PDA

View Full Version : [Unlocking Legacy] - Far Beyond Driven

Obfuscate Freely
08-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Awwww (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14590.html) (read it; it's very... sweet).

I enjoyed it. Nice job, Adam.

outsideangel
08-10-2007, 12:40 AM
This made me smile.

You're a lot friendlier in article format, ya know?

Bryant Cook
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I liked it, after all my awesome self was named dropped.

AnwarA101
08-10-2007, 12:58 AM
There are many things I like about this article, but the most important part is the untold story. I'm still amazed that we drive to NY to play magic or that NY players come here to play magic. Its not like we are playing for tons of money or anything. We might come across borderline crazy or something, but the best answer is that it is a labor of love.

One last thing, Is this article named for the Pantera album of the same name?

Machinus
08-10-2007, 12:59 AM
I beat you by one minute and look at what happens!!!

Anyway, good article.

Zilla
08-10-2007, 01:40 AM
I beat you by one minute and look at what happens!!!
His already had a reply in it. :tongue:

Pinder
08-10-2007, 02:09 AM
We might come across borderline crazy or something, but the best answer is that it is a labor of love.

Hell, I dropped roughly $400 to fly to and stay in Columbus for the GP. Sure, there was money on the line, but honestly I had to T16 to break even. Even I was surprised that I made day 2. I did it because I knew it would be a blast, and I knew I would meet a ton of awesome Sourcers there for the first time. It was, I did, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That's what the format is all about, and I think Adam captured it perfectly in this article.

Good job, man.

Di
08-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Although you clearly understand Pinder, I think it's more difficult for someone like you to grasp the entire thing because they don't have events out there like they do on the east coast. Can you see yourself doing something like that once a month? Clearly it isn't $400 you're spending, but imagine yourself driving in a car for 7 hours to play a tournament that has little monetary gain for you, even if you manage to win. As you said it's for the fun, but it's crazy to think about how we do some of this stuff here just to see friends and such.

Pinder
08-10-2007, 02:36 AM
Can you see yourself doing something like that once a month?

To be perfectly honest......well, yeah. (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6602)

I realize it's only two and a half hours, but I believe the differing scale is only slightly relevant. Plus, if all goes well (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6597), I might have to drive as far as San Francisco (google puts it at 12 hours, 40 minutes). And you can bet your ass I'll be there.

And on the flight to Columbus I had to spend 5 hours in coach sitting next to this guy (http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/snuffmemtg/IMG_6397.jpg)

But that's neither here nor there. I think the point is that we're all crazy enough to spend way too much money to see friends that we met on the internet and play the magical cards.

Arctic_Slicer
08-10-2007, 05:26 AM
Definitely a good article. Since I live where I live it's just not possible for me to get to such legacy tournaments but I do understand the feeling of playing just to play. Sure sometimes there will be a local card store that hosts a legacy event of sorts where a half dozen people show up but there is never something with dozens of people who drive for 7 hours to get there. If it were within my budget to do so I would love to go to such events or at least attend a legacy grand prix or gen con event and hopefully I will be able to someday but real life is always more important than games no matter how much fun the game may be.

Anyway that was a good article and definitely the kind of article that there needs to be more of.

Nightmare
08-10-2007, 08:49 AM
You're a lot friendlier in article format, ya know?Was I unfriendly in person? If I was, it was only to Bryant. He did, after all, pour syrup in my hair. To be fair though, I teabagged him.

I'm still amazed that we drive to NY to play magic or that NY players come here to play magic. Its not like we are playing for tons of money or anything. We might come across borderline crazy or something, but the best answer is that it is a labor of love.That's really the point. I don't even care about results anymore, not on any high level. I make these trips (or, look forward to you guys making them) because you're all awesome dudes, and I love hanging out with you all. Call it sappy, but it's true, and I know the rest of the guys up here feel the same way. I have very few friends I've known longer than my Magic friends, and the ones I have known longer have played Magic with me through a lot of that time, too. It's amazing the kind of common ground this game lets people share.

One last thing, Is this article named for the Pantera album of the same name?Yeah, for a couple reasons. One, I was driven there this past weekend. Also, it takes a real drive for you guys to run these events, and for the players to haul out to them.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I was a little nervous about this one, as it didn't really have a lot of meat as far as cards go. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Whit3 Ghost
08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Just a good article in general, brings back memories of the trips to the Dual Land Drafts.

FoolofaTook
08-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Excellent article.

It perfectly describes the old environment before WoTC took over running tournaments also. I remember hitting tourneys in Boston, New Jersey and western Pennsylvania in a 3 weekend span in 1994. They were all 32-64 people in size and they all brought people in from all the surrounding states also.

It's interesting that Legacy is by far the closest approximation of what the Magic world had before WoTC took control and took most of the fun out of competitive play.

Aggro_zombies
08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
The article needed more Rush lyrics. Other than that, very good.

Lukas Preuss
08-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Nice article.

Anwar’s new creation; a mono-Blue, sorcery speed High Tide deck, using Candelabra of Tawnos and Mind Over Matter as mana generators.
That sounds really interesting. Is this just some really new version of Spring Tide? What are the advantages? Maybe Anwar could write something about this?

zulander
08-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Nice article.

