PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Tomb and State Based Effects

Sanguine Voyeur
07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Hypothetically, if I tap an Ancient Tomb when at one or two life, when would I loose? Would it be immediately or later?

I think that it would be whenever state based effects are checked, that is whenever priority is passed, when a spell is finished resolving, or at end of turn, but I’m not positive.

Fred Bear
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
You will lose as soon as you add the mana to your mana pool.

Fred Bear...

Cait_Sith
07-08-2007, 09:59 PM
You will lose as soon as you add the mana to your mana pool.

Fred Bear...

No. You would lose as soon as state based effects are checked. If you tap Tomb as part of the casting of a spell or the activation of ability then you would not lose until SBEs would be checked. Note you still would not be able to do anything to save yourself.

Also, SBE's are checked after a spell is cast, after a spell resolves, the same with abilities. There are a large number of times when SBEs are checked actually.

Also, nice scene of Ariel being killed by the Lance of Longinus over and over.

Sanguine Voyeur
07-08-2007, 11:03 PM
I thought so.

You're actually the second person to recognize my avatar, Eldariel beat you to it. I’m surprised it’s so identifiable.

Cait_Sith
07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
I thought so.

You're actually the second person to recognize my avatar, Eldariel beat you to it. I’m surprised it’s so identifiable.

I recognized it the moment I saw it, I just never mentioned it before. Ariel happened to be one of my favorite angels.

cdr
07-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Also, SBE's are checked after a spell is cast, after a spell resolves, the same with abilities. There are a large number of times when SBEs are checked actually.

State-based effects are checked whenever someone would get priority.

420.3 Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, "Timing of Spells and Abilities"), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single event, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based effects have been generated, triggered abilities go on the stack, and then the appropriate player gets priority. This check is also made during the cleanup step (see rule 314); if any of the listed conditions apply, the active player receives priority.

Sanguine Voyeur
07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
State-based effects are checked whenever someone would get priority.That's what I've come to understand ever sense the days of Night of Soul's Betrayal > Sakura-Tribe Elder.

I recognized it the moment I saw it, I just never mentioned it before. Ariel happened to be one of my favorite angels.Why, because it just floats around, raping people's minds? It's definitely my favorite.

ReAnimated
07-09-2007, 12:46 AM
lol i didn't realize what it was til cait sith metioned it the series is good havent seen the movies tough ( ive been seraching the interwebs forevear :cry: )