PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Deck

Jak
08-18-2007, 08:46 PM
So I plan on moving on and sell my Goblin deck for cash to build another. I went into my local cardshop to find that the deck would only get me $125. I turned that down easily. Since that didn't work out, I might want to put it up on ebay. So what should I set the price and would anyone bid? I want to know because I don't want to list it and have no one go for it. Anyways, here is what I would put up.

4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port
6 Mountain

4 Aether Vial

4 Goblin Lackey
3 Mogg Fanatic
4 Goblin Piledriver
3 Tin Street Hooligan
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Matron (US)
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Goblin Ringleader
3 Siege-Gang Commander

I range it about $310-320. But I have seen one listed for $510, so I do not know. Thoughts? I will post a link to the auction if and when it comes up.

Raider Bob
08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
put the cards up as sets and auction them off, or just buy new cards and keep those cards so you can play a different deck or loan gobo's to a friend to play in the tourny.

kicks_422
08-18-2007, 11:48 PM
If you're sure you won't be using those fetches/Wastelands/duals and that you're really tired of playing Goblins, then you might as well sell off the entire thing as a deck. I think you're right about the price range (320-ish, I guess 350 flat with sleeves, SB, and other stuff you might have).

You might want to make sure what deck you're building first before selling it. It'll cost you more if you keep on switching decks while halfway building them (which I've been victim of so many times).

Jak
08-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Oh don't worry. I know what I need to buy and the cost. I just know I want to trade in the deck and start building TES (the deck I plan on purchasing). It should cost me around the same as what my goblins deck is worth, so I hope it works out. I really don't want to spend money on a new deck and 2 plus years playing Gobbos got a little boring. But thanks for the advice and answers guys. I hope to have the auction up soon and will definitely post a link. Hope people are interested in buying.

mikekelley
08-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Unless you're dead set on selling the whole deck...

Keep the Taigas, Fetches, Ports and Wastes and sell the rest in playsets or something on eBay. You definatley wo'nt make as much, but you WILL kick yourself for selling the fetches and duals down the road, and ports and wastes are utility cards that are always nice to have around in a pinch.

Jak
08-19-2007, 05:31 AM
I have thought about it and how duals and fetches should never be sold because they will just not go down in value. I have been playtesting various combo decks from solidarity to belcher and I found TES to be just fun. That is really all I care about. I don't want to keep playing the same old aggro deck. The game is supposed to be fun and gobbos has not been that as of late. I really wish I could keep the staples, but me, as a student, does not take in a ton of cash and selling some cards I have aquired over the years is the only way, unless I wait. It took me 2 years to build that gobbo deck and I loved to play it, but I want a challenge, so...

mikekelley
08-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Nah man, I didn't think it took you two full years :D

I remember you first posting on SCG last summer asking what deck to make.

But shenanigans aside, patience, and in the end you'll be glad because you'll have all the cards for all the decks.

Shugyosha
08-19-2007, 06:57 AM
In another two years you might be tired of TES too or a really powerful hate card against storm decks is printed.

So keep the lands, sell the rest in playsets. With the money you will still be able to buy alot of cards for TES. If you still need money begin with the Ports and Wastelands.

Nihil Credo
08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Keep the Vials too. That's another staple that will come in handy, whether you return to aggro, switch to aggro-control, or hell, even if you play combo (Life/Breakfast, anyone?)

DeathwingZERO
08-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Ditch the Ports, they've been steadily going down for the past 3 years, Goblins in Legacy is the ONLY deck packing them now, they just aren't that good anymore with the speed of Eternal formats.

The Wastelands are up to you, but in the past 3 years or so they've been going back up steadily thanks to use in Eternal formats. About 4 years ago I could have picked them up around $10-12 a deckset, now in town it's about that per card.

Piledriver, Lackey, and Sharpshooter (if you use it) are the only money cards in goblins. If you ditch these as playsets, you may as well do a "bulk Goblin" auction for the remaining ones, as a "cheap-mans Goblins deck". They won't get you money on their own, as the only real valuable goblin left is Warchief, and FNM foils of them has tarnished their value a bit as well.

