PDA

View Full Version : [Card] Eyes of the Wisent

arsenalpow
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Eyes of the Wisent
1G
Tribal Enchantment - Elemental
Whenever an opponent plays a spell during your turn, you may put a 4/4 green Elemental creature token into play.

I think this will be a sleeper hit for the legacy environment. The card is costed efficiently and a 4/4 is nothing to scoff at. Could this help in a threshold mirror where use of permission could lead to a faster clock being put on the board?

Thoughts?

zulander
09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately this guy does nothing for combo, and it's the combo matchup where green really falls short.

Nightmare
09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately this guy does nothing for combo, and it's the combo matchup where green really falls short.You say this as though our blue decks weren't already splashing for :1::g: cards.

sammiel
09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
this has to be Eyes of the Wizened, or something. Wisent isnt even close to being a word.

arsenalpow
09-24-2007, 01:11 PM
It is definately splashable, plus it could potentially break the threshold mirror like couterbalance top engines do....but in an aggro oriented way. The deck relies very heavily on FoW, Daze, Stifle, Brainstorm, as well as any removal that is used EoT.

Cait_Sith
09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
This helps out green vs permission. Imagine being forced to choose between countering Tarmogoyf or giving your opponent a free 4/4, possibly more if you need to Brainstorm for a Force to counter it. Awesome!

Geeba
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
this has to be Eyes of the Wizened, or something. Wisent isnt even close to being a word.

Some pettifoggery: Wisent is actually a word. It is the European version of the Bison.

Regarding the card itself, I think it's too narrow for the maindeck. It may be worked into a aggro-control sideboard against control/aggro-control, but still I think more general hate is available for that (e.g. counter-top).

Ridiculous Hat
09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
This card is great against dedicated blue-based permission control decks. I don't think there are any of those left in the format.

Lone Signal
09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
This card is great against dedicated blue-based permission control decks. I don't think there are any of those left in the format.Agreed... Decks like Thresh can just use their cantrips on their turn and that won't affect them that much. And if there's a must-counter spell, they'll counter it anyway and take the 4/4 that will chump Goyf for a turn.

Nihil Credo
09-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Green already had Multani's Presence, which fulfills a similar purpose. Had anyone ever tried that card?

zulander
09-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh wow nm, I thought this was a worse version of hidden gibbons... I didn't RTFC.
This guy is good...

Lemuria
09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I know that people hardly play a 9 land stompy, but this will be a nice inclusion for it.

Hey, I like 9 land stompy, and I made top four once with it.

zulander
09-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm going to test it out in GAGOMY in the call of the herd or kird ape slots me thinks. All though once Lorwyn comes out gagomy won't really need this guy to be even more broken than it already is.

Ridiculous Hat
09-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Green already had Multani's Presence, which fulfills a similar purpose. Had anyone ever tried that card?Similar purpose, but this card is a much better execution. Presence doesn't care about bounce spells or card draw, and being up one card is way worse than being up one 4/4.

Goaswerfraiejen
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Not such a sleeper any more. (http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=eyes+of+the+wisent&category0=)

It's hard to find sleepers when everyone who was wrong about Tarmogoyf has decided that everything is a sleeper.

Cait_Sith
09-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Green already had Multani's Presence, which fulfills a similar purpose. Had anyone ever tried that card?

Multani's Presence only affected counterspells and gave you a card. This affects anything played on your turn and gives you a creature, so it is slightly better since any sort of Brainstorm --> Counterspell plan gives you 2 4/4s instead of 1 card. Swords to Plowshares and Smother have to be used on their turn or immediately replace the creature they just killed. That means card disadvantage for them.

I can see this having its uses.

Noman Peopled
09-24-2007, 10:51 PM
The biggest downsides to this (in my eyes, obv) are
a) It's not a threat itself and
b) It gives your opponent options.

In a format as tempo-based as Legacy, it can be fatal to "discard a card" for two mana while your opponent remains free to decide if they play suboptimally for a turn or two or give you creatures. It's obviously useless against Goblins and combo (less so than against VG but still, and barring Spring Tide). Thresh is perfectly capable of casting a Goyf after you failed to build up pressure for two mana, quite possibly one big enough to allow a 4/4 or two enter the game. That leaves, in essence, control (yes, I'm simplifying here). As a sideboard card against blue-based control, I can indeed see it, but it still seems very narrow. How much Landstill is played, anyway?

The Hidden creatures haven't seen play for a long time and while I agree Eye of the Wisent is better than Hidden Gibbons, I wonder if it's better enough.

Goaswerfraiejen
09-24-2007, 11:29 PM
The biggest downsides to this (in my eyes, obv) are

b) It gives your opponent options.

While I agree with many of the things that you said (if not your conclusion), I strongly disagree here. Your opponent is presented with no more options than he had prior to casting this enchantment; indeed, you've effectively restricted his options by attaching a significant consequence to a given action (playing spells on your turn). I really fail to see how this increases his options rather than your own. It allows you to bait counterspells more effectively, for example, which is rather useful.

SpikeyMikey
09-25-2007, 04:11 AM
2G
City of Solitude - R
Players can only play spells on their own turns.(or something to that effect)

It's like comparing Breaking Point to WoG. Yes, 6 damage is bad, and yes, getting hit with Wrath is bad, but when you get to choose the lesser of two evils, it's better than getting hit with something you didn't choose.

It's a card that makes you think, but in the end, I don't think lopping a mana off CoS makes this card format defining. Counterbalance can help you regain the advantage in the Thresh mirror, I don't really see this card doing that. I'm not even certain that this is strictly superior to Hidden Gibbons, simply because Gibbons triggers off any instant, their turn or yours, whereas they can still Brainstorm and whatnot on their own turn, protect their own threats from your counters, plow creatures during their own turn, all without ever activating this enchantment. In a nutshell, you can play around Gibbons, you can play around Eyes even easier.

Maveric78f
09-25-2007, 04:23 AM
+0.5 SpikeyMikey.

The thing that you forget about eyes of the wisent :
- you are not affected by it
- 1CC less is not anecdotic
- your opponent can "forget the card" and get a bigger disappointment than simply cancelling his play (which is the rulling with city)
- it's tribal, it means that it's good for your tarmogoyfs (and for your opponent's ones too)

frogboy
09-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Swords to Plowshares and Smother have to be used on their turn or immediately replace the creature they just killed. That means card disadvantage for you.

I can see this having its uses.

I don't think the term card disadvantage means what you think it means.

fixed your quote, incidentally.

Tacosnape
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
This is anything but a sleeper card and pretty bad, if you ask me.

Frogboy's dead on. This is card disadvantage for you, not them. You have no guarantee this ever triggers.

Even if it triggers once, so what? You've just paid :1::g: for a 4/4. They already made a card that does this. It's called Werebear, and it's condition is much more easily met. And people just stopped playing it due to Tarmogoyf, which averages about 4/5.

Phantom
09-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Completely Agreed. All the green anti counterspell cards have been crappy and this one is no better. Also, all the cards that give the opponent the choice of making your card suck are crap (see Browbeat) in Legacy at least. Unless you have found an aggro strategy that only loses to Counters, leave this guy be.

Also, it completely sucks that it gets hit by Spell Snare.

Tacosnape
09-26-2007, 12:50 AM
If you've found an aggro strategy that loses only to counters, you should be running Leyline of Lifeforce anyway.