PDA

View Full Version : [Card] Veteran Explorer

Xenocide
09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I bet you're gonna have to look this card up: Veteran Explorer.
But just to help you out, here's the Oracle text:

When Veteran Explorer is put into a graveyard from play, each player may search his or her library for up to two basic land cards and put them into play. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.

Yes, this card is janky, but I was wondering if it could be used effectively? Maybe in a Survival or rock type deck. I thought it had good synergy with Cabal Therapy, and is a good T1 blocker that you want to die. The only trick is, is that you need to be able to abuse the land that you get better than your opponent can.

barron
09-06-2007, 04:28 AM
I remember trying to make something with that card way back in the day. I think is still has some potential, somewhere, but really the only definite advantage i could see would be to abuse the rise of threshold and fast combo as a meta. Those decks don't run 2 basics, but i think that abuse would be over fast since the meta seems to be changing real quickly, but thanks for reminding me about the card...it's been a while

troopatroop
09-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I remember trying to make something with that card way back in the day. I think is still has some potential, somewhere, but really the only definite advantage i could see would be to abuse the rise of threshold and fast combo as a meta. Those decks don't run 2 basics, but i think that abuse would be over fast since the meta seems to be changing real quickly, but thanks for reminding me about the card...it's been a while

Yavimaya Elder.

Afro
09-06-2007, 08:08 PM
The only deck I've seen this played in was Kobold Clamp. Once skullclamp left the format so did this card.

Tacosnape
09-07-2007, 12:55 AM
I played this for awhile in a multiplayer deck with Pygmy Hippo, Copperhoof Vorrac, Darksteel Gargoyle, and Worldslayer.

That said, it could be feasible if you are guaranteed to have a way to abuse the extra mana more than the opponent, or if your opponent runs no basic lands.

sammiel
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
actually, I'll be playtesting it in a list i've been kicking around instead of yavimaya elder. Many combo decks are pretty light on or run no basics, aggro and aggro control can't use the mana as effectively as a heavier control deck could. The only place it would suck would be the control matchup.