck but that doesn't mean Street Wraith is making your deck better.

SouthAlly
06-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Is is just me, or does Street Wriaith seem pretty out of place in Goblins? It doesn't go to your hand with a Ringleader, you lose those precious "meta-slots", and you can't cast it in an emergency.

Anusien
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I consciously chose to omit discussion of Enchantress. While it may be the best deck that can use Replenish, I believe it's the deck that can use Replenish the worst. If Enchantress + Replenish is good, it's because Enchantress is good, not because Replenish is a strong tool. Replenish in Enchantress is more like Patriarch's Bidding in T2 Goblins than Yawgmoth's Will in combo. This is also a deck with an extreme wide range of variance, and I don't have nearly enough experience or an optimal build. I honestly felt like I would be doing people a disservice by including an Enchantress decklist that was knowingly sub-optimal. Everything else I included was intended to be a starting point. You're right in that it was worth mentioning in the article.

Street Wraith in Goblins: I'm not saying "It necessarily belongs" but I think that the deck thinning makes it a more consistent deck. It makes it less explosive, but I think that good players will be able to perform better with a more consistent deck, since it makes them less at the mercy of bad draws and allows them to leverage playskill. With 4 Street Wraith in your deck, you are slightly more likely to draw Ringleaders and Piledrivers and Gempalm Incinerators. That's a good thing. Sure, it has some drawbacks. I quote myself from TMD:

Aside from the concerns I raised: the lifeloss being critical in the mirror and versus Threshold, the slightly lower chance to hit Goblins on Ringleader (this can't be it, since some people don't even believe in running fetchlands), the lessened ability to metagame and the slightly decreased percentage of Siege-Gang Commanders, why do you people think Street Wraith is wrong in Goblins? Or is it that you agree with me on every point and just disagree with the conclusion. For what it's worth, I'll quote with emphasis:

My most significant concern is that increasingly Goblins as a slower, consistent deck simply is becoming untenable due to the speed of the format. Belcher, IGGy and TES can all punish Goblins for a slow or even average draw. Even so, drawing cards and thinning your deck is really good; many players play fetchlands in Goblins for exactly that reason. If you were going to run Street Wraith in Goblins I would only recommend it for more advanced players. Good Goblins players will naturally have an edge in the mirror to make up for the life loss, and no difficulty metagaming. If you're not good with Goblins, stick to the 32 Goblins, 4 Vial, 24 land[/]b configuration, but [b]if you're good with the deck, try Street Wraith.
In other words, I'm not saying "This is the way to play Goblins, handed down from on high. All I'm saying is that it might be good in the long run to help leverage playskill in the mirror.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence regarding Street Wraith. It's an auto-include in every way imaginable in Belcher, and I don't need to tell you that. Iggy can also afford the life loss; I don't need to tell you that either. That's why I tried to focus on the more controversial stuff. Maybe you all automatically know that Tide can't afford Street Wraith v Goblins, but does everyone? Even if you know why, can you articulate it?

mikekelley
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
If I have to read one more article that mentions Flash i'm going to spoon my fucking eyes out. Can't....take it...anymore...

I don't believe Street Wraith is worth anything in any Legacy deck unless a bangin' Ichorid build comes along. I think someone else above me said the same thing. I think it's akin to activating fetchlands for the purpose of thinning the deck, but at a greater cost. It has a negligble effect on the chances of drawing into more business. I also don't really see Replenish doing much except pandeburst, which is iffy. But I suppose it could be used in a controllish build. I do not think that Replenish or Mind Over Matter will do anything to the format. If they do, well, I don't know what I'll do, eat my words I suppose.

C.P.
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not going to insult your intelligence regarding Street Wraith. It's an auto-include in every way imaginable in Belcher, and I don't need to tell you that. Iggy can also afford the life loss; I don't need to tell you that either.

I have problem with your replenish build, but I'll pass on that since you claim that it was only meant to be a starting point.

However, How is SW auto-include in the decks that mulligan matters so much? It is a very bad cantrip for free. You have no idea what is going to come up with the wraith. How are you supposed to know which hand to keep with something like that in your hand?

Bardo
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
However, How is SW auto-include in the decks that mulligan matters so much? It is a very bad cantrip for free. You have no idea what is going to come up with the wraith. How are you supposed to know which hand to keep with something like that in your hand?

