PDA

View Full Version : Tenth Edition-SQUEEEEE!!!!

Happy Gilmore
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Thats right, confirmed in Tenth Edition:

Squee, Goblin Nabob
Goblin Piledriver
Mogg Fanatic
Treetop Village
Birds
WoG
10 painlands
Troll Ascetic
Root Maze
Goblin Lore
Faerie Conclave
Aura of Silence
Mogg Fanatic
Crucible of Worlds
Incinerate

Edit:
Hurkyl's Recall

ALL BLACK BORDERED!!!

And the art thus far looks amazing:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/408

Nightmare
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Hurkyl's Recall.

Happy Gilmore
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Hurkyl's Recall.

Oh right...and have you seen the art for it? Its awsome. I think I'm going to buy atleast a case of 10th. I see no reason not too. And I am very curious about the new art for Piledriver, its going to be very difficult to top the original.

Mulletus
06-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Wow, I'm glad I kept my foil Trolls and Foil Squee. Not that they're going to go up in value in any way. If tenth is BB, it'll prolly drop the value.

Nightmare
06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Wow, I'm glad I kept my foil Trolls and Foil Squee. Not that they're going to go up in value in any way. If tenth is BB, it'll prolly drop the value.
Tenth is Black Bordered.

Hummingbird TG
06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Squee should retain it's value because of the old border, shouldn't it?

dre4m
06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Squee should retain it's value because of the old border, shouldn't it?

If you mean the old card template [face] then maybe, but the borders will be the same: black.

Pinder
06-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Regarding the art in the article, we know it's group H-P, because

5. Nekrataal
8. Might of Oaks
10. Incinerate
14. Kamahl, Pit Fighter
19. Lord of the Pit

Those are the ones I know, and my guesses would then be:
1. ??
2. ?? (Some sort of white aura?)
3. Loxodon Heirarch (some sort of Loxodon, anyway)
4. Llanowar Elves? Would they do that with Birds being confirmed?
6. ??
7. ??
9. ??
11. ??
12. ??
13. ??
15. ??
16. ??
17. ??
18. ??

Pale Moon FTW
06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
From the MTG.com message boards:

1. Overgrowth
2. master healer
3. loxodon mystic
4. Llanowar Elves
5. Nekrataal
6. legacy's allure
7. imagecrafter
8. Might Of Oaks
9. Paladin en-Vec
10. Incinerate
11. Joiner Adept
12. manabarbs
13. Hurkyl's Recall
14. Kamahl, Pit Fighter
15. Knight of Dusk
16. ley druid
17. Puppeteer
18. knighthood
19. Lord of the Pit

Eldariel
06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I heard Inquest confirmed 'Geddonblaster.

Pinder
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
7 doesn't look a whole lot like Imagecrafter to me, but whatever. The rest of them fir pretty well, though.

Dr. Teeth
06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
1. Overgrowth
2. master healer
3. loxodon mystic
4. Llanowar Elves
5. Nekrataal
6. legacy's allure
7. imagecrafter
8. Might Of Oaks
9. Knights of Thorn
10. Incinerate
11. Joiner Adept
12. manabarbs
13. Hurkyl's Recall
14. Kamahl, Pit Fighter
15. Knight of Dusk
16. ley druid
17. Puppeteer
18. Paliden en-Vec
19. Lord of the Pit

thats what i think
also 15 looks like Dakmor Sorceress but idk if it could be or not

hi-val
06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
No Grim Tutor or Imperial Seal though : (

The new art for Hurk's doesn't do it for me because it doesn't tell the story that the old one did. That is, Tawnos ganked all those spells from Hurkyl, who is pictured on the card. Maybe I like it also because it's a piece of art that would never be published today. Also, WTF @ 17-- Wizards actively avoids the image of "wizard with stars on his robe, beard and pointy hat".

revenge_inc
06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I hope neither 9, nor 18 is Paladin en-Vec, as I much prefer the 9th edition art.

Barook
06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe I like it also because it's a piece of art that would never be published today.

How so? :confused:

It features a good-looking chick with cleavage - fits today's art direction perfectly. :laugh:

AngryTroll
06-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Mmm.....more foil Trolls. I hope the art is different...I like the old art, but I'd like to see what else they can come up with for him. Hmm...perhaps Curious, Rancored up, carrying a Jitte in one hand, and a Sword of Fire and Ice in the other, wearing an Armadillo Cloak?

mogote
06-12-2007, 03:52 AM
also 15 looks like Dakmor Sorceress but idk if it could be or not
Does it start with a letter between H and P?

No Grim Tutor or Imperial Seal though : (
How do you know that they wouldn't keep the old artwork?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Mogg Fanatic
Mog Fanatic

Holy shit, they're bringing back both these cards? I used to have an amazing T2 deck that ran playsets of both of them. It was so powerful that the Judges always DQ'd me after seeing my broken decklist, I guess for being too awesome or something.

Tacosnape
06-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Holy shit, they're bringing back both these cards? I used to have an amazing T2 deck that ran playsets of both of them. It was so powerful that the Judges always DQ'd me after seeing my broken decklist, I guess for being too awesome or something.

I don't see why they don't just ban Mog Fanatic. The only thing more powerful than a 1/1 Goblin for :r: that has "Sacrifice Mogg Fanatic: Mogg Fanatic deals 1 damage to target creature or player" is a 1/1 Moogle for :r: that has "Sacrifice Mog Fanatic, kupo: Mog Fanatic deals 1 damage to target creature or player, kupo!"

hi-val
06-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Does it start with a letter between H and P?

How do you know that they wouldn't keep the old artwork?

I just assume that since nothing has leaked out about GT or IS, it's nowhere to be seen. There was a significant push for both in 9th and it didn't pan out, which is unfortunate. Both cards are very fair.

Hummingbird TG
06-12-2007, 06:43 AM
But those would impact the secondary market too much. Although being present would definitely sell boosters of 10th.

bladewing019
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
G is before H, so grim tutor has a chance, or maybe they aren't showing new art for every card thats getting it? But I doubt they will reprint them because of the power level and the secondary market value.

Zach Tartell
06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Power level? It's got double black, it's a sorcery, and you have to pay three life.

DeathwingZERO
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I agree about Grim and Seal, either coming back wouldn't cause anymore of an issue than Hippie coming back in 9th. We don't have the acceleration to break them, there aren't any combo/control decks in T2 that would abuse them, AND it kills the secondary market value of cards that were printed in short term only because Wizards made no money whatsoever on Starter and Three Kingdoms.

It's one thing to worry about secondary market values of Power Nine and the like, as Wizards pointed out a while back, but Starter and Portal stuff is practically new in comparison to Beta and the original 3 expansions in age and play. I see no reason to not reprint either, their power level is only absurd in Legacy and Vintage (hell, Grim is legal here and we still haven't broke it), where they are already dealt with. I'm personally sick of the core sets giving us that terrible 4 mana tutor anyways.

I'm glad 10th edition is back to being a "best of" core set design, rather than the "Beginners Guide to Magic". This looks to be the best core set in a long while.

