PDA

View Full Version : Double Strike

Xenocide
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
My friend had out a critter with double strike, and attacked. If I declare a blocker who dies to the first strike damage, does his creature still deal regular combat damage to me?
My first impression was that it would not, since it would seem to be the same as a player removing a creature (e.g. via burn) before combat damage but after blockers are declared; the creature would remain blocked and unless it has trample, would not deal damage to the player.

calosso
07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
My friend had out a critter with double strike, and attacked. If I declare a blocker who dies to the first strike damage, does his creature still deal regular combat damage to me?
My first impression was that it would not, since it would seem to be the same as a player removing a creature (e.g. via burn) before combat damage but after blockers are declared; the creature would remain blocked and unless it has trample, would not deal damage to the player.

If a creature w/ double strike is blocked it will not deal damage to player unless it has trample.

Xenocide
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks,
That's what I thought, but my friend swore that it wasn't true.

Pinder
07-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks,
That's what I thought, but my friend swore that it wasn't true.

Yeah, it's really counterintuitive, and should probably work the way your friend thinks it does, but according to the rules, once a creature is blocked, it's blocked, and it won't deal any damage to a player unless it has trample.

Tacosnape
07-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah, it's really counterintuitive, and should probably work the way your friend thinks it does, but according to the rules, once a creature is blocked, it's blocked, and it won't deal any damage to a player unless it has trample.

I don't think it's counterintuitive at all. If a creature is blocked for a second, he's going to be too distracted to carry out his mission of hitting the opposing wizard.

For example, if your friend steals your ice cream cone, and you start chasing him only to have a large weretiger jump out from behind a parked car and go "ROAR" in your face, only to then have said weretiger be struck by a bolt of lightning and be reduced to a smoldering catpile, you are probably going to be like "Wtf just happened" for at least a few brief moments while your friend escapes with your ice cream cone. And if you aren't distracted, you have Trample.

Bovinious
07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't think it's counterintuitive at all. If a creature is blocked for a second, he's going to be too distracted to carry out his mission of hitting the opposing wizard.

For example, if your friend steals your ice cream cone, and you start chasing him only to have a large weretiger jump out from behind a parked car and go "ROAR" in your face, only to then have said weretiger be struck by a bolt of lightning and be reduced to a smoldering catpile, you are probably going to be like "Wtf just happened" for at least a few brief moments while your friend escapes with your ice cream cone. And if you aren't distracted, you have Trample.

I LOL'D

Xenocide
07-31-2007, 04:05 AM

sigged.