PDA

View Full Version : Guile + Chalice or Counterbalance

Tacosnape
10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Okay, so, I'm pretty sure this works, but I wanted to get some sort of confirmation.

If I have Guile in play, a Brainstorm in my hand, and some permanent that will trigger to counter a spell with CMC 1 (Either a Chalice for 1, or a Counterbalance with, say, SDT atop my library), Can I do the following? (We'll assume it's a Chalice for this scenario.)

1. Play Brainstorm.
2. Have it countered by Chalice-1.
3. Have Guile's replacement effect allow me to replay the Brainstorm.
4. Repeat steps one through three as many times as I desire to build storm count or to recur some sort of "Whenever you play a spell" trigger?

Wallace
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Seem's like it would work...

http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/LRW/EN/Card140190.jpg

Anyone else...?

Tacosnape
10-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Guile + Dovescape = Ridiculous.

Cait_Sith
10-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Confirmation for you: It works.

At least Guile costs too much for it to be useful. If it cost 4UU I would be a lot more scared.

Faluzure
10-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Wait, how does this work? Guile's ability says "f a spell or ability you control would counter a spell, instead remove that spell from the game and you may play that card without paying its mana cost."

After the first counter, the Brainstorm card is removed from the game. After the 2nd counter, there is no card to remove from the game. So wouldn't you only get a maximum storm count of 2?

Ewokslayer
10-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Wait, how does this work? Guile's ability says "f a spell or ability you control would counter a spell, instead remove that spell from the game and you may play that card without paying its mana cost."

After the first counter, the Brainstorm card is removed from the game. After the 2nd counter, there is no card to remove from the game. So wouldn't you only get a maximum storm count of 2?

Guile has you play that card without paying its mana cost not make a copy of the card.
Thus when you cast Brainstorm the second time you put the Brainstorm that was removed from the game onto the stack. So it can be removed from the game again when Chalice counters it again.

Guile + Dovescape = Ridiculous.

Luckily, it costs a total of 12 mana.
But infinite 1/1s sounds like fun.

Nihil Credo
10-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Guile also turns Goblin Artisans into a slightly safer card drawer :wink:

Pinder
10-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Luckily, it costs a total of 12 mana.
But infinite 1/1s sounds like fun.

This sounds like it would be a ton of fun in a huge multiplayer game, though. Assuming you had these, every spell anyone played ever would net you the same amount of 1/1's as it netted them.

Or better yet, GuileScape in Type 4!

Ewokslayer
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
This sounds like it would be a ton of fun in a huge multiplayer game, though. Assuming you had these, every spell anyone played ever would net you the same amount of 1/1's as it netted them.

Or better yet, GuileScape in Type 4!

Actually, it would only net them 1/1s equal to the original spell's mana cost.
after that all the 1/1s would be yours.