Xero
06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Diabolic Tutor has been confirmed. It seems unlikely to me that Wizard's would put 2 :b: tutors in 10th, so the chances for GT or IS seem slim.

hi-val
06-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Grim Tutor is FAR more flavorful for Black than Diabolic was, and it's not like anyone gets to play with Dark Rituals in other formats anyway. IS is a very fair replacement for Vamp and probably isn't too dangerous (I'm sure Dralnu would still run Mystical Teachings instead). Vamp wasn't even played that much in Extended, and they had Tempest block to help out! I think Wizards has a fear of tutors in their formats, which is unfortunate. New players LOVE tutors-- I remember how happy I was to finally get a Demonic Tutor myself!

Nightmare
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Grim Tutor is probably the most fair reprint of Demonic in print. Infernal Tutor is way better in most situations we would see in Legacy.

TheAardvark
06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Vamp wasn't even played that much in Extended, and they had Tempest block to help out!

Uh, yes it was. Every Rock variant, most combo decks, every Reanimator deck, random decks...believe me, Vampiric Tutor was played a lot in Extended. It wasn't played nearly as much during the Mirrodin debacle, but before and after that it was definitely a common sight.

Anyway, Grim Tutor is a perfectly acceptable card to be reprinted as far as power level goes, but with Diabolic Tutor being in 10th, it's not happening.

Of course, WotC themselves said Birds Of Paradise would not be in 10th, so take anything anyone says about what's in or out with a grain of salt unless it's been 100% confirmed.

Happy Gilmore
06-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Uh, yes it was. Every Rock variant, most combo decks, every Reanimator deck, random decks...believe me, Vampiric Tutor was played a lot in Extended. It wasn't played nearly as much during the Mirrodin debacle, but before and after that it was definitely a common sight.

Anyway, Grim Tutor is a perfectly acceptable card to be reprinted as far as power level goes, but with Diabolic Tutor being in 10th, it's not happening.

Of course, WotC themselves said Birds Of Paradise would not be in 10th, so take anything anyone says about what's in or out with a grain of salt unless it's been 100% confirmed.

Both LLanowar Elves AND Birds are in this set. It actually makes much more sense to reprint Grim Tutor instead of Diabolic IMO. It has so much more flavor and is not broken in standard or Extended. It would be great to pick up a set for under $200. Anyone think they might reprint Sea Drake?

TheAardvark
06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Both LLanowar Elves AND Birds are in this set. It actually makes much more sense to reprint Grim Tutor instead of Diabolic IMO. It has so much more flavor and is not broken in standard or Extended. It would be great to pick up a set for under $200. Anyone think they might reprint Sea Drake?

I see your point re: Elves + Birds, but they have a different mindset when it comes to Tutors, and I don't think they'd ever print a "better" Tutor in the same Core Set with Diabolic Tutor. It's possible, just unlikely.

Sea Drake is a no, because the ability does not work like it would if it had been printed in a normal set, so they'll consider it "overpowered" and/or "not templated correctly" and leave it at that, methinks. The odd part is that, unless you build the deck around it, the drawback will happen almost every time you would ever play the damn thing in Standard or Extended. I can see Serendib coming back before Sea Drake, honestly, and that won't happen either. It WAS banned in Extended, if you'll recall...

So were Kird Ape, Hypnotic Specter, and Juggernaut, though. My point? Nothing, really. I just like to point out things like that because they are funny.

Tacosnape
06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
They rigged the voting contest to keep Thunder Dragon out. I seriously doubt you'll see Sea Drake or Grim Tutor in core, ever.

hi-val
06-15-2007, 12:47 AM

Rock was awful. UW Desire was better than UB Desire. "Random decks" are also awful. Reanimator was nowhere to be seen. Clearly, it was played, but playing Vamp in Rock and Reanimator is infinitely more fair than playing it in combo. Intuition was generally a much better tutor than Vamp was in Extended.

Pinder
06-15-2007, 01:06 AM
So, tokens in Tenth. I figure that there will be one in each booster and they'll take up a common slot, like the Unhinged Lands. Of course, this has the nice bonus of some of the other cards in the pack being useful for sanctioned play, too.

Di
06-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Oh man if Sea Drake was reprinted I'd be playing Standard again.

Rock was awful. UW Desire was better than UB Desire. "Random decks" are also awful. Reanimator was nowhere to be seen. Clearly, it was played, but playing Vamp in Rock and Reanimator is infinitely more fair than playing it in combo. Intuition was generally a much better tutor than Vamp was in Extended.

Where the fuck where you playing Extended? Or were you playing Extended at all? I'm leaning towards that, because your comment indicates you clearly have no knowledge of the format at the time. The format in which Intution was legal also happened to have Oath of Druids, Force of Will, and an entire format's worth of different decks.

The Rock sucking? It was one of the strongest decks in the format. As far as UW Desire being superior to UB, that's debatable. However, I don't see how cards like Primsmatic Strands would compare to Vampiric searching up Desire and winning the game. Reanimator wasn't bad, either.

Just to actually prove you wrong, here are some results:

Rock puts 2 in GP top8, wins tournament (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpseat05/welcome#2)

Reanimator and UB Desire in top8 of PT: Columbus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/ptcol05/t8decks)

Some Extended Open tournament on Wizards. Rock puts 2 in top8 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/jm70)

Article highlighting Reanimator with 2 PT top8/top16 examples (http://mtgsalvation.com/20-extended-reanimator.html)

I could go on but it's rather late. Good night.

Mijorre
06-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Whee~ Token creatures.
Those basic lands better be full art as well. ^^.

dre4m
06-15-2007, 07:16 AM

A set? Try one. In Michigan, at least, a single Grim Tutor goes between $150-$200, and as I only own one, it would be both a boon and a disappointment to see my single mint one go way down in price, but a huge spike in availability. Plus, I'd like to see what they would do with the art.

06-15-2007, 12:43 PM
That would be sweet, full art lands would be the SHIT, then i wouldn't have to get foils and unglued ones.

TheAardvark
06-15-2007, 02:13 PM

Well, in the first place, no one said anything about "good" decks playing whatever cards; you said it wasn't played much. Vampiric Tutor was played more than Intuition, at least in T8 decks, throughout its life in Extended.

As far as Rock being awful...it was, in certain metagames. In others it was an absolute wrecking ball. It's a metagame deck, and it made an awful lot of T8s while V.Tutor was legal in the format.

The Big Cheese 3
06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Wow crucible is going to be fun in T2 for all that play it. Because they have all the manlands from urza, and it gives the player a wastelock (ghostquater) till the next set comes. So if you play T2 it will be more interesting than it has been in a long time.

Barook
06-15-2007, 02:55 PM
T2 also has Terramorphic Expanse for deck-thinning - not as good as normal Fetchlands, but still very, very good.

And i don't think they'll reprint Grim Tutor (although it would be awesome), simply due to the secondary market. It would piss various people off that their investment is turned into nothing. For the same reason, FoW was not in the Coldsnap precons, although it was the best chance to reprint FoW.

That would be sweet, full art lands would be the SHIT, then i wouldn't have to get foils and unglued ones.
Imagine a full art Invasion Plains from John Avon - Raging-boner-time! :laugh:

hi-val
06-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh man if Sea Drake was reprinted I'd be playing Standard again.

