PDA

View Full Version : E. Plague and Harmonic+Sedge slivers

RoddyVR
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I know (and semi understand even) that if there's an Engeneered Plague set to slivers out, and i play a Harmonic sliver, that the sliver will die, bit its comes into play trigger can still kill the plague.

my question, is what happens, if there is the following cards in play:
2 Engeneered Plagues set to Slivers
1 Sedge Sliver (with the requisite swamp)

and i try to play a harmonic. at first glance, its the same thing, the harmonic comes into play as a 0/0 puts its triger on the stack (targeting a plague) and then dies.
however, when it comes into play, it also has a "B:regenerate" ability.
can i use that ability to get the harmonic to survive its coming into play, and killing one of the plagues, and living on as a 1/1?

zulander
07-02-2007, 03:50 PM
ORACLE
Harmonic Sliver :
Cost: 1 ManaGreen ManaWhite Mana
Card Type: Creature - Sliver
P/T: 1/1
Rules Text (Oracle): All Slivers have "When this permanent comes into play, destroy target artifact or enchantment."

Engineered Plague :
Cost: 2 ManaBlack Mana
Card Type: Enchantment
P/T:
Rules Text (Oracle): As Engineered Plague comes into play, choose a creature type.

All creatures of the chosen type get -1/-1.

Sedge Sliver :
Cost: 2 ManaRed Mana
Card Type: Creature - Sliver
P/T: 2/2
Rules Text (Oracle): All Sliver creatures have "This creature gets +1/+1 as long as you control a Swamp."
All Slivers have "Black Mana: Regenerate this permanent."

Sanguine Voyeur
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
No, regeneration doesn't save creatures from -x/-x effects. Even if it did, you wouldn't get a chance to play the regeneration ability. It would come into play as a 0/0, comes into play triggers would trigger and it would be put into a graveyard because state based effects would be checked.

RoddyVR
07-02-2007, 04:40 PM
thanks.
i suspected that would be the answer, was hoping the regeneration could stave off the death till the "next check of state based effects" at which point the harmonic would be a 1/1, having killed one of the plagues.

guess there just isnt much way around those dam things once there's more of them then there are toughness pumping slivers.

dre4m
07-03-2007, 02:42 PM
thanks.
i suspected that would be the answer, was hoping the regeneration could stave off the death till the "next check of state based effects" at which point the harmonic would be a 1/1, having killed one of the plagues.

guess there just isnt much way around those dam things once there's more of them then there are toughness pumping slivers.

Even if regeneration could stave of a SBE death, you still wouldn't be able to activate it before SBE's were checked, as they are checked upon resolution of the spell, and you can't activate it before the spell resolves. Why not just play Plated Sliver?