PDA

View Full Version : Choose wisely!

MattH
06-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Which would you prefer, if you had to choose between these two options? Whichever option you don't pick, is not going to happen for at least another 2 years.

A. Reprinting the good, rare, legacy-legal portal & starter stuff - Grim Tutor and Imperial Recruiter and Strategic Planning and Sea Drake, and Thunder Dragon (I don't mention Seal because it's banned in Legacy).
A. A Legacy GP in 2008.

MAKE YOUR CHOICE

sechs
06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
GP pleaaaase :laugh:

Machinus
06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
I would definitely choose the GP, but I don't see any reason why they can't do both.

I have most of the cards in question, but I still absolutely want them to reprint stuff like Imperial Seal and Thunder Dragon.

C.P.
06-25-2007, 06:08 PM
GP: Tornto FTW!

...or somewhere close to Canada.

Reprinting would be hot, but that will piss some pimps.:rolleyes:

MattH
06-25-2007, 06:23 PM
I would definitely choose the GP, but I don't see any reason why they can't do both.
Of course they COULD, I was just curious as to how much Legacy players valued the GPs.

iOWN
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
The reprints would be great because I hate how prices of Portal cards get jacked up for no good reason (*cough*Imperial Recruiter*cough*), but nothing beats a Grand Prix... We don't have enough large tournaments to directly register a metagame shift, and the GPs have proven to bring a lot of testing and innovation. Two next year would be even better.

scrumdogg
06-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Both would be preferable, but the cards are simply a bonus - we can have the format without the reprints. Without major events, we have neither presence nor a good way to truly measure much of the format.

dre4m
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
GP All the way. I think it will do us much more good to have a massive Legacy event then reprint some cards that might not even see much play.

matelml
06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Please give me a GP in Europe someday!

Tacosnape
06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I'd just be happy if there were normal Legacy tournaments in the entire Greater Birmingham Area. You'd think we could find a director and eight Legacy players in a population of 1.1 million.

But seriously? I'd pick the GP.

troopatroop
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
GP. In the northeast.

Arsenal_Fan
06-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Give us a GP in Texas and then have one out west. That seems like a natural progression of the location of the GPs.

Caboose
06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I'll take the cards. I'm in love with Grim Tutor, and getting a foil one would be the best thing ever. Grand Prix's aren't that awesome, because you get assholes like Gadiel Szleiffer top 8'ing and then talking shit about the format. The only good thing about having a GP is that Jack Elgin and I can spend more time together. God, that man is awesome.

Oh, for the people who are pathetically begging for a GP in the west, STFU. 3/4's of Legacy players live on the east coast, so the next 5 Legacy GP's should logically be east coast tourist cities like: Atlantic City, Chicago (east enough), NYC, Boston, and Washington DC. There should be one every 6 months. Five in the east, then one in Los Angeles/Seattle (alternating). Repeat until the format dies.

Bardo
06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
If no one gives a wank about Legacy, who cares how accessible the cards are? Having easier access to Sea Drake and Grim Tutor doesn't mean much if only 47 people care about the format.

In short, I'll take the GP. Grazi.

NANTUKO_SHADY
06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Throw that GP my way!!!

emidln
06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
As someone who has all of the valuable portal cards, I'll take the GP. Unfortunately, as a deck designer, availability of cards like Rolling Earthquake, Strategic Planning, Grim Tutor, and Imperial Recruiter has had some limiting effects. I'd still take the GP, that is, unless I can get asian foil Grim Tutors.

Watcher487
06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
If no one gives a wank about Legacy, who cares how accessible the cards are? Having easier access to Sea Drake and Grim Tutor doesn't mean much if only 47 people care about the format.

In short, I'll take the GP. Grazi.

Bardo actually brings up a very good point here. Anyway the only card that might see reprint without messing up Standard/Extended is Grim Tutor.

Machinus
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Bardo actually brings up a very good point here. Anyway the only card that might see reprint without messing up Standard/Extended is Grim Tutor.

Dragon and Seal seem like good candidates.

Watcher487
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Dragon and Seal seem like good candidates.

Thunder Dragon, I'm sorry for forgetting about it, but Imperial Seal is too good to have in Extended and Standard.

Getsickanddie
06-26-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm sorry for forgetting about it, but Imperial Seal is too good to have in Extended and Standard.

