PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Cheap Combo deck.

DragoFireheart
09-08-2007, 02:34 AM
I want to throw together a Combo deck that goldfishes on a regualy basis and is cheap $ wise to build.

Meekrab
09-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Prosbloom with Tendrils as the kill. Should cost about $10.

DragoFireheart
09-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Prosbloom with Tendrils as the kill. Should cost about $10.

Do you have the decklist or a link to the deck?

DeathwingZERO
09-08-2007, 03:54 AM
It's a terrible idea, don't bother with it, lol. Against control decks, you would never want to cast Prosperity, as it just hands them the answers they need to win, and if your running it, you might as well use that as the win condition.

The problem with the combo decks we have right now is that they can't be cheap, because they either play blue (requiring Fetches or Duals, sometimes FoW), protection spells (Chant is especially expensive right now), or artificial manabases like Chrome and LED.

In all fairness, I don't think I'd put any deck in the top tiers under $300 to create. While it may seem like a lot, these decks also tend to stick around major tournaments with a 6 month minimum on the showings. Some will fall off the radar for a while, but can come back after some tech has been found, or a new card puts it back up.

Nydaeli
09-08-2007, 03:55 AM
You can build Spring Tide (sorcery-speed High Tide combo) pretty cheap if you're willing to cut Force of Will. The only expensive cards in it would be fetch lands, which can possibly be cut too. I just threw together the following list, which runs no protection but typically wins on turn 3:

// Lands
12 Island
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand

// Creatures
4 Cloud of Faeries

// Spells
4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 High Tide
2 Think Twice
4 Accumulated Knowledge
2 Brain Freeze
2 Snap
4 Merchant Scroll
4 Ideas Unbound
2 Flash of Insight
2 Turnabout

DarkAkuma
09-08-2007, 04:30 AM
I supose it has to be said....

Fluctuator!

It's very cheap. Its quick. And believe it or not, you can acctualy win games with it. But in a tournament scene, you would only get like 1 week then the suprize factor wears off.

If your meta is mostly agro and combo, you should be fine pre board (and maybe post). I recemend playing Miscalculations maindeck, and you have a chance against agro control and control.

TheRock
09-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Spring Tide isn't that expensive to build if you want to go to the cheap route. However, you wouldn't be able to run fetchlands, Forces, or Wishes.

However, Ichorid isn't that much more expensive to build either, and I can GUARANTEE you that it is a very solid deck. The entire maindeck is approximately $100, and if you can get away with not running Pithing Needles and Platinum Angel in the sideboard, you can probably run a complete deck for about $110-$120.

As far as how much the cards will be worth if you want to sell them later on, then I wouldn't be the most reliable source, sorry.

As far as a budget Spring Tide list, then this would probably be a good starting point IMHO. Keep this in mind: I've done only a sprinkling of testing with this list since Ponder was spoiled to us only a few days ago, and while I'm nowhere near the best player in this format skill-wise, I think that it's good enough to play on a very small budget:

16 Islands

4 High Tide
4 Cloud of Faeries
3 Snap
4 Turnabout

4 Brainstorm
4 Serum Visions
4 Ponder (unless they change the name again, lol)
1 Sleight of Hand
4 Merchant Scroll
1 Mystical Tutor (could just be another SoH, a 4th Snap, or a Wipe Away, but I love this thing with Ponder and B-Storm)

4 Ideas Unbound
4 Meditate
1 Brain Freeze
1 Echoing Truth
1 Pongify

Unfortunately, you are definitely going to need a Stroke of Genius and cards like Tormod's Crypt/Stifle/BEB for your sideboard, but this deck should cost you right around $25-$28 to build.

This is my two cents and I hope that it is useful and helpful to everyone.