PDA

View Full Version : The Best Deck in Legacy

Galroth
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Given the recent controvery surrounding what should or should not be included in the Decks to Beat Forum, I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone thinks are the best decks in legacy. This is a purely subjective poll of everyones opinion; as opposed to the more objective method currently used to decide what is or is not included in the DTB forum. It is by no means meant to influence our administrators and mods, nor an attempt to change this websites policy.

I've purposefully left ambiguous any defition of what is meant by "best" in this poll. Instead I've left this open to interpretation - for each of us to assess as we will. However, I will state that my intentions are directed not towards decks which we think of as fun, but rather those decks we think will win tournaments, thrive in our individual metas, and be successful in general.

I cannot include every deck in this poll, so please forgive me if your choice for 'best deck' is not an available option. Do feel free to express your opinion in the forum so our community can be all the more informed.

Bovinious
10-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I dont see a poll, but in order:

Thresh (all splashes)
Cephalid Breakfast
Ichorid
Landstill
43Land
CRET Belcher/TES

TeenieBopper
10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Thresh the apparent best deck, but the strongest decks are that and:

Goblins
CRET Belcher
Landstill

Galroth
10-09-2007, 11:58 PM
There was a bit of downtime between the site uploading the post and poll.

A note on how I selected which decks to add to this poll:
I started by including the decks to beat, then I looked at the european recent T8's and by rough judgement included any decks still wanting... oh and then I added Goblins. Where possible I generalized deck-types in order to include a greater variety (hence UGr and UGw thresh are listed as Threshold).

*Sidenote: 43lands is now a deck to beat; the choice to not generalize it to loam variants was difficult, but the huge variance among these decks lead me to not group them together.

Again, it is difficult to work in the confines of a 10 option poll when we have such a diverse number of possibilities to choose from. I would have loved to include a number of other decks. A few that come to mind: Ichorid, TES, Solidarity, Deadguy, and many others.

Now for my personal pick and some shameless spotlight time: Death and Taxes baby!!

Lemuria
10-10-2007, 12:40 AM
I think Ichorid has everything to become a tier 1 deck.

emidln
10-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Tendrils combo, be it in TES or Grim Iggy form.

Bardo
10-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Thresh does it all: counters spells, draws cards, beats viciously; all on the same turn.

Plus, it best utilizes one of the sickest creatures yet printed in this game, since Psychatog.

Phantom
10-10-2007, 12:49 AM
In my mind it's not much of a debate. Thresh has been a contender forever, and recently decided to hog tier one all to itself.

DragoFireheart
10-10-2007, 12:59 AM
I blame Tarmogoyf for the success that Thresh has had recently.

GreenOne
10-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Thresh will be voted by almost anyone. It would be a nice poll if multiple answers were allowed.

Barook
10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
It would be a nice poll if multiple answers were allowed.
There is only ONE best deck in the format. Multiple choice would ruin the purpose of the thread.

I voted for Threshold, too. It's build to be used at maximum efficiency while being quite versatile and resilient.

TheRock
10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
The best deck is Threshold. The best deck to choose to enter a major tournament right now is definitely some sort of combo with Ichorid or Breakfast topping that list.

Breakfast is a fantastic deck that has serious problems with a few styles/splashes of Threshold; styles of Threshold that consequently do very well against other styles of Threshold too. Ichorid has no problem destroying any type of Threshold splash. However, there are some forms of hate that simply don't work at all against Breakfast.

On top of that, consider these for Ichorid. Almost nobody is running Leyline because it does nothing against Breakfast. One form of hate will almost never stop this deck simply because even if you lose game 2, you can play Therapy first game 3.

Nihil Credo
10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Could the people who didn't vote Threshold please post their reasonings in the thread (other than emidln, who already has)?

Almost nobody is running Leyline because it does nothing against Breakfast.

??

Bryant Cook
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Storm combo.

Eldariel
10-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Best deck in a format? I don't think that's a viable concept, since no games are played in a vacuum. Best deck for any given metagame could be named but given that no such thing exists in the grand scale of Legacy, the best deck cannot exist either.

Bryant Cook
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Dragonstorm with Grozoth.

Nightmare
10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I hate this thread.

ClearSkies
10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
The deck that is build/designed with the metagame of whereever the player is going in mind will be the best deck. In going in a tournment blind, can't really go wrong with threshold though... maybe. (or maybe not)

I do perfer Eternal Garden or Armageddon Stax in my metagame better though... (No combo there)

APriestOfGix
10-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Tendrils combo, be it in TES or Grim Iggy form.

yeah missing an entire arch-type = bad poll.

FredMaster
10-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I can just repeat what Nightmare said. :rolleyes:

Hummingbird TG
10-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Where's the TES?

Peter_Rotten
10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Where's the TES?