It wasn't that long ago that Vampiric Tutor was legal in extended, but I can't see them letting it into standard.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Thunder Dragon, I'm sorry for forgetting about it, but Imperial Seal is too good to have in Extended and Standard.

How so? What would it be good in?

emidln
06-26-2007, 11:44 PM
How so? What would it be good in?

TEPS

andrew77
06-27-2007, 04:28 AM
who even cares about sea drakes and imperial recruiters. I can already get them for legacy adn they wouldnt make type 2 or extended any fun so il take the GP. I would reconsider if they were to reprint something like sneak attack, minds desire, or aluren though.

Pale Moon FTW
06-27-2007, 07:28 AM
GP on the condition it'd be in northern europe for once. Something like a GP: Berlin or even better GP: Copenhagen (alias GP: My backyard) would be fucking nice. Who cares about those expensive Portal cards anyway? Sea drake and Imperial Recruiter can only be used in one deck each, if you don't want to pay for them you can just play another deck.

Cabal-kun
06-27-2007, 07:36 AM
A GP under the condition that WotC doesn't pull 'a three weeks prior to the event, change this card' stunt.

xsockmonkeyx
06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
A GP under the condition that WotC doesn't pull 'a three weeks prior to the event, change this card' stunt.

I second that.

Happy Gilmore
06-27-2007, 12:51 PM
GP: Columbus 2008, there was such an amazing showing this year. I want a repeat.

Bryant Cook
06-27-2007, 01:39 PM
GP: Columbus 2008, there was such an amazing showing this year. I want a repeat.

Grand Prix: Syracuse 2008.

Whit3 Ghost
06-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Grand Prix: Albany 2008.
QFT

Nihil Credo
06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
More than Portal, I'd love to see the old sets' stuff get reprinted, since those see play in a lot more decks... Moat, Tabernacle, that kind of stuff.

revenge_inc
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I voted for the cards, I think making the format more accessible and consequently more diverse is healthy for it and would eventually lead to a greater player regular base and be more fun for all. Reprinting would benefit Legacy players worldwide and not just those close enough or with the funds to travel to the GP. As well, I would love to play Faerie Stompie but I don't have 150$ to blow on them right now seeing as I follow other formats as well.

My reasoning was:
GP at the end of 2009 + cards is better than a GP in 2008.

Nightmare
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
More than Portal, I'd love to see the old sets' stuff get reprinted, since those see play in a lot more decks... Moat, Tabernacle, that kind of stuff.You mean the stuff on the Reserved list?

Slay
06-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm going to choose the cards. It's a very good thing that the format has GPs every now and then. However, the format has stabilized and slowly increasing, and good things aren't needed. What's needed, however, is to stop any Very Bad Things from happening. One of the only Very Bad Things that can happen in this format is that a deck becomes really good where it relies heavily on really expensive cards, for example, a tweaked out Recruiter/Aluren deck. Or if some new cards or deck uses 4x Grim Tutor and becomes the best deck in the format because of it. I'd rather make sure that can never happen, as these past two years have shown that the Legacy community can thrive without GPs. Hell, it even survived eight months without my beautiful face posting here.
-Slay

Pinder
06-27-2007, 07:58 PM

A repeat that doesn't involve Flash :rolleyes:. Seriously though, I'll pretty much fly out to a GP that large no matter where it is. Well, as long as it's in the US. But not Alaska. Totally Hawaii though. Why don't we have more GPs in Hawaii?

I'd love to see a GP up in New York, though. I've already been to Ohio, I want something new.

Happy Gilmore
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
A repeat that doesn't involve Flash :rolleyes:. Seriously though, I'll pretty much fly out to a GP that large no matter where it is. Well, as long as it's in the US. But not Alaska. Totally Hawaii though. Why don't we have more GPs in Hawaii?

I'd love to see a GP up in New York, though. I've already been to Ohio, I want something new.

I want it in Chicago.....plz plz. Or even Indianapolis.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-27-2007, 11:34 PM
TEPS

Yeah, Mirage-style Tutors have really shitty synergy with storm.

I second this mostly on the back of that Italian place.

Also, memo to self:

Never eat at a table with Dave Price again.

