PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Dreadnought

thefreakaccident
09-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I have found that I have a new fascination with the card phyrexian dreadnought ever since the errata was brought to my attention from my fellow sourcers.

It itself has been used in a couple of decks recently that have taken first at my local tourney for 2 weeks in a row (I plan to continue this, by beating out the other dreadnought deck).

It is twice the size of a large Tarmogoyf (tarmos are usually 4/5s and sometimes become 5/6s... very rarely become 6/7s). It comes out as quickly as goyf and has trample... unlike goyf it itself is a 2 turn clock.

The decks that run it inherently have good combo MUs (due to free counters and stifle affects), and are usually very resilient due to protection and tutoring.

The real question is why isn't dreadnought becoming more popular than it is?

Sanguine Voyeur
09-08-2007, 07:44 PM
It's dead on its own, it needs Stifle/Trickbind or another Dreadnought to work. It will always be card disadvantage. It dies to any removal except burn.

Nihil Credo
09-08-2007, 08:27 PM
More reasons:

- Goyf encourages people to run non-burn removal
- Tin-Street Hooligan is still popular
- Engineered Explosives has become a staple
- Counterbalance has become a staple

SuckerPunch
09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
For all the reasons listed, a deck thats too dependent on being able to play and protect Dreadnought just is way too vulnerable. But a deck that's not dependent on it at all and just plays it as an afterthough works...

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6673

FoolofaTook
09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Dreadnought works very well in a deck with 4 Trinket Mages and 3 Stifles as part of the Trinket toolkit. The trick is only to play 1 Dreadnought and use it when you get the opportunity.

I've been doing fairly well with this:

B/U Weirding Control

4x Trinket Mage
4x Order of the Ebon Hand
1x Phyrexian Dreadnought
2x Engineered Explosives
1x Ivory Tower
1x The Rack
4x Duress
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Impulse
3x Stifle
3x Zur's Weirding
2x Echoing Truth
4x Dark Ritual
4x Wasteland
4x Polluted Delta
4x Underground Sea
7x Swamp
4x Island

Sideboard

4x Engineered Plague
3x Threads of Disloyalty
3x Cabal Therapy
3x Sinkhole
2x Tormod's Crypt

ClearSkies
09-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't forget that Aether Vial is a way to get pass its cost. (But requires 2 copies of Dreadnought instead of one)

If you don't understand what am I talking about. I mean play the first Dreadnought, and in response to the comes-into-play ability, use the Aether Vial to put a 2nd Dreadnought. Then sacrifice the first Dreadnought to the 2nd Dreadnought.