PDA

View Full Version : Play the Game MCKU summer league

alteredstates
06-09-2007, 10:18 AM
For those that have attended summer store events in the past, you know about ASMCKU(altered states magic championship of the known universe). This summer play in the PG MCKU!!

This summer league features wacky formats as well as the normal events that you already attend, and more of them!! Some of the formats that we will be running over the summer include a pick your own pack draft, peasant magic, type 4, silver border events and more! To be in the PG MCKU just play in any Magic event held by the store and you will automatically be entered. As you play in more events you will earn points to toward your final total, the more points the better!
***Check the event calendar for events***

Bring in a new player (either new to magic or not in our players data base) to a constructed event and receive a free booster and the new player plays for free! Both players will receive 3 points toward summer totals!

Point earnings structure:
1/+1/+1 means players earn 1 point for playing, 1 additional point for placing (top 2, 4, 8 depending on event), and 1 more additional point for winning. Splitting in the end of an event will go to the decided person or through tie-breakers as per DCI reporter.
All players must play out round one to earn any points.
Sliding scale applies to all tournaments except for point multiplied events.

The sliding scale is as follows:
Normal event points (1/+1/+1 or 2/+2/+2) for up to 16 players
For larger events of 16-31 players there will be an additional +1/+2/+2
For yet even larger events of 32+ people there will be a +2/+3/+3

BIG PRIZES TO BE AWARDED!!!
1st: 3 booster boxes (choice: in stock standard sets or future sets)
2nd: 2 booster boxes (choice: in stock standard sets or future sets)
3-4: 1 booster boxes (choice: in stock standard sets or future sets)
5-8: 1/2 booster box (choice: in stock standard sets or future sets)
9-16: $30 SC
17-32: $15 SC

This should not have any changes, but for complete up to date information please check our website:
www.playthegamereadthestory.com

Mulletus
06-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I talked a lot about this to a few people. I think you should forfeit your points if you drop out of the tournement. It stops people from entering and dropping for the points. I can't go to the store during the week, and I dont want people to get an advantage over me because they can attend more often than me. Let's say I play in and win the one tourney I can play in a week, if someone plays in all the events posted in a week and does aweful they can beat me in the points system. I don't know let me know what others think

Michael Keller
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I talked a lot about this to a few people. I think you should forfeit your points if you drop out of the tournement. It stops people from entering and dropping for the points. I can't go to the store during the week, and I dont want people to get an advantage over me because they can attend more often than me. Let's say I play in and win the one tourney I can play in a week, if someone plays in all the events posted in a week and does aweful they can beat me in the points system. I don't know let me know what others think

John I agree. I like the pick your own pack deal. This summer I'm going to bring in a pack of Antiquities.

scrumdogg
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I have 5 packs of Urza's Saga from when I started the ASMCKU :cool: I haven't opened them & will probably never get to a fun draft ever again, so anyone wants to trade for/buy them from me, PM & we can work out details.

Getsickanddie
06-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Bring back Thursday Extended.

Shriekmaw
06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Bring back Thursday Extended.

Extended is probably the most fun and entertaining magic format that there is right now. I would love to see extended back, and I'm pretty sure that people will show up. Its also a great event to the summer league every week.

alteredstates
06-10-2007, 02:35 PM
okay!! thank you for the input and keep it coming!!

Right now I'm not considering a forfeit of points, because they should be rewarded for entering the event. for the most part people only drop later in the event and not just after entering, if we see people abusing this they will be stopped. however, i will make it a rule that you have to stay and play out round one to help counter this. it usually isn't a problem thou.

As far as Extended events, what time works best for people?

Thanks again,

Rob Clark (yes for those who don't know i am back and running the magic events)

Shriekmaw
06-10-2007, 04:57 PM
The best time to run an extended tournament on thursday would be around 6 o'clock. This was the time that worked before. If it starts at 6, then we can usually get out at a reasonable time usually.

Janos_Wuryon
06-11-2007, 12:20 AM
There needs to be more of a reward for winning. It is awful that for players who only play 1 day a week that win events to get less points then those who just show up. I agree with mulletus, its terrible that someone can just pay and drop and keep building points. Plus with the difference between winning and just being there being so small it is almost impossible to catch up if you fall behind. Just like the first two asmcku's once dirty was ahead by say 8-10 points all he had to do was show up and he couldnt be overtaken. There should be more points for winning larger events. If I win an 8 man FNM and you win a forty man t2 we both only get 3 points !! im pretty sure the bigger winner had to work a lot harder for his points.

