PDA

View Full Version : Top 8 at the Monster Den - Eleanor Put Your Boots Back On

Citrus-God
06-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Staying up until 4 am listening to shitty New Wave music sucks... better yet, most of the music I listened to was Blondie. But that shouldnt matter, I was deciding for decks, and having tested for two days, I decided to go back to the White Thresh and yet, I havent crashed into Vial Goblins that day. I didnt play Red because I didnt get the 4th Volcanic Island. Things like that happtn I guess.

The few days before, I spent my time testing and hanging out with friends. The last two days before this tourney were reallying important to me. A friend of mine named Alec Moss from Philadalphia came by to say hi for a week or two. Yes, he's only human. He's just really good at being a bastard, and is horny as fuck. He's an alright guy if women arent involved, nevertheless. Like 3 other people slept over at Alec's house (Alec Nordin my teammate, mind you). We pulled an all-nighter and hungout and crap. Like real friends. Alec Moss said he's leaving on Tuesday, so I guess it's gonna be alright for now. He usually comes back every 4-6 months, so I hope he comes back soon.

So I woke up at 11:10, and I figured I have to walk there since Alec cant pick me up. So I took the lightrail and went to the Monster Den. I thought I was gonna be late, but thank god, I arrived in time and signed up.

I met up with Luke, Theo, Lenny, and Stu there. I talked to them what I should play, and I kinda defaultly chose Threshold. Now here's the list yall.

// 99 Red Balloons
// Lands 17
3 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tundra
3 Tropical Island
1 Forest
2 Island

// Creatures 10
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Nimble Mongoose
2 Mystic Enforcer

// Spells 33
4 Brainstorm
4 Portent
2 Serum Visions
4 Predict
3 Daze
3 Counterspell
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Pithing Needle

// Sideboard 15
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Counterbalance
3 Naturalize
3 Engineered Explosives
4 Chill

Pairings came up later, and here it is.

Round 1: Lenny Thao, w/ 4c BHWW Landstill

Lenny is a great guy. Although he says Tarmogoyf and Counterbalance sucks, I decided to convince him the greatness of those two cards. Today, I was suprised we wasn't playing WUb Fish (Or EBA for that matter). Instead, I get something worse to play against. I was hoping it was gonna be Fish, but whatever. If you dont remember who Lenny Thao is, he's the guy who always does well with WUb Fish.

Game 1:

I got my early lands hit by a couple Wastelands, and I had a mana shortage for a couple turns. That bought him enough time to bait some stuff out to resolve his Crucibles. I countered the first one, but then a 2nd Crucible came and wrecked my board.

Game 2:

I dont remember much. I kept a bad hand, fetch out basics early, and then, voila, I got Counterbalance set-up. I won that game with a Goyf and a Goose.

Game 3:

He got some Monasteries with Threshold midgame, but a single Tarmogoyf held his entire army back. I lashed back later with Counterbalance and a Mystic Enforcer to fly over he's board of scary man lands.

Round 2: Some guy with UGr Threshold

Game 1:

I beat him down with Goyfs... which are better than Werebears.

Game 2:

He played a Mental Note, and I resolved 2 Goyfs. I won with 4 cards in grave.

Alec Nordin, my teammate later arrived, but wasnt able to play. So we hungout, and he watched my matches.

Round 3: Enchantress

Game 1:

I lost because he Combo'ed off with Ledgewalker equiped with Rancors, and Ancestral Masks.

Game 2:

EE was amazing. I won with Tarmogoyfs.

Game 3:

Read above.

Round 4: Eric Olson with UGw Mental Note Thresh

Game 1:

We got into an attrition war. He doesnt run Tarmogoyfs, so when he plays against me, he calls Tarmogoyfs with multiple Mages and I had a hard time recovering.

Game 2:

Read above.

It felt like badluck on my part, so I walked over to the front counter and bought another box of Dragon Shields, now, it's pink! I was later made fun of my Stu for being gay since I stayed up till 4 am listening to Blondie and getting pink sleeves while he helped me sleeve. Then again, it was reasonable. I made a statement that it looked like bubble gum.

Round 5: IDed into Top 8

Top 8 Match: Eric Olson... again

Read Games 1 and 2 above.

Game 2 was a bit more epic, and was a very close game. Yes, he topdecks Enforcer like crazy and always gets the right cards at the right times.

I got my two packs and later, Alec's mom picked us up to go over to his place.

Being dissapointed, I spent the rest of the day with Alec and the kids at Prospect Park. We played a lot of SSMBM. It was an alright day altogether. I wish I could've won or got Top 4 at the least. Oh wells.

Props:

Stu for the Goyfs.

Alec for being cool.

Alec Moss for being a douche and a good guy at the same time.

Tavia for being away for the summer. She's an awesome friend, and is basically the one reason why I would hate summer.

Pink Dragon Shields for looking cool.

Blondie for keeping me up at 4 am... not her shitty 70's crap, her New Wave stuff is awesome.

Jesse Hatfield for the help... always.

Slops:

The Swart bros. for not coming.

Stu for taking the mega hangover route; weed and alcohol....

My deck for not outlucking other decks.

beezy
06-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice short report :laugh:
who ended up winning ?

Citrus-God
06-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Nice short report :laugh:
who ended up winning ?

Top 2 between UGw Threshold v.s. Aluren.

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Just because I don't want to start a new thread, I'll do my write up here.

