PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Masters Edition Update

TheCramp
08-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Do any of these changes effect anything in legacy at all?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/420a

Is there any relevance to all these critters becoming human? Black knight, erg raiders along with dark confidant and shadowmage infiltrator are all humans now.

Cover of Darkness as a side board option? (if you don't have to compromise on the quality of your attackers, is a card that gives all of them fear worth it?) or Coat of Arms?

My guess is that those ideas are crap, and this has no relevant effect at all.

Also, my casual Living Death deck got nerfed. Messing with eater of the dead... The nerve!

Ewokslayer
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Also, my casual Living Death deck got nerfed. Messing with eater of the dead... The nerve!

Eater of the Dead really hasn't changed. It currently can't eat through a graveyard at once.

If Eater of the Dead is tapped, untap it and remove target creature card in a graveyard from the game.

Nightmare
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Eater of the Dead really hasn't changed. It currently can't eat through a graveyard at once.
It hasn't been updated yet. It will say:

Untap Eater of the Dead: Remove target creature card in a graveyard from the game.

Bovinious
08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
All the did was clean up the wording to cost:effect, rather than 0: if...then..., Eater couldnt eat yards before this change and wont be able to after.

All of these changes seem pretty insignificant unless someone was using Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead/Necromancy to get back an Akroma, theyll be out of luck now apparently.

Illissius
08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Eater of the Dead combos with Flame Fusilade now, if anyone cares.

Dragon Wurms > you

Nightmare
08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Dragon Wurms > you
I alluded to it. You said it. Stop spoiling all the tech!

Seems ok.

Bovinious
08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Its only a combo for as many creatures are in the 'yard, right?

Nightmare
08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Its only a combo for as many creatures are in the 'yard, right?

Wrong.

Bovinious
08-30-2007, 01:06 PM
So you activate a bunch targetting the same creature? You'd still need 1 creature in yard if thats the case.

Nightmare
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
So you activate a bunch targetting the same creature? You'd still need 1 creature in yard if thats the case.Correct. You need at least 1 creature in a graveyard for this to work.

TheCramp
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM

*stops moving torch twords funeral pyre, beladen with weather-worn playset of eaters of the dead, stream of tears running down face*

No teasing, never in my wildest dreams... Even if its tire two... or eight. Honest to god respectable eaters of the dead deck...

(they are why I started playing... for those that are wondering.)

No fucking way.

Ewokslayer
08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
It also combos with Arcane Teachings, Hermetic Study, Psionic Gift, etc

Xero
08-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I alluded to it. You said it. Stop spoiling all the tech!

Seems ok.

Too bad it costs 7:b: :r: and is stopped by half the played cards in the format.

Nightmare
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Too bad it costs 7:b: :r: and is stopped by half the played cards in the format.Because there's no way to make things cheaper in this format....

Sanguine Voyeur
08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Because there's no way to make things cheaper in this format.......Or accelerate in red or black, you either have to splash green or wait for turn nine.

APriestOfGix
08-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Because there's no way to make things cheaper in this format....

Plus it hoses Ichorid, gives Tarmogoyf -1/-1 and kills off recuring Nightmare combos, kills Surivial, Breakfast, and SO much more...

I'm actually working on a list now...

Collest deck EVER!

Ewokslayer
08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Plus it hoses Ichorid, gives Tarmogoyf -1/-1 and kills off recuring Nightmare combos, kills Surivial, Breakfast, and SO much more...

I'm actually working on a list now...

Collest deck EVER!

If you go with Blue you can run Force and Brainstorm.

center425
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Bad news

Well, this turned out to be not as streamlined as I thought. I completely missed the massive functional change this new wording would have in interactions with effects that allowed you to tap Eater of the Dead for some effect (such as Flame Fusillade or Fire Whip): you could go infinite by targeting the same creature card in a graveyard over and over as you played the two abilities in response to one another. So this proposed errata simply won¹t happen, and Eater of the Dead will keep its current wording. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out!

An update in the article.

Zilla
08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Your combo is dead:

Well, this turned out to be not as streamlined as I thought. I completely missed the massive functional change this new wording would have in interactions with effects that allowed you to tap Eater of the Dead (javascript:autoCardWindow('Eater_of_the_Dead')) for some effect (such as Flame Fusillade (javascript:autoCardWindow('Flame_Fusillade')) or Fire Whip (javascript:autoCardWindow('Fire_Whip'))): you could go infinite by targeting the same creature card in a graveyard over and over as you played the two abilities in response to one another. So this proposed errata simply wonąt happen, and Eater of the Dead (javascript:autoCardWindow('Eater_of_the_Dead')) will keep its current wording. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out!

Cait_Sith
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Great, NOW he starts listening to us. Better late than never.

Ewokslayer
08-30-2007, 03:51 PM
frowntown :frown:

Apparently Eater of the Dead will continue to suck.

My Flame Fusillade will continue to be worthless

Sanguine Voyeur
08-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, this turned out to be not as streamlined as I thought. I completely missed the massive functional change this new wording would have in interactions with effects that allowed you to tap Eater of the Dead for some effect (such as Flame Fusillade or Fire Whip): you could go infinite by targeting the same creature card in a graveyard over and over as you played the two abilities in response to one another. So this proposed errata simply wonąt happen, and Eater of the Dead will keep its current wording. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out!
Well, this turned out to be not as streamlined as I thought. I completely missed the massive functional change this new wording would have in interactions with effects that allowed you to tap Eater of the Dead for some effect (such as Flame Fusillade or Fire Whip): you could go infinite by targeting the same creature card in a graveyard over and over as you played the two abilities in response to one another. So this proposed errata simply wonąt happen, and Eater of the Dead will keep its current wording. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out!That's a little weird. Copy + paste for the win.

It is interesting/nice to know that the people who control the rules read this forum.

center425
08-30-2007, 04:00 PM
That's a little weird. Copy + paste for the win.

It is interesting/nice to know that the people who control the rules read this forum.

Umm I quoted the article.

Nihil Credo
08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Eater of the Dead + Hermetic Study, assuming we're using Shallow Grave and the like, would still have been strictly worse than Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity (one less mana, doesn't require a target creature card in graveyard, Niv-Mizzet is actually decent on its own).

Di
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
So..a combo that does win the game immediately with a slight requirement is strictly worse than one that wins the game like 4-5 turns from then? Color me puzzled.

TheCramp
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
*lights pyre*

Barook
08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
To come back to the original question of the thread:

I think that this creature type update is bad because they're adding "Human" to all kind of things. Wizards is already whining that the Tribal format on Modo is dominated by the Human Tribe (which is quite logical considering you can play a normal deck when they slap "Human" on basically every creature) and that this is the reason why there are gonna be no Humans in Lorwyn.

However, it's gonna be far worse once they're doing the major overhaul for all creature cards in the near future and Humans will be everywhere. E Plague much?