PDA

View Full Version : Is this an infinite loop?

Sanguine Voyeur
08-17-2007, 10:08 PM
If I have a Conjurer's Bauble out, only a Second Sunrise in library, and enough sacrificial permanints to gain at least :2::w::w:, can I just say, "I repeat this X times." to gain X mana and win? (Though Cunning Wish for Stroke)

I'm just not positive if this counts as a repeatable loop.

DeathwingZERO
08-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I will already assume by "sacrificial permanents" you mean either artifacts or lands (that don't come into play tapped) or creatures with sacrificial mana production.

So the way I see it, you activate Bauble. This fails to bring back a card (the first time), putting Sunrise in your hand, nothing in the library. You've sacrificed whatever was needed in response for the mana, and cast Sunrise.

Sunrise brings back Bauble + x number of sac permanents. Activate Bauble, putting Sunrise back in library, sac permanents in response to get mana again.

Rinse and repeat.

The only thing I think you needed to clarify was that you can gain at least 2WW, PLUS the ability to gain the UU for Stroke + Wish at the end. So as long as your sacrificial permanents can do any color, you are fine. I know that a few Vintage combo players I've played against would wait for you to fail to announce activating for your blue sources, just because it is a relatively common play mistake, but you can fix it as long as you end the combo with Sunrise back in your hand.

The problem I see is that your opponent has a number of opportunities to completely hose this loop. So be sure after doing it the first time so they know what you are doing, to ask them if they are going to have a response if you attempt to do it X times.

Sanguine Voyeur
08-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks, I wasn't sure.

I don't think I can loop like that without being able to produce the :u::u: to win, although that would be quite embarrassing.

DeathwingZERO
08-18-2007, 05:10 AM
In a matchup against an opponent in a Vintage game, my opponent went with the plan to hit me with Ancestral kill (he was using Dragon vs my SX Tendrils), because I had already gotten rid of his Triskelion.

He proceeded to start up the combo, go through the process to put "Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 mana in mix of black and blue" into his mana pool, continued through with his combo until he drew into the Ancestral, then forgot he had any mana in the pool to begin with.

He declared he was moving to end of turn, in which I asked "Are you taking that mana burn then? You pretty much win if you Ancestral me to death, you already know I don't have Force". At that point he remembered he had stated he put mana in his pool, and had to kill me or die. He had already skipped the ability to return cards to his hand by stopping the combo with Witness on a Necromancy, so he had to cast another to start up again. Had I drawn into a hand with a single FoW against him, I would have won that. It's too bad I'm a nice guy, he couldn't have responded to dying to mana burn had I also proceeded to his end of turn.

When I thought about that match later that evening, I realized I got beat by a bad player just because I was too nice about him forgetting something as important as his immediate death upon leaving the phase. I've become more anal about that after that tournament, as that loss kicked me out of possible Top 8 access.