Where the fuck where you playing Extended? Or were you playing Extended at all? I'm leaning towards that, because your comment indicates you clearly have no knowledge of the format at the time. The format in which Intution was legal also happened to have Oath of Druids, Force of Will, and an entire format's worth of different decks.

The Rock sucking? It was one of the strongest decks in the format. As far as UW Desire being superior to UB, that's debatable. However, I don't see how cards like Primsmatic Strands would compare to Vampiric searching up Desire and winning the game. Reanimator wasn't bad, either.

Just to actually prove you wrong, here are some results:

Rock puts 2 in GP top8, wins tournament (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpseat05/welcome#2)

Reanimator and UB Desire in top8 of PT: Columbus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/ptcol05/t8decks)

Some Extended Open tournament on Wizards. Rock puts 2 in top8 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/jm70)

Article highlighting Reanimator with 2 PT top8/top16 examples (http://mtgsalvation.com/20-extended-reanimator.html)

I could go on but it's rather late. Good night.

Find me all the tournaments where that stuff doesn't pop up so we see a true sample instead of cherrypicked stuff. Please, do go on.

All those are really fair uses of Vamp anyway. Why didn't Maher Oath run it? It had Enlightened, which was pretty much similar for the deck anyway. Vamp could still hunt down lands and FOW and Forbid and all those. Even combo decks shied away from it, like this T8 Aluren deck (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpseat05/welcome#2). Even Oiso's UB Desire deck ran only 2 copies of Vamp. The UW decks were favored in any case because of Sphere of Law off the board, which fought back all the goblins everywhere at GPs.

Intuition was played in every Hulk deck imaginable, as well as in Aluren, all Desire decks and a host of other things. Intuition is hands-down more common in T8s than Vamp.

All of this is aside from my point though, which is that Imperial Seal would be fair in the Extended environment. Its stronger cousin wasn't even played extensively in decks that you would think would run it.

IIRC, R&D has said that they don't take price into account when they reprint things. Collectors know that GT is not on the reserved list, so caveat emptor. Besides, we don't know what happens to high-value cards when they are reprinted because we haven't seen a truly high-value card reprinted. There's the possibility of original GTs spiking in price because of new demand for them.

And Rock is still sooooo bad.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Find me all the tournaments where that stuff doesn't pop up so we see a true sample instead of cherrypicked stuff. Please, do go on.

I'm sorry, did you actually just ask him to find all Extended tournaments where Rock didn't top 8? Like, for serial?

That aside, Imperial Seal would be fine. Vampiric Tutor would be fine, honestly. The problem with the latter being unrestricted is that Imperial Seal would have to be unrestricted, since it's strictly worse, and it costs a billion dollars. But neither would hurt T2 or Extended much, so there shouldn't be a problem with reprinting the card. But I would doubt that Wizards has the testicular fortitude.

Xero
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM

I need you to find every Standard Top 8 list that dosen't have a Forest, since that would be slightly more retarded that what you just asked.

Pale Moon FTW
06-15-2007, 05:26 PM
You might as well stop fantasizing about Wizards reprinting portal tutors 'cause it's not gonna happen. They'd get very unpopular by people who just bought one for like $80 (don't really know if they're that expensive any more but they are pretty freaking costy).

Nihil Credo
06-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Ten cards I'd like to see in Core Sets, for various reasons (ranging from "c'mon, it's a perfect fit!" to "I hate having to buy crappy SOK boosters for it" to "man, that card was awesome fun in T2")

- Mother of Runes
- Peek
- Silver Knight
- Pithing Needle
- Mise
- Diabolic Edict
- Greater Harvester
- Mutilate
- Priest of Titania
- City of Traitors

TheAardvark
06-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Intuition was played in every Hulk deck imaginable, as well as in Aluren, all Desire decks and a host of other things. Intuition is hands-down more common in T8s than Vamp.

Really?

PT Columbus:
Vampiric--6 (2 decks)
Intuition--7 (3 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/ptcol05/t8decks)

GP Singapore
Vampiric--5 (2 decks)
Intuition--6 (2 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpsing05/welcome#1)

GP Seattle
Vampiric--9 (3 decks)
Intuition--8 (2 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpseat05/welcome#2)

GP Eindhoven
Vampiric--8 (2 decks)
Intuition--7 (3 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpeind05/welcome#27)

GP Boston
Vampiric--13 (4 decks)
Intuition--11 (4 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/gpbost05/welcome#8)

PT New Orleans
Vampiric--8 (2 decks)
Intuition--2 (1 deck)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/ptno03/d2decksTop8)

GP Okayama
Vampiric--18 (6 decks)
Inuition--4 (2 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/gpoka04/top8decks)

GP Anaheim
Vampiric--9 (3 decks)
Intuition--2 (1 deck)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/gpana03/top8decks)

PT Houston
Vampiric--18 (5 decks)
Intuition--9 (3 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/pthou02/t8decks)

Yokohama Masters
Vampiric--4 (1 deck)
Intuition--2 (1 deck)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/mastersyok03/decklists)

GP Hiroshima
Vampiric--7 (3 decks)
Intuition--3 (1 deck)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/gphir03/t8decks)

GP New Orleans
Vampiric--5 (3 decks)
Intuition--6 (3 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/gpno03/t8decks)

GP Reims
Vampiric--1 (1 deck)
Intuition--5 (2 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/gprei02/t8decks)

PT New Orleans
Vampiric--8 (2 decks)
Intuition--8 (3 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=PTNOR01\693top8decks)

Nice Masters
Vampiric--0 (0 decks)
Intuition--8 (3 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/mastersnice02/decks)

GP Lisbon
Vampiric--0 (0 decks)
Intuition--2 (1 deck)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=GPLIS02\550top8decks)

GP Houston
Vampiric--0 (0 decks)
Intuition--4 (1 deck)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=GPHOU02\750top8decks)

GP Sendai
Vampiric--4 (1 deck)
Intuition--18 (6 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=GPSEN01\550t8decks)

GP Las Vegas
Vampiric--8 (3 decks)
Intuition--0 (0 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=GPLV01\786decks3)

GP Curitiba
Vampiric--6 (2 decks)
Intuition--0 (0 decks)

Lists (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=GPCUR01\720t8decks)

TOTALS:
Vampiric--137 (45 decks)
Intuition--112 (42 decks)

We could go further back, but it's harder because the majority of events do not have any kind of specification on which format is used, and I don't feel like clicking each one. Let's just say this: U/B Trix played Vampiric Tutor over Intuition. That means 2 things to this discussion: arguably the best Extended deck ever played V.Tutor instead of Intuition; if we were to go back further, V.Tutor's numbers would go quite a bit higher, while Intuition could never catch up numbers-wise. Intuition only popped up randomly before post-Necro Trix.

Also, what does Intuition being in Hulk lists have to do with what we were discussing? We were discussing Extended. For that matter, Intuition wasn't played in any Hulk decks I saw. In addition, if you don't think that V. Tutor would have been in Hulk if it were not banned...I don't even know what to say.

We also aren't discussing "fair" or "unfair" uses of cards; you stated that Intuition was in more T8 decks than V.Tutor, period.

Just saying.

hi-val
06-16-2007, 02:41 AM
I need you to find every Standard Top 8 list that dosen't have a Forest, since that would be slightly more retarded that what you just asked.