Gulkahn
06-11-2007, 09:54 PM
There needs to be more of a reward for winning. It is awful that for players who only play 1 day a week that win events to get less points then those who just show up. I agree with mulletus, its terrible that someone can just pay and drop and keep building points. Plus with the difference between winning and just being there being so small it is almost impossible to catch up if you fall behind. Just like the first two asmcku's once dirty was ahead by say 8-10 points all he had to do was show up and he couldnt be overtaken. There should be more points for winning larger events. If I win an 8 man FNM and you win a forty man t2 we both only get 3 points !! im pretty sure the bigger winner had to work a lot harder for his points.

i think there should be more points for winning.

They do run events that are worth more points. the block event is worth double points. as for the 1,+1,+1 that is just a general rule. there will be other events during the summer that will have more points on a regular basis and those events will be on the weekends. i think Rob said something about sealed, type 2 and legacy being more points, and those are all on the weekends. the other events will be run during the weekdays and will be the general 1,+1,+1 rule. by makeing certian events worth more points expecially 2x and 3x that creates a well earned gap.

Janos_Wuryon
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
NO becuase I might get 6 for winning you still get 2 for being there. Since there will be only 2-3 of these it will not be enough. Trust me ive played in these the last 3 years and once someone gets a lead all they have to do is show up and occasionally get a bonus point or 2 and you can not catch them.
The best thing i can think of is have the points for winning/placing go up as the number of players increase. so 8 man has +2 for first +1 for sec. 16+ 3, 2,1 24+ etc etc etc this way winning harder events is worth more and there is a real chance to catch someone by winning more than them. Or even better nix the points for showing up. That wont happen because it is the only real draw for players to pparticipate in multiple events.

scrumdogg
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Having a sliding scale for Top 4 based on attendance makes a lot of sense. It was one of the refinements we were looking at when we started the ASCKMU. The trick is to balance it properly, people should post serious proposals here for the benefit of the community (I don't have time right now to make one - other than to state that dropping the participation points would defeat much of the purpose of the series).

Shriekmaw
06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Having a sliding scale for Top 4 based on attendance makes a lot of sense. It was one of the refinements we were looking at when we started the ASCKMU. The trick is to balance it properly, people should post serious proposals here for the benefit of the community (I don't have time right now to make one - other than to state that dropping the participation points would defeat much of the purpose of the series).

I like the format of the points pretty good. You get one point for entering, another point for a top 4, and a additional point if you win the tournament. I would like to see more points given out for bigger events.

If a magic event is 16 or more players, more than 4 rounds of magic. Then the points should be double to reward players that do well at bigger local magic events. This will also help players in points that don't play as many tournaments as some other players. To reward players for doing well at bigger events is the key for this to be a big success.

TeenieBopper
06-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I like the format of the points pretty good. You get one point for entering, another point for a top 4, and a additional point if you win the tournament. I would like to see more points given out for bigger events.

If a magic event is 16 or more players, more than 4 rounds of magic. Then the points should be double to reward players that do well at bigger local magic events. This will also help players in points that don't play as many tournaments as some other players. To reward players for doing well at bigger events is the key for this to be a big success.

This also fills the goal of the store, because lets face it, they only do it for the money. This gets more asses in the seats, so to speak.

scrumdogg
06-13-2007, 12:48 AM
The trick is to not overly weight only a few tournaments, which was one of the reasons Isaac was able to win that first year. Of course, those tournaments had a fixed number of points, utilizing a sliding scale means that no one person can strategically guarantee themselves enough points.

Janos_Wuryon
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
first of all the idea of making a profit being an issue is outrageous. Lets see have an employee who is already on the clock spend maybe 15 minutes recording and posting parings costs nothing, the sanctioning costs are minimal and every dollar taken in is profit for constructed, more than half is profit from limited then give back less than half in credit that can only be used to buy overinflated, and mostly undesireable product. sounds like making money aint too tough fer the store to do. Even with the move the store, hate the player summer champ. they give out prizes that are more than payed for by the weekly turnouts. I dont want to hear about the poor store not profiting off of players. Now I dont begrude them the right to make money but seriously. Now as far as the point per event issue why not have it be 1 point /wk for entering events. this way its winning /placing in events that determines the summer champion.

