PDA

View Full Version : [Card] Pestermite

Cavius The Great
09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
This is a card that I think would fill in those extra 2-4 debated slots in Faerie and Blue/White Angel Stompy. It's today's preview card at Wizards. Here's what the card does.

Pestermite - 2U

Flash.

Flying.

2/1

When Pestermite comes into play, tap or untap target permanent.

This card seems really sweet. You can do combat tricks with it and untap and block an unsuspecting critter with one of your fatties. You can double block without your opponent suspecting it. You can also "Icy Manipulator" anything on the board which is huge. I definitely think this card will be an auto-include in Faerie Stompy and atleast a consideration in Blue/White Angel Stompy. Let me know if you guys like this card as much as I do. Peace.

Noman Peopled
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't know ... the body is fragile but perhaps made up for by the fact that it can wield equipment. But then, offensive combat tricks are less relevant in decks with lots of evasion. Threads of Disloyalty, a fast clock, and SoFaI/Jitte is defense enough for me. But it's hard to say because, while Pestermine is good at nothing, it can do much (keep your opponent of counterspell or even Goofy mana, for instance, or randomly eat a mana vs combo).

I imagine Angel Stompy would want to have Serendib Efreet rather than a 2/1, no matter how tricky. Or at least Weatherseed Faeries. Then again, I know little about the current state of WU AS.

Cavius The Great
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Pestermite will probably fill in the Weatherseed Faerie slot since it's much more versatile. Weatherseed is generally only good in one or two matchups while Pestermite is good against nearly everything. It is debatable though, but Angel Stompy already has a good game versus Goblins so the card definitely should be considered for that archetype.

ExplosPlankton
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Dont forget that it untaps your own lands much like Cloud of Faeries does. This is especially useful in Faerie Stompy where many of the lands tap for more than one mana (Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors). Play this, untap a city or tomb and pay the equip cost of jitte for example.

Noman Peopled
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Dont forget that it untaps your own lands much like Cloud of Faeries does. This is especially useful in Faerie Stompy where many of the lands tap for more than one mana (Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors). Play this, untap a city or tomb and pay the equip cost of jitte for example.
Oooh. Thanks a bunch for pointing that out. For some reason, I ws thinking about untapping blockes, but not untapping land. Which of course, falls under the umbrella term of "permanent". (Can you say umbrella term in English? Come to think of it, I don't know which language I actually got it from).

But I still wonder how useful that is. You untap City/Tomb and need at least U to cast other pressure (third-turn or second with Doorknob) or untap an Island and need 1 (second turn, first-turn with Doorknob). You have a net gain of -2 or -U and can't actually generate any mana. However ...
especially with first-turn Mox plus Tomb/City, you can drop this Faerie, then Chalice, which just seems extremely solid (more so the Cloud as that will leave you with an unusable 1). Without three mana first turn, however, you aren't gonna wait with Chalice 'till your second turn. Although - come to think of it, dropping Faerie/Jitte second turn doesn't seem bad, either.
I will admit that I don't like this Faerie and I don't have the money to pay for Sea Drakes so either outcome is fine by me, but I still want to see how this new swiss knife will perform. If it turns out to be good enough, one has to seriously start considering Spellfumbler Sprite (a shame it's a Spell Blast, not a Power Sink).

(Apologies for potential incoherence, it's 4:27. And I remember Whiskey.)