PDA

View Full Version : My First Legacy Deck

Chaz_the_hunter
08-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I need to build a Legacy deck, 'cause my local store has about 2 people playin extended right now (I love extended, mostly because I <3 Torment, but every Torment suxxors in Legacy). I think I got enough of a collection to sell all my junk to the standard players and get a legacy deck, but I got monies if I need it....

But what should I build? I've always been more of a combo/Control player, usually using something black or blue to play. (IE Balthor Combo-y stuffs, Celaphid Breakfast etc) so I think I wanna play something along those lines. I hear about Brain Freeze, but everyone here hates that deck and there's already 3 ppl who play it I think. Is there a good combo or control deck that isn't that brain freeze thing? Should I play something aggro cause control suxx? should I just stick with trying to stop gaea's might and affinity crap?

Help Me!!!

The Rack
08-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Here's a few control decks:
Satx-the use iof powerful artifacts combined to create hard locks on opponents
Landstill-the abuse of manlands and standstill, bluebased usually with crucible and UW or 4 color variants.

COmbo
Cephalid Breakfast-its now very ood in Legacy and theres a thread in the Open Legacy section I believe
TES/SI/Solidarity-all combo decks using storm, the first two are very explosive with solidarity being a little slower and more consistent.

All the decks are somewhere on these boards, just wanted to help you out!

Bovinious
08-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Ichorid Combo is also an option, especially if you like Torment. Theres a thread in the established decks forum, and the deck is also pretty cheap to build.

xsockmonkeyx
08-21-2007, 01:30 AM
With legacy start with either Goblins or Threshold.

Goblins is aggro-combo-control and is relatively cheap to put together. Plus its a really good deck that will be around for a while which makes it a good investment.

Threshhold is crazy good right now but relatively expensive. Buying Thesh is also a good imvestment because it contains many staples of the format which you can use in other decks (Force, Swords to Plow, Lightning Bolt, Duals, Fetchs, Goyfs, etc.)

SuckerPunch
08-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Legacy does fluctuate despite the misconceptions that it doesn't. The one archeatype that I think will be a constant in the format is aggro control so Threshold and Fairie Stompy are great investments.

If you have the money, and you need money as both decks are very expensive, you should opt for either one.

If you don't want to blow a large wad of cash on the format but still want to play something good and fun, that has and likely will also always be a constant in legacy, but mainly in the tier 1.5 or so, I recommenend Suicide Black.

Here is a useful thread to look through...
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3451

Another very cheap but very competitive deck is Affinity. Here's what I did, I bought a playset of all the commons from Mirrodan Block for about $22 on ebay. That gave me a good chunk of Affinity's creatures along with all the artifact lands. Buying the remaining uncommons costed me another $8 or so. And the Ravagers costed me $20.

There you go, a very competitive legacy deck for $50. This was a while ago. Right now, it would probably cost you around $70 to build the same deck. But that's still the cheapest competitive legacy deck you can hope for.

And it's legal in extended too as far as I know.

The thing with affinity is, it gets boring fast.

Green Death is also cool. Goyf is such an awesome monster and will likely stay that way forever.

lukatron2
08-25-2007, 01:46 AM
If you don't want to spend too much money but you still want to play a very competative/good deck. Here are two decks that are very solid/competative yet very affordable in legacy.

1) Mono Green Stompy
2) Affinity

you could build both of them for under $60 no problem. If cost isn't really a problem then proxy some of your top choices and play them for a while. Then buy what you need.

If you need decklists I can give them to you.
Good luck man. Welcome to Legacy :D

-Tron

Pale Moon FTW
08-25-2007, 10:32 AM
If your spending limit is so low that you have to choose between Mono Green Stompy and Affinity, build Affinity. Mono Green Stompy is a glass cannon for control-heavy metas, it doesn't do well in the average meta.
If your spending limit is higher but still below $200, I recommend Zilla Stompy or Angel Stompy as stable aggro decks.
If it's a little higher you can look into some of the big combo decks like TES (I really wouldn't recommend this as a first deck though, as it's very hard to play), CRET Belcher (Pretty easy and straightforward, but maybe a little boring) or Cephalid Breakfast. Mono Red Goblins is also near this price level.
If it's $500 you can invest in 4C Landstill or ******** Control. These are both very strong control decks (well, ***** is aggro-control) that will add a lot of useful card like blue duals, Force of Will and Sword to Plowshares to your collection. This is also why I think you shouldn't play Faerie Stompy, because Sea Drakes are at the same price as duals while they can only be used in this single deck.

from Cairo
08-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Deck Values

I would put Cephalid Breakfast in the high bracket w/ Landstill and Thresh. It plays all the same money cards Thresh does: 9 Blue Duals, 8 Fetches, 4 FoW, 4 Tarmogoyf... and then similar valued commons and uncommons: Brainstorms/Portents- just difference is 12ish Combo pieces, Cabal Therapies, Tutors and Aether Vials... vs. Mongeese, Swords to Plowshares/Bolts, and various common/uncommon cantrips.

Di
08-25-2007, 05:15 PM
The one archeatype that I think will be a constant in the format is aggro control so Threshold and Fairie Stompy are great investments.

Saying Faerie Stompy is a great investment is ridiculous. Not to bash the deck, but for something that costs so much, it very rarely places in larger events, mulligans like crazy, and doesn't have a strong matchup against a decent portion of the field. Instead of spending money of stuff like Sea Drakes, you're much better off buying Tarmogoyfs, fetchlands, and dual lands.

If you're looking to jump into Legacy, the best decks for the cheapest prices include Goblins, TES, Belcher, or Threshold. Belcher is incredibly cheap to build and easy to play, so that's probably the best bet, and TES isn't too far behind in that department. I listed Goblins and Threshold despite their fetchland/dual land expenses because despite those price tags, those cards are pretty much worth having regardless if you wish to play competitively. Cephalid Breakfast could be mentioned, but being 4c it runs a higher count of dual lands and fetchlands than Threshold, thus making it at least $50 more expensive.

Iranon
08-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Affinity is definitely worth a look... but the cards are useful for very little else. On the plus side, it's very malleable.
Usually it's solid and straightforward Aggro, but you can emphasise the combo finish, add countermagic or even lock pieces a la Chalice and Tangle Wire.

Burn is cheap as well, if somewhat uninteresting, and the cards that aren't dirt cheap anyway will find their home in other decks.

Neither is what you're looking for, but they're worth a look for a second choice if you haven't blown your budget.

Fast combo is more expensive, but the artifact mana is a major part of it and will be the biggest chunk of all decks of the kind, so that might be your best option. Spanish Inquisition is utterly ridiculous and would be my recommendation if you want sheer speed and power, however, all variants have at least one glaring vulnerability.

Control decks are ludicrously expensive or glass cannons.

FoolofaTook
08-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Play Goblins. It's pretty cheap to put together and it's losing favor fast as combo begins to penetrate the top 8's and Tarmogoyf takes off.

Seriously, I think Goblins is still going to be pretty successful and as a new player it will probably take you farther than you'd think.