PDA

View Full Version : wipe away on a standstill?!?!?!

cwt1220
08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
this situation came up at a tournament i was at recently, and was unsure what to do about it. A player cast Wipe Away targeting a standstill, and i was wondering if the split second wipe away returns the standstill to hand, or if the standstill will trigger. If anyone can help me with this, it would be great.

HPC
08-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Wipe Away:
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.) Return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Standstill:
When a player plays a spell, sacrifice Standstill. If you do, each of that player's opponents draws three cards.

Split Second doesn't stop triggered abilities. Thus the Standstill would trigger, is sacrificed, and the opponent would draw three cards. Then the Wipe Away would resolve and be countered due to having no targets. Until the Wipe Away resolves neither player may play spells or activated abilities.

Meekrab
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Standstill's ability is triggered, not activated. The player controlling Standstill will sacrifice it and draw three cards, and Wipe Away will fizzle.

Ugh, beaten by a minute

cwt1220
08-02-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks for the help guys, i kinda thought that was how it worked, but i wasnt sure