Keep the Taiga's or trade them straight across for blue based duals. If you happen to find someone dumb enough wanting to trade for Undergrounds or Tundras, all the better (it can happen, I have done it a few times with luck). You can trade those down and complete a good chunk of TES with a deckset of those alone. Same with the Fetchlands, Delta and Strand are hand over fist better than the other 3 as far as money is concerned, just see if you can find people to trade up to, rather than even.

Vials I would say are iffy. Extended rotation is coming up, so they won't have a big use there anymore with Goblins and Affinity basically being dead after it. Not really sure about the other formats, last I checked Fish on occasions used Vial in Vintage, but it's been on a steady decline in use, and you may not even play Vintage.

I've flipped cards on Ebay for years now, and I've found that parting it out is always the best idea. Your chances of having a few decksets be hit by a bid war are much greater than the deck itself being bid up by more than a few people. If you plan on trading, be patient, and try to find the best deals you can. The market is completely cutthroat, so trading with shops is probably the absolute last thing you want to do.

kicks_422
08-19-2007, 12:05 PM
You'll still be able to build TES without selling off your duals and fetches. That deck is relatively cheap compared to the norm for Legacy decks (last time I checked, TES was worth around $200-250... most decks are around $300-350, not including pimpage of course).

Bryant Cook
08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Now that TES is packing Orim's Chant it's worth about $300.00 give or take. You could play Xantid Swarm.

Jak
08-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Nah man, I didn't think it took you two full years :D

I remember you first posting on SCG last summer asking what deck to make.

But shenanigans aside, patience, and in the end you'll be glad because you'll have all the cards for all the decks.

Lol. I think it was here, but I had mono red gobs then. After that I aquired Taigas and made it Rg, so I have been playing Rg gobs for about a year and regualr gobs for longer.

I doubt I will get tired of TES, just because of the fact that I do have other decks. But when everytime I would play, I would never pick up Goblins. I thought I might get some cash from it and build another deck.

I am really thinking about it now though. I might do this.

Sell:
4 Rishadan Port
4 Aether Vial
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Goblin Piledriver
3 Mogg Fanatic
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Matron
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Goblin Ringleader
3 Siege-Gang Commander

This way I keep the Taigas, Wastelands, and 6 fetches. Now, I don't like selling all the cards seperately. But I could probably make a mono red goblin deck and sell it. Just fill it in with Goblin Tinkerer, Mountains, and Goblin Burrows. Now, how much should I list for BIN? It would be with sleaves and some stuff like 2 Goblin Sharpshooetrs, 1 Goblin Pyromancer, 1 Kiki Jiki, 2 Skirk Fire Marshall, and 3 Ib, Halfhearts. Maybe I could throw in some more uncommon and commmon gobs. Like 4 Goblin Sledder, 4 Skirk Prospector, 2 Goblin Vandal, 4 Mogg Flunkies, 1 Sparksmith, 4 Mogg War Marshall, and 2 Goblin Recruiter. So a ton of goblins. Maybe $200? Because that would be amazing.

Jak
08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Okay, so I am setting up the auction right now. I have decided to go all out. I know some of you wanted me to keep the staples and so do I, but when it will help me build a deck and if I get enough, help me finish another is something that I just want to do. I am not trying to be impatient, but I do want to play with the deck. So just one more question.

Has anyone done the thing where you say "if you BIN, I will throw in these cards...". I might do that with the additional goblin cards I have. So what should I have the BIN at. $400? Too high? Ideas?

Shriekmaw
08-19-2007, 08:22 PM
I believe this sums up what the other posts have already mentioned. If you want to get the most amount of money then start selling off the pieces of your deck as play sets. The worse thing to do is by trying to sell the deck as a whole when individuals may only want specific cards in the deck.

Good luck to you and hope everything goes well.

kicks_422
08-20-2007, 01:24 AM
I think $400 is about right, considering all the throw-ins and the effort it would take to purchase all those playsets one by one.

