PDA

View Full Version : Mox Pearl Tourney in Flint, MI

cupajoe
06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Where: Adventurer's Guildhouse
G-3314 Corunna Rd. Suite B
Flint, MI 48532

What: Legacy Tournament with MOX PEARL as 1st place prize

When: Sat. July 28, 11am (registration begins at 9:30am).

Details: Preregister in advance for $20 or register the day of for $25. Rounds will be Swiss format with a cut to top 8. Top 8 finishers (at least) will recieve prize, with 1st place getting an unlimited MOX PEARL. Questions? Feel free to call us at 810-232-0299. Seating is limited, so register today!!!

I probably won't be going because it looks like that's the week we'll be out of town, but this is the first big Legacy tourney in Flint since last September....The one in Sept got a pretty good turnout (30+)

dre4m
06-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I will go to this if anyone else in or around downriver will give me a ride up there, because I am not going to burn the $70 in gas it will take me to get to Flint and back.

Kilz88
06-14-2007, 10:49 PM
The one in Sept got a pretty good turnout (30+)

Well keep in mind that the tournament you are refering to was for a lotus and was the same entry fee as this one :rolleyes: I mean, I am still attending, but I am not happy about the cost of entry...

umbowta
06-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I will go to this if anyone else in or around downriver will give me a ride up there, because I am not going to burn the $70 in gas it will take me to get to Flint and back.
You could meet me at my house, which is only about 5-10 min. away from Pande, and ride out with me. You'll just have to be willing to downgrade from a drop top Mustang to a minivan.

dre4m
06-15-2007, 01:46 PM
You could meet me at my house, which is only about 5-10 min. away from Pande, and ride out with me. You'll just have to be willing to downgrade from a drop top Mustang to a minivan.

Actually it's a hardtop, but I'm sure you'll be getting better gas mileage. I'll look into it!

cupajoe
06-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, I know it's not a Lotus, and I know the info I posted does not have prize breakdown, but this store has a great reputation for deep and good prize payouts.....

I'll try to get a prize breakdown for you....

Caboose
06-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Like I mentioned on TMD, if you lower the entry fee some, you would get a slew of people from Columbus. I wish we could make it, as I love playing in the same venue as Mr. Paul Nicolo/the rest of the RIW/Pandy crowd, but it doesn't seem plausible. Anyways, PM me if you're going to hold any more Lotus events.

umbowta
06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Caboose, why does it matter anyway? If its a Lotus or a Mox you'll still lose. So stay in Colombus with the rest of the buckeyes and don't try to make excuses about entry fees. Honestly, if you thought you had a shot to win, you'd make the trip.

DUDE!!!!! I got an idea! IF you come up to Flint for the Mox tourney, I will personally pay your entry fee. Here's the catch...If you fail to top 8, I get video tape you gettin an ass whoopin with a big ass UofM paddle...one smack for each place under top 8. That means if you place 12th, you get 4 ass whoopins. Umbowta whoop yo ass.

Kilz88
06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Wow...just wow. Well we are still planning on going...I think we might be successful...?

Caboose
06-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Caboose, why does it matter anyway? If its a Lotus or a Mox you'll still lose. So stay in Colombus with the rest of the buckeyes and don't try to make excuses about entry fees. Honestly, if you thought you had a shot to win, you'd make the trip.

DUDE!!!!! I got an idea! IF you come up to Flint for the Mox tourney, I will personally pay your entry fee. Here's the catch...If you fail to top 8, I get video tape you gettin an ass whoopin with a big ass UofM paddle...one smack for each place under top 8. That means if you place 12th, you get 4 ass whoopins. Umbowta whoop yo ass.

With the exception of the GP, and one GPT (I came in 9th due to tiebreakers), I have Top 8'd every Legacy tournament I've ever played in over the past year. I accept your challenge, and I will even sing Hail to the Victors if I get paddled.

umbowta
06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I accept your challenge, and I will even sing Hail to the Victors if I get paddled.WOOT!

Caboose
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
WOOT!

This might actually be a selling point for the tournament.

"Witness Umbowta engage is pseudo-homosexual acts with Caboose!"

umbowta
06-20-2007, 02:24 PM
LOL! I didn't think of it that way...especially since my wife will be the one with the video camera. I just can't wait to have a video of an Ohio State fan getting his ass paddled by a UofM paddle, while singing Hail To The Victors, posted up on You Tube.

Caboose
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
posted up on You Tube.

I never agreed to this :rolleyes:

dre4m
06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I never agreed to this :rolleyes:

You agreed to the video capture, that is enough.

Kilz88
06-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Do we have a prize breakdown yet?

cupajoe
06-28-2007, 07:52 AM
A rough estimate for prize payouts (assuming a turnout of around 20)

is $50 in store credit for second place

$25 for third and fourth

If 24 or more show up, there will be prizes for 5-8

The bigger the turnout the better the prizes will be....