Do you have any idea of what sample size is? Why don't I show you four examples of accidents involving red cars and then tell you that it'd be "retarded" to think other than that red cars are the most dangerous cars on the road? Take Stats 101 or Economics, it'll make sense to you then.

I mean, it's one thing to just select two or three examples and make a weak point. It's another entirely to completely own me like TheAardvark did. Good show, chap. My point, incidentally, was that Intuition was played on the same levels as Vamp was, and Intuition has less potential for brokenness that IS/VT has.

You might as well stop fantasizing about Wizards reprinting Psionic Blast 'cause it's not gonna happen. They'd get very unpopular by people who just bought one for like $80 (don't really know if they're that expensive any more but they are pretty freaking costy).

Fixed for you!

Nihil, that looks like a good list; I think WOTC said Mom was a little overpowered for white though. Peek and Mutilate are both great cards for making beginners into better players. Do you run the Telepathy that only works once? Do you run monocolor or splash with Mutilate? In fact, City of Traitors fills that role too. Priest of Titania, though, now that's blatant elf-lovin'.

Di
06-16-2007, 03:20 AM
I mean, it's one thing to just select two or three examples and make a weak point.

Although my case pales in comparison to the show The Aardvark just pulled, I believe it's a much weaker point to completely denounce a deck that has proven results. It's not like they were flukes or anything. Oh well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think the message has been sent. In a format like Extended where there were an incredible amount of viable decks, it was never likely you'd see the same exact things popping up after every event. It wasn't like Legacy where you will see Goblins make top8 at every tournament.

Anyway, I really don't see any reason to continue this argument, seeing how we were supposed to be discussing 10th Edition.

hi-val
06-16-2007, 03:32 AM
You have a point. I'm basing my stance on Rock on the pro perception-- mainly, that it, like RDW, was something they didn't want to be near. It's a deck where all the skill in the world won't overcome the wrong draws, and it happens more often in Rock than other decks. It also opens up weird tangents like Macey Rock-- do we consider it Rock, though it's more like Funk decks?

Anyway, a more important point is they're finally figuring out that beginners can understand the Legend rule : ) I'm sure Squee is going to have some sickass combos going on with TS. Greenseeker comes to mind but I'm sure there are better things like STRAWMBIND!!!

TheAardvark
06-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes, Squeebind will live again.

And dammit, I qualified for a PT with Rock, not to mention making T8 and getting 9th, 14th, and 16th at 4 other large qualifiers. Like I said, it's a metagame deck.

10th looks interesting, if nothing else.

Cait_Sith
06-16-2007, 03:58 PM
- Mother of Runes YES! I love this card.
- Peek I am shocked this hasn't been included in a Core Set already.
- Silver Knight This is a well balanced card and would make WW playable.
- Pithing Needle This card seems too complex to include in a Core Set.
- Mise I doubt they will include it for a functional reprint of it in any set (which is too bad, this is a good card [and broken in Thresh])
- Diabolic Edict Maybe. Its not too strong at all.
- Greater Harvester Black has enough good finishers. I think they try to avoid upkeep effects in Core Set.
- Mutilate Damnation is still legal. Mutilate is just a more complex version ot it.
- Priest of Titania Maybe.
- City of Traitors This is too powerful. Not as bad as Ancient Tomb, but still too strong.

Comments underlined

Mijorre
06-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Goblin tokens:
A random guess at how many boosters it would take for the average belcher ETW would be filled out.

Three boxes?

Pinder
06-18-2007, 08:43 AM
New art's up. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/409)

Guesses? #4 is obviously Howling Mine, but I'm going to have to take another look at the others.

edit: #1 could be Giant Growth.

KillemallCFH
06-18-2007, 09:10 AM
#19 looks like Emperor Crocodile perhaps; maybe Rootwater Alligator. #17 - Dark Banishing? It definately seems like some sort of black removal.

Pale Moon FTW
06-18-2007, 09:13 AM
These seem a lot harder to guess than the last ones. But we now they're D-H because of Howling Mine.
#16 is obviously Firebreathing and #19 is probably Dross Crocodile. #17 is some kind of bounce spell (Echoing Truth?).

Here's from the MTG.com message boards:
1 Grizzly Fate
2 Hill Giant
3 Ghitu Encampment
4 Howling Mine
5 The Hive
6 Faerie Conclave
7 Femeref Archers
8 Harmony of Nature
9 Foul Imp
10 Fireslinger
11 Fugitive Wizard
12 Holy Day
13 Hex
14 Holy Strength
15 Forbidding Watchtower
16 Firebreathing
17 Dark Banishing
18 Enlistment Officer?
19 Dross Crocodile
20 Flowstone Shambler

Nihil Credo
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
The reprinting of manlands seems interesting for Standard. Between those, Urza's Factory, and some Future Sight lands (Keldon Megaliths, Horizon Canopy, Dryad Arbor, Zoetic Caverns, Tolaria West) you could make a control deck where drawing land in the late game isn't a dead draw; although you'd probably have to go mono-colour for that, but with Ravnica rotating out it should be less of a problem.

KillemallCFH
06-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I was thinking Dross Crocodile at first for #19, but I didn't think they'd do it, simply because Dross was a place in Mirroden (Right?), and they don't usually storyline-related cards in core sets, I don't think. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Solpugid
06-18-2007, 08:05 PM
They usually don't use storyline settings, but I'm pretty sure one of those arts is for femeref archers (which I believe references a place). Additionally, they don't usually do black-bordered core sets, 16-card packs with token cards, and legendary reprints. I'm pretty sure a lot of things we'd expect of core sets goes out the window for this one.

TheAardvark
06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
It's probably Skeletal Crocodile. They want us to speculate and get pissed when it turns out to be awful.

16 cards per pack is pretty cute also. But my favorite things so far are the return of Aura of Silence and Steel Golem. I'm going to party like it's 1997 all over again!

C.P.
06-18-2007, 10:24 PM
But my favorite things so far are the return of Aura of Silence and Steel Golem. I'm going to party like it's 1997 all over again!

You already have pretty good blue, to boot. I DEMAND disk and Rainbow bitch.

But then, Phyrexian ironfoot is a billion times better. LOL

Goblin Snowman
06-18-2007, 10:31 PM
The reprinting of manlands seems interesting for Standard. Between those, Urza's Factory, and some Future Sight lands (Keldon Megaliths, Horizon Canopy, Dryad Arbor, Zoetic Caverns, Tolaria West) you could make a control deck where drawing land in the late game isn't a dead draw; although you'd probably have to go mono-colour for that, but with Ravnica rotating out it should be less of a problem.

Treetop Village, Horizon Canopy, Faerie Conclave, Vesuva, Mouth of Ronom, Crucible of Worlds, Life from the Loam, Ghost Quarter, Teramorphic Expanse; there could be a W/G/U Prison build floating around in there.

Lego
06-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Also, what does Intuition being in Hulk lists have to do with what we were discussing? We were discussing Extended. For that matter, Intuition wasn't played in any Hulk decks I saw. In addition, if you don't think that V. Tutor would have been in Hulk if it were not banned...I don't even know what to say.

Sorry to necro the off topic discussion, but I think he was talking about the Extended Hulk deck that played Quirion Dryad and things.