If only I didn't spend all my money on an electric guitar, I would have purchased that deck... I kind of miss playing aggro... :tongue:

FoolofaTook
08-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Selling the Taigas is probably like taking a loan at high interest rates unless you plan to give up Magic completely somewhere soon down the road.

You'll get $80-$100 for them now if you're lucky and pay $100-$120 to reacquire them in a year if you decide to play a R/G deck of some sort that uses them.

I've been lucky (mostly) in what I chose to sell and keep when I left Magic the last time in the late 90's, however I will forever regret selling my 4 Juzam's for $100 and my 3 "extra" Berserks for $50. I'll not get into the Black Lotuses I let go because I have no interest in playing Vintage at this point and so I'll never reacquire them. I did lose about $3,000 on the decision though.

Jak
08-20-2007, 04:33 AM
So I decided instead to sell them all seperately. The auctions are all up and here are the links.

Taiga
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-MtG-4-NM-Revised-Taiga_W0QQitemZ260151350090QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Bloodstained Mire
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-2-NM-Bloodstained-Mire-MtG-Fetches_W0QQitemZ260151361960QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Rishadan Port
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-NM-Rishadan-Port-MtG_W0QQitemZ260151364757QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Aether Vial
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-Aether-Vial-MtG-Good-Condition_W0QQitemZ260151366193QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Wasteland
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-Wasteland-MtG_W0QQitemZ260151365287QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Goblin Lackey
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-NM-Goblin-Lackey_W0QQitemZ260151366847QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Goblin Piledriver
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-Goblin-Piledriver-MtG_W0QQitemZ260151368638QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Goblin Warchief
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-NM-Goblin-Warchief-MtG_W0QQitemZ260151371434QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Goblin Ringleader
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-4-NM-Goblin-Ringleader-MtG_W0QQitemZ260151371895QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Siege-Gang Commander
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-3-NM-Siege-Gang-Commander_W0QQitemZ260151374810QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Rest of the Goblins
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-the-Gathering-Lot-of-Goblin-Cards-MtG-a-lot-NM_W0QQitemZ260151377032QQihZ016QQcategoryZ19113QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am really pissed though. I was listing the 4 Wooded Foothills and forgot to erase the existing BIN price from the Mires. They were bought for $25. I was pissed, so I sent the guy a message asking him if he would retract and be a nice guy. No word. I wouldn't blame him if he kept them, but I really am mad at myself. So hope people bid on them.

@Kicks
It would of been great if you would of bought it. At least I know you wouldn't of or I would of been sad because I would have gotten the sale.

Hopefully I get enough.

mikekelley
08-20-2007, 05:29 AM
If you listened to me when I said not to sell the Mires, that wouldn't be an issue

:wink wink:

Just kidding, but good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Jak
08-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Well it was the foothills anyway. So I gave a dude a playset for 25 bucks. Right after I listed it I yelle dout fuck and was going to try and do something about it. It was bought in about 3 minutes. I hope the guy is nice though. Because I don't like losing 35 dollars because I am stupid.

Thanks guys and please bid. :cool:

mikekelley
08-20-2007, 05:49 AM
I am pretty sure there is a way to cancel bids or something. Not sure about BINs, but I know I've cancelled winning bids from people with 0 feedback or deadbeat buyers with no repercussions to my feedback.

Jak
08-20-2007, 05:52 AM
How would you cancel bids? I am new to selling.

DeathwingZERO
08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
It's somewhere in your profile options, for the "sold auctions". Pretty much all you need to do is cancel the bid, and set up the new auction.

If the guy gets bitchy about it, worst case scenario is you get a negative feedback, and you can do the same to him in retaliation. There's not much else that can be done at that point. Ebay has a very "hands off" approach to the auctions and feedback system.

Personally, it's up to you whether or not that money is worth a negative to your feedback, if the guy threatens it. You can always warn that the same would happen to them, that's saved me a few times. I've gotten hit by bastards a couple of times now for having legitimate reasons for not shipping or not purchasing on completed items. Luckily, two of the three are no longer registered users, so that should say something about them. Still, a tarnished reputation still sucks.

Bryant Cook
08-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Ebay what a beautiful thing...