Don't forget to pre-register to get $5 off your entry fee

Caboose
06-28-2007, 08:20 AM

$25 for third and fourth

Fairly weak prize support for anyone who doesn't score the Mox. I would like this fixed.

umbowta
06-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Joe, how many players does the store have room for? The "seating is limited" bullshit is cause for concern. People are going to want to be sure that if they make the drive there will be a place for them.

If your answer is "just pre register" I don't want to hear it unless there will be refunds if someone prepaid but can't make it. Shit happens in this world.

cupajoe
06-30-2007, 12:44 PM
OK, I'm not the store owner, so remember that

As far as I know, they can comfortably fit 32, and I'm sure they could fit a few more if need be into the store itself.....From what I understand, if they absolutely had to, they could use some nearby space in the strip mall, but don't hold me to that

The odds of them attracting 32 or more aren't very likely considering there was less than 40 (if I remember right) at the Lotus tourney in the fall

As for Caboose's post, this gets back to fundamental beliefs....Do you have a "big prize" like a Mox or a Lotus, or do you have more egalitarian payouts?

I have always been in favor of spreading the money around more, but when this topic came up in the forums one time, I was shouted down by most of the people saying you have to offer a "big prize" to attract people

It probably has a lot to do with marketing....Would less people play the lottery if there weren't the "big prize" but lots of $100,000 prizes....I'm guessing if it were structured like that, less people would play the lottery....

I still think it's going to be a really nice tourney

Caboose
07-01-2007, 12:36 AM
32 people x $25 fee = $800
Mox Pearl + $100 store credit (all the prizes combined) = $350-$400 (depending on the Pearl's condition)

So with 32 people, you guys are raking between $400 and $450 profit. That's like Haliburton-style greed.

umbowta
07-01-2007, 10:22 AM

$25 for third and fourth

Ummmmm, Caboose, reading is hot tech. The prizes at 20 people are Mox, $50, $25, $25. That's about $400 in prizes for $400-500 in entry fees. That is totally fair...so stop being a curmudgeon or I will come down to Ohio with the paddle.

Caboose
07-01-2007, 10:26 AM
The last time I went to Michigan, the 5-8 prizes were like a draft set each. It's pretty much nothing. I read teh thread. But I don't trust the "prizes will be better with more people" thing.

cupajoe
07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Also, don't forget that if you pre-register, the entry fee is $20, not $25.....So I'm guessing most people who play in it will be pre-registering, lowering the store's take even more....

I think this falls into the "you can't please everybody, especially Caboose" category

Caboose
07-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Also, don't forget that if you pre-register, the entry fee is $20, not $25.....So I'm guessing most people who play in it will be pre-registering, lowering the store's take even more....

I think this falls into the "you can't please everybody, especially Caboose" category

Oh, I'm easy to please. In fact, Umbowta is paying for my entry, so you might as well charge $50 a pop. But I do hate stores that want to fuck players for profit. If you wanted to open a game shop to make a fortune, you're going to be disappointed. If you wanted to open a game shop to make a comfortable living while providing a great atmosphere for gaming, then you're a fucking baller, shot caller, 20 inch blades on the Impala...etc.

umbowta
07-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Joe, what's the deadline for Pre-reg?

Caboose,

1. STFU and stop trying to ruin a tournament just so you can have a better chance at making top eight.
2. PM me with your name and DCI number so I can pre-reg you.

I'll be contacting the Pande crew, as well as the RIW guys to get the names of the folks riding up with me. I'm looking forward to getting my second Mox Pearl.

Liek
07-19-2007, 01:51 AM
How do I preregister?

Kilz88
07-19-2007, 05:42 PM
How do I preregister?

The only way we know of is to drive all the way frikken out there and pay them...We were gonna do it when we were there a few weeks ago for the other legacy tournament (that no one showed up for) but we didnt have the extra cash. We are just planning on going rather early on saturday...:rolleyes: ?

cupajoe
07-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I'll find out more details about pre-registering....I'll let you know ASAP

umbowta
07-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Here's what I got from Mike and Lou...
Paypal email to use is gildhaus@comcast.net this is a newly added
address so
if you have any problems use gildhaus@tir.com and include your name and
dci
number so we know what its for. I will send out confirmation emails on
receipt.