Nihil Credo
06-27-2007, 11:40 PM
You mean the stuff on the Reserved list?
Much to my chagrin, yes. :frown:

Di
06-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I want it in Chicago.....plz plz. Or even Indianapolis.

I will not be making a drive to Indiana or Illinois. Hell, Gencon is like an 11-hour drive for us. I think it'd be awesome if it was in New York (not necessarily Syracuse, but NYC would be neat) or Virginia, or somewhere accessible by New York.

emidln
06-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Yeah, Mirage-style Tutors have really shitty synergy with storm.

I hope you're trying for sarcasm. I would play and dominate with Imperial Seal in Extended TEPS. B, find a ritual, etw, tendrils, desire, wish, etc is just way too good to not play. Flipping it off desire isn't even that bad because the deck runs a bunch of eggs/chromatic stars/serum visions. I think you've been playing control decks too long...

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
B, find a ritual, etw, tendrils, desire, wish, etc is just way too good to not play.

Waiting a turn to go grab them isn't. Neither is stacking a card to draw with another card, even if you have the other card, unless you have a ton of mana floating. Try actually proxying up such a list, it's not going to be the hot shit you imagine. It might be playable; it certainly wouldn't be busted.

Di
06-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Waiting a turn to go grab them isn't. Neither is stacking a card to draw with another card, even if you have the other card, unless you have a ton of mana floating. Try actually proxying up such a list, it's not going to be the hot shit you imagine. It might be playable; it certainly wouldn't be busted.

By this philosophy, Vintage combo wouldn't be running either Vampiric Tutor or Imperial Seal, or even Mystical Tutor. Obviously the power level is much different in that format, but denying the fact that you're given the ability to search for any card and win the next turn isn't anything to scoff at. Considering Extended combo doesn't win until like turn 3-4 at the earliest, I'd say this is pretty damn good to be casting within the first few turns.

Hell, I'm pretty sure every combo deck in this format would be running it as well (sans the R/g Belcher builds). It's retarded.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Yawgmoth's Will. QED, shut up.

Imperial Seal < Lim-Dul's Vault in any rational analysis in a metagame without those three above cards. And who plays LDV?

emidln
06-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Imperial Seal < Lim-Dul's Vault in any rational analysis in a metagame without those three above cards. And who plays LDV?

LDV costs two colored mana, one of which is blue, making it difficult to cast for many decks. This is why it is not played.

Nihil Credo
06-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Really? I thought that in Extended-1 (the format with dual lands) Vampiric Tutor had seen a little more play than LDV, despite both being in the format and power not being available.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-28-2007, 07:43 PM
It may have; I was not deeply involved in old Extended. LDV lets you stack your entire deck instead of one card, however, and pitches to Force of Will. I know when I played the card in Flash, there was never a time where I wished it was Vampiric Tutor, much less Imperial Seal (and the Sorcery speed is highly relevant). Vampiric Tutor certainly wasn't busted in the Tempest-Kamigawa Extended metagame. There was a slightly heavy lean on combo in that metagame, but that was for numerous reasons, and some of the prominent combo decks didn't even run Vampiric.

I think the card would be completely fair in T2 and Extended. Claims that it would be broken seem irrational and typical of the reaction to bringing back any former heavy player into a new metagame; remember claims of how Hypnotic Specter was going to destroy Type 2, for instance.

Nihil Credo
06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Remember that the dominant builds of Flash, starting with yours, were more combo-control than control, because the environment was a sort of Vintage-Lite without Stax - i.e. Flash vs. Fish.

All the current Ritual decks in Legacy and Extended don't run countermagic and don't rely on a specific two-card combo. That means the advantages of Lim-Dul's Vault are close to meaningless when compared to the 50% cost discount you get with Imperial Seal. The card would definitely be played as a 4-of, especially since Street Wraith can combo with it to form a 1-mana Demonic Tutor.

I don't know if Seal would be broken, but as far as Legacy is concerned, TES and Belcher are already getting people nervous enough as they are.

zulander
06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I'd take the cards. A one time event when there are always events or reprinting cards that are unreasonably expensive in the $150+ range. I'll be selfish and take the cards.

Getsickanddie
06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Really? I thought that in Extended-1 (the format with dual lands) Vampiric Tutor had seen a little more play than LDV, despite both being in the format and power not being available.

Very try. Vampiric Tutor saw a fuckton of play. LDV saw almost no play.