06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
You could structure it like the whole City Champs thing that wizards promoted. You coud do like 1 point for entering, 2 for each swiss win, 1 for the draw, and extra for the "winner" say 2 points so if they split they each get one. Obviously the more events attended the better, but it should go to the best player there.

alteredstates
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
okay considerations taken! Thank you all who helped. I hope this proves to be better than previous Summer events! I will repost the decription at the top. All information provided should be checked agaist our website for complete and official details!

Thank you,

R0B

alteredstates
07-04-2007, 10:14 AM
The summer league is under way with people earning points left and right!! The totals will be updated tomorrow (7/5) to reflect your current standings!

dont have enough points? want more? attend the extended events on monday nights that are worth 6 points to the winner! Or play in the sealed deck events on saturdays where you get a free pack and free entry into the legacy event in the afternoon! Saturdays are worth a lot of points for people to miss out on!

**bonus points**
Tenth edition Game Day!!
Sealed deck will be worth 12 points to the winner if there are over 32 people!
or play in the booster drafts that will start at noon for 1 point each with an extra point to the winner!

check out our website for details:

alteredstates
08-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I will be updating the standings tonight so players can gear up for the PG MCKU league end weekend!

Friday, September 21: 6:00 pm Special points FNM (2/+3/+3)

Saturday, September 22: 11:00am PTG Legacy Championship! (3/+4/+4)
First place Gets choice from a Mox Ruby, PSA 9 Tropical island or Mishra's Workshop

Sunday, September 23: 11:00pm PTG Sealed deck Championship! (3/+4/+4)

Starting in September Sealed deck and Legacy have moved back to Sundays!
Sealed deck starts at 11:00 am
Legacy starts at 3:00 pm

alteredstates
09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Points have been updated!!! check them out GO GO GO
Jared Zimmer is in first place!

Shriekmaw
09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Jared Zimmer is in first place!

Its a sad day in Syracuse when Jared is in first place when it comes to Magic: The Gathering.

alteredstates
09-28-2007, 08:26 PM
The leagues final standings have been updated and posted!! If you are in the top 32 please come see Rob at the store anytime to pick up your prize or give us your choice of packs/box(es) if you made top 8!

Thank you all for playing! Look forward to some changes for next summer! as per usual any and all feedback will be useful!

Thank you,

Rob
Play the Game

Wallace
09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Its a sad day in Syracuse when Jared is in first place when it comes to Magic: The Gathering.

O come on Nick, when he copies your decks every week and top decks every game ftw, its no suprise that he is in first. Not to mention he showed up to every event, every week.

Shriekmaw
09-29-2007, 11:30 AM
O come on Nick, when he copies your decks every week and top decks every game ftw, its no suprise that he is in first. Not to mention he showed up to every event, every week.

I know what he does. It will be interesting when we go to some Grand Prixs in the upcoming year and see who does better. Plus, I have other things to do then to show up every day of the week to Altered States just to play in a tournament when like 4 people show up. I don't think that is fun, I like playing this game when a good number shows up b/c otherwise its just not fun.

Brushwagg
09-29-2007, 01:46 PM
HA!! Looked on the sight and I made 28th. Playing in 3 tournaments and still getting credit rocks.

Mulletus
10-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I only played in 2-3 I think, and got 16th. It helps thet I won once and top 8ed the other time.

willo
10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey Mr Nick,

Such a sore loser. Wow. Is there any sportmanship in this game. I remember beating you round one of a extended tournament and you slammed the table saying how much of a better player you were than me, then leaving the store without telling anyone without playing another round. Remember when you were 40 points ahead of me and I found out there was a summer league, lol. And for you playing in small events you would always play at the mall with 4 scrubs and win when all the competition was at comix zone.

Wallace as for copying decks I remember stomping your sliver deck with burn and then you going and making a burn deck which is all you play now, even in legacy, go original.

Hats off for the sportmanship in Syracuse, Go guys. By the way I either placed or won most of the events I played in this summer.

on1y0ne
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey Mr Nick,

Such a sore loser. Wow. Is there any sportmanship in this game. I remember beating you round one of a extended tournament and you slammed the table saying how much of a better player you were than me, then leaving the store without telling anyone without playing another round. Remember when you were 40 points ahead of me and I found out there was a summer league, lol. And for you playing in small events you would always play at the mall with 4 scrubs and win when all the competition was at comix zone.

