PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] The Grand Creature Type Update

Barook
09-26-2007, 01:20 AM
I wonder why nobody has mentioned this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/424a3) article so far.

Start packing your Engineered Plagues now because its power level just went over 9000 when naming Humans! :confused:

This change may make things cleaner in theory, but the only thing it will really do is creating a huge mess because you have to remember those tons of changes when dealing with tribal-based cards.

Tacosnape
09-26-2007, 02:00 AM
Uh.

This means that Battle Squadron is now an enormous flying goblin that can swing for the win while taunting all those poor Tarmogoyfs on the ground.

(Can you tell I just did a huge search on the entire thing for "Goblin?")

Moan that!

from Cairo
09-26-2007, 03:07 AM
This seems weird. I feel bad for judges that are going to be getting asked about creature types even more than before. Battle Squadron is an interesting idea.

dahcmai
09-26-2007, 05:04 AM
What a pain in the butt that's going to be.

By the way how'd you get gatherer to reflect the new changes? I did the same and it still pulled up the old stuff. I didn't even catch Battle Squadron in it. Interesting one that.

I'd like to have a list handy to go through so I can see how many will actually make a difference with stuff like Tar shock and the new Reya Goblinbringer.

Barook
09-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Gatherer is still going to take a while until everything is updated, especially because they're waiting for feedback from their forum to figure out glitches.

The easiest thing is to wait and use the Gatherer search once the changes are implanted.

Nihil Credo
09-26-2007, 07:41 AM
And one week after the Gatherer update, you'll have GoblinHero's updated MWS master base.

I'll be so happy to finally hit that fucking Mother of Runes.

@Taco: I don't think Battle Squadron will be much better than just SCG shocks. If your meta is full of Moats, perhaps you shouldn't be playing Goblins in the first place.

Di
09-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Well now all those people who wanted to Engineered Plague Nantuko Monastery can no. Insect Monk is a badass creature type.

Also, I might've missed this in my skimming, but what is the deal with legends now? According to that list, a lot of them don't say "legend" anymore. For instance:

Card Name Old Type New Type
Nebuchadnezzar Legend Human Wizard

The new creature type doesn't say Legend anywhere in it. Does this still mean it's a legend? Or is it just assumed to be known since it's printed on the card?

Maveric78f
09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, it still have the surtype legend. It used to be a :
legendary creature - legend
And now it is :
legendary creature - Human Wizard

Happy Gilmore
09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
interesting, both nomad and shaman en-kor now have creature type: kor

priest of gix is a human cleric minion....

all rebels are humans in addition.....

Pirates are Human pirates...

there are alot more horrors...

Chimeric Idol is a creature type turtle! woot!

Werebear is a human druid bear??????????!?!?!?!?!

Blistering firecat and such become elemental cats...

Etched oracle is a wizard...

All the talas ceatures are now human PIRATES!

Nihil Credo
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Too bad Shaman has toughness 2. The point is moot, however, since you can just Plague the Cephalid Illusionist.

Lego
09-26-2007, 02:22 PM

You can now hit Mother of Runes and Silver Knight at the same time. Although it's probably smarter to name Cleric like usual, and his Mom and Soltari Priest. Unless they're splashing black, then you name Human and get Mother of Runes and Dark Confidant :) Sad days for Angel Stompy :(

Tacosnape
09-26-2007, 02:27 PM
And one week after the Gatherer update, you'll have GoblinHero's updated MWS master base.

@Taco: I don't think Battle Squadron will be much better than just SCG shocks. If your meta is full of Moats, perhaps you shouldn't be playing Goblins in the first place.

Moats aren't my worry. Large creature stalemates are what I had Squadron in mind for. Although the fact that it can sail over a Moat long enough to annoy Lonelybaritone is pretty neat.

You might be right, however, that Siege-Gang is strictly better considering they cost the same and SGC does just as much to end the stalemate.

Lemuria
09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Now Engineered Plague can hit Affinity pretty damn hard. Not that many people plays Affinity anymore, but, what the hell.....

Nihil Credo
09-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Uhm, how exactly? Disciple is a Human Cleric, Ravager is a Beast (wtf?), Worker is a Construct, Frogmite is a Frog*, Enforcer is a Myr, Nexus is a Blinkmoth, and Atog is an Atog.

The only improvement in Plague is that now it can hit Ravagers, but that's pretty dumb since they'll still get the Modular counters. Stick to naming Human (hoping they play Confidant).

* Back in my Johnny days, I remember a cool poster on the MTG.com messageboards called "The Werefrog", who always referred to itself in the third person and had the signature "The Werefrog shan't rest until Frogmite has the creature type Frog". This was about three years ago, I wonder if he's still active.

Bardo
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Werebear is a human druid bear??????????!?!?!?!?!

This makes sense if true (I printed but haven't read the creature type update yet). Were-things are lycanthropes. They started as humans, became infected with lycanthropy by a were-creature (Werewolf, Werebear in this case) and can turn into a sort of hybrid human-creature type at certain times. Werewolves when full moon's out, etc.