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. You see it in your hand and you're like: "I really wish I knew if this were a land or dude." Given the life loss and limited information ("this is just some random card, could be anything in the deck,") I'm not too keen on Wraith as a 'deck thinner.' I tried it in my TarmoGro deck, since it's a free and easy +1/+1 for an early Goyf, but even cut it there due to its unpredictability and that dudes die, get countered, etc., often.

jrp
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
/*
OMG!! Street Wraith is t3h best maj1k c@rd i have evAr seen!!! I put it in every deck cuz its like only having a 56 card deck....OMG it's liek che@ting!!
*/

I will not go into your Street Wraith as an auto-include in Belcher statement. Please check the Belcher thread, where Ewokslayer and (I believe) Peter Rotten make some very valid points concerning SW in belcher.

Anyways, you make the statement "increasingly Goblins as a slower, consistent deck simply is becoming untenable due to the speed of the format." I fail to grasp the logic that that SW 'speeds' up Goblins at all. All it does is force you to make less informed, and therefore more likely to be incorrect, mulliganing decisions. Sure, sometimes you will cycle SW on turn 1 and Goblin Lackey will be there for you, or Piledriver may show up on the last possible turn off of a SW cycle, but you are simply fooling yourself by using this type of logic. By adding SW to the deck you are inherently making it more INCONSISTENT, as defined by the nature of RANDOM draw off your deck. I would venture a guess that more people lose games by making incorrect mulligan decisions than will ever win games based on SW's 56-card effect. Regarding your comparison to fetchlands, conveniently enough, when you activate a fetchland you know what you are getting from your deck (a land), however, this is not true for SW.

That's all for now. Hope what I wrote was semi-intelligible, well it at least has to be more logical/intelligent than some of the things I've read online lately...

Bovinious
06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Street Wraith might be better than Portent or Predict, but it definitely does not replace any of the core 12 cantrips (Brainstorm, Serum Visions, Mental Note).

I LOL'D when I read this, Mental Note and Serum Visions better than Portent (and Predict...), funny joke.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
I wish you would decide between whether or not Goblins is just as distorting and/or as powerful as Flash, or that only decks running black and blue with either a counter base or a combo finish or both are actually viable, because this flickering back and forth between the two stances makes it seem an awful lot like you have no idea what you're doing and you're just making up things to spout out as you go along.

Other than that, I had no use for this article. I didn't find anything insightful or interesting.

scrumdogg
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Quite frankly, Anusien should not be viewed as aimed at serious hardcore Legacy players - he has neither deckbuilding nor tournament credentials, his lists are sub-optimal, his points range from basic to unsubtantiated to controversial and he can't be bothered to attend major Legacy events. All of which, by the way, fall under his right of expression but as galling as his presence on the major strategy website representing our format is, he does provide exposure for the format. Newer players can read his material to at least get a glimpse into these ideas, then explore them further, and find out the correct answers. Serious Legacy players need to not let his articles & positions get under the skin, especially if you realize that SCG is only batting about .333 in terms of picking competent Legacy advocates (NJX, Smennen, Anusien, & Hi-Val vs Machinus & Bardo). We have no reason to expect them to get it right all the time nor should all of these writers be expected to be high level in what is still a niche format. That we have weekly exposure to the larger Magic tournament population should be a starting point with which we can be content.

Cait_Sith
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Unlike Vintage, the loss of 2 life is very relevant in Legacy. Not only are aggro decks extremely prevalent but the decks simply are not as fast. Too many players win games at less than 5 life for me to easily recommend Street Wraith.

This is the only statement made that doesn't seem either inane, random, useless (Seriously, an outdated list with banned cards on it, WTF?), or designed solely to provoke smart people. I agree with this statement. Everything else can burn for all I care.

I've talked to you before about flame-baiting. Warning for Inflammatory Post. ~ Nightmare

revenge_inc
06-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Unlike Vintage, the loss of 2 life is very relevant in Legacy. Not only are aggro decks extremely prevalent but the decks simply are not as fast. Too many players win games at less than 5 life for me to easily recommend Street Wraith.

This was the thing I agreed with most in his article. I thought his speculation on the card were off (similar comments to those made by others).

As usual, a detailed and quality article despite my disagreements.

I respect him as a writer but cannot help but feel some very low level of dislike(very low:wink: ) for the fact that he has so much influence, being a well respected writer and contributor to the format, and that yet he has such a different view of the format then the vast majority of players (who wanted Flash banned)

AnwarA101
06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Quite frankly, Anusien should not be viewed as aimed at serious hardcore Legacy players - he has neither deckbuilding nor tournament credentials, his lists are sub-optimal, his points range from basic to unsubtantiated to controversial and he can't be bothered to attend major Legacy events. All of which, by the way, fall under his right of expression but as galling as his presence on the major strategy website representing our format is, he does provide exposure for the format.