Wallace as for copying decks I remember stomping your sliver deck with burn and then you going and making a burn deck which is all you play now, even in legacy, go original.

Hats off for the sportmanship in Syracuse, Go guys. By the way I either placed or won most of the events I played in this summer.

First of all, Jared, welcome to the source. Sadly, most people don't use their first post to bash other people. However, I understand your frustration in doing so.

Second, congratulations on winning the top prize at Altered. You fought long and hard in doing so, and you deserve it.

To all the people in Syracuse who want to bash Jared, you all had the opportunity to do what he did. Let's look at what Jared accomplished:

He built and tuned several constructed decks in a variety of formats while doing research to see what would be the best strategy.
He tuned his own playing skills in a variety of formats and became a better overall Magic player.
He took every opportunity he could to work toward his goal of earning the most points, and opportunity everyone in Syracuse could have taken and a goal we all could have worked toward.

Granted, not everyone could have dedicated the time that Jared did toward the goal. He didn't make it to every event. And he did place in several of the events he participated in.

Give credit where credit is due. Jared you did a fine job. Many people wish they could sacrifice as much time as you did to earn the prize you did. Now, you will become even better and have the opportunity to show it with all the cards you will be getting from your reward.

Just my two cents.... for what its worth

Mulletus
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I dont know who jared is.

I did however get quite a hastle for trying to pick my prize up from the mongoloid behind the counter. I had to first break his conversation with his buddy to get any sevice at all.... then he said he didnt know anything about the "magic thingy".... I explained to him it was on his website, I had to pretty much hold his hand through that navagation.... then after seeing on his own site that I was in 16th he had to ask the owner if he could give the prize to me.... but no, the owner said I had to wait for one of the people that ran the events to get my prize..... well he's on vacation..... Just one more reason that comix zone has my business now.

TeenieBopper
10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Wait, what? We're celebrating the Chris Bice clause now? Christ, have things changed.

FakeSpam
10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Everybody since Isaac Haxton has won that thing based on sheer attrition. There is a reason Dirty won 30 in a row or whatever.

TeenieBopper
10-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Everybody since Isaac Haxton has won that thing based on sheer attrition. There is a reason Dirty won 30 in a row or whatever.

You know, I had no problem with Isaac winning the whole thing. He was better than any other player in Syracuse (save Melnikow). Maybe it's just me, but I tend to equate "champion" with "best". I don't know why they call it the magic championship. They should just call it the "Give Us Much More Money Than We Give Away In Prizes and We'll Give You an Empty Title That's a Joke to Anyone Who has any Clue What the Fuck They're Talking About Tournament."

Wallace
10-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Hey Mr Nick,

First off Jared, welcome to the Source. I am glad you finally took the time to join.

As far as Nick being a sore loser, come on, you are the only person who gave a shit about the stupid summer league at PTG. The rest of us have played in previous summer leagues and we understand what you need to do to win. The fact that you won is great, congrats! The fact that the entire time you were winning/won, all you did was brag about it, :rolleyes: . I took 2nd last year, I didn’t brag, I didn’t throw it in everyone’s face. I did the same thing you did, I showed up to almost every event, sometimes just playing the first round. You are a hard guy to get along with sometimes man, I am the same way. Win with some respect, you beat someone and you have to run and tell everyone about it, “I just beat so and so, I won 2-0”. You fail to mention the fact that they only drew 2 land the whole game, or that they drew every land in there deck. You seem to remember real quick when the person you beat brings it up.

As far as you copying decks, you started playing extended, Nick shows up and smash’s the field, all 6 of them from what I hear, and you start to play the same deck, the very next week. The not only do you start to run the same deck, you run the same build!! Nick is the only person I know who plays Orm’s Chant in his Boros deck, now you run it. There is no problem using someone else’s deck idea/build, we have all done it. You need to learn to give credit where credit is due, Nick left that night because you were an ass when you beat him. Nick takes this game a little more seriously than some of us, that’s fine, he is a good player, he deserves a little respect. You get excited when you win, that is fine, you “laugh” at people when you beat them. You may not come right out and start laughing in there face but it is the way you act, your demeanor.

