PDA

View Full Version : Ascendants' Enchantment Status

Sanguine Voyeur
08-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I have a few questions about the flip-into-enchantment ascendants;

Are they both enchantments and creatures when not in play?
– Specifically, how does a dead ascendant affect Tarmogoyf?
– Can I Enlightened Tutor for an ascendant?
– If so, what happens when I use Enduring Ideal to put one into play?

What is the converted mana cost when flipped?

Nihil Credo
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
The "flipped" side is completely ignored when the card is not in play. Nezumi Shortfang can't be searched with Captain Sisay, and Erayo, Soratami Ascendant can't be fetched with Enduring Ideal. Likewise, they only count as creatures for the purpose of Tarmogoyf.

Their converted mana cost when flipped is the same as the unflipped CMC, like all information that is not specifically altered (name, type line, P/T, and rules text).

Sanguine Voyeur
08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Ok, thanks. I wasn't positive and the Tarmogoyf situation kept coming up.

cdr
08-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Not like it isn't right in the rules:

508.2. In every zone other than the in-play zone, and also in the in-play zone before the permanent flips, a flip card has only the normal characteristics of the permanent. Once the flip permanent in the in-play zone is flipped, the normal name, text box, type line, power, and toughness of the flip permanent don't apply and the alternative versions of those characteristics apply instead.

Example: Akki Lavarunner is a nonlegendary creature that flips into a legendary creature named Tok-Tok, Volcano Born. An effect that says "search for library for a legendary card" can't find this flip card.