PDA

View Full Version : Newbie fetchland strategy question

Curby
08-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi, I'm just returning to Magic after some time and trying to get up to speed on the game mechanics again.

Why do people who play first activate a first-turn fetchland on the end of opponent's turn? While it's often good to do instant-speed things at the end of an opponent's turn, I see at least three reasons why you shouldn't do this.

1) Assuming you have nothing to do with turn-1 mana, couldn't you fetch and then bluff with a mana-producing land? Maybe you have a Stifle, a Swords to Plowshares, a Bolt, an anything?
2) At the end of opponent's turn, he's got a land down, and has the option of Stifling your fetchland as you sacrifice it.
3) At the end of opponent's turn, he's got an extra card that he drew during his draw phase (he's drawing first). That's an extra possible threat against your fetchland.

I imagine the answer has to do with Wasteland tricks, but I can't quite see it. If he plays Wasteland, he doesn't have to Waste the fetchland. He can wait till your dual comes into play. Is the idea here to fetch a nonbasic if he plays Wasteland, but a dual otherwise? To counter that, why wouldn't the opponent drop another land first turn and wait until the Dual/other-nonbasic comes online before playing Wasteland?

One situation I can see is the following: (1) you're playing a deck with all nonbasics (this seems unusual in the modern meta), (2) you drew a hand with two fetchlands, or a fetch and a nonbasic, (3) you know he's playing Wasteland but not Stifle, and (4) everything in your hand needs at least 2 mana (a horrible draw in any aggro deck, not sure about control/combo). In this somewhat unlikely situation, you could play the fetch and activate it on your second turn, all but guaranteeing two mana on the second turn.

Anything else? I feel awfully blind cause there must be some compelling reason that overrides the three points named above. I'm ready for my cluestick beating now. :tongue:

Nightmare
08-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Cracking a fetchland before it's necessary exposes your actual mana producing lands to more threats than they would otherwise be exposed to. For example, against an unknown opponent, you play Flooded Strand, fetch up a basic Plains (now playing around Stifle and Waste), and your opponent leads with Swamp, Dark Ritual, Duress, Sinkhole. If you had left that fetch uncracked (especially if you have no reason to crack it), the land would be safe. Most people crack the fetch on the endstep only to use it for Swords, Brainstorm, etc. Generally, if you have a second land, it's better to let it sit there, especially vs. Land disruption.

DrJones
08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Also, if you have a fetchland and the opponent has a wasteland, you can wait a turn, and next turn play another land to cast a 2cc spell before he wastes your land.

In any other case, I usually sacrifice mine on my upkeep to make less likely I'll draw a land on my draw step.

troopatroop
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Even further, if it's not neccesary, it's always smart to withhold the most information possible from your opponent. If all I'm playing turn one is a Wooded Foothills, I'm not giving you any idea of what I'm playing. It could be Survival, Goblins, Sligh/burn, Some Aggro Varient, UGr Thresh, or any number of things. If I crack that fetchland and go straight for a mountain, your opponent could deduce much further (I would assume I was playing against Goblins for instance), and make better decisions throughout the match.

But you are correct, when playing against Stifle, Fetchlands should be cracked 1st turn and when they're tapped out, at all available circumstances.