PDA

View Full Version : [Card] Planar Void

Barook
09-09-2007, 09:17 AM
http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/UZ/en-us/Card5608.jpg

How good is it in the current environment with the rise of Tarmogoyf and more graveyard-exploiting shenanigans?

Sure, it's not free and uncounterable like an opening hand Leyline of the Void and it also affects you, but it it also has its advantages. It's hardcastable with relative ease unlike LotV and it keeps Tarmogoyf at a small size which happens to run amok in the format right now.

So, is it worth it to run Planar Void as a Sb card in the current environment?

Sanguine Voyeur
09-09-2007, 09:28 AM
It is better then Leyline in black decks. It also can be better then Crypt aginst Breakfast due to Abeyance. It is worth it to side board it.

Peter_Rotten
09-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Planar Void is a SB card, no? And since our SB cards are often powerful enough that we generally want to see them in our opening hands, I must ask the following: would you prefer to see this or LotV in your opening hand? In other words, both Planar Void and Leyline have powerful effects; however, those effects are only powerful if those cards come in to play on the very early turns. Neither card will do a damn thing to a full graveyard. I feel it's better to have a free uncounterable card in your opening grip than a cheap, broad card.

Sanguine Voyeur
09-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Suppose Leyline is the top card on you library, you can't play that turn one without two Rituals or Ritual plus Lotus/Mox. In the case that you can't, Leyline is a dead card that could cost you the game.

Nihil Credo
09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
It has several pros (#1 of which is hosing 'Goyf), but the restrictions it poses cause me to only run it in Black-splash Goblins. Every other Black deck I have either needs its own graveyard (hence Leyline) or prefers to plan for the mid-long game/runs Nev's Disk effects (hence Extirpate).

In addition, it's worth noting that having a triggered ability instead of a replacement effect is a significant drawback. If Ichorid already has a few Bridges in its graveyard when you play it, it can still get several Zombie tokens; Life from the Loam can be used and recovered by sacrificing a cycling land.
Planar Void is also a lot easier to EE away.

FoolofaTook
09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Leylines of the Void works with Ill-Gotten Gains and this doesn't.

The other thing is that most GY combo kills somewhere between turn 2 and 5. Not sure how much time that gives you to find Planar Void if it's not in your opening hand.

It'll probably see use because it's a dirt cheap answer to GY recursion but its not as good as LotV in my opinion.

Quick question on the wording: can you do other hits the GY effects before the Planar Void effect? If so it's definitely inferior to LotV.