PDA

View Full Version : [Article] The Pet Deck

Kronicler
10-05-2007, 02:00 AM
link (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14837.html)

In this article, the latest addition to Unlocking Legacy over at Star City Games, Nightmare talks about the ups and downs of having a pet deck. I personally thought this article was fantastic, mentioning all sorts of cool decks from Turboland to Enchantress while simultaneously discussing an important aspect of strategy focused on playing the right deck for your metagame. Everyone should definitely check this one out.

Two thumbs up nightmare, keep 'em coming!

Kronicler

Link fixed. -Di

Aggro_zombies
10-05-2007, 02:17 AM
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14837.html (Link)

In this article, the latest addition to Unlocking Legacy over at Star City Games, Nightmare talks about the ups and downs of having a pet deck. I personally thought this article was fantastic, mentioning all sorts of cool decks from Turboland to Enchantress while simultaneously discussing an important aspect of strategy focused on playing the right deck for your metagame. Everyone should definitely check this one out.

Two thumbs up nightmare, keep 'em coming!

Kronicler
You probably failed to see the irony in this, Sam.

Kronicler
10-05-2007, 02:25 AM
If this is one source member to the next and you are making a comment on my post, then I don't understand your point. If this is you talking to me, then yeah, you are completely right, but then it belongs in a PM or at the card shop tomorrow night. Either way though, I'm trying to change :tongue: .

Kronicler

AnwarA101
10-05-2007, 06:22 AM
I found this article interesting mainly because I wanted to write something like this. You beat me to it, Adam. I know that I've played decks long after they've been good and I'm sure others have done the same.

SpatulaOfTheAges
10-05-2007, 07:20 AM
I'd have preferred a more detailed look at a couple decks than just a few throw-outs of several decks.

Also, the Team EPIC whoring and lack of Elgin references make me a sad panda.

Nihil Credo
10-05-2007, 08:21 AM
An SCG deck with two playable, tuned decklists and that barely mentions Threshold? I am happy as a boar in blood!

Happy Gilmore
10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
I'd have preferred a more detailed look at a couple decks than just a few throw-outs of several decks.

Also, the Team EPIC whoring and lack of Elgin references make me a sad panda.

Taking Solitare and making it "EPIC" is the next logical step in world domination. It clearly says so in the Magic Fiend Hand Book.

Zach Tartell
10-05-2007, 08:29 AM
An SCG deck with two playable, tuned decklists and that barely mentions Threshold? I am happy as a boar in blood!

This is a really weird proverb, or idiom, or whatever. -2 points for creeping me out.

Adam, though, kicked some savage ass with this article. Though the star city folk are already decrying it, they can suck an egg; my name was in it twice, so I'm going to move to Russia, pay some cracked-out surgeon to sew a third arm onto my chest so I can give three thumbs up (and do that "thor hungry" thing from the hotdog comercials).

Also, dearest Elgin, I always mention you in reports and posts longer than three pages. Don't fret, you aren't forgotten.

Edit: Hey, frowny (happy gilmore), check out the list. It's like I see the future...

Nihil Credo
10-05-2007, 09:04 AM
This is a really weird proverb, or idiom, or whatever. -2 points for creeping me out.
Actually, I was about to write "as a pig in mud", but realized it wouldn't be manly enough for my tastes.

Nightmare
10-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Look guys, say what you will about me whoring the team. The fact is, I test with these guys all the time, and if I'm posting a decklist, generally it's going to be as a result of one of them building and tuning it. It's not something I'm actively doing, it's a process of the way I prepare for events in this format.

Thanks for the positive feedback, though!

Belgareth
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
To be honest I really liked the article :)
I didn't have a problem with the EPIC tags on every deck as the lists were Zach's, Colins and bryants.
Those decks are pretty much associated with those people anyway, so it's only fair they saw credit.
I think it was well written, showing the dangers of not adapting to metagame.

APriestOfGix
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
i like, very solid artical, keep up the good work

Citrus-God
10-05-2007, 12:24 PM
You probably failed to see the irony in this, Sam.

There are flexible decks petdecks like Threshold too... which can obviously adjust to many metagames.

I know Landstill can do that, Goblins can do that, and so many more decks I dont remember can do that.

xsockmonkeyx
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Very enjoyable to read. I like your writing style a lot.

DragoFireheart
10-05-2007, 01:03 PM
For some reason that link is not working for me.

SpatulaOfTheAges
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I mean "whoring" in the nicest way possible.

I just feel like the article didn't go very in depth. It mentioned some interesting, left-field type decks but didn't really explore them satisfactorily.

Stop being a tease, is what I'm saying.

Taurelin
10-05-2007, 01:32 PM
For some reason that link is not working for me.

Just copy/paste the URL, or click here (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14837.html).

DragoFireheart
10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Just copy/paste the URL, or click here (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14837.html).

Thanks. :smile:

Kronicler
10-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Sorry about that messed up link, I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong.

Anti-American: Your response to Aggro-Zombies was completely valid, except his comment was about me and my choices (he and I play at the same card shop and are friends) and much less about my post or about the article itself. Heh, just wanted to let ya know.