See "Other."

Galroth
10-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I tried to create the poll with as little personal bias as possible. If I were to have selected the poll options purely from my own speculation I think I would have dropped 43 Lands, Aluren, and Fish for TES, Ichorid and one other, possibly Enchantress or Solidarity. However, none of these latter deck-types have put up recent results comparable to the former. My hand was essentially forced - try putting together a poll in a fair, dare I say objective manner, about everyones subjective opinion.

@ You Haters - Take your grumbling and... do something inarticulate with it :P. I hope everyone else is atleast finding some small amount of fun in some slightly interesting results.

A sidenote: I'm rather surprised Thresh has done so well. I fully expected it to be first. But I know that whenever I show up to a tournament with the intention of winning, I'm not going to be packing Thresh, but rather something I'm confident has game against it and the rest of my field.

Mordenkain
10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I believe that Threshold is the DTB right now in legacy (and as said before, blame goyf). However I think too that Ichorid has what it takes to become tier 1. It kills thresh on its own easily and are able to play around most hate that can be thrown at it. Of course there is some decks that beats it, and you can quite easily design a deck to beat it as well, however would those decks be viable in other matchups? Most likely no since Ichorid is such a bizzare deck, able to win without ever playing a single land and/or spell. Graveyard hate and Ghostly Prison & Friends are the only things that hurt it a lot, but they can be overcome as well.

To sum up, I voted "other" since I got upset Ichorid wasn't on the list.

thefreakaccident
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I chose landstill, it has everything to beat all of the current teir 1 decks... it has always been a contender (even in the 1.5 times) and still remains so. I think that if landstill gained a few more competant players in regions with large events it could easily gain teir 1 status.

But as it is, thresh is obviously the teir 1 deck as of now...

Sims
10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Loaded Irish Coffee.

thefreakaccident
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
All I have to say is....

HUH?!

Cait_Sith
10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I voted for Solidarity/Prison, because those are the only decks in Legacy that can truly make you feel like crap.

Oh look, you won the game? In response, I WILL WIN THE GAME SUCKER HAHAHAHA.

Or Prison: Wanna do something? You wanna do something punk? HAHAHAH. No.

I'd love to see Lockdown but there have not been any good Lockdown decks recently (the closest being Legacy Weapon).

But yea Thresh is king. Actually, the GRAVEYARD is king. Thresh, Breakfast, Ichorid, Lands, Garden, Landstill, all of these have be known to use their graveyard to different extents and will suffer to varying degrees under solid graveyard hate (some more than others, obviously).

Kilz88
10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Missing is:

Iggy-pop
TES
Ichorid
Salvagers Game
Burn/Sligh

Cait_Sith
10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Missing is:

Iggy-pop
TES
Ichorid
Salvagers Game
Burn/Sligh

1. Yes.
2. Very much yes.
3. Very much yes.
4. No.
5. NO!

troopatroop
10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
If people would stop placing such irrational arguments for their personal choices of decks into these arguments, there would be sufficiently less fail.

Cait_Sith
10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
If people would stop placing such irrational arguments for their personal choices of decks into these arguments, there would be sufficiently less fail.

I am curious as to what you mean by this. Right now the poll seems fairly logical to me.

Tacosnape
10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I hate this thread.

Seconded.

Cait_Sith
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Seconded.

You mean "Thirded." Someone else already beat you to seconding his comment.

Galroth
10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Screw you all, I love this thread. Never ever had so many responses to anything I've ever posted. I'm famous! Woohoo.

troopatroop
10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I am curious as to what you mean by this. Right now the poll seems fairly logical to me.

The arguments after the polling are rediculous. "I was mad you didn't put Ichorid on the list, and even though Thresh is the best deck, I voted for that deck in spite of you"

Please.

andrew77
10-10-2007, 02:57 PM
The arguments after the polling are rediculous. "I was mad you didn't put Ichorid on the list, and even though Thresh is the best deck, I voted for that deck in spite of you"

Please.

Ichorid shouldn't be on the list because it sucks.

What do you expect though? People will always consider the decks they play to be better than they really are. Sure, i play TES, but if I were to go to a GP tomorrow i would take some version of Red Thresh. A better question would be what is the most powerful deck in legacy.

Zach Tartell
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Dragonstorm with Grozoth.

umbowta
10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Other. GRW Zoo!!! see sig.

Honestly though, as much fun as I have playing Zoo, I always end up taking Threshold to events.

xsockmonkeyx
10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I voted for nothing because this thread is stupid. If I wanted take people's consensus opinion seriously Id get an account on Wikipedia.

Pinder
10-10-2007, 07:21 PM
You mean "Thirded." Someone else already beat you to seconding his comment.

I second this.

Bardo
10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I think this has gone on long enough...