TheAardvark
06-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Sorry to necro the off topic discussion, but I think he was talking about the Extended Hulk deck that played Quirion Dryad and things.

If you (and Doug) mean the original Miracle /Super Gro builds designed by Comer/Rubin, they didn't play Intuition either, since it was 3cc and they ran 10-14 lands.

Otherwise, I have no damn clue what deck he's talking about.

Just saying.

hi-val
06-20-2007, 11:37 PM
I may have typed Hulk when I meant Tog. I sometimes switch things around like that and don't realize it. Another reason why I should proofread posts. I was talking about Extended Tog. They used Intuition there because it turned on DA and AK and was not a card disadvantage tutor. Three mana was a lot easier to hack than one mana and a lost draw with Tog.

I'm pretty sure Gro was invented by Chapin, but I could be wrong... Anyway, Super Gro ran Mystic Enforcer, which was 4cc in any case.

MattH
06-21-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm pretty sure Gro was invented by Chapin, but I could be wrong... Anyway, Super Gro ran Mystic Enforcer, which was 4cc in any case.
But not until it went up to 18ish mana sources, from the 10+4 Land Grants it started with!

Di
06-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Not to take this any further off topic, but Alan Comer invented Gro (or Miracle Gro, as it was named). It was a deck designed to beat Trix back during that Extended season. I played the deck for a long time and did real well with it; it was a beating.

I did manage to find a list of his that was used way back when:

6 Island
4 Tropical Island

4 Merfolk Looter
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Quirion Dryad
3 Gaea's Skyfolk

4 Curiosity
3 Foil
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Gush
4 Brainstorm
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Winter Orb
4 Land Grant

Sideboard:

2 Misdirection
3 Emerald Charm
2 Boomerang
4 Submerge
4 Chill

Yeah this deck was hot.

Nightmare
06-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Emerald Charm! Is there nothing it can't do?

TheAardvark
06-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Yeah, I forgot about Enforcer being in Super Gro. However, even at 4cc, it had a massive impact, whereas Intuition would have done very little in the deck, honestly. Believe me, my buddy and I tested it in Gro for like a month before giving up on it back then.

And Di is right, Gro was first done by Alan Comer at GP: Vegas (I think), and Ben Rubin innovated Super Gro shortly thereafter.

At any rate, all of this is terribly off-topic, especially since none of the cards we're even mentioning as possible for 10th Edition will BE in 10th Edition. To give this post some actual content, here's the current spoiler that has been culled from all gathered information:

White
1. Ancestor's Chosen U
2. Angel of Mercy U
3. Angelic Blessing C
5. Angelic Wall C
6. Aura of Silence U
7. Aven Cloudchaser C
9. Bandage C
10. Beacon of Immortality R
11. Benalish Knight C
12. Cho-Manno, Revolutionary R
13. Condemn U
14. Demystify C
15. Field Marshal R
16. Ghost Warden C
17. Glorious Anthem R
18. Hail of Arrows U
19. Heart of Light C
20. High Ground U
21. Holy Day C
22. Holy Strength C
23. Honor Guard C
24. Icatian Priest U
26. Loxodon Mystic C
27. Loyal Sentry R?
28. Luminesce U
29. Mobilization R
30. Nomad Mythmaker R
31. Pacifism C
32. Paladin en-Vec R
34. Reviving Dose C
35. Reya Dawnbringer R
36. Righteousness R
37. Rule of Law U
38. Samite Healer C
39. Serra Angel R
40. Serra's Embrace U
41. Skyhunter Patrol C
42. Skyhunter Prowler C
43. Skyhunter Skirmisher U
44. Soul Warden U
45. Spirit Link U
46. Spirit Weaver U
47. Starlight Invoker U
48. Steadfast Guard U
49. Story Circle R
50. Suntail Hawk C
51. Tempest of Light U
52. Tundra Wolves C
55. Venerable Monk C
56. Voice of All R
58. Warrior's Honor C
59. Wild Griffin C
60. Windborn Muse R
61. Wrath of God R
62. Youthful Knight C

Blue
63. Academy Researchers U
64. Air Elemental U
66. Arcanis the Omnipotent R
67. Aura Graft U
68. Aven Fisher C
69. Aven Windreader C
70. Boomerang C
71. Cancel C
72. Cephalid Constable R
74. Cloud Elemental C
75. Cloud Sprite C
76. Counsel of the Soratami C
77. Crafty Pathmage C
78. Dehydration C
79. Deluge U
80. Denizen of the Deep R
81. Discombobulate U
82. Dreamborn Muse R
83. Fishliver Oil C
84. Flashfreeze U
86. Fugitive Wizard C
87. Horseshoe Crab C
88. Hurkyl's Recall R
89. Levitation U
91. Lumengrid Warden C
92. Merfolk Looter C
93. Mind Bend R
94. Peek C
95. Persuasion R
96. Phantom Warrior U
98. Puppeteer U
100. Remove Soul C
101. Robe of Mirrors C
102. Rootwater Commando C
104. Sage Owl C
106. Sea Monster C
107. Shimmering Wings C
108. Sift C
109. Sky Weaver U
110. Snapping Drake C
113. Telepathy U
115. Thieving Magpie U
117. Time Stop R
118. Time Stretch R
119. Traumatize R
121. Twitch C
122. Unsummon C

Black
125. Afflict C
127. Ascendant Evincar R
128. Assassinate C
130. Bog Wraith U
131. Consume Spirit U
132. Contaminated Bond C
133. Deathmark U
134. Diabolic Tutor U
136. Distress U
137. Doomed Necromancer R
138. Dross Crocodile C
139. Drudge Skeletons U
140. Dusk Imp C
141. Essence Drain C
142. Fear C
143. Festering Goblin C
144. Grave Pact R
145. Graveborn Muse R
146. Gravedigger C
149. Hidden Horror U
150. Highway Robber C
152. Knight of Dusk U
153. Looming Shade C
154. Lord of the Pit R
156. Mass of Ghouls C
157. Megrim U
158. Midnight Ritual R
159. Mind Rot C
162. Nantuko Husk U
163. Nekrataal U
165. Nightmare R
167. Phyrexian Rager C
168. Plague Beetle C
169. Plague Wind R
171. Ravenous Rats C
172. Recover C
173. Relentless Rats U
174. Royal Assassin R
175. Scathe Zombies C
176. Sengir Vampire R
177. Severed Legion C
179. Soul Feast U
180. Spineless Thug C
181. Stronghold Discipline U
182. Terror C
183. Thrull Surgeon U
185. Unholy Strength C
186. Vampire Bats C