Exposure for the format is not worth it. People who read articles such as this one will invariably get the wrong idea about Legacy. People shouldn't for example think that Legacy players are actually considering Street Wraith in Goblins or Threshold, because they are not. We don't need exposure at any cost. We need thought out material that gives an accurate view of what's really going on in Legacy.

Newer players can read his material to at least get a glimpse into these ideas, then explore them further, and find out the correct answers. Serious Legacy players need to not let his articles & positions get under the skin, especially if you realize that SCG is only batting about .333 in terms of picking competent Legacy advocates (NJX, Smennen, Anusien, & Hi-Val vs Machinus & Bardo). We have no reason to expect them to get it right all the time nor should all of these writers be expected to be high level in what is still a niche format. That we have weekly exposure to the larger Magic tournament population should be a starting point with which we can be content.

How will newer players be encouraged to play Legacy when they realize the things they have read are wrong? Will they be encouraged to continue playing when what they thought about Legacy isn't true? What if most their thoughts are based on articles such as this one? Its not simply that you or I can see that it isn't correct, but a new player won't know that most of this stuff is just wrong. If they end up playing Legacy they will realize it, but at what cost? Weren't they just better off playing a Top8 decklist than just reading from an article that is leading them astray?

The tragedy is that there are people who know more about this format and they don't have a soapbox like SCG to showcase their ideas. Its not simply that we get poor articles, but that we miss out on the good ones that aren't being written.

hi-val
06-08-2007, 12:17 AM
This may come as a surprise, but there are other sites that publish Legacy content and will accept unsolicited material. The excuse that SCG doesn't accept outside material as a reason for no "good articles" doesn't make sense to me.

If you can write articles, do it and submit them to MTGS (like Nightmare). If you can't write but see someone who could, it'd be classy to PM them and tell them that they should write an article.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-08-2007, 03:53 AM
I fall down on the side of "No information is better than bad information". I don't get why people think all you have to do is lure people into the format and they'll be stuck playing it forever. To use a comparison, I could hand out millions of coupons for free pizzas at my new pizza shop around town, and I'd get tons of people through the door, but if I added a size 1 print "Disclaimer: No Free Pizza Involved", they're not going to be swarming back to be repeat customers. Anusien's poorly based authority and misnomers about Legacy to people do more harm than good.

On the other hand, Hi-Val is actually right. Anusien usurped the spotlight as a Legacy writer because, despite a lack of accomplishments or insights or writing talent or even good nature or humor, or even attending serious Legacy events, he was simply the only one to actually write things regularly. I'm as guilty as anyone; I probably should have, and should now, be writing some articles for MTGSal... but forum posting is just so much more satisfying. Monologuic formats bore me somehow.

Finn
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I sure as hell hope not everyone agrees with Binswanger's opinions and conclusions. A lack of disagreement would do a terrible disservice to any goals we might seek. I think it is right to stick it to writers who make big, unsubstantiated claims. I also hope that you, Kevin, are the kind of chap who will not let this turn you off from writing. I pretty well never agree with your conclusions, but I would not be happy if you allowed these sorts of threads from derailing your desire to push the format. You have caused me to re-examine my ideas on more than one occasion, and I would be a poorer player and designer if I was unaware of your positions on these topics. That's more than I can say for almost everything else I read on posts or articles. And IBA is wrong anyway. The overwhelming majority of people reading those articles are not going to be able to conclude whether or not you are right. There are probably something like 100 people on the planet who can. Everyone else just needs to see something, anything to pique their interest so they can find out for themselves.

hi-val
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm of the mind that if there's a good community around it, sometimes bad information can spur debates and really get people thinking. It seems that people are forgetting that you can write response articles as well as stand-alone ones. If you disagree, why not write a response article and post it here or on MTGS or Londes? Even in the SCG forums would work. It takes away that nasty thought below the surface of "if you are so much better, why aren't you writing anything?". Writing formally for others, especially with the peer review of editorship, can be a challenging process and worth engaging in.

dre4m
06-08-2007, 12:27 PM
On the other hand, Hi-Val is actually right. Anusien usurped the spotlight as a Legacy writer because, despite a lack of accomplishments or insights or writing talent or even good nature or humor, or even attending serious Legacy events, he was simply the only one to actually write things regularly. I'm as guilty as anyone; I probably should have, and should now, be writing some articles for MTGSal... but forum posting is just so much more satisfying. Monologuic formats bore me somehow.

