PDA

View Full Version : Is is possible to declare the game a draw so both players start with 7 cards?

revenge_inc
07-26-2007, 06:31 PM
The following thread popped up on the question of getting free mulls for both players:

http://www.mtgontario.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6038#88576

What do people think of this?
Can you declare the game a draw so both players get to start again with 7?

Machinus
07-26-2007, 06:35 PM
This sounds like a load of bull but technically it seems like it follows from the draw rule, if that one is true.

In practice it would never happen as competitive players don't like giving their opponents free cards.

Samshire
07-26-2007, 06:40 PM
So....it's like a friendly mulligan half the time?

I can't think of many uses for this, if your deck is already going into time then it won't do much good to just start a new game, would it? It just doesn't seem very useful, but maybe I'm wrong.

revenge_inc
07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
In practice it would never happen as competitive players don't like giving their opponents free cards.

...not quite, if both players mull to six and decide to draw the game they would both start a new one with seven cards(unless there were new mulligans) thus no comparative card advantage was generated. In a sense it would be a gamble for both players (although I would be very suspicious of any player offering to draw the game like this). My question leans more towards whether this is theoretically possible or not.

Machinus
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
...not quite, if both players mull to six and decide to draw the game they would both start a new one with seven cards(unless there were new mulligans) thus no comparative card advantage was generated. In a sense it would be a gamble for both players (although I would be very suspicious of any player offering to draw the game like this). My question leans more towards whether this is theoretically possible or not.

No, it's still worse for you. You don't know how bad their hand is and how good their new one could be.

The only way this could be beneficial is if you are playing a deck such as Belcher and you need more cards so you can win right away; but again no one would be stupid enough to let you have them.

revenge_inc
07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
No, it's still worse for you. You don't know how bad their hand is and how good their new one could be.

Why is it worse for you? They also don't know how good or bad your hand is.

The only way this could be beneficial is if you are playing a deck such as Belcher and you need more cards so you can win right away; but again no one would be stupid enough to let you have them.

True. But then again....you never know...:wink:

Silverdragon
07-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Another reason for you not to agree on a draw would be a scenario where you don't want to risk going into another game in which you could be forced to mulligan down further than now with your opponent not mulliganing. For example you mulligan to six and see a hand that is playable but shaky, your opponent mulligans to six too and asks for a draw. You think seven new cards are better than the six you have right now and draw but in the next game you have to mulligan down to 4 and your opponent keeps his seven.
I'm exaggerating a bit but I hope you get the point.

Bovinious
07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Also like, if your down a game and draw once, the best you can end up with is a 1-1-1 draw right? Even if you have time I dont think you can goto game 4+ can you?

TheAardvark
07-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Also like, if your down a game and draw once, the best you can end up with is a 1-1-1 draw right? Even if you have time I dont think you can goto game 4+ can you?

Yes, you go to Game 4 if there is time. Unless, of course, that has been changed recently. I can't find documentation at this time, but I have seen it and actually done it in a PTQ.

cdr
07-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Matches continue until a player wins two games. Any number of drawn games are possible.

There's nothing wrong with intentionally drawing a game, as long as no bribery and such is invovled.

bigbear102
07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
So if you know what your opponent is playing and he doesn't know what you are playing, then you could ask for the draw on game 1, then SB and leave him not knowing what to do?

Atwa
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
So if you know what your opponent is playing and he doesn't know what you are playing, then you could ask for the draw on game 1, then SB and leave him not knowing what to do?

That's a harsh thing to do, but the way I understand it, that's perfectly legal.

cdr
07-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Your opponent would have to be a fool to agree, but sure.

Deep6er
07-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Incidentally, not terribly long ago at a GPT, my friend went to game six with Death Cloud and even more recent than that, I saw a game 5 with 8Char.dec. So, it's possible, but it sucks.

Nightmare
07-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Fakespam went to game 7 with Dragon in the old format once.

FakeSpam
07-28-2007, 01:42 AM
I'm pretty sure Fakespam went to game 7 with Dragon in the old format once.

It was some noob with a burn deck. Lim Dul was not my friend that day.

on1y0ne
07-28-2007, 09:47 AM
I have gone to game 6 because of Psionic Blast. I won game 1, he won game 2, then games 3, 4, and 5 were all draws due to Psi Blast. Two were mine, one was his. Game 6 went to time with me squeaking out the victory on the last turn with a Psi Blast, leaving me at 1...

bigbear102
07-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I once went to game 5 in a draft. He won game 1, games 2 and 3 he cast inferno for the draws, then i won game 4 and he won game 5, which consisted of casting inferno after attacking.