PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Black Lotus

shteev
06-30-2007, 08:18 AM
What's the best way to sell a Black Lotus? I hear a lot of scare stories about fakes being put on ebay... would this mean that ebay Loti could fetch a smaller price due to buyer caution? Is there a better place to sell? If not, what's the best way of doing it?

kirdape3
06-30-2007, 03:13 PM
A major dealer is liable to pay less than EBay prices for it, but they are also the most able to determine grading and authenticity of the card. They're also liable to, you know, have the money to pay for the card.

EBay is a little volatile in terms of pricing and a lot volatile in terms of bad bidders and whatnot. If you're not a high-volume seller, you're extremely liable to not get even an average price out of your Lotus - too many people will simply think it's a fake.

PhilipJFry
06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Seems to me that one of your best options is to list it with a bunch of scans on MOTL selling board, and only allow high feedback users to purchase it (unless you are a high feedback user there already, at which point you can demand the other party send first). You skip the eBay fees, and are selling to an informed populace.

Cait_Sith
06-30-2007, 03:32 PM
I would recommend Card Shark if you are selling it for money. Use Paypal, you get your money fast and its the safest way to ensure your money.

DeathwingZERO
07-01-2007, 12:04 AM
If you are going to use Ebay, your rating should be as near 100% as possible, and most people won't even touch you with a money card like that unless you have 100+ feedback (taken from experience). Use VERY hi-res scans/digital pictures, get each corner (front and back), and very clear pictures of the cards centers, so people can see whether or not there is any shuffling flaws (the "ripple" effect, as it's known as), scratches, and clear shots of the logo on the back, as it's the easiest way to determine a fake from just plain view. If it's an alpha or beta, make sure the corner pictures are VERY clear, so they can see which it is, and how bad the play wear is.

Also, if your selling through personal and not business status, a little history of the card couldn't hurt. How long you've had it, if it's seen play, etc. That way they get a little info on your character, and if your seen as one that takes damn good care of your cards, it'll help them with believing your a legit player/collector, and that at least eases some people's minds on authenticity.

If you are going to use anything else, if Paypal is the payment method, make sure they are 1) verified, 2) shipping address is the same as the address Paypal has (NEVER go against this, you immediately lose your Seller Protection) 3) Try your best to be Continental US/Canada only (or larger/well known area of Europe), as Paypal is very sketchy on what countries they verify (though it will show that if you look at the payment details).

If the buyer is from/trying to get you to send to a well known duplicate/scam area (Singapore, Hong Kong, Phillipines) keep away from that as well, as they could be trying to get a legit card to produce scams with.

I'm actually looking to get rid of some of my Unlimited Power 9 as well, so that's the type of things I'm going to be doing. I'm not sure whether or not I want to do Ebay/Paypal or just something simple like Craig's List (Portland has a huge collectors market, so I may have better chances there).

Hummingbird TG
07-01-2007, 12:22 AM
If the buyer is from/trying to get you to send to a well known duplicate/scam area (Singapore, [...]) keep away from that as well, as they could be trying to get a legit card to produce scams with.

Well, if all people were like you, it would be hard to procure P9 here in Singapore......

Tha Gunslinga
07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Sell it on MOTL.

shteev
07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
What's MOTL?

Black and Blue
07-03-2007, 09:29 AM
What's MOTL?

Magic Online Trading League (http://magictraders.com/)

kicks_422
07-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Magic Online Trading League over at magictraders.com, for all your Magic the Gathering trading needs.