Maybe you should try writing a Q&A Article? "A fireside chat with the King of Legacy in his Northern Virginia living room." Or not, your call.

I could not disagree more with Anusien about Flash and Street Wrath, except on the single point that Street Wraith's cycling cost is more relevant in Legacy.

I do, however, think that Replenish will be a difficult card to break in the very fast Legacy metagame without Frantic Search. If we had Frantic Search however..... *shiver*

Oh wait, then Solidarity would be the best deck ever.

Cavius The Great
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe you should try writing a Q&A Article? "A fireside chat with the King of Legacy in his Northern Virginia living room." Or not, your call.

I could not disagree more with Anusien about Flash and Street Wrath, except on the single point that Street Wraith's cycling cost is more relevant in Legacy.

I do, however, think that Replenish will be a difficult card to break in the very fast Legacy metagame without Frantic Search. If we had Frantic Search however..... *shiver*

Oh wait, then Solidarity would be the best deck ever.

Solidarity already is the best deck ever. And Street Wraith is garbage. You can use the same reasoning with Street Wraith like you do with fetchlands. Sure, it thins out your deck, but that idea has been discarded as not being relevent to most intelligent Magic players. I've even tested the card and it's a waste of a slot in combo decks where something like Meditate would be greatly superior, for example. Free cycling? Big whoop, draw into another land and cry.

Belgareth
06-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm not going to insult your intelligence regarding Street Wraith. It's an auto-include in every way imaginable in Belcher, and I don't need to tell you that.
I don't want to insult yours either but your wrong.
Do the math and you will see that wraith does not belong in CRET belcher, as to do so you have to remove a mana card (probably dark ritual, desperate ritual or wild cantor.) now Belcher decks are highly reliant on muligans, you want ideally 6 mana spells and a kill card.
Wraith cannot take kill card slot in opening hand as math dictates you won't get 1, so you assume it's mana .
Now removing mana spells for a card that get's you a mana spell for 2 life at the expense of minor deck thining is silly.

Bane of the Living
06-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I somewhat agree with him on thoughts pertaining to flash. I assumed before GP that three Flash decks would make top 8. This is easy to look at and dismiss as "Oh goblins does that all the time" and this is true. The deck was beatable dispite all the clammering here on the source, and if anything it brought some pain to the gobs archetype. I like that fewer people played goblins to play the other best deck. There are still some suckers that whipped out tier two decks but I appreciate the diversity Flash created in the tier one meta.

Now the problem is that Flash is obviously too diverse. Goblins really needs a 30 goblin base to stay the deck it is and keep its crown. Flash combo however is compact enough to even be sideboarded in entirely for a sneak attack role switch, thats an issue.

Street Wraiths most obvious homes are Burn and Ichorid. You could go out on a limb and claim Belcher but the opening hand issues are amplified there. I think its funny that none of those decks were the ones discussed pertaining to the card. Goblins has no business playing this card. The fact that it messes with Ringleaders should be reason enough to avoid it. The hampering on Warchief, Pile, and Gempalm creates a staggering opposition to including it for a single card to be thinned from your deck.

As far as obviously belonging in Belcher Im on the fence but theres no way Id make such strong claims. It would be interesting to know where you collect your data. I think the only person in the CRET belcher thread really pushing the inclusion of SW in belcher is Breath Weapon. Id love to have you take your mind to that thread and speak it there.

hi-val
06-08-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't want to insult yours either but your wrong.
Do the math and you will see that wraith does not belong in CRET belcher, as to do so you have to remove a mana card (probably dark ritual, desperate ritual or wild cantor.) now Belcher decks are highly reliant on muligans, you want ideally 6 mana spells and a kill card.
Wraith cannot take kill card slot in opening hand as math dictates you won't get 1, so you assume it's mana .
Now removing mana spells for a card that get's you a mana spell for 2 life at the expense of minor deck thining is silly.

We are actually discussing this in the thread here. I'm not sold on the arguments against it, because it seems to be of higher benefit to run Wraith than to run an extra color for what amounts to colorless mana. Those interested would be welcome to talk about it in the Belcher thread!

