PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lands do you want to see in the next set?

zulander
06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Well every block Wizards makes some type of lands, the more famous ones were the fetches/duals/pain/shock lands. My question to the community is what would you like to see once the new block comes out?

I personally would love to see enemy fetch lands, I know it most likely happen, but just like there's enemy pain/dual/shock lands I believe there should be enemy fetches too. But my money is that they make the next block a mono-colored theme block and make cards similar to cradle/academy/sanctum, but not as powerful.

What are your thoughts?

Nightmare
06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Llorwyn Block is planned to be pushing Mono-colored decks. Enemy Fetches are unlikely.

Barook
06-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I would like to see more colored, legendary lands like Flagstones of Trokair or Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Enemy Fetchlands would be awesome, too, but i don't think this will happen anytime soon.

Plus, I'm still pissed they didn't reprint Duress and Fetchlands in 10th. :mad:

Tacosnape
06-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I think a series of "Acceleration Lands" would be an interesting addition.

For example,

Nessian Timbers
Land
Nessian Timbers comes into play tapped.
Tap: Add :g: to your mana pool.
Accelerate :1::g: (:1::g:: Put this card into play tapped. Play this ability only if this card is in your hand and only any time you could play a sorcery.)

scrumdogg
06-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd like to see some reprints (actual or functional) of previous cool lands with abilities - Maze of Ith, Serra's Sanctum, Karakas, Winding Canyon, etc. Not only would it increase supply (not much of an issue except for Maze) but it would add these lands to more current formats which A) would be fun B) would give lots of players a chance to try them out - with both newer & older cards. This has the side benefit of creating more tech as people fimd new & interesting ways to utilize cards from the past.

Samshire
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd like to see some reprints (actual or functional) of previous cool lands with abilities - Maze of Ith, Serra's Sanctum, Karakas, Winding Canyon, etc. Not only would it increase supply (not much of an issue except for Maze) but it would add these lands to more current formats which A) would be fun B) would give lots of players a chance to try them out - with both newer & older cards. This has the side benefit of creating more tech as people fimd new & interesting ways to utilize cards from the past.

I would find it very doubtful that there would be reprints of these lands, seeing as Lorwyn takes place on a different plane and I'm pretty sure that most of those lands are...not on Lorwyn. But if they did reprint these they would probably make them a lot weaker and not worth playing in any format out of standard.

I'm not that interested in the lands, it will probably be a while before they print the enemy color fetches (if they even do that). I would like to see them take the lands in the same direction as the artifact lands in Mirroden though: Extremely busted.

Bovinious
06-29-2007, 05:52 PM
What they really SHOULD make are fetchlands that can fetch only one kind of land, it would fit in to the mono color theme and also be playable in eternal as substitutes/in addition to fetches. Maybe like this in every color and as uncommons:

Red Finder
Land

Tap, sac: Search your library for a mountain card and put that card into play. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Bane of the Living
06-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Ill pretty much be up for any lands that are interesting as long as they dont come into play tapped. CipT is just a downfall to otherwise playable cards.

Id like see..

Mountain Mox
Land
When Mountain Mox comes into play you may remove a red card in your hand from the game. If you do Mountain Mox doesnt count towards your land per turn.
Tap: Add one red mana.

It kinda fits Tacosnapes accelerated land drop theme but better imo.

gnurbel2000
06-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I would like to see some lands with an ability and a basic land type, so you can fetch those lands.

Samshire
06-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Ill pretty much be up for any lands that are interesting as long as they dont come into play tapped. CipT is just a downfall to otherwise playable cards.

Id like see..

Mountain Mox
Land
When Mountain Mox comes into play you may remove a red card in your hand from the game. If you do Mountain Mox doesnt count towards your land per turn.

Pretty sure they call this Chrome Mox.

Nihil Credo
06-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I, on the other side, like the fact that there are no enemy fetchlands. In my opinion, there should be *some* incentive to play ally colours rather than enemy ones... we already have enemy duals and pains, if there were also fetches then the entire concept of allies/enemies would disappear.

As for what kind of lands to print, here are a few ideas I've written down in the past; two of them happened to be printed more or less identically in Future Sight.

-------------------------------
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1, T, Sacrifice ~: Draw a card.
-----------------------------
~ comes into play tapped.
1C, T: Target creature gains protection from a color of your choice / flying / Regenerate target creature / double strike / gets +2/+2 until end of turn. (in WUBRG order)
T, Sacrifice an artifact: Add 2 to your mana pool.
Whenever you play a spell, put an excavation counter on ~.
T: Add 2 to your mana pool. Play this ability only if there are two or more excavation counters on ~.
T: Add C to your mana pool. Play this ability only if you control a D-land.
T: Add D to your mana pool. Play this ability only if you control a C-land.
T, return a land you control to its owner's hand: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Angelfire
06-29-2007, 10:25 PM

Id like see..

