PDA

View Full Version : [Card] Wasteland

Finn
08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Forgive me for not researching this on my own. Well, I suppose this is research. Anyway, has anyone else noticed that all of the top8 from Gencon had Wastelands except for the Ichy deck, which hardly had land at all?

I would not have expected this, as it does not seem to be especially useful at the moment. It does little to any of the combo decks, is not especially good against aggor, and control is still having a time finding its legs. I have always felt that it was not very good against Thresh on its own, either. That, is, you need more than Wasteland to keep them off their mana in most games. So what gives? Is this s fluke, or does it make any sense?

TrialByFire
08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Wasteland is pretty good against combo (at least like Iggy and TPS), if you can slow them down then Wasteland their lands, usually you have enough time to recover and get a clock out. Wasteland is also very useful against lands with reuseable effects, Port, Karakas, Academy Ruins, etc. And also lets not discount the fact that sometimes people are dumb and keep risky hands, Wasteland on their turn 1 land might just win you the game. I play 4 in every deck I make.

zulander
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I keep hearing that wasteland isn't being played anymore. Maybe the correct way of saying this is "wasteland isn't being played much in the combo decks I keep seeing."

Di
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Anyway, has anyone else noticed that all of the top8 from Gencon had Wastelands except for the Ichy deck, which hardly had land at all?

There was a Cephalid Breakfast and Threshold list that did not run Wasteland. Still 5/8 is pretty good.

Wasteland is getting incredibly stronger currently due to a rise in Threshold, Breakfast, and Landstill decks. It's confusing to me how Goblins is on the decline when it is ripe for the metagame. The Tarmogoyf issue is simple: splash white or black, and run Swords or Smother. Problem solved.

Cait_Sith
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
The problem is that Goblins NEVER had a good Mu vs Red Thresh and it was marginally good vs White Thresh.

For Goblins to be playable now it has become imperative to splash black for Leyline, Smother, and Cabal Therapy.

Finn
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
There was a Cephalid Breakfast and Threshold list that did not run Wasteland. Still 5/8 is pretty good
Hell, you are right. ...pounds head...

Bryant Cook
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Wasteland is very bad against combo, whoever said otherwise is wrong. Belcher as well as TES could care less 80% of the time.

bigbear102
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
It's bad against those decks, but Breakfast can definitely get screwed by Waste.

Personally, I have played Wasteland in every deck lately (except survival, hard to fit there). It seems to me that it never really got less powerful. It took out ports and splashes against goblins, landstill never went away in cuse, and even if it wasn't the end all against thresh it usually slows them down a bit.

Illissius
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
It's a pendulum effect. Goblins, and along with it, Wasteland, declined, and people got lax with their mana bases, which made Wasteland better, so people started playing it again. Next, people will make their mana bases more resilient again, and maybe Wasteland will dip a little in popularity. And so on. The fact that it produces mana in the worst case while occasionally stealing games is not to be taken lightly, either.

In Threshold specifically, with the stronger aggression from Tarmogoyf, Wasteland+Stifle is their analogue to Goblins' Wasteland+Port, and it's quite formidable -- even more so when you have a cantrip engine to dig up more, which Goblins didn't have. You'll notice that out of the Threshold decks in the top 32, three of them ran Wasteland, and all three were in the top 8.

Versus
09-01-2007, 07:13 AM
It seems to me that Wasteland is something of a Boogey Man these days. Outposts, Cradles, Glaciers, and Villages are some of my favorite cards to play and they seem to be desolate in Legacy. I know it's not because of their lack of power, so it must be due to WL. It's a shame really.