Nihil Credo
06-09-2007, 08:36 AM
My rule of thumb for evaluating Street Wraith's inclusion is the following:

1) Assume I could run a 56-card deck. Choose what four cards to cut.
2) For each of those four cards, examine the problem: would I rather have this card in my hand, or a copy of any other card in the deck with an additional cost of 2 life? If the latter, replace the slot with a Street Wraith.
3) Proceed with further considerations (mulligan choices, hardcastability, interactions with Bob, etc.)

For example, I'm trying out 1 Street Wraith in Red Death, because the deck has so far had to run 1 Wretched Anurid (due to the inability to support a full playset of Rottin Giants), and that particular 3/3 is just worse than most other cards in the deck even when you tackle on an additional 2 life payment, especially considering that SW has a concrete chance of being useful as a 3/4 Swampwalker.

Anusien
06-09-2007, 08:41 PM
1) Assume I could run a 56-card deck. Choose what four cards to cut.
This is wrong. If you're running the Street Wraith, you have to rebuild the deck as a 56 card deck, not try and make 4 cuts.

As an addendum, I'd look more carefully towards decks with uneven power gradients. Is 2 life worth an increased chance to draw Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus or Yawgmoth's Will? Yes. Is it worth an increased chance to draw Lightning Bolt versus Shock? Probably not.

Cait_Sith
06-09-2007, 09:11 PM
This is wrong. If you're running the Street Wraith, you have to rebuild the deck as a 56 card deck, not try and make 4 cuts.

I think you just said the smartest thing I've seen anyone say when it comes to Street Wraith.

As an addendum, I'd look more carefully towards decks with uneven power gradients. Is 2 life worth an increased chance to draw Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus or Yawgmoth's Will? Yes. Is it worth an increased chance to draw Lightning Bolt versus Shock? Probably not.

Outside of pure damage (where is becomes more self evident what is worth it or not) what Legacy legal cards do you think are wroth the risk of Street Wraith's life loss for. The card has been condemned as almost useless in Standard, but with Legacy's much higher power level and vast card pool, things are obviously different.

Nihil Credo
06-10-2007, 06:43 AM
You are right. Still, I can't think of a deck where rebuilding it as a 56-card deck involves putting in new cards in addition to cutting old ones.

Well, I used the Red Death example because I think it is a pretty straightforward comparison. When you draw Wretched Anurid, you get a 3/3 for 1B that usually costs you 3-4 life. When you draw Street Wraith, you get one at random of your other cards that costs you 2 life. The threat density decreases slightly (if we don't count the ability to hardcast Wraith), but the threat quality increases.

Cavius The Great
06-10-2007, 09:44 AM

How does this matter? I just see that as someone's "preference" to deckbuilding and something that's not extremely relevant. Either way you get the same results which leads me to believe that people have options on how they choose to design their decks. I'm not saying making cuts would be better, but you can still get away with doing it and have very similar results.

Anusien
06-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Outside of pure damage (where is becomes more self evident what is worth it or not) what Legacy legal cards do you think are wroth the risk of Street Wraith's life loss for. The card has been condemned as almost useless in Standard, but with Legacy's much higher power level and vast card pool, things are obviously different.
Aether Vial, Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Warchief, Goblin Matron
Empty the Warrens, Goblin Charbelcher
Leyline of the Void, Ill-Gotten Gains
Meditate
Survival of the Fittest
Aluren

Cait_Sith
06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Aether Vial, Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Warchief, Goblin Matron - It seems that Goblins cannot afford to cut Goblin cards to Street Wraith, so Vial, and Lands would have to go.
Empty the Warrens, Goblin Charbelcher - This is a definite possibility.
Leyline of the Void, Ill-Gotten Gains - Leyline not so much, but totally on IGG.
Meditate - The only good decks that run this have no use of Street Wraith. They need every drop of Storm they can get (Spring Tide could conceivably use this, but not Solidarity)
Survival of the Fittest - No problem here.
Aluren - Or here.

Comments in bold.

@Cavius: 56 card decks and 60 card decks work differently, just like a 60 card deck and a 64 card deck. Odds change, so importance changes with it.

Anusien
06-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Just as an FYI, due to some scheduling shifts, our articles will now go up Friday instead of Thursday. We'll continue to provide one a week.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-12-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Red Death, which seems like one of the few decks that could really take advantage of Street Wrath. That and Bridgorid.

Nihil Credo
06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Red Death, which seems like one of the few decks that could really take advantage of Street Wrath. That and Bridgorid.

For example, I'm trying out 1 Street Wraith in Red Death,