PDA

View Full Version : [Card Discussion] - Ritual of the Machine

Xurcks
08-27-2007, 11:14 PM
http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?name=ritual%20of%20the%20machine
Now that the format is crawling with goyfs here and there,could black decks use this card as an answer to goyf?I think stealing it using an early and smaller creature instead of just removing it could be nice.Could this card see use in any decks or is it too slow?
Just my 2 cents
Discuss it people ^^

SuckerPunch
08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Just play the best color in magic, blue, and run either Control Magic or Veldalken Shackles.

Black decks are better off splashing green, plue black has Smother.

TheAardvark
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Just play the best color in magic, blue, and run either Control Magic or Veldalken Shackles.

Or Threads of Disloyalty, although Shackles would theoretically be better.

Or just Plow the bitch.

FakeSpam
08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Black has about fifty answers to that guy.

Um.. Smother, Terror, Dark Banishing, Seal of Doom, Vendetta, Devour in Shadow, Distopia, Deathmark, Perish, Innocent Blood, Chainers Edict, Cruel Edict, Diabolic Edict, Damnation, Dregs of Sorrow, Skinthinner, Assasinate, Disembowel, Pox, Smallpox, Death Cloud, Feast or Famine, and Phthisis... That's off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure I missed a few others.

Xurcks
08-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Yeah...there are lots of answers to it..just thought it would be funny to steal an opposing goyf running a monoblack deck,just for style points you know xD

Tacosnape
08-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, to actually give an intelligent answer that doesn't amount to "Play a different color instead," here's why Ritual of the Machine is bad.

The top deck for Tarmogoyf is Threshold, period. The second top deck for it is probably Cephalid Breakfast. Both of these decks run Force of Will and other counters.

If your Ritual of the Machine gets countered, you're in a lot of trouble.

But yeah, I agree with Fakespam. There are better answers to Tarmogoyf in Black. There aren't really any good answers to Tarmogoyf in Black, but there are better ones.

Xurcks
08-28-2007, 12:32 AM
You're right Tacosnape,i will just leave it to use in casual decks or the like
Thank you all for the tips people ^^

FoolofaTook
08-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Ritual of the Machine also requires a creature sacrifice at the time you cast it. That makes it a two for one and very hinky at times.

It does resolve the problem of losing your capture to a disenchant or other enchantment removal but the sacrifice makes it expensive.

For casual decks its a lot of fun and a real answer though. I have a mono-black regenerator deck that uses it to grab the big nasty tramplers that cause problems for that theme.

Happy Gilmore
08-28-2007, 01:43 AM
I think you would be better off using Dystopia.