Red
187. Anaba Bodyguard C
188. Arcane Teachings U
189. Beacon of Destruction R
190. Blaze U
191. Bloodfire Colossus R
192. Bloodrock Cyclops C
193. Bogardan Firefiend C
194. Cryoclasm U
196. Demolish C
198. Duct Crawler C
199. Earth Elemental U
200. Firebreathing C
201. Fists of the Anvil C
202. Flamewave Invoker U
206. Goblin Elite Infantry C
207. Goblin King R
208. Goblin Lore U
209. Goblin Piker C
210. Goblin Sky Raider C
211. Guerrilla Tactics U
212. Hill Giant C
213. Incinerate U?
214. Kamahl, Pit Fighter R
215. Lava Axe C
216. Lavaborn Muse R
217. Lightning Elemental C
218. Manabarbs R
219. Mogg Fanatic C?
220. Orcish Artillery U
221. Prodigal Pyromancer C
223. Rage Weaver U
224. Raging Goblin C
225. Relentless Assault R
226. Rock Badger U
229. Shatterstorm U
230. Shivan Dragon R
231. Shivan Hellkite R
232. Shock C
235. Smash C
238. Spitting Earth C
239. Squee, Goblin Nabob R
240. Sudden Impact U
241. Stun C
243. Thundering Giant U
244. Uncontrollable Anger C
245. Viashino Runner C
246. Viashino Sandscout C
247. Wall of Fire U
248. Warp World R

Green
250. Aggressive Urge C
252. Birds of Paradise R
254. Canopy Spider C
255. Civic Wayfinder C
256. Commune with Nature C
257. Craw Wurm C
260. Elvish Berserker C
263. Enormous Baloth U?
264. Femeref Archers U
265. Gaea's Herald R
266. Giant Growth C
267. Giant Spider C
268. Grizzly Bears C
269. Hunted Wumpus U
270. Hurricane R
271. Joiner Adept R
272. Karplusan Strider U
273. Kavu Climber C
274. Llanowar Elves C
275. Llanowar Sentinel C
276. Lure U
277. Might of Oaks R
280. Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer R
281. Natural Spring C
282. Naturalize C
283. Overgrowth C
284. Overrun U
285. Pincher Beetles C
287. Primal Rage U
288. Rampant Growth C
290. Regeneration U
292. Root Maze R
293. Rootwalla C
294. Rushwood Dryad C
295. Scion of the Wild R
296. Seedborn Muse R
297. Skyshroud Ranger C
298. Spined Wurm C
299. Stalking Tiger C
300. Stampeding Wildebeests U
301. Sylvan Basilisk R?
302. Sylvan Scrying U
303. Tangle Spider U
304. Treetop Bracers C
305. Troll Ascetic R
308. Upwelling R
309. Wall of Wood C
310. Yavimaya Enchantress U

Artifact
311. Angel's Feather U
312. Bottle Gnomes U
314. Chromatic Star U
315. Citanul Flute R
316. Coat of Arms R
318. Composite Golem U
319. Crucible of Worlds R
320. Demon's Horn U
321. Dragon's Claw U
322. Doubling Cube R
323. Fountain of Youth U
324. The Hive R
325. Howling Mine R
326. Icy Manipulator U
327. Jayemdae Tome R
328. Juggernaut U
329. Kraken's Eye U
330. Legacy Weapon R
332. Loxodon Warhammer R
335. Mind Stone U
336. Ornithopter U
337. Phyrexian Vault U
339. Platinum Angel R
340. Razormane Masticore R
341. Rod of Ruin U
343. Spellbook
344. Steel Golem U
345. Whispersilk Cloak U
346. Wurm's Tooth

Land
347. Adarkar Wastes R
348. Battlefield Forge R
349. Brushland R
350. Caves of Koilos R
351. Faerie Conclave U
352. Forbidding Watchtower U
353. Ghitu Encampment U
354. Karplusan Forest R
355. Llanowar Wastes R
356. Quicksand U
357. Shivan Reef R
358. Spawning Pool U
359. Sulfurous Springs R
360. Terramorphic Expanse C
361. Treetop Village U
362. Underground River R
363. Yavimaya Coast R
364. Plains
365. Plains
366. Plains
367. Plains
368. Island
369. Island
370. Island
371. Island
372. Swamp
373. Swamp
374. Swamp
375. Swamp
376. Mountain
377. Mountain
378. Mountain
379. Mountain
380. Forest
381. Forest
382. Forest
383. Forest

Tokens
1-Goblin
2-Saproling
3-Zombie
4-Soldier
5-Wasp

I bolded the ones I am most excited about. I can't describe how happy Thrull Surgeon makes me; one of my all time favorite cards. Mind Stone (which has been known for a while) is hot shit too. Oh, and side note: the new Gaea's Herald art is fucking awesome. Too bad it's, you know, Gaea's Herald.

Overall, it looks like a great base set.

Nihil Credo
06-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Heh. I have a deep respect for Gaea's Herald - when I was cutting my teeth as a serious players I used to put it in all of my green decks' sideboards (MUC was powerful in T2). Learning why it wasn't as good hate as it looked was a great lesson.

The same goes for stuff like Coat of Arms and Soul Feast. I like seeing mediocre-to-bad cards that teach you why they are bad simply by playing them and observing how they cause you to lose games. The ones I hate to see reprinted are the "strictly obsolete" stuff - I agree vanilla creatures are useful to introduce players to the game for the very first time, but couldn't they just make a 2B 3/2 instead of reprinting frickin' Scathe Zombies?

Jak
06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I thought Goblin Piledriver was being reprinted. Did you forget it or is it just not in tenth?

TheAardvark
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I thought Goblin Piledriver was being reprinted. Did you forget it or is it just not in tenth?

Turns out everyone was wrong. Piledriver is NOT in 10th Edition.

What really sucks is that either Persecute or Phyrexian Arena (or, theoretically, both) will not be in 10th. I HOPE it's Persecute, but would not be surprised to see the Arena leave us.

Ah well.

hi-val
06-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Soul Feast was the kill in the most brokenest Block deck ever! There's a little bit of fondness I have for that card.

Just a little though.

Solpugid
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
The rumor is that phyrexian arena is out, and being replaced in 10th by graveborne muse. I have no idea about persecute.

TheAardvark
06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, that's why I figure Arena will be the one to get axed. Muse is ok, but being a creature makes it much less playable, not to mention being 1 more to cast.

There is one card alphabetically between Nightmare and Phyrexian Rager; I assume it is Persecute, but maybe they'll throw a curveball there.

Bane of the Living
06-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Hurk's Recall and Shatterstorm are both in tenth but no Ravager? Comon..

TheAardvark
06-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Modular might be a touch too complicated for them to put it in a Core Set.

Might.

xsockmonkeyx
06-22-2007, 08:51 PM
144. Grave Pact R
145. Graveborn Muse R
146. Gravedigger C
147. ???????
148. ???????
149. Hidden Horror U
150. Highway Robber C

Grim Tutor plz.

Bardo
06-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Without arti-lands and Disciple, Ravager's pretty junky.

Grim Tutor plz.

w0rd.

TheAardvark
06-23-2007, 12:27 AM
It would be nice, but I just don't see it happening.

And Persecute is OUT, BTW, for those who care.

Nihil Credo
06-23-2007, 06:14 AM
As a Black mage, Arena and Persecute being out make me sad on one side, but on the other make me hope that not having them in T2 allows Wizards to print some (much-needed) playable variants of them in the next expansions. Kinda like they can safely print a 3cc red land destruction spell since Stone Rain isn't in the format.

Another thing that just came to my mind: maybe this time Arcanis the Omnipotent will actually see some play. It's without question a powerful and resilient finisher, but being printed in the no-countermagic block and having to contend with Psychatog first and with Goblins and Ravager later it never really had a chance to shine. At the very least, it's good for a 1-of in Dralnu.

