PDA

View Full Version : The most expensive cards in Legacy

MattH
08-01-2007, 01:15 AM
So on an unrelated matter, I was researching the most expensive cards in Legacy. This is what I came up with:

in the $50-89 range we have ali form cairo (75), berserk (75), candelabra (50), chains of meph (70), diamond valley (75), forcefield (75), gauntlet of might (75), guardian beast (50), imperial recruiter (75), mirror universe (60), moat (75 - 55 for italian), nether void (75 - 50 italian), old man of the sea (50), ravages of war (50), rolling earthquake (60), sea drake (50), shahrazhad (60), the abyss (60), underground sea (50 even for revised, who knew?)

These are starcity's prices. Of course you can find these cards for less (especially the legends ones, where italian is a big discount), but they still rank accurately. Can you guess the top 5 cards in Legacy, by price?

(cards' names in white, highlight to view)

5. The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, $90
4. Time Vault, $100
3. Grim Tutor, $140
2. and 1. (tie) Juzam Djinn and Zodiac Dragon, $200

LMK if I missed something.

Atwa
08-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Wow, Imperial Recruter is $75?

I bought that card a year ago for $8.50.

I never use it, so I guess it's up for trade, anyone interested? :)

Happy Gilmore
08-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Wow, Imperial Recruter is $75?

I bought that card a year ago for $8.50.

I never use it, so I guess it's up for trade, anyone interested? :)

not at 75 but trade wise yes.

laststepdown
08-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Zodiac Dragon is still in Juzam range? That is kind of disturbing. What about say, a beta Underground Sea, sitting pretty at 300?

Machinus
08-01-2007, 03:26 AM
That's a poor choice of a price guide.

Anyway, most of those cards are bad. Grim is the only one that has the potential to cause problems for supply, in my opinion.

ParkerLewis
08-01-2007, 04:41 AM
Anyway, most of those cards are bad. Grim is the only one that has the potential to cause problems for supply, in my opinion.

QFT

Zodiac Dragon, $200 <= who the heck would ever want such sh*t ?
by the way, those prices are seriously unaccurate. I see Asian Zodiac Dragon for 120 euros (well, and it's still absurd anyone would want it).

Elfrago
08-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Luckily most of those cards are pretty useless

zulander
08-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I coulda sworn beta shivan dragon was more than $200

chmoddity
08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, Beta Forcefield is not $100 either, but that is clearly not what he was going for.

Can anyone tell me what the market is for Juzam? I would gladly pay $90 for Tabernacle, which has clear uses. But there is no reason I would pay more than $50 for a card that is pretty much worse than Plague Sliver.

emidln
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Wasn't Tabernacle like $30 a year ago, maybe a bit more? I swear that's what I bought them for at Pastimes.

Edit: I'd mostly agree with you Machinus, but I'd add Rolling Earthquake on there too. The potential for red-based aggro-control to play it is there.

Peter_Rotten
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
To anyone claiming that the prices are not accurate, please read the orignal post carefully.

These are starcity's prices. Of course you can find these cards for less (especially the legends ones, where italian is a big discount), but they still rank accurately.

C.P.
08-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Wasn't Tabernacle like $30 a year ago, maybe a bit more? I swear that's what I bought them for at Pastimes.

The tabernacle went up since the discovery of 43land.dec, or somewhere around that. An year ago, it was on 25 -30 range, and now it is about to hit 90. Anyway, most of high value card will probably never see play, with possible exception of:

Moat, The abyss, Grim Tutor, Imperial recruiter, Grim Tutor, Sea Drake, Berserk, Chain.

I'll not count the P3K one that have cheap counterpart.
It's sorry to see that Zuzam and Dragon is the highest card in our format, though.

Anyway, How many of these do you own? Or How many of them are accessible for you? I was wondering if scarcity of the card the the main reason that they are not seeing enough play.

I own:

2 Tabernacle (1 ITA, 1ENG)
1 Moat (ITA)
1 Berserk (REV)
1 Old man of the sea

My team as a whole have access to:

4 More Tabenacles
4 More Berserk

emidln
08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
The tabernacle went up since the discovery of 43land.dec, or somewhere around that. An year ago, it was on 25 -30 range, and now it is about to hit 90. Anyway, most of high value card will probably never see play, with possible exception of:

Moat, The abyss, Grim Tutor, Imperial recruiter, Grim Tutor, Sea Drake, Berserk, Chain.

It's sorry to see that Zuzam and Dragon is the highest card in our format, though.

Anyway, How many of these do you own? Or How many of them are accessible for you? I was wondering if scarcity of the card the the main reason that they are not seeing enough play.

I own:

1 Moat (ITA)
1 Berserk (REV)
1 Old man of the sea

May team as a whole have access to:

4 More Tabenacles
4 More Berserk

My brother and I share a collection. Between the two of us we have:

8 Grim Tutor
7 Rolling Earthquake
3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
0 Time Vault (finally sold the remainder of mine)
4 Sea Drake
4 Imperial Recruiter
1 Moat
2 Forcefield
4 Old Man of the Sea
3 The Abyss
3 Nether Void
1 Mirror Universe

As far as my team goes, we own a lot of Rolling Earthquakes, Grim Tutors, and Tabernacles because we've used them in decks before.