Yes Jared you smashed my BLOCK sliver deck with your type 2 deck and I did start to play burn after that. I started to play burn because you wouldn’t listen to the suggestions I had or any one else had. I just wanted to show you what a different build of the deck could do, why I thought Red/Black was the wrong call. You have a hard time accepting criticism, which is my biggest problem with you. You act like you are god’s gift to magic, when in reality you have a lot less experience then the people who are just trying to help. I think Nick and I both would have a lot less of a problem with you if ya would just listen once and a while. I have known you for over 2 years now Jared and you have come a long way since we met. You are a good player; you just need to learn to listen to people. This may sound kind of strange coming from me, the guy bitches and complains about everything, but I think you need to just act a little different when you win or lose and don’t just shrug off suggestions form other players who are just trying to help.

Getsickanddie
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Yawn. Who cares what happens at Play The Game anyway? As far as I'm concerned they can keep throwing money away with these kind of events, but I'm still not going to show up. Now if they had more reasonable prices on their merchandise....

Wallace
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Yawn. Who cares what happens at Play The Game anyway? As far as I'm concerned they can keep throwing money away with these kind of events, but I'm still not going to show up. Now if they had more reasonable prices on their merchandise....

Come on man there prices are reasonable, $22 Cursed Scroll, $40 In the Eye of Choas, $22 Jitte, and $40 Scrublands, $27 Intuition...

You could just use credit to buy the things you want though...o' wait...

TeenieBopper
10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
$30 Goblin Lackey...

It's absolutely preposterous that I would have to win two tourneys in order to buy one goblin lackey.

Fuck MtS,CtN. I hope they go broke.

willo
10-05-2007, 07:40 PM
wallace

when i started playing extended i started with boros, i was just missing some cards. as for the orims chants i did get the idea from nick to try them, but that was because i got my hand on two foil ones (1 chinese). One thing about you is you play original decks, Nick plays decks you can find pro's playing that are all over the internet. Nothing against him, but when he plays I know all the cards coming even if I have never played the deck before. I think you have more fun designing your own builds, as do I. I spend hours sometimes just trying to add colors or certain cards.

Shriekmaw
10-08-2007, 06:12 PM
wallace

when i started playing extended i started with boros, i was just missing some cards. as for the orims chants i did get the idea from nick to try them, but that was because i got my hand on two foil ones (1 chinese). One thing about you is you play original decks, Nick plays decks you can find pro's playing that are all over the internet. Nothing against him, but when he plays I know all the cards coming even if I have never played the deck before. I think you have more fun designing your own builds, as do I. I spend hours sometimes just trying to add colors or certain cards.

Okay, wait a minute here folks. I'm never a person that claims to creates my own decks, but I usually take a deck list and tweak it for the appropriate metagame. I spend hours of testing outside of playing in tournaments here in Syracuse. I usually spend most of my time in the extended and standard formats.

I was the one that started to play Orim's Chant in extended Boros, so don't go and say I stole that idea from someone or that I totally copied a decklist. When future sight became legal I put Tarmogoyf into the deck as I was already splashing green.

I know that these aren't creative ideas, but they are the same ones as I see pros advocating a few months after I played my version of the deck.

P.S. - If you know all the cards I play in my decks, then why can't you beat me in constructed?

willo
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
So Nick you are trying to say that I have never beat you in Contructed?

Shriekmaw
10-08-2007, 07:33 PM
So Nick you are trying to say that I have never beat you in Contructed?

First of all, I never said that. I've played against a lot of different players, mostly everyone in Syracuse in a game of magic throughout my magic career. I have lost my temper on some occasions, but when you call me a "sore loser" is totally uncalled for. I don't have to talk about tournament statistics or results, because they speak for themselves.

Why don't you go around and ask the magic community that have played against me and ask them if I'm a "Sore Loser"?

I think I'm very respectful of the game and the players that play it. I try to do as much as possible to offer people advice so they learn and play better next time.

I remember when I first started out playing very poorly. I don't think I'm that great at the game and always trying to improve my play skill and ability.

The one thing I have to say about Jared that I don't like and never liked from any player is when they beat someone thats good at magic, bragging about how they won all day long.

"I don't care who you are, I'm not going to put up with that crap."

~The Nick~