Bane of the Living
06-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Without arti-lands and Disciple, Ravager's pretty junky.

w0rd.

Guys, I was obviously joking.. Basically this shit was needed in the core set in the days of the evil machines reign. To think they kept these cards away from the core that year because they didnt want people to get screwed if they played all those wonderfull Mirrodin block cards; hah.

Lone Signal
06-23-2007, 11:35 AM
337. Phyrexian Vault U
339. Platinum Angel RWTB Pithing Needle.
A lot of other things have failed me so far (a la Piledriver y Geddon)... don't fail me now~

xsockmonkeyx
06-23-2007, 04:36 PM
149. Hidden Horror U
150. Highway Robber C
151. ???????
152. Knight of Dusk U
153. Looming Shade C

Or Imperial Seal, whatever.

AngryTroll
06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I am looking forward to grabbing a whole bunch of tokens. Goblins for TES, and the Timmy/Johnny/whatever-his-name-is-that's-not-Spike really wants a bunch of Saprolings to work with Verdant Force and Nemata.

And did anyone happen to see the new art for Troll Ascetic? Was it shown?

Lone Signal
06-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Token situation is pretty gross since I believe it's 1:3, with the other 2:3 being "tips and tricks" and other newbie guide stuff. On top of that you still have 1:6 for getting the right token. I mean, shit, what's the Wasp token gonna be used for? At those odds, Goblin token roughly comes 2 per box... It's going to be pretty rough assembling a full storm trooper set with those numbers. And if they actually make foils of those (which I doubt, but they might)... it might be the most valuable pop of the set.

Troll Ascetic art hasn't been shown yet... they might keep the old one, I like it.

EDIT: 6/25 is Bogarden Firefiend (http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/fcpics/features/10e_d11_g8f0z2uf.jpg). It's interesting in a common sort of way, I'll give them that.

PPS: Also, the new art batch: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/410

Pinder
06-25-2007, 12:12 AM
edit: nevermind, Lone Signal beat me to it.

So...

For sure:
14. Story Circle
4. Vampire Bats
10. Wall of Swords (okay, so this hasn't been spoiled, but it's a flying wall made of swords.)

And guesses...
11. Teferi's Puzzle Box?
16. Treetop Village, maybe?
7. Suntail Hawk

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-25-2007, 12:40 AM
The art on 17 looks sick. I'd say living death, but that didn't make the rooster apparently

Happy Gilmore
06-25-2007, 01:35 AM
The art on 17 looks sick. I'd say living death, but that didn't make the rooster apparently

Holy crap! that is the best art I've seen in a long time. Now what the heck is it!

I also find the art for 13 fantastic.

Xero
06-25-2007, 01:47 AM

I'd guess Soul Feast.

I also find the art for 13 fantastic.

That is nice. Upwelling..?

TheAardvark
06-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Pithing Needle has been 100% confirmed for 10th.

Thought you'd like to know.

Oh, and Quirion Dryad. And Abundance. And MORTAL COMBAT~!

As far as the new art posted today at the Mothership (note, many of these are just my guesses, so keep that in mind)...

1. Rootwalla
2. Unholy Strength
3. Wall of Fire
4. Vampire Bats (100% confirmed from previous Arcana)
6. Wild Griffin
7. Suntail Hawk
8. Wall of Wood
9. Sudden Impact
10. Wall of Swords
11. Time Stretch
13. Upwelling
14. Story Circle (100% confirmed from previous Arcana)
16. Treetop Village

The others are too vague for me to get a good read on them. #17 is, as has been said, creepy as Hell.

Nightmare
06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Pithing Needle and Dryad.....

Nice.

With T-Goyf and Mystic Enforcer both in T2 again, it might be time to play Gro.

TheAardvark
06-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Pithing Needle and Dryad.....

Nice.

If Sleight of Hand were in 10th, perhaps. But without that, your playable cantrips are Peek and Telling Time...don't think that's enough.

Extended, on the other hand...

Nihil Credo
06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
In other news, the exchange rate between Saviours of Kamigawa boosters and ounces of dirt has risen to 2:1.

In yet other news, the letter P is making me happy.

Pinder
06-26-2007, 12:24 AM

I was actually thinking the same thing, especially with things like Sleight of Hand and Mystic Speculation running around. I imagine that lategame with a multiple bought-back mystic speculation, a Dryad could get pretty freaking huge.

edit: On that same note, Whispers of the Muse is also Standard legal.

edit more: Sleight of Hand isn't in tenth? Awww......

I'm an editing machine: Also, Perilous Research could be worth looking at for a Predict-ish thing. The sac part could be leveraged into keeping Goyf big by saccing specific peramanents.

editpalooza: There's also Careful Consideration. Use it during your main phase for CA, or at the end of your opponent's turn for Thresh/Gofy hugeness.

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Lets not forget Think Twice...

Nydaeli
06-26-2007, 03:12 AM
Is there anything in Standard that will let you take advantage of Peek at all? There's no Meddling Mage, no Cabal Therapy. I guess it makes Brain Pry sort of decent.

You could run a cantrip base like: 4 Peek, 4 Street Wraith, 4 Whispers of the Muse, 4 Telling Time. God, that's awful. I think that's why we play Legacy, so we can play good cards.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-26-2007, 04:23 AM
Note that you actually have to have Pithing Needle targets for Pithing Needle not to suck, and Standard does not have such at the moment. Now if they reprint Umezawa's Jitte...

Unlikely.

Cait_Sith
06-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Note that you actually have to have Pithing Needle targets for Pithing Needle not to suck, and Standard does not have such at the moment. Now if they reprint Umezawa's Jitte...

Unlikely.

Actually, since Standard in COVERED in Control, you can just Needle Fader's Roxodon Heirarchy's, and Crank Boom's wincons.

TheAardvark
06-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Unlikely.

Saffi Eriksdotter, Urza's Factory, Loxodon Warhammer, Horizon Canopy, Dimir House Guard, Korlash, Magus of the Scroll, Greater Gargadon, Rusalkas, Tormod's Crypt, Ghost Council of Orzhova, Crovax, Withered Wretch, Martyrs, Svogthos, Llanowar Mentor, Greenseeker, Magus of the Bazaar, Ghost Quarter, Dreadship Reef (and the rest of the storage lands), Skeletal Vampire, Glare of Subdual, Vitu-Ghazi, Phyrexian Totem, Firemane Angel, Scryb Ranger, Sacred Mesa...

There are others, but that's a pretty good sampling. In addition, there are other cards in 10th Edition that Needle will hit: Merfolk Looter, Siege-Gang Commander, Troll Ascetic, man lands, and the like.

There are a lot of targets for Needle. Are there as many as in other formats? Of course not, but I believe there are a greater number of relevant targets now than there were when Needle left T2.

Back on topic, I am sad to see that there is apparently no slot for Disrupting Scepter in 10th. I have been playing a deck for a while now that utilizes maindeck Scepters to fight other control decks, and now I'll apparently be forced to use Muse Vessel. Blah.

TheAardvark
06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, despite the fact that Goblin Piledriver does not fit in the number crunch Salvation has, it is IN 10th Edition, according to French magazine Lotus Noir. No scans have yet to confirm this, but it seems like a good chance that Piledriver is IN.