Mountain Mox
Land

CiTP lands are almost never good, but they definately won't print Mountain Mox; it goes against Wizards' rule of not making lands strictly better than basics (barring it being nonbasic, which doesn't count). To fix it make it produce colorless unless you do the red card imprint thing, but these lands would still be better than Chrome Mox.

I love fetches so I fully endorse the idea of any non CiTP fetches. My idea for some mono colored lands would be a new series of legendary lands...

Blue
Legendary Land
Tap: add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
1U,tap: Draw X cards, then discard X cards. X is equal to the number of Islands you control.

Black
Legendary Land
B,tap: Each player loses X life. X is equal to the number of Swamps you control.

Red
Legendary Land
1RR: <this> becomes an X/X Elemental Creature until end of turn. X is equal to the number of Mountains you control.

Green
Legendary Land
1G, tap: Gain X life. X is equal to the number of forests you control.

White
Legendary Land
1WW, tap: Deal X damage to target attacking creature. X is equal to the number of plains you control.

Di
06-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Blue
Legendary Land
1U,tap: Draw X cards, then discard X cards. X is equal to the number of Islands you control.

This definetely smells of David Gearheart having sex with Satan.

SpikeyMikey
07-01-2007, 08:35 AM
How about:

I hate what Mirrodin did to T1
T: Add 3 mana to your mana pool. Play this ability only if you do not control any artifacts.

or

No, I mean I really, really hate what Mirrodin did to T1
T: Add 1 mana to your mana pool
T, Pay 2 life: Add R to your mana pool
T: The next time an artifact would come into play this turn, counter it unless it's controller sacrifices an artifact in play.

Mijorre
07-01-2007, 01:43 PM
How about:

I hate what Mirrodin did to T1
T: Add 3 mana to your mana pool. Play this ability only if you do not control any artifacts.

or

No, I mean I really, really hate what Mirrodin did to T1
T: The next time an artifact would come into play this turn, counter it unless it's controller sacrifices an artifact in play.

Awww..is someone getting beaten over the head with ravenger affinity? Also...type 1? We play Vintage now?

Alex_Van_R
07-01-2007, 02:00 PM

That wording doesn't seem right to me...

Sims
07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I'd love to see some cycle of lands with relevant abilities like Horizon Canopy's card drawing if you get flooded or don't need it anymore or some kind of cycle hailing from the odyssey block... Not necessarily with Threshold, but maybe a land that taps for 1 color (with or without pain) that has some form of relevant activated ability... like...

Green Land:
Tap, pay 1 life: Add G to your mana pool.
<clause>G, Tap: Untap target permanent.

White Land:
Tap, Pay 1 life: Add W to your mana pool.
<clause> W, Tap: .. Honestly have no clue here..

Blue Land:
Tap, pay 1 life: Add U to your mana pool.
<clause>. U, Tap: Scry 2

Black Land:
Tap, Pay 1 life: Add B to your mana pool.
<clause> B, Tap: Target player discards a card at random.

Red Land:
Tap, pay 1 life: Add R to your mana pool.
<clause> R, Tap: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

The <Clause> could be like having a certain number of that color permanents, or some other mechanic that they might be brewing up. I'd like to see lands that stuck around instead of the Odyssey lands where they sac, but this is the type of land i'd love to see.

DrJones
07-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Awww..is someone getting beaten over the head with ravenger affinity? Also...type 1? We play Vintage now?No, but we play Legacy because Type 1 has unrestricted Workshops. :smile:

greenmage
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd love to see some cycle of lands with relevant abilities like Horizon Canopy's card drawing if you get flooded or don't need it anymore or some kind of cycle hailing from the odyssey block... Not necessarily with Threshold, but maybe a land that taps for 1 color (with or without pain) that has some form of relevant activated ability... like...

Green Land:
Tap, pay 1 life: Add G to your mana pool.
<clause>G, Tap: Untap target permanent.

White Land:
Tap, Pay 1 life: Add W to your mana pool.
<clause> W, Tap: .. Honestly have no clue here..

Blue Land:
Tap, pay 1 life: Add U to your mana pool.
<clause>. U, Tap: Scry 2

Black Land:
Tap, Pay 1 life: Add B to your mana pool.
<clause> B, Tap: Target player discards a card at random.

Red Land:
Tap, pay 1 life: Add R to your mana pool.
<clause> R, Tap: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

The <Clause> could be like having a certain number of that color permanents, or some other mechanic that they might be brewing up. I'd like to see lands that stuck around instead of the Odyssey lands where they sac, but this is the type of land i'd love to see.