I'd never really thought about this before, but I guess a pre-thresh Werebear is a 1/1 human druid "mana-elf" sort of fellow and when the dead accumulate in the graveyard (7 cards to be exact), the Bear in him comes out, thus a 4/4. But he's still a human druid, deep down.

That's kinda fucking cool if you think about it.

Tacosnape
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Plague on Ravager seems like a decent enough play to me in the right circumstance, even if it gets to roll its modular counter elsewhere. It just needs to be going before a Ravager starts getting huge (IE before it's actually in play), which would probably require some sort of mana acceleration.

AngryTroll
09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Waterfront Bouncer is now a Merfolk!

A couple of other cards that clearly looked like Merfolk got the Merfolk title, too...but it looks like only the Bouncer is relevant (as much as any Merfolk is really relevant).

Jaynel
09-26-2007, 03:51 PM
@ LAM - Looks like "Illusionist" still isn't a creature type. :laugh:

Barook
09-26-2007, 04:02 PM
I have no idea why they didn't make all Arcbound creatures Constructs - easy, simple and elegant instead that weird crap they gave us now.

QFT

Waterfront Bouncer is now a Merfolk!

A couple of other cards that clearly looked like Merfolk got the Merfolk title, too...but it looks like only the Bouncer is relevant (as much as any Merfolk is really relevant).
Saprazzan Legate as anti-red tech? But Goblins are on the decline anyway.

etrigan
09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
You mean I cant play Niall-Silvain tribal anymore?

Fuck.

I dont think Battle Squadron will replace SGC, primarily because Lackey -> Squadron is pretty bad, and Lackey -> SGC is the most broken opening that deck has.

DragoFireheart
09-26-2007, 05:32 PM
This is going to be confusing as hell.

Eldariel
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I love this, been waiting for years. BUT now I'll have to manually fix all my creature-cards to match their new creature types >.<

umbowta
09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Hiding behind the bones of another super? Oh Man! But then you had to just go and ruin the ride.....Lame lame lame lame lame.

Lego
09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
@ LAM - Looks like "Illusionist" still isn't a creature type. :laugh:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Pinder
09-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I'd never really thought about this before, but I guess a pre-thresh Werebear is a 1/1 human druid "mana-elf" sort of fellow and when the dead accumulate in the graveyard (7 cards to be exact), the Bear in him comes out, thus a 4/4. But he's still a human druid, deep down.

Naw, he just hit level 10.

Ba dum bum psht!

TheDarkshineKnight
09-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Naw, he just hit level 10.

Ba dum bum psht!

But...but...but...humans can't be druids. >_>

Happy Gilmore
09-27-2007, 11:04 PM
This makes sense if true (I printed but haven't read the creature type update yet). Were-things are lycanthropes. They started as humans, became infected with lycanthropy by a were-creature (Werewolf, Werebear in this case) and can turn into a sort of hybrid human-creature type at certain times. Werewolves when full moon's out, etc.

Your geek level is over 9000! :eek:

Wynk
09-29-2007, 02:12 AM
So Eladamri, Lord of Leaves is an elf now? And he gives all elves forestwalk and shroud, including himself?

He's like a legendary crystaline sliver except most good elves want to target each other to untap for their abilities. Great ability in the wrong tribe?

Pinder
09-29-2007, 02:26 AM
So Eladamri, Lord of Leaves is an elf now? And he gives all elves forestwalk and shroud, including himself?

:eek:

APriestOfGix
09-29-2007, 02:58 AM
And this is why i'm never going to play aggro again...

Thanks wizards, you just fucked my childhood. Damn you. I'm going to have to play combo forever now...

Illissius
09-29-2007, 05:59 AM
How odd. I'm pretty sure they'd change Eladamri to say "other Elves" like all the other lords, but it's true that he's not in the section on text changes, and is in the big table, with his new creature type as Elf Warrior (finally). So either they forgot to mention it, in which case nothing really, or they forgot to change it, in which case we get to play with Crystalline Elf until the next Oracle update...

Wynk
09-29-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm pretty pumped by Eladamri, ie. Crystal elf. He makes all your elves into nimble mongoose. He's legendary, which is a problem, but having shrouded champions or perfects giving your elves +1/+1 and/or making 2/2 tokens with shroud and forestwalk makes matchups vs. threshold alot easier to win.

Elf decks still dies to combo though.....

Barook
09-30-2007, 03:19 AM
I just noticed Eladamri's changed template, too, just before looking into this thread again. :rolleyes: It's probably just an oversight.

But it's still an interesting change, considering that there is Skyshroud Elite and the new 3/3 deathtouch elf. Combo hate will be difficult, but the new non-creature Sphere of Resistance is a good start imho.

TheCramp
09-30-2007, 08:18 AM
From the look of things on gatherer, he has been updated in such a way to rock. I'm sure they will fix that.