Jak
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Well since I asked him nicely, he sent a reply saying that it was not a problem, so I am pretty happy. I just need to leave good feedback.

Well, what should I do now. Do I have to still cancel it or can I just relist? I also could not find the cancel bid in My eBay. I guess it is different if they buy it now.

Edit- Found it. Oh and international shipping? This guy wants to buy a lot, but lives in australia. Thoughts?

Edit2- Doesn't let you cancel bids once the item is closed. So what would I need to do.

kicks_422
08-21-2007, 07:41 AM
It's fine then. No need to cancel the bid, just leave the guy good feedback and it's all good. Just relist the Foothills after.

Regarding international shipping, you HAVE to send registered, so make sure that the bidder can pay for that. It's really unsafe to send unregistered to some countries... I've experienced a lot of lost mail for me over at MOTL because of people who refuse to send registered.

Oh, and if you decided to sell the deck just a couple of weeks earlier, I would have bought it... LOL... :tongue: Oh well, there a lot of other buyers out there anyway.

Jak
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks kicks for all the help. Will ask the guy if he is willing to go for registered.

DarkAkuma
08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Lol. Good to see im not the only one getting sick of Goblins, I too am trying to sell off my Goblins deck, but i'm keeping the lands, vials, fanatics and sideboard. I should be getting $150 for the Lackeys, Piledrivers, SGC's, Ringleaders, Warchiefs, Matrons, and Gempalms. It was a price i came up with off the top of my head when asked by someone interested, and he was still interested. I should hopefully make the sale this weekend. The money will be going right into my bank account, and will then be going torwards some tundras and trops on ebay.

And i agree with everyone else. You should have kept the non-goblins, like me. My wastes get shifted around between all sorts of different decks. Vials are nice to have in several decks. A playset of fetches are just a "must" for any serious legacy player. Ports may have some use in other decks here and there. And well, dual lands are dual lands...

Jak
08-21-2007, 07:09 PM
I wanted to keep the lands, but they are not in any of my other decks and I would rather trade them in for staples like Burning Wish and LED. But anyways, if anybody wants any of the cards BID!!!

Weekend Daddy
08-21-2007, 08:07 PM
hey, if you're willing to wait until October. I'll be selling off my 43 lands, Solidarity, and Burn decks.

Jak
08-21-2007, 08:17 PM
hey, if you're willing to wait until October. I'll be selling off my 43 lands, Solidarity, and Burn decks.

Huh? Was that meant at me because I already have the auctions up. I f not I feel stupid.

Weekend Daddy
08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Huh? Was that meant at me because I already have the auctions up. I f not I feel stupid.

It can be. I just REALLY want to get rid of all my decks and replace them with money.

Jak
08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Well I can't wait, since I have them listed already. :frown:

DeathwingZERO
08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
I think he meant if your willing to wait to BUY a new deck. You were saying you wanted to build something new with that money.

Good to hear about the buyer of the Foothills, that's a pretty uncommon thing from Magic buyers on ebay. Good luck on the rest of it, I know how hair-raising it feels putting up things and having to watch their prices daily.

@DarkAkuma: Damn, that's a good amount of money for those. Just doing some math in my head and I'm putting it around $50 over what I'd see those get. Nice job! I was that lucky when I ditched my Goblin deck, because it was right at the rise of 1.x Goblins, after the B&R split killed Food Chain Gobbos.

Jak
08-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh, okay. But I already know what I am going to buy. Hopefully I can get enough. And yes am am checking them like every 30 minutes. :cry: . Gets me nervous thinking I might lose money or something. I think it will work out though.

DeathwingZERO
08-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Shady tactic, but one commonly used, is to monitor auctions with a friends account, and bid up things that won't reach the BIN or what you believe "reserve" price is. It's terribly underhanded, but so is sniping an auction with no bids before it closes JUST to get it before the seller preemptively closes it.

Jak
08-23-2007, 12:15 AM
I actually thought about that. I might try and do it to get the duals, fetches, etc, so they don't go for so low. I would hate to not make at least $200. But they are all being bid on pretty good right now. If they don't get up there, I may do that.