Nantuko88
08-01-2007, 11:24 AM

I own:

1 Moat (ITA)
1 Berserk (REV)
1 Old man of the sea

May team as a whole have access to:

4 More Tabenacles
4 More Berserk

What I own:

1 Tabernacle
1 Berserk
2 Chains
1 Black Bordered Underground Sea

I have always wanted moats though....not a great card, but it does cause many decks difficulty. That and two more Chains :) .

Bryant Cook
08-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Just a suggestion shouldn't this be the most expensive played cards in Legacy? Honestly, no one cares about Ali from cairo unless you're casting Cabal Therapy on an empty hand.

Atwa
08-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I only have:

1 Imperial Recruter (english)
1 Sea Drake

Which I both don't use but have aquired some time ago just for fun. I think I'll trade them both for some of the Staples I still miss (some Duals, some Fetch, 2 Chant, Meddling Mage).

I think I'll never play any of those expensive cards. Most likely since I'm not into the archtypes most cards are used in, but also for budget reasons.

Lego
08-01-2007, 11:57 AM
old man of the sea (50)

Wow, nice, I've got a couple of those! I should bust him out :)

I coulda sworn beta shivan dragon was more than $200

Starcity lists him at $150, so you're close. The beta one goes for $200. I think he was only listing cards that only exist in expensive forms. Otherwise every playable card form Alpha/Beta makes it.

thebadmagicplayer
08-01-2007, 12:22 PM
the only thing I have that's really valuable is a Juzam signed by Mark Tedin

KillemallCFH
08-01-2007, 12:55 PM
My brother has 5 Sea Drakes... that he got for about $1.00 apiece.

TheAardvark
08-01-2007, 01:36 PM
QFT

Zodiac Dragon, $200 <= who the heck would ever want such sh*t ?
by the way, those prices are seriously unaccurate. I see Asian Zodiac Dragon for 120 euros (well, and it's still absurd anyone would want it).

English P3K typically has a significant upswing in price due to it being scarcer.

I do find it amusing that Tabernacle has tripled in price in the last 9-12 months, but you can blame a Time Spiral common for that.

Eldariel
08-01-2007, 02:47 PM
English P3K typically has a significant upswing in price due to it being scarcer.

I do find it amusing that Tabernacle has tripled in price in the last 9-12 months, but you can blame a Time Spiral common for that.

You mean Ravnica-common? The only reason those decks are popping up in the first place is Life from the Loam.

C.P.
08-01-2007, 02:56 PM
You mean Ravnica-common? The only reason those decks are popping up in the first place is Life from the Loam.

I think he means certain storm card that makes lots of dudes. But I agree that the Loam helps out the card bit more.

TheAardvark
08-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Two things:

1. Loam is rare, not common.

2. Sure, it's used in 43 (or however many)Land.dec, but Tabernacle's primary use is to deal with Empty the Warrens, which is also played in Vintage decks. THAT is why the price has escalated.

Tha Gunslinga
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Tabernacle isn't at 90 yet; it's more like 70ish.

I have:
7 Tabs
0 Grims
3 Quakes
1 Sea Drake
0 Recruiters
7 Zerks
3 Time Vaults
6 Forcefields
4 Moats
5 Old Men
4 Abysses
4 Voids
1 Juzam
like 15 Candelabras
15 Shahrazads

Most of the rest of the weird crap. Most of it's for sale.

Machinus
08-02-2007, 01:45 PM
If anyone that owns Ravages is coming to the the Annandale tournament, please get in touch with me ASAP.

hi-val
08-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Zodiac Dragon is expensive because people love to collect Dragons and casual players and collectors run the market. Aside from Shichifukujin Dragon, Zodiac is pretty much the rarest, non-beta/misprint Dragon. Some people also make DCI's Lair/Zodiac decks so they can abuse Dragon with things like Survival, Wild Mongrel, etc. Still other people are getting Zodiac Dragons in hopes that the DCI reverts the card to what it's printed to do, which is infinitely return to your hand forever for free(!).

DrJones
08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Not to mention that Zodiac Dragon is the rarest of the prerelease rares!

Bovinious
08-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Zodiac Dragon is also pretty good with Sneak Attack/Through the Breach, not to say such strategies are actually viable though.

ReAnimated
08-02-2007, 06:10 PM
What about In The Eye Of Chaos thats up there isn't it?

Sanguine Voyeur
08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
What about In The Eye Of Chaos thats up there isn't it?In the Eye of Chaos is surprisingly (relatively) cheap. Starcity Game's high prices only place it at $30.

Griselpuff
11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Dredge 6 years.

Enjoy :laugh:

Dan Turner
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/028/453/necropost.jpg

sdematt
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Dredge 6 years.

Enjoy :laugh:

Banned for unnecessary necro.

-Matt

mishima_kazuya
11-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I got a little excited when I read that I could get a Moat for only $55.

Then I read that the post was from 2007. :frown:

Kayradis
11-08-2013, 07:07 AM
This is one of the most bad ass necro I've seen in a while!

Bed Decks Palyer
11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
In before the next necro...