PDA

View Full Version : Casual Draft?

Jak
08-08-2007, 04:38 PM
So my friends and I would like to do just a casual little draft. There will be 4 of us, but none of us have a clue how to set it up. We would like to just buy a booster box that is like 100 bucks or less and draft. So, hw should we set this up? And what would be a good set to draft? Thanks.

kirdape3
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Right now your best bet is 10th edition, which has a good deal of money rares and is actually designed very well for limited play.

Silverdragon
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
With only 4 people it is easy. Just make sure that you get rid of all the garbage asap maybe take a plasticbag and throw all the booster wrapping in there. You also need to make sure everybody has enough time (remember drafting and building decks alone can take about an hour plus smoking breaks, food breaks etc). Then you have to make sure to have a clock ready if you want to time your rounds and always refer to that clock (with 4 people it might not be necessary but generally when I draft with my friends we time the rounds).
With only 4 people you most likely won't have problems with pairing and determining a winner but with 5 or more people the DCI Reporter is a really useful tool to determine pairings and standings.
One last thing of note is determining prices. You should agree on this before you open the first booster. Me and my friends often take out the rares after the final round and draft them with the winner getting to pick the first card for his collection and so on but you can also make price boosters for the winner or just have everybody keep the cards he drafted at the beginning.
I'd say 10th is the best to draft but Timespiral is really cool too if you are already a bit experienced with drafting.

Bryant Cook
08-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I love fun drafting, I do it with casual friends alot. Take X amount of cards from each color shuffle them all together then make X amount of packs. It's free and alot of the time more fun than real drafting.