PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Why is Portent all of a sudden better than Serum Visions

Benie Bederios
09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Not that long ago, there was a discussion about the draw engine of Thresh. One was being Portent, Brainstorm, Serum Visions and Predict, the other was Brainstorm, Serum Visions and Mental Note. Now there is nothing wrong with that. There where some decks, who took a little bit of the Thresh cantrips for there decks. some examples are Meathooks, Hanni Fish and EBA. All of those played 4 Brainstorm and 4 Serum Visions.

Now with the Threshlists playing more Portent( wich is quite logic, if you play Predict) all those decks suddenly packs 4 Brainstorm and 4 Portent. Is this a trend, just because Portent is better in one specific deck, it's better in all decks?

This in not a discussion wich one is actually better, because it depends on the deck. But why do all those people change the Serum Visions to Portent all of a sudden? Just because someone said Portent is better? Or is there a card I missed that made Portent better.

(PS this dicussion is probably over after Ponder comes out, but I think you can replace Ponder with Portent in the text above)

BB

Lemuria
09-21-2007, 02:19 PM
There's already a discussion about this cantrips in the Ponder Thread

JACO
09-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I would rather play Portent because of the ability to manipulate an opponent's library when beating them down with a Mongoose or Tarmogoyf. The odds are they are searching for a solution, and if they can't find it in time, they're going to die. Portent plays in to this, whereas Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand just dig.

Frankly, most people don't play Portent the correct way. If you're searching for land or removal or a hard counter, you should probably Portent yourself. If you are beating down, you Portent your opponent, bury anything worthwhile to screw them over, and cantrip.

Bovinious
09-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Its not all of a sudden better, its always been better...

TsumiBand
09-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Isn't the "Portent as disruption" plan terrible in the face of fetchlands, a huge format staple? For that matter, tutor effects? It seems that the only time Portent is really better than something like Ponder is when you know your opponent isn't playing with cards that are practically found in every deck in the format.

Anarky87
09-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Isn't the "Portent as disruption" plan terrible in the face of fetchlands, a huge format staple? For that matter, tutor effects? It seems that the only time Portent is really better than something like Ponder is when you know your opponent isn't playing with cards that are practically found in every deck in the format.

Except this isn't always the case, and you have no idea how many times I've mind tricked people with their own fetchlands. Sometimes the cards I've given my opponent with Portent were actually good, but since I didn't shuffle, they assume I gave them shit, so they shuffle away 3 good draws. Or I've put the worse card out of 2 good cards on top, so when they draw, see the crappy card, they shuffle away 2 good cards. Portent is just huge in that it has so many applications.

xsockmonkeyx
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Re: Meathooks. Portent works much better with Aether Vial than Serum Visions does. EOT vial in a slowtrip sliver and it can attack just like you casted it on your turn.

Bardo
09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, we've beat this one to death over here:

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6834

If you want to pick up the torch, go right ahead.

Locked.