This tournament begins how any should, with a night of bowl smoking and plenty of gin and lemon sours. I recently built funkbrew, and expecting a decent amount of thresh to show up, I decided to play it. After a few last second changes, here's the list:

3 Windswept Heath
3 Bloodstained Mire
4 Bayou
4 Scrubland
2 Savannah
2 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Plains
2 Nantuko Monestary

4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Spectral Lynx
3 River Boa

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Pernicious Deed
2 Darkblast
1 Engineered Explosives
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Umezawa's Jitte

SB:
4 Cabal Theropy
4 Engineered Plague
3 Krosan Grip
2 Loaming Shaman
2 Tormod's Crypt

The SB wasn't too optimal, so yeah.

R1: B/U/w Stax control?

G1: After my opponent asked what I was doing after I cracked a Bloodstained Mire in the first turn, I guessed correctly he hadn't played magic in a while. Second and third turn Hymns into a fourth turn 5/6 'Goyf wrapped this one up.

G2: We enter lock down after he powers out 2 Tradewind Riders off 2 Priest of Gix and I've got Bob, a Boa, a kitty and Tarmogoyf. I mise a deed of the top with 7 land out, swing, he bounces the 'goyf, I deed for 4 whiping the board. I pull a boa next turn and he and the 'goyf go yard.

R2: Mono-greeen Enchantress

G1: After a second turn Ancestrial Mask onto his Birds, I get a little suspicous. He's plays a lot of 1cc land enhancers, Exploration, Elephant Grass, that sort of stuff. The turn before I'm going to kill him with a jitted Lynx, he drops 2 ancestrial masks on a Silhana Ledgewalker, berserks, swings for 60+. Ouch.

G2: He gets out an early yavimaya enchantress w/ ancestrial mask, but I've got a river boa to block. The next turn I rip deed, play it with one open. He kind of "Awwww shits," with only one card in hand, but proceedes to pull Seal of Primordium. @%(@#!(*&TY#*@!&G. After a Second Enchantress and ancestrial mask I die to the tune of 24 damage a turn.

It must be said I never saw 1 duress this whole match up, and only hymned once.

R3: Mono-black Weenie

G1: He beats me down with Bob, Nantuko shades and jittes. Cute.

G2: Starts out with 2 Order of the Ebon Hand for him, I block with a second turn 2/3 'Goyf, we trade, and then I get my own Jitte and kill him, the details are a bit foggy.

G3: He has a slow start, I think I swordsed a second turn Bob. He has a E. Plague on snakes to kill my boa, then I fire back with a Plague on Knights (should have been zombies to hit his shades too) to kill his Stromgald Crusader. I drop a Bob and 'goyf to win it.

R4: Goblins with green splash

G1: He wins the die roll. First turn Lackey. I play a fetch, pass the turn. He swings (missed land drop), I Darkblast. I dredge, and play a 3/4 Tarmogoyf. He misses his lands for a turn or two and that's all she wrote.

G2: I mull down to five on this one, and I'm expecting an early death. I play a second turn Lynx, he then plays EE on two, and passes the turn. So far all he has out is a Vial and the EE, so I think he had a bad hand. I sneak 2 in (he only had 1 after the EE) and end my turn. He doesn't wait, and blows the Explosives. I play Bob and Jitte, and pass. He plays another EE at 2, but misses his land drop so he can't blow it yet. I pull my own Explosives, drop it at 0 and nuke his. XD. I proceede to win after mulling to 5. Hot damn!

R5: Aluren

Before we start, we discuss the posibility of IDing into top 8, as 4-1 makes the cut. We are told it could happen, but because we're in 9th and 10th place going in we might not make it so we decide to play it out.

G1: I first turn Duress out an Aluren, but he combos out by turn 4-5 as I fail to find any more discard.

G2: I keep a hand with a Theropy and a Hymn, and he muls. I theropy naming Aluren, and he shows 4 land, a Raven and a Man-o-war. I duress tow turns later, but still land. I eventually get out a jitte and Spectral Lynx, but he combos out after chaining some Brain Storms.

Props:
Funkbrew for being a cool deck
Everyone I traded with for the good deals
Monster Den/Dreamers for fantastic and reliable prize support
Melvin, so I could hang out with someone while I was there
My Parents, who left for the week so I could house-sit

Slops:
Everyone who had to work saturday
Discard, for not showing up in the Enchantress match up
Minneapolis, for having confusing roads
90 degree days

Goblin Snowman
06-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Slops:

The Swart bros. for not coming.

Stu for taking the mega hangover route; weed and alcohol....

My deck for not outlucking other decks.

Hey, I was going to come, but in addition to playing poker until about 3, I had to work. Well done at T8ing again man, but come on and win some money already.

And Stu, way to cast Duress; you know if you do that they'll rip whatever you were trying to hit right afterwards.

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah, it was like that in the enchatress game actually. I duressed away a mask, he riped another to bash face, all in the same game he ripped the seal to kill deed. god I needed a cig after that game....

Citrus-God
06-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Hey, I was going to come, but in addition to playing poker until about 3, I had to work. Well done at T8ing again man, but come on and win some money already.

And Stu, way to cast Duress; you know if you do that they'll rip whatever you were trying to hit right afterwards.

ehh.... most of my playtesting is through Poker. I play exclusively at fulltiltpoker.net.

Thanks btw.

Kyachi
06-28-2007, 01:56 AM
I get slops for not coming? Lame Melvin. Really lame...

Citrus-God
06-28-2007, 02:24 AM
I get slops for not coming? Lame Melvin. Really lame...

Your fault for not being there.... it was my big day. Sometimes when I think back, I think I lost because you and Alex weren't there.