The only way we know of is to drive all the way frikken out there and pay them...
Kilz, you should really try using the phone once in a while. There's a number to call on the initial post. They can prolly take credit over the phone in addition to the paypal option.

cupajoe
07-21-2007, 12:25 PM
As long as you pay at least a day in advance, you're good for the pre-register price

Umbowta is right, you can do paypal, or you could call the business and pay by credit

Their number is (810) 232-0299

If you need them to wipe for you, you're out of luck. You have to do that yourself :)

Caboose
07-24-2007, 04:33 AM
I need directions to the shop. Mapquest told me that I could start by running to the room of the three Gargoyles. Push in the right tongue and a door might lead me down a staircase into the wall climb. Here, I must choose my next path; I could race up to the observatory, spin the sundial, and pass into the room of The Golden Idols. Once there, push down on their bases to release the doors that may take me below or lead me into the shrine of The Silver Monkey. Assemble the statue there and I may be headed for the torch room. If the elevator is up, I could jump into the elevator and descend into The Mine Shaft. I might climb up the ladder or plow through the stone wall. Find the key and it may unlock The Tombs of the Ancient Kings, allowing me to climb into The Spiders Lair. If I escape I may have a chance to sit upon The Throne of the Pretender. If the correct door is unlocked I may be able to crawl into The Pit of Despair and finally make my way through The Cave of Size, back to the Temple gate. The choices are mine and mine alone, good luck.

emidln
07-24-2007, 08:57 AM
I need directions to the shop. Mapquest told me that I could start by running to the room of the three Gargoyles. Push in the right tongue and a door might lead me down a staircase into the wall climb. Here, I must choose my next path; I could race up to the observatory, spin the sundial, and pass into the room of The Golden Idols. Once there, push down on their bases to release the doors that may take me below or lead me into the shrine of The Silver Monkey. Assemble the statue there and I may be headed for the torch room. If the elevator is up, I could jump into the elevator and descend into The Mine Shaft. I might climb up the ladder or plow through the stone wall. Find the key and it may unlock The Tombs of the Ancient Kings, allowing me to climb into The Spiders Lair. If I escape I may have a chance to sit upon The Throne of the Pretender. If the correct door is unlocked I may be able to crawl into The Pit of Despair and finally make my way through The Cave of Size, back to the Temple gate. The choices are mine and mine alone, good luck.

Are you coming up 23 or 75? If you come up 75 to Flint, stay on 75 until you get to the Corunna Rd exit (118 I think, but I could be wrong). The off ramp is a tight turn and you'll come up at a stop light with a large factory in front of you. Go left and then immediately turn left into the Kroger parking lot. It's in the middle of the strip mall, but near the end of the actual businesses. There are stacks of empty MTG boxes in the window and some signage.

If you continue down the road you'll see a ton of pawn shops and shit. If you start seeing ghetto, you've gone too far.

If you come up 23, follow 23 until you hit 75 North. Continue following 75 until you get to the Corunna Rd exit, then follow the directions from above.

/former resident of the area

emidln
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
While I couldn't make it, I did call up my friend Mike at the store for results. This is what he gave me:

25 people showed up and they gave away the Pearl. Possible Emerald tourney in mid September due to nice turnout.

Jason Gerky (spelling?) won with UGW Thresh
Carl Lauer (spelling?) took second with TES

Others in the top8:
Faerie Stompy
UGR Gro
WBU Fishlike Goodstuff (Withered Wretch, Meddling Mage, Dark Confidant, Silver Knight)
Life.dec

In the field
1-2 Goblins
2 Solidarity
Lots of Thresh/Gro (15)

Congrats to the those in the top8!

Isamaru
07-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I lost to Faerie Stompy (Eric Blegen) and Gro (Paul Nicolo), and tied with Caboose because we were lulling too much to finish our match. I came in 13th (Vile Horror (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=47196)), MultaniMan in 15th (Angel Stompy).

The good news was that, unlike almost every Legacy tournament I've been to, the players were VERY friendly. There was joking, and nobody was rude (though Nicolo got angry when I won a game.) Everyone was in good spirits, and Caboose was there to conjure up the lulz. ;)

Props to Paul Kim and a few others who were friendly - I finally enjoyed myself and felt like I was in good company, instead of feeling like nobody there even cared about the format (cough GP Columbus cough).

There were so many Threshold/Gro decks there that, out of the 8 tables they had, I walked past the first 6 tables for our Legacy tournament, then passed the last 2 tables where people were playing Standard... and went from Tarmogoyf to Tarmogoyf.

Kilz88
07-28-2007, 11:58 PM
The 2 missing decks from that report were mine, BWG Brew, and a RBW Boros-like deck. Overall great tourny looking foreward to the future ones.

Caboose
07-29-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm just glad that I spent so little yesterday.

Breakfast - $2 (Sausage Egg McMuffin)
Tournament - Free (Thanks Umbowta)
Soda - $0.50 (Should have been $1 but thanks Umbowta!)
Foil Complicate - $2 (For my Harem deck. It's cute!)
Dinner - Free (My teammate won the Mana Drain side event, and paid for the rest of our team's dinner to celebrate)
Gas - $10 (Going up with friends in someone else's car = tech)

So I only spent $14.50 for the whole experience. I absolutely punted the match in Round 4, and then in Round 5 Umbowta was considering scooping me in but instead didn't so his friend could top 8. I was really upset at the time, but Umbowta is still a first class pimp. Besides, he paid for my entry fee and traded me a foil Tarmogoyf. Thumbs up!

Looking forward to going to the one in September!