PDA

View Full Version : [Card] Thorn of Amethyst

BreathWeapon
09-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Thoughts on this spoiler for aggro-prison?

Thorn of Amethyst 2
Artifact
Noncreature spells cost 1 more to play.
Rare

It's worthless against Goblins, but most prison pieces are worthless against Goblins, and it gives Trinisphere the potential to lock the opponent out of the game with Trinisphere + Thorn of Amethysts while not putting the cost of your creatures completely out of range. It also has some synergy with the Affinity creatures, since unlike Sphere of Resistance, it doesn't affect the CC of the rest of the deck all that much.

These get auto-included in Vintage Stax for certain.

Ridiculous Hat
09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Isn't this the perfect D+T card?

Zilla
09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Isn't this the perfect D+T card?
I'm pretty sure that title already belongs to Gaddock Teeg (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56892&stc=1&d=1189398206). We can call Thorn "moderately sufficient" for D+T.

Cait_Sith
09-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Thorn is good in Mono-Green Aggro though! Right? I mean, can't we pretend at least?

BreathWeapon
09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I could see it in some sort of Suicide list, and it could be a replacement for Nether Void in Demon Stompy. Also interesting to see whether or not there is a deck that could put 8 Sphere of Resistance to use, ala Eternal Garden or 43 Lands, or a 12 Sphere Stax list.

Cait_Sith
09-22-2007, 09:20 PM
If it weren't for the fact that Lands ran mostly, you know, lands, I am sure it could abuse this non-land card.

Lands that cost mana to play... NOW THAT WOULD BE FUCKED UP... yet I'll bet they will do it one day.

Happy Gilmore
09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Rootmaze +Thorn + gaddock is amazing. And guess what, they are all in T2.

Cait_Sith
09-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Along with a much slower format! If you replace Gaddock with Magus of the Moon though... we'll talk.

Nihil Credo
09-23-2007, 09:53 AM
What I like about Thorn of Amethyst is that a deck with an extremely low curve can still SB it as Threshold hate and not turn off half its cards in the process, like with Chalice@1.

Moreover, it hoses Storm combo regardless of what they have in hand... unlike Chalice which can devastate them or be totally useless depending on what they drew.

IMO, any deck that has ways to produce two mana on turn 1 (Chrome Mox, Dark Ritual, Spirit Guides, Ancient Tomb) should seriously consider sideboarding Thorn instead of Chalice as combo hate. Even for decks who can't drop Turn 1 Thorn, it's still a great SB option against Thresh.

Noman Peopled
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm kind of undecided. The effect seems really abusable, but I thought hard about a deck which this would be good in that couldn't reasonably play Chalice and/or Sphere of Res instead.
However, an option that should be researched is playing all of them. Very, very cheap prison pieces (though not as effective as Trini or SStack) are availale in numbers up to twelve now. That's twelve pieces of disruption and twelve (reasonable) pieces of acceleration to drop it early.
Seems fine in LLL.
Chalice is still a better card as long as it is not part of a dedicated prison strategy.

Wallace
10-02-2007, 10:33 PM
So where do we see this cards fitting in to the current legacy format. Is it going to be thrown into side boards or will it find its way into current legacy decks. The only deck I see it in right now is D&T.

http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/LRW/EN/Card140166.jpg

Jaynel
10-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Something like 5/3:

// Lands
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
4 [TE] Wasteland
4 [EX] City of Traitors
4 [IN] Plains (1)
3 [TS] Flagstones of Trokair

// Creatures
4 [R] Juggernaut
4 [ON] Exalted Angel
4 [FD] Synod Centurion
4 [WL] Steel Golem

// Spells
3 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
3 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [LOR] Thorn of Amethyst

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
SB: 4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
SB: 4 [RAV] Suppression Field
SB: 3 [AT] Armageddon
SB: 3 [TS] Tormod's Crypt

Happy Gilmore
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Something like 5/3:

// Lands
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
4 [TE] Wasteland
4 [EX] City of Traitors
4 [IN] Plains (1)
3 [TS] Flagstones of Trokair

// Creatures
4 [R] Juggernaut
4 [ON] Exalted Angel
4 [FD] Synod Centurion
4 [WL] Steel Golem

// Spells
3 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
3 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
4 [LOR] Thorn of Amethyst

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
SB: 4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
SB: 4 [RAV] Suppression Field
SB: 3 [AT] Armageddon
SB: 3 [TS] Tormod's Crypt

Before you incorporate Thorn at all you should absolutely be running Trinisphere.

I've been brainstorming this a bit, and besides GW Gaddock variations I thought this could work as well:

4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
12 Mountains

4 Arc-Slogger
4 Sulfur Elemental
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Sprit Guide
4 Blistering Firecat

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Trinisphere
4 Thorn of Amythyst
4 Powder Keg

Did I mention othat Sulfur Elemenetal kills Nomads En-kor and can't be countered? I really like Blistering Firecat in this deck, its suprizingly good, buth at killing Goyfs and dealing huge amounts of damage.

Tacosnape
10-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Before you incorporate Thorn at all you should absolutely be running Trinisphere.

Is there a reason for that? Especially when you consider that Trinisphere and Thorn of Amethyst don't really work together?

TheDarkshineKnight
10-03-2007, 12:09 PM

I've been brainstorming this a bit, and besides GW Gaddock variations I thought this could work as well:

4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
12 Mountains

4 Arc-Slogger
4 Sulfur Elemental
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Sprit Guide
4 Blistering Firecat

4 Chrome Mox
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Trinisphere
4 Thorn of Amythyst
4 Powder Keg

Did I mention othat Sulfur Elemenetal kills Nomads En-kor and can't be countered? I really like Blistering Firecat in this deck, its suprizingly good, buth at killing Goyfs and dealing huge amounts of damage.

Damnit, Gilmore! Stop making so many damned awesome mono-color decks! Get back to developing Stompystax. :P

Anyhoo, Trinisphere comes into play too late methinks for it to be good in D&T.

Happy Gilmore
10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Is there a reason for that? Especially when you consider that Trinisphere and Thorn of Amethyst don't really work together?

How is that? It makes all non-creature spells cost :4: . Having both increases consitency. When you don't have sphere, use Thorn or Chalice. The hope is that by having 12 disruption effects you cut down on mulligans. Magus and Sulfur Elementals are great in the current metagame.

Jaynel
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I thought Trinisphere was applied last, always. So a Portent under a Trini and a Thorn would only be 2U. Maybe I'm wrong.

sammiel
10-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Jaynel is correct, trinisphere always applies last, thorn has no synergy with trinisphere.

Adan
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
it gives Trinisphere the potential to lock the opponent out of the game with Trinisphere + Thorn of Amethysts.

I don't think so, I thing it will be the same story like Sphere of Resistance.

Playing Trinisphere and then SoR/Thorn makes CC2 spells cost 3.

edit: sammiel and Jaynel were faster.