PDA

View Full Version : Jotun Grunt Questions

Angelfire
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a few questions in regard to how Jotun Grunt's cumulative upkeep works. My last MWS opponent made me want to be sure about how he works.

1.) I have Jotun Grunt in play and 6 cards in my graveyard, my opponent has Psychatog and 2 Cards in the yard. If Jotun's ability triggers and the Psychatog player doesn't respond, once I choose his 2 cards he can't do anything correct?

2.) Same thing except Pyschatog is Tormod's Crypt. Jotun triggers, no response, once I choose cards opponent can't respond w/ crypt?

3.) Jotun Triggers and my opponent stifles it. My opponent claims he dies, I say he lives.

sammiel
06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
You are correct with number 3.

If your opponent stifles the upkeep trigger, you don't have to pay for it.

Cait_Sith
06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
1) Yes. There is only a single trigger on the stack, so once that starts resolving he can do nothing.

2) Same as above.

3) Stifle stops the entire trigger, both the adding of the counter and the paying of the cost. The "do this or die" part of the trigger just gives you a choice how you pay the upkeep. You may choose to refuse to pay the cost (that is what is meant by the "or") Since you never got the option to pay or not pay because of Stifle, it is impossible for you to choose to not pay.

In short: he was very wrong.

Adan
06-20-2007, 03:20 PM
1) Yes. There is only a single trigger on the stack, so once that starts resolving he can do nothing.

2) Same as above.

3) Stifle stops the entire trigger, both the adding of the counter and the paying of the cost. The "do this or die" part of the trigger just gives you a choice how you pay the upkeep. You may choose to refuse to pay the cost (that is what is meant by the "or") Since you never got the option to pay or not pay because of Stifle, it is impossible for you to choose to not pay.

In short: he was very wrong.

To be more precise with the first 2 points:

In those 2 case, your opponent passed his priority. So he missed the opportunity to do something in response to Jotun Grunt.

@3) . Are you sure that it stops the ENTIRE tigger? It would be useful in the next Vintage Tournament if it's true, hehe...

Van Phanel
06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
@3) . Are you sure that it stops the ENTIRE tigger? It would be useful in the next Vintage Tournament if it's true, hehe...

It does. Stifling Cumulative Upkeep prevents the addition of a counter and also you do not have to pay. Still the Grunt survives.

Cumulative Upkeep reads:

"At the beginning of your upkeep put an age counter on ~this~, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each counter on it."

This is a single ability therefore a single Stifle stops it dead (for one turn).