Kronicler

Bardo
10-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice article, Adam. A good read all the way through.

Reading the SCG forum comments I was expecting something much different, but that was pleasantly not the case.

I too am a Pet Deck Addict. I just have the good fortune of having a Pet Deck that is actually Good. :smile:

Last year I posted a respectable 18-4 match record with Threshold in local tournaments and people expected me to play the deck and sideboarded for me accordingly, but I usually played through it. Luckily, Thresh doesn't auto-cave to anything, short of Stax, which is pleasantly an unpopular deck choice out here.

Anyway, a good article.

TheAardvark
10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Overall, I enjoyed this piece. I tend to play pet decks off and on in various formats; luckily, the ones I choose to play are pretty good (at least in my local meta).

Better than YOURS, Bardo.

Damn Thresh.

kirdape3
10-05-2007, 10:35 PM
If you're interested in winning tournaments of Magical cards, your 'pet deck' should be the one that you think you will have the highest chance of achieving that goal with. No more, and no less.

That might in fact mean that you play the same deck again and again because you rationally think that that's the deck that gives you that best shot, but you absolutely can't be sentimental towards it and have to constantly re-evaluate it.

Citrus-God
10-08-2007, 03:38 PM
If you're interested in winning tournaments of Magical cards, your 'pet deck' should be the one that you think you will have the highest chance of achieving that goal with. No more, and no less.

That might in fact mean that you play the same deck again and again because you rationally think that that's the deck that gives you that best shot, but you absolutely can't be sentimental towards it and have to constantly re-evaluate it.

Most people I've seen in my life with petdecks tend to play Interactive petdecks. This mostly applies to T1, because watching Slaver and Gifts players doing well constantly makes me question the playskill needed to play Interactive decks. I've seen some Grim Long players too who seem to do well.

Pinder
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
An entire article devoted to Pet Decks and nary a mention of Slivers?

Is there no justice?

In all seriousness though, good piece, if a little slim. It sort of seemed like a few decklists with an article thrown onto them, but it was very well written.

Wallace
10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Hey great actical Nightmare! I have just learned the valuable leason of getting away from a pet deck. My pet deck of choice is Burn. I love to play it, it's easy to play and my version is o' so shinny!!! I just put the deck down and still, some how ended up playing it one more time. I have been on the wagon for 1 event now, I don't know how long I can last though, Foil Asian Lava Spikes just came in the mail!!!

Well I guess that is step 1...

LordEvilTeaCup
10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Its was a well-written article. I find no shame in playing a pet though. There are limits, but if the only reason to go is to win tournies.... it would all seem quite unsatisfying. I am not saying that is what the article said by any means, of course not. It is a warning to competitive players to not be blinded by mere attachments to their decks. However, I think if someone understands that their deck is no longer tier 1 or even tier 1.5 and plays it anyway. Well, good on you. If everyone played Thresh or some other tier 1 deck, I feel the format would lose so much flavor. Of course you shouldn't be playing 9 land Stompy, but there are plenty of decks that play admirably in their own right which make things feel more personable. Fairy Stompy or Sui Black may not get you multiple top 8's at large tournies, but I respect those who play such decks (I play Sui Black). This isn't Type 2 with Pro tours (not yet anyway) and all the prize support from WotC. Some people find it odd and even childish to try to find a deck in which symbolizes something about you. I find such searches and pursuits to be what Magic is all about. And dammit, it would be annoying to find myself to be just 1 of 50 players in a tournament rocking out some generic clone of what the next guy has. Otherwise, I would just go buy some Tropical Islands and Gofys and call it a day.

Bryant Cook
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Pet decks even win sometimes.

Lego
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice article :) I would have liked it to be a bit longer, with more discussion.

Incidentally, you mention that Garden has a good draw engine in Cephalid Coliseum and Horizon Canopy, but your list didn't have Horizon Canopy. I believe this is because you listed 29 mana sources, so you probably need to cut Constant Mists. Anyway, no big deal, just noticed it in passing :)

What can we expect next from you?

Ewokslayer
10-11-2007, 02:55 PM
What can we expect next from you?

Probably how his pet deck Eternal Garden got ass raped at the EPIC DLD and how a whole lot of 7 and 7's made the hurt go away.

Nightmare
10-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Probably how his pet deck Eternal Garden got ass raped at the EPIC DLD and how a whole lot of 7 and 7's made the hurt go away.
Garden is Di's pet deck, not mine.

As for what's next, well, we'll see - I'm cooking something up right now, actually.

Di
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Just to clarify, that was Adam's first time playing a difficult deck to pilot against an opponent. It's not really a surprise he did poorly (no offense) because most of his raping could be the blame on his own play mistakes.

I went 3-1-2 that tournament for 14th place, with my sole loss at the hands of a 4 Magus of the Moon 4 Price of Progress raping. I don't think I'll be beating that, ever.

Citrus-God
10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Pet decks even win sometimes.

This guy is an example.