PDA

View Full Version : 2HG and Legacy?

GrandAdmiral
08-14-2007, 07:38 AM
There is a Two Headed Giant Legacy tournament September 30th in Minneapolis, MN. I've played some Legacy, but zero constructed 2HG. I'm interested in going, but I wonder about the format. Is every non-casual team going to be playing combo + control?

Has anyone else played Legacy 2HG? Have there been any tournaments in the past and how did they go? I'm curious about other people's experience with the format, thanks!

Finn
08-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Funny you mention it. This weekend I am going to be doing just that. The players are not all good players, but I am confident that there will be a number of innovative decks. Top strategies to expect:

-Time Walk effects like Temporal Manipulation and Time Warp (both players get an extra turn, good deal)
-Animate Dead on Kokusho (20 point life total shift for 2 is pretty good)
-Candelabra of Tawnos (one player serves as mana enabler for the other)

I can't wait!

Toad
08-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Constructed 2HG is awful when played in Standard because of the very high power level of the decks and the massive impact of the dice roll on the outcome of the game, and it is even worse in Legacy. Legacy 2HG is completely unplayable unless all you like to do is flipping coins for the entiere day. It is all about one head playing fast Combo with 0 protection and the other head playing Control with 4 Force of Will 4 Daze 4 Misdirection 4 Foil 4 Red Elemental Blast 4 Pyroblast. Charbelcher is the weapon of choice and with 30 starting life Spoils of the Vault is very solid.

I've played a single 2HG tournament in my entiere life. Most of the teams dropped after 2 rounds because it is the most boring format ever. Even Onslaught Block Constructed or Stasis Mirrors are more exciting to play.

HdH_Cthulhu
08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Thats not correct...

Whene one guye plays combo and the other plays control, they will die against a team that plays agrocontrol + anti combo control! It isnt that hard 2 beat one player that plays combo whene you are prepared for it...

hi-val
08-14-2007, 03:14 PM
This is going to be the most degenerate format ever.

Expect to be Brain Freezed out. Storm combo ftw.

jazzykat
08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I played in a 1.5 2HG tourney. I played solidarity and my partner had MUC. As Hi-Val mentioned it wasn't pretty.

Hatthehat
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
I think the combo deck and protection deck idea is the best thats the best idea.And least the games would be quick!

andrew77
08-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I've played in a few of these and 2 control decks together are actually unstoppable. The problem is the games will be long and you might get draws on time.

If it isnt going to be a competitive meta go with a control deck and a combo deck. That'l mean fast games and a good record.

Toad
08-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I've played in a few of these and 2 control decks together are actually unstoppable.

This is wrong. Turn 1 Combo is playable in this format (Goblin Charbelcher) and there is only 1 Control deck that can be built efficiently (only 1 deck can run Force of Will). Combo + 4 FOW + 4 Foil + land drop > 4 FOW + 4 Foil.

Of course this is assuming you win the toss, but if you want to compete in 2HG Legacy, you better practice your dice rolling skills.

I played 2 rounds of the 2HG Legacy tournament I went and both rounds lasted less than 10 minutes, including pre game period.

Curby
09-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Hmm, to solve this I'd just ban all non-permanents and nonland cards with casting costs of 0-1. Welcome to a game slower than Portal. :tongue:

(Given wackiness with madness, predict, cycling, etc., it might still be interesting ... but probably still broken.)

Happy Gilmore
09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
This is going to be the most degenerate format ever.

Expect to be Brain Freezed out. Storm combo ftw.

A sorcery speed storm deck and an instant speed storm deck would rock.

Or just belcher + control.

Piceli89
01-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I massively necro this topic back because I'm going to attend a 2hg tourney.
Does someone have other ideas or suggestions about 2hg decks, apart from the obvious combo+control? I thought that, in this format, COunterbalance and Standstill must be good , because the first triggers on each player, and the latter nets 6 cards to the team 8and 3 to the 1 of the 2 opponents, but well..). So I have the feeling that Dreadstill is good in here. The point is: which other deck with it?

loveisgreen
01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Yea, I was playing MUC with Jazzykat, the entire room got decked by Brain Freeze on turn 3 every game backed by at least 4 counterspells haha. They never held another 2HG Legacy tournament. Dreadstill + Eva Green seems funny, makes it Dreadstill vs. whoever isn't getting their lands molested by the other player.