PDA

View Full Version : Wingshards

clavio
06-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Let's say a goblin player has 4 goblins in play, all attacking. One of which happens to be a goblin piledriver. Let's say a wombat player casts a wing shards so that the goblin player must sacrifice 2 attacking goblins. Is the piledriver a 3/2 or a 7/2?

Pinder
06-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I think that depends on when the Wing Shards was cast. If it's done in response to Piledriver's triggered ability, then I believe that it will check on resolution and be a 3/2. If it's done after the ability resolves but before damage, it will still be a 7/2.

edit: From Gatherer:

10/4/2004 The number of Goblins is counted when this ability resolves.

So yeah, if you time it right.

bigbear102
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Can Akki or On1y0ne way in on this, cuz I played wombat for a long time and was under the impression that to be sacced, they had to be declared attackers, and that by then driver was big...???

Nightmare
06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Can Akki or On1y0ne way in on this, cuz I played wombat for a long time and was under the impression that to be sacced, they had to be declared attackers, and that by then driver was big...???They can be declared as attackers and still die before the trigger for Driver resolves. Since the trigger checks numbers on its resolution, the Piledriver only gets +2/+0.

Pinder
06-29-2007, 04:23 PM
They can be declared as attackers and still die before the trigger for Driver resolves. Since the trigger checks numbers on its resolution, the Piledriver only gets +2/+0.

Exactly. It works like this:

Your opponent enters their attack step.
Your opponent chooses which Goblins will attack.
Your opponent taps each of the Goblins he's attacking with. At this point they are officially considered 'attacking creatures'.
Piledriver's ability triggers, and gets put onto the stack.

This is when you play Wing Shards. Each copy resolves, and the opponent sacs a creature for each one.

The Piledriver's ability resolves, and on resolution checks for the number of attacking creatures that are also Goblins. It sees however many are left, and adds +2/+0 accordingly. Then you take damage.

So in this example, if your opp is attacking with 4 Goblins, and you play a Wing Shards for 2 copies, the Piledriver will be a 3/2 (assuming they didn't sac the driver, of course).