Lone Signal
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I ordered half a case for drafting.
Piledriver? Needle? Maybe I should go for the entire case.

EDIT: 100th post!!!!11

TheAardvark
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Spoiler is complete. No Piledriver.

Click it or lick it (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=77078).

Lone Signal
06-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, bummer about the driver. I'll accept the Hyppie as trade though.
Decent looking base set, in my opinion.

umbowta
06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah. Decent for sure. I'll probably be ordering a case.

Hummingbird TG
06-30-2007, 11:56 AM
W00t. I'd want 4 10th edition foil Hyppies, especially if they've flavor text.

Cait_Sith
06-30-2007, 02:45 PM
I am tempted to buy 3 Starter Denizen of the Deep for MUC-ish Wincons after Rav rotates out.

Tacosnape
06-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I am tempted to buy 3 Starter Denizen of the Deep for MUC-ish Wincons after Rav rotates out.

QFT. Denizen is the most underrated Mega-Blue threat ever.

Barook
06-30-2007, 03:00 PM
QFT. Denizen is the most underrated Mega-Blue threat ever.

Last time i checked, a win condition which costs loads of mana isn't a win condition if it can be chump-blocked until the end of time.

Cait_Sith
06-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Last time i checked, a win condition which costs loads of mana isn't a win condition if it can be chump-blocked until the end of time.

This is standard, not Legacy. An 11/11 in blue will easily go through, even without evasion. Also, 8 isn't terribly a lot in Blue Control and only Black has answers to it, only one of them useful (Cruel Edict). (Technically you could use WoG/Damnation, but those would get readily countered.)

I think its viable.

Nihil Credo
06-30-2007, 03:58 PM
You have Aeon Chronicler in the format and you seriously mean to play Denizen of the Deep? That is the most stupid thing I've heard in the last four hours.

Bane of the Living
06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Narcobridge will get so good when it can use Dilerium Skeins and Squee. Pithing Needle to stop Tormods Crypt and Withered Wretch.

Fader will love Diabolic Tutor. I cant wait to tutor my one of Phage ftw.

Oh and holy shit to Siesmic Assault teaming up with LftL till October.

Drudge Skeletons are uncommon...

Cait_Sith
06-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Narcobridge will get so good when it can use Dilerium Skeins and Squee. Pithing Needle to stop Tormods Crypt and Withered Wretch.

Fader will love Diabolic Tutor. I cant wait to tutor my one of Phage ftw.

Oh and holy shit to Siesmic Assault teaming up with LftL till October.

Drudge Skeletons are uncommon...

1) Its called Narcolepsy. And come October its going to be the worst deck in the format. Until then... wow.

2) Doesn't Fader already have Diabolic Tutor? I could have sworn it was in 9th.

3) I am feeling some sort of LtfL/Squeebind deck.

4) It is because of regenerate.

Bane of the Living
06-30-2007, 04:52 PM
2) Doesn't Fader already have Diabolic Tutor? I could have sworn it was in 9th.

No, hence the use of the shit ass Dimir House Guard who's only been tutoring for black cards that cost 4.

Cait_Sith
06-30-2007, 04:56 PM
No, hence the use of the shit ass Dimir House Guard who's only been tutoring for black cards that cost 4.

I never used either in Fader... then again I play Turbo Fog a lot. WHY DIDN'T THEY GIVE US RECLAIM BACK! WHYYYYY!

Nihil Credo
06-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Diabolic Tutor is in 9th and is pure shit compared to Dimir House Guard.

DHG fetches everything you may want to fetch in Black-based control, can't be countered, and provides a 2/3 evasive body in a pinch. But mostly it does so for one mana less. There is a world of difference between Turn 3 tutor up WoG/Damnation - Turn 4 clean the board and doing the same thing one turn later.

Happy Gilmore
07-01-2007, 12:34 AM
no Piledriver, BUT!!!

SGC- Wow, talk about amazing
Pithing Needle- :laugh:
Quirion Dryad- :laugh:

Pinder
07-02-2007, 05:47 PM
New art batch up (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/411). Looks like it has Squee, Reya, Rod of Ruin, and (I hope) Quirion Dryad, so it looks like we're in Q-S territory.
Lessee:

1. ????
2. Reya Dawnbringer
3. Rampant Growth
4. ????
5. Rootwater Thief (?)
6. Actually, maybe this one is Reya? I dunno.
7. ????
8. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
9. ????
10. ????
11. ????
12. ????
13. Shock
14. ????
15. Rod of Ruin
16. Quirion Dryad (I hope, this art is freaking sweet)
17. Pacifism (maybe?)
18. Shivan Dragon (?)

I'll doublecheck my guesses against the spoiler in a bit.

edit: Ooh! Maybe they're both Reya, one promo, one not....

Nihil Credo
07-02-2007, 06:59 PM
The new Terror art is awesome, although I hoped it was for Time Warp. (Walk the Aeons is my favourite Time Spiral piece...)

Pinder
07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
From the wizards forums:

1. Spawning Pool
2. Reya Dawnbringer
3. Rampant Growth
4. Soulblast
5. Rootwater Matriarch
6. Serra's Embrace
7. Shatterstorm
8. Squee, Goblin Nabob
9. Recover
10. Steadfast Guard
11. Sea Monster
12. Reminisce
13. Shock
14. Skyshroud Ranger
15. Rod of Ruin
16. Quirion Dryad
17. Regeneration
18. Shivan Dragon

ForceofWill
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh man I really wanted #6 to be Reya. Oh well I guess I'll just have to pick up a foil playset of serra's embrace just to look at.

C.P.
07-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Boo to the new Reya. It looks a lot worse than the old one.:rolleyes:

Nihil Credo
07-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Perhaps, but the flavour text rocks. The more White gets away from the "goody-two-shoes" stereotype, the better.

What really sucks is the new Shivan Dragon (#16, assuming that's it). Literally everything in that picture is wrong - the colour tones, the comparative sizes, the dragon's proportions, the perspective...

Pinder
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
New batch of art is up. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/412) Looks like it has Bloodshot Cyclops, Diabolic Tutor, and Citanul Flute in there, so we're in A-D territory.

Rather than post guesses, I'll just post what the WotC Board says:

1. Diabolic Tutor
2. Benalish Knight
3. Anaba Bodyguard
4. Commune with Nature
5. Bloodrock Cyclops
6. Air Elemental
7. Dragon Roost
8. Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
9. Bog Wraith
10. Colossus of Sardia
11. Angelic Wall
12. Angelic Blessing
13. Cloud Elemental
14. Cone of Flame
15. Ambassador Laquatus
16. Denizen of the Deep
17. Cruel Edict
18. Arcane Teachings
19. Citanul Flute

Pinder
07-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Double Post for bumpness.

So, Tenth Edition Foils don't have reminder text (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/1374).

Just look at that Time Stop. So. Sexy. I think that this and the black borders are a fantastic idea, and I hope they do the non-reminder foils from here on out in the core sets, because it's just that awesome.

Nihil Credo
07-12-2007, 04:19 AM
Textless Time Stop is the only thing that could be sexier. Scott Fischer just gets more awesome in textless.