PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Extirpate - niche card?

Noman Peopled
10-20-2007, 11:15 AM
As Extirpate is a favorite of mine, I've been trying to make use of it maindeck if possible, or else as a massive disruption package in the side (3-4).
I'm also a big fan of lists, so here goes:

cons
- hits less decks than, say, Duress, with a wide variety of actual impact on the game; specifically, Extirpate does little against decks built on redundancy (lots of mana, creatures, counters, etc)
- does nothing to impact the board immediately
- doesn't provide card parity like discard does
- needs proactive disruption to be really effective
- can be played around by Wishes or multiple win conditions
- doesn't really double a gy hate

pros
- split second; this is a huge boon, actually, less for the uncounterability, more for preventing stack tricks
- has a lasting effect on a handful of decks even without proactive disruption
- numerous synergies

So to summarize, the pros seem to fall prey to the speed of the format. However, black recently got Thoughtseize, which effectively doubles the available discard spells at 1CC in the format (barring Therapy, which will often not get whatever you want to Extirpate).
It's imperative to disrupt early - whether you play Extirpate main or side - as well as be slow enough to take advantage of the long-term effect. This is not to say you should be slowing your deck down, rather than refrain from sticking Extirpate into a deck that can't "profit" from removing library cards, because the game will be decided qithin a few turns). Of course, in certain matchups, you can actually slow down the game with early disruption + Extirpate to an extent that will make Extirpate matter ;)

Wasteland is an awesome synergy as well. I actually went as far as including Ghost Quarter in some test builds to remove all of my opponent's dual lands as early as possible (in my defens, it got removed quickly). Removing fetchlands and Wastelands is some good as well when your opponent is mana-screwed, color-screwed, or you can back it up with LD/Stifle.

In control mirrors, I've seen Extirpate used to great effect in my local metagame. Discard is not the only way to tell what your opponent has in hand so you can retain card parity, and immediate impact is not as important.

Of course, there are those decks that get screwed more by Extirpate than your average multicolored matchup. Among these, those relying heavily on a single card stand out: Loam, Crucible, High Tide, Aluren, etc. (I take disruption as granted anyway.)

So far so good.
But there's also Chalice for one which will not only stop Extirpate but also the discard you may have been playing to support it. Even if you'd be playing 8 Duress/Sneeze, 4 Wastes, 4 Sinks anyway, you may not want the added vulnerability. So ... just don't side Extirpate in in Chalice matchups.

The bigger problem is that Extirpate, no matter how good and synergistic with the deck, may just clutter up slots that you need for pressure, more independent disruption, or immediate defense. Consider Pox with its 4 Pox, 4 Sinks, 4 Hymns, 4 Duress, 4 Innocent Blood, 3-4 Crucible, 2 Nether Spirit, about 24 lands ... you definitely need more pressure and - is Extirpate better than Infest? Smallpox? Vindicate? Idol? You could still stick it in the side against combo/control, but, again, is it better than more discard, Crypt, or Needle? A similar scenario also applies to other archetypes like board control (Train Wreck) or The Rock.

(Btw, it's obvious that Extirpate is utilized, not non-existant as my rant here might seem to have you believe. Even in small quantities, it makes people reconsider decks that simply die to it, which imho is a good thing.)

So I guess my question is, is Extirpate a niche, sideboard card or is it potentially good for something more?

Finn
10-20-2007, 11:48 AM
This is something I have thought about, myself. I am confounded by how much people still drool over Extirpate. I can say with confidence that Extirpate has been a non-impacting or almost non-impacting card every single time I have had it played against me. It has certainly never influenced a victory against me. That is really significant when you consider that it is usually a sb card. So the opponent had to have intentionally brought them in. In fact, there was a game in which my opponent put Extirpate on a Scepter, and I still do not recall feeling impacted.

Take this as you will, as I only ever play my own decks in tournament play, and my decks tend to be of the redundant category you mentioned. And, not by chance, they do not rely upon the gy.

Cavius The Great
10-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Extirpate is bad against anything that doesn't rely on their graveyard to win. It's tech versus Loam and Ichorid but that's about it. It doesn't make a huge impact on any other playable deck.

HdH_Cthulhu
10-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I played a game against psychatog with my ugw ***** and the game went into turn 30 or something...

Thene he extirpates one FoW and i revealed 3 in my hand...

Sometimes extirpate is realy good but most of the time i dont care about it...

Goaswerfraiejen
10-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Extirpate is bad against anything that doesn't rely on their graveyard to win. .

That's not entirely true; in my experience, it's actually useful any time that you can deal with an opposing threat, but seeing that threat more than once becomes much more difficult to deal with (because it forces you to draw an answer, etc.). In that sort of scenario, I've found Extirpate quite handy. I'll readily admit, however, that this is a far more subtle use, and that it's at its best against graveyard-dependent decks. Still, the use that I highlighted above is important, I think. Not enough to necessitate 4 in a maindeck, but enough to consider it as a candidate for a couple of copies.

Sigar
10-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Extirpate punishes decks that run no (or few) basic lands.

raharu
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Extirpate is simply another (sometimes more effective, sometimes not) form of disruption. It allows you to deal with a threat permanently, with the exception of wishes. It will never really cripple a deck to the point of no return since most decks that this should kill outright run wishes just for that fact, but it should be used as just another disruption card to hurt the opposing deck to the point where it puts your deck over theirs enough to win. It should also be noted that if you hit a four-off, you thin out their deck out a noticeable bit.

TrialByFire
10-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Its good against landstill as they run very few wincons

Bovinious
10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Its good against Ichorid if you can get 2 of them in the first couple turns of the game...

TrialByFire
10-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Its good against Ichorid if you can get 2 of them in the first couple turns of the game...

Actually you really only need 1 to RFG the Bridge from Below.

That is, unless you cant handle a bunch of 3/1s attacking each turn. Hitting the Bridge usually slows them down long enough to win if you have a decent clock.

thefreakaccident
10-22-2007, 02:31 AM
extirpate wins games... I was playing landstill against this guy who was piloting deadguy ale.... I was winning up until the point where he double wastelanded and extripated both my wincons... we had to have a tie, even though he was at 6 life and I was at 15... extirpate is good against a lot of decks as well, such as threshold and fish... not to mention you could take someone's manabase right away by wastelanding a couple lands and then extirpating them away for good.

unfortinitely, there are still many decks that are relatively unaffected by it too.

TheRock
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM
It's already been mentioned how useful Extirpate is against Landstill, but I think that it's still useful enough to be brought in against Threshold.

It wasn't that long ago since a lot of the big white Threshold players were complaining about how 14 creatures (albeit 4 being MM) wasn't enough. Those same decks are running 12 creatures while the red counterparts are usually running 10.

Extirpate seems to do a good job of slowing down Threshold's clock to a point where it would be an excellent back-up card to your main piece of hate.

Versus
10-22-2007, 08:54 AM
I brought in Extirpate on game 2 against a Loam deck the other day and was able to hit it on turn three. Wouldn't you know that he brought in 4 of the green dude (I forgot the name) that retrieves RFG cards! Yay!

I agree with Sigar about it being pretty great as a psuedo LD effect though.