That sounds really interesting. Is this just some really new version of Spring Tide? What are the advantages? Maybe Anwar could write something about this?
He's pretty swamped, but when I see him tomorrow I'll mention that he should probably write a primer of some sort.

AnwarA101
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
That's really the point. I don't even care about results anymore, not on any high level. I make these trips (or, look forward to you guys making them) because you're all awesome dudes, and I love hanging out with you all. Call it sappy, but it's true, and I know the rest of the guys up here feel the same way. I have very few friends I've known longer than my Magic friends, and the ones I have known longer have played Magic with me through a lot of that time, too. It's amazing the kind of common ground this game lets people share.

Maybe that is why you play Landstill :wink:!

But in all honesty people who think Legacy players are xenophobic, unapproachable, or something else should have really come out to the tournament on a Saturday and realized we were just there to have a good time. We are all trying to win, but the world isn't exactly riding on it just in case we don't.

Yeah, for a couple reasons. One, I was driven there this past weekend. Also, it takes a real drive for you guys to run these events, and for the players to haul out to them.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I was a little nervous about this one, as it didn't really have a lot of meat as far as cards go. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Okay I just love this. Call me a sucker for this type of play on words.

The article needed more Rush lyrics. Other than that, very good.

Were there any Rush lyrics in the article? I don't think I would have missed that reference. Just in case you needed it -

Begin the day
With a friendly voice
A companion, unobtrusive
Plays that song thats so elusive
And the magic music makes your morning mood

Tacosnape
08-10-2007, 12:36 PM
This article really makes me want to make it to the next decent-sized tournament up there.

jazzykat
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Unlike my favorite format T1, Legacy has yet to get the inflated ego assholes and bickering that IMO have caused a leveling off in enthusiasm for it.

This board reminds me of the Drain circa 2002/2003 except a little more frivolous posting is tolerated here. I started reading the article and I couldn't whole heartedly agree more with the statement.

This game is about having fun and goofing off. I sometimes skip out on tournaments to go on dates but I try to religiously make my weekly "Geek Night". I really enjoy teaching people how to be a better player and to think deeply in the game. I have a full life outside of this, but I would have to say without a doubt its the community and the "scientific" collaboration and debate on new decks that keeps me thinking and interacting.

A side note, since this is one of those feel good squishy posts anyway:

Since I have moved to NM I have never ceased to be amazed by the sheer amount of bad players and those who refused to improve. However, I will say this about NM, the players here are as nice as anywhere in the world and decidedly less smelly. Hopefully I will get a job on the East Coast to be closer to my family and I can actually clash with some of the titans of this format. Until then I will continue to yuck it up, out here.

nitewolf9
08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Great article, if I wasn't too much of a man to cry I'd do it. Instead I think I'll go kick someone in the head. But yeah, a great reflection on why we really play this damn game.

Zach Tartell
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Needs more grozoth. Props to me for not being able to read. Slops to adam for not mentioning Matt's incredibly phalic banana dessert at the subway/awesome stand.

Nihil Credo
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm not human, but if I were I'd be moved.

scrumdogg
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Outstanding article, it captures the essence of the format & why we play. As for outsideangel, I believe he was referring to your online persona (which can be decidedly dick-ish) as opposed to you IRL. Looking forward to the next article.

thulnanth
08-11-2007, 10:03 PM
It's interesting that Legacy is by far the closest approximation of what the Magic world had before WoTC took control and took most of the fun out of competitive play.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Already commented on this article over at SCG but once again, nice job :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared

Bardo
08-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Adam, this article was awesome. Even though it was thin on "tech" and whatnot, bollocks to that--we don't play this game or this format for tech--we play it because of the people, it's fun, and you're right, it is a satisfying diversion from the rest of the bullshit in life.

It reminds me of one of Thompson's more obscure, and unfortunately very out-of-print quasi-masterpieces The Curse of Lono. If you or anyone else loves the good Dr. Gonzo, this book will make you piss you pants with laughter. Anyway, Hunter is on "assignment" in Hawai'i in 1980 covering the annual marathon there for some Oregon-based magazine that is no doubt long-since bankrupt and sold for scrap by now. He sees the marathon as two separate races: the marathon for the Racers, who actually have a reasonable chance of winning the thing (which is really no more than a half-dozen professional athletes) and the Runners, thousands of them, that have their own reasons for running the marathon, none of which is really about winning the damned thing. I mean winning a marathon is insanely difficult work. Long story short, the marathon business, and most competitive activities exist because of the Runners, not the Racers, and Magic is no exception. It's fun because we make it fun, and though the stakes are not high, we invest a lot into the things we care about.

This is all connected to your article in some way, I think. Mainly, I just wanted to say that I dug this article and it was fucking great*, please keep it up.

* Except for the stuff at the end which might as well have been written by a freelance writer for Hallmark Cards, which in a word, was kinda "gay." :wink:

Raider Bob
08-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Made me want to drive to VA to play Legacy again. or anywhere for that matter. Nice article.