PDA

View Full Version : [Card Comparison] Masticore vs. Razormane Masticore?

blacklotus3636
09-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Conventional thinking tells us that Masticore is better than the newer "fixed" version of the old favorite but if you think about the two in terms of legacy then it becomes a much closer race. Its somewhat difficult to compare two cards easily even if they are similar if they have different manacosts but to be simplistic lets look at what each ability does in the current legacy environment.
First strike vs. Regeneration
In Extended or type 2 Regeneration would seem to be the stronger ability on a large creature but with swords being one of if not the most played removal spells in legacy then it makes you wonder how useful regeneration is. It also has the ability to regenerate from artifact destruction but the weapon of choice these days seems to be krosan grip which neuters regeneration. Then of course regeneration stops people from just burning him but then they just aim more of it at your head which would be a strong strategy against a creature that seems to just dominate when it hits. Regeneration is also good in combat of course but when you compare it to a first striking 5/5 creature killing razormane through combat damage seems almost as difficult as if it had regeneration except you don't have to pay mana to keep him alive.

3 Free damage vs. paying 2 for every 1 damage
3 free damage is nice but the fact that it only happens once a turn and only during the upkeep means its more limited in its use than masticore's ability. I think in this particular instance it depends on whether or not you can afford to make masticore's ability better than razormanes by sinking more mana into it.

4 mana vs. 5 mana
Again the answer to this question probably depends on the specific build of the deck you intend to use them. If you can pay 5 mana on the same turn you can pay 4 then you should probably look at it in terms of which cards makes certain matchups slightly better or worse

Restrictions
Masticore's abilities can sometimes cause problems if people who are playing against it know how to deal with it. Being able to play pithing needle on masticore can be problematic and with the increase in stifle's being played it can sometimes make a timely countered ability deadly. I remember one instance in particular where someone stifled the regeneration on masticore which lead to major frowns from across the table.

I'm not saying one is good and the other is bad I just feel that it should be looked into because of the current legacy environment. Any comments are appreciated

Nihil Credo
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Despite the similarities, they have radically different uses.

Newcore is an offensive card, pure and simple. It's not made to stay back and dominate the board... it's made to swing every turn, because anything with less than nine toughness will just chump-block it. Even once you're locked under its upkeep, there are lots of ways to get a use out of your five mana: manlands and Rishadan Ports come to mind. Or you can feed it with some recursive card and still get to play your threats.

Oldcore is much more defensive. For one, it is a six-drop most of the time. Then, it requires a fuckton of mana in order to actually dominate the board; if you can't kill a creature every turn, its best role is that of a 4/4 blocker, because it isn't going to outrace anyone by itself - pretty underwhelming. That means that without some insane mana engine like Rofellos or Cabal Coffers, you're just better off with a Spiritmonger, Magus of the Tabernacle or any other fatass that makes combat equally as unproductive, at a much lower cost.

It's pretty clear from the way I wrote which one I prefer, and it looks quite natural to me: if you're playing with card-disadvantage fatties, chances are you're aiming for the aggro role.

emidln
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Razorcore races and/or kills Thresh's men, Nantuko Shade, and various other fat things. It seems to me that killing thresh's creatures is significantly better than chumping one each turn.

Also, the upkeep of either one can be negated with the likes of Crucible of Worlds, Life from the Loam, or Goblin Welder.

troopatroop
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
The real question is, are either of them very good cards? I would be inclined to say no. Being that I can only see them in Survival, Masticore seems better. I guess you could play Razormane as some sort of "Man Plan" Sideboard manuever, but I probably wouldn't use it.

Sims
09-09-2007, 08:59 PM
RazorCore is the staple in aggressive 5/3 variants and in anything outside of Survival or an ELVES! deck that generates an assload of mana, I'd play Razorcore over Nastihore. That said, the uses for either are rather limited.

hi-val
09-09-2007, 10:30 PM
The use of Masticore over RMM in my mind would hinge on Aether Vial in the deck and the presence of lots of other 4cc beats. Back when I ran it in Survival, I went with Masticore because I wanted to ramp Vials to 4 and then not screw myself out of dropping other neat 4cc guys. That said, RMM looks all-around better.

I don't think there's a deck for it now but it's really good in Tron at least...

troopatroop
09-09-2007, 10:35 PM
The use of Masticore over RMM in my mind would hinge on Aether Vial in the deck and the presence of lots of other 4cc beats. Back when I ran it in Survival, I went with Masticore because I wanted to ramp Vials to 4 and then not screw myself out of dropping other neat 4cc guys. That said, RMM looks all-around better.

I don't think there's a deck for it now but it's really good in Tron at least...

Masticore is ALOT better in Tron. Oh yea... I've got 16 mana. Maybe I could use a sink for all that mana. Huh.

Nightmare
09-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I came up with the Razorcore SB Tech during Flash. It was pretty amazing. Flashing out Razorcore + Bodyguard was the sweet, sweet smell of victory laced with tech. What does Fish do? I'll tell you - it loses.

hi-val
09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Masticore is ALOT better in Tron. Oh yea... I've got 16 mana. Maybe I could use a sink for all that mana. Huh.

The thing is that it's not usually that situation that happens. To get the same 3 damage, you have to pay 6 mana from Masticore and you get a smaller body that tastes good to Werebears. Often, I found that you'd toss RMM down when you had exactly 5 mana and 1-2 turns to live. Trust me, if I had 16 mana in Tron, there would be much better things I'd be doing than machinegunning doods, things like infinite Slavering...