I like these. I am wondering why such lands aren't existing already.

kirdape3
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
That red land is BUSTED. People are willing to let their lands come into play tapped and put conditions on 1R, 1 damage - and you're going to go for R, 2 damage? I'd believe a lot closer to 2R, 2 damage - and you're still looking at a Cursed Scroll. Keldon Necropolis was 4R, sacrifice a creature for that much.

Sanguine Voyeur
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
The black one is also too good, constant instant speed random discard on a land. Unless, of course, it has a steep clause

Sims
07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
They have R for 2 damage on a creature, and another land, so why not? Maybe the clause for that one is removing cards from your graveyard like Grim? I dunno, I didn't really put a lot of thought into what kind of requirements you'd need to meet or what the other part of the cost would be, I was using the Odyssey lands as a template. Instead of Threshold, meet some other clause or pay another portion to the cost, and get the ability. My only concern was that they don't disappear like the Odyssey lands afterwards.

In any case, it was asked what kinds of lands people wanted to see, and I answered.

Lone Signal
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
What they really SHOULD make are fetchlands that can fetch only one kind of land, it would fit in to the mono color theme and also be playable in eternal as substitutes/in addition to fetches. Maybe like this in every color and as uncommons:

Red Finder
Land

Tap, sac: Search your library for a mountain card and put that card into play. Shuffle your library afterwards.I like these, but I wonder what would be the point in printing these for standard? Maybe if they incorporated more cards like Dryad Arbor into future cards, but that has the potential to be abused if there's some hidden niche that they don't catch.

Sims
07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
As posted, Searching your library for a mountain card would find duals and neo duals, it would just have to be a red dual... So you could still go get your forests in type 2 by grabbing a stomping ground. It would probably be printed as searching for a Basic mountain, but then you have to wonder what would make it more playable than Terramorphic Expanse.

More dryad arbor-like cards might be neat though.

greenmage
07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
That red land is BUSTED. People are willing to let their lands come into play tapped and put conditions on 1R, 1 damage - and you're going to go for R, 2 damage? I'd believe a lot closer to 2R, 2 damage - and you're still looking at a Cursed Scroll. Keldon Necropolis was 4R, sacrifice a creature for that much.

Not if the clause is restrictive enough.

Lone Signal
07-02-2007, 11:31 PM
As posted, Searching your library for a mountain card would find duals and neo duals, it would just have to be a red dual... So you could still go get your forests in type 2 by grabbing a stomping ground. It would probably be printed as searching for a Basic mountain, but then you have to wonder what would make it more playable than Terramorphic Expanse.

More dryad arbor-like cards might be neat though.But when it gets printed, the Rav duals would have rotated out of standard.
They won't print things just for older formats would they?

Nihil Credo
07-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Red Finder and its peers would be pretty much strictly better than their corresponding basic lands, since Stifle and Trickbind aren't played in T2 maindecks. They let you develop your mana while being immune to targeted land destruction, they provide a free shuffle, they thin your deck, and they pump Tarmogoyf or whatever graveyard-counting cards you are running. Oh, and they're broken with Crucible of Worlds, which is in 10th edition.

Bovinious
07-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Exactly, but its really no better than the Onslought fetches, in fact theyre loads worse except they don't cost you a life, and they could even tack on a life loss. I don't think they'd be very good in Standard, but theyd be good for Eternal formats as supplements with or budget options for normal fetches because theyd still be able to fetch duals, seems like a possible option in the near future if they arnt doing enemy color fetches.

thepchapin
07-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Both "red finder" and Bloodstained Mire are broken. Wizards knew Onslaught lands were a huge risk, they now feel they were a mistake. The finders suggested are just too good, as they allow you to thin, shuffle, potentially recurse, fill graveyard, and more at almost no cost at all.

I think a series of "Acceleration Lands" would be an interesting addition.

For example,

Nessian Timbers
Land
Nessian Timbers comes into play tapped.
Tap: Add :g: to your mana pool.
Accelerate :1::g: (:1::g:: Put this card into play tapped. Play this ability only if this card is in your hand and only any time you could play a sorcery.)

This land, however, is brilliant and properly costed. Tacosnape, may I suggest this card to some people?

raharu
07-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I like these, but I wonder what would be the point in printing these for standard? Maybe if they incorporated more cards like Dryad Arbor into future cards, but that has the potential to be abused if there's some hidden niche that they don't catch.

i don't follow standard (boring format to play kinda), but what use/impact did chalice have in standard?

Lone Signal
07-03-2007, 10:33 AM
i don't follow standard (boring format to play kinda), but what use/impact did chalice have in standard?But they didn't specifically print it for older formats, nor did they know that it was going to have zero (?) impact in standard.

Nihil gave me a good explanation as far as the merit of printing goes. They'll probably need to tack on some kind of disadvantage though.