PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Ballbreaker aka "Hammer Smashed Face"

Brot_Ohne_Kruste
10-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey guys,

a friend of mine came up with this idea and I helped him to develop the deck. The main thought of the deck strategy was to include Ball Lightning / Groundbreaker and pumping it with Berserk (because of that the deck is called Ballbreaker or "Hammer Smashed Face" :) ). The first Version of the deck was G/R and it was really okay. It main kill was to resolve a 6/1-creature with trample or to vial it in and then to pump it with Berserk which does 12 damage. After a while I decided to put the deck in a 5color-manabase-shell, so we could play Gaea's Might that does simplify the kill (after a resolved Might the Ball Lightning should be at least 9/3 and after a Berserk at least 18/3). I've tested a little bit and Dark Confidant came to my mind, so I played him as a 3-of replacing Gaddock Teeg which went to the SB.

In general this deck looks like a Domain Zoo, but it is played like a sort of combo/aggro-deck. It can easily kill the opponent in one turn, but it could also kill via aggro. Because of the fact that the opponent doesn't know, if you can "combo" him in one turn this deck is pretty dangerous. Lethal damage is normally dealt in round 4-5, sometimes in round 3.

Now here is the list; cardchoices will be listed below.

Decklist:
// Lands
4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
3 [ON] Windswept Heath
3 Taiga
1 [A] Savannah
1 [A] Tropical Island
1 [A] Bayou
1 [A] Plateau
1 [B] Badlands
1 [B] Volcanic Island

// Creatures
4 [PLC] Groundbreaker
4 [B] Birds of Paradise
4 [AN] Kird Ape
4 [DK] Ball Lightning
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [RAV] Dark Confidant

// Spells
4 [DS] AEther Vial
3 [BOK] Genju of the Spires
3 Rancor
3 [A] Swords to Plowshares
4 [PS] Gaea's Might
4 [A] Berserk

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 [US] Duress
SB: 3 [LOR] Gaddock Teeg

[b][U]Cardchoices:
Manabase:
7 Fetchlands: should be clear.
9 Duals: should be clear.

Creatures:
Ball Lightning: 6/1 for 3 mana with trample is pretty good.
Groundbreaker: Same as Ball Lightning.
Kird Ape: 2/3 for 1 mana is fantastic.
Tarmogoyf: A big creature for 2 mana.
Dark Confidant: He "draws" cards for you :).
Birds of Paradise: Are fixing the manabase (and they like to attack for 2-X ;) )

Spells:
AEther Vial: Helps you to play (uncounterable) creatures without mana. It really helps, if you haven't got enough mana.
Rancor: +2/+0 and trample is awesome.
Gaea's Might: +4/5 / +4/5 is good.
Berserk: Really awesome with Might.
Genju of the Spires: Ball Lightning / Groundbreaker #9-11. Each turn it can hit (uncounterable) for 6 and sometimes for more ;).
Swords to Plowshares: Removal. But you can also use it to get 20+ life :).

Sideboard:
Pithing Needle: Against Vedalken Shackles, Wasteland and so on.
Engineered Explosives: Maybe against many Goblin-Token
Tormod's Crypt: Against Cephalid Breakfast or Ichorid
Duress: Improves the combomatchup.
Gaddock Teeg: Same as Duress.

FAQ:
1."Why not playing Fanatics?"
-"Unfortenately there aren't any more slots... We'll probably loose the first game against Ichorid."
2."Are 16 lands enough?"
-"Definatly yes. When I played the deck it was really consistent. Because of the Birds and Vials you will almost never have manaproblems."
3."Can you win without Ball Lightnings/Groundbreaker?"
-"Yes, I can. A 16-18/x Goyf is also pretty nice, right ;)?"

Matchups:
I have played much on MWS with this deck, so I don't really know the MUs, but I'll try to write a few sentences.

TES: 40-60 for him
NQG: about 65-35 for us
Ichorid: 40-60 (?)
Goblins: 30-70
Aggro/Zoo: 65 to 70-35 to 30; we are just faster and more explosive
Red Death/Pikula: 50-50
LoamPox: 50-50
Landstill: 65-35

All numbers are preboard, I don't know how they are after boarding, but I think they aren't that bad.

So, now it's your turn, what do you think? :)

PS.: This deck was never played on a tournament, next mounth it will be by a friend of mine I think.

Bovinious
10-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Im sorry but this deck just looks like a bad port of Gaea's Might Get There. Theres no way Ball Lightning or Groundbreaker will help you against Ichorid because by turn 3 they can already have an army of zombies, that is IF you can even get RRR or GGG reliably by turn 3. Theres no way this deck would be as good against Ichorid or TES like you say, and even landstill will be able to 2 for one your berserked groundbreaker, if you can get GGGG. If I were you id cut the ball lightning, groundbreaker, berserk and add Mogg Fanatic, watchwolf, scab-clan mauler, 4th STP, 4th Bob. Also, adding some Jitte's would be nice also, possibly in replacement of Genju or BOP.

EDIT: 3 Isamaru would be good as well.

Brot_Ohne_Kruste
10-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Im sorry but this deck just looks like a bad port of Gaea's Might Get There. Theres no way Ball Lightning or Groundbreaker will help you against Ichorid because by turn 3 they can already have an army of zombies, that is IF you can even get RRR or GGG reliably by turn 3. Theres no way this deck would be as good against Ichorid or TES like you say, and even landstill will be able to 2 for one your berserked groundbreaker, if you can get GGGG. If I were you id cut the ball lightning, groundbreaker, berserk and add Mogg Fanatic, watchwolf, scab-clan mauler, 4th STP, 4th Bob. Also, adding some Jitte's would be nice also, possibly in replacement of Genju or BOP.

EDIT: 3 Isamaru would be good as well.

Well, then I have to cut something for Fanatics.

The problem of counters you mentioned is the reason why I'm playing AEther Vial. Against Landstill you would go aggro and if you are sure that you can do it and not running in a counterwall, you can vial in Ball Lightning/Groundbreaker, berserk it and swing for 12+. The Genjus are also a big help against all kind of controls.

The Legacy Weapon
10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
First off, I'd like to say good job! The deck looks real smooth and thought out. I think it's got a really creative flow. I do agree that you would at least need Fanatics in the sideboard for Ichorid but I wouldn't maindeck them. The only problem I see is the RRR for Ball Lightning and GGG for Groundbreaker. Seems like you could accidentally Fetch up too much green mana and only draw into the Ball Lightnings or vice versa. I'd say that this deck leans a little too hard on Aether Vial. Have you honestly never had trouble with mana in this deck? I'd cut the Genjus for Seal of Fire. It gives you a little more reach and it feeds Tarmogoyf.

Brot_Ohne_Kruste
10-21-2007, 02:31 AM
The only problem I see is the RRR for Ball Lightning and GGG for Groundbreaker. Seems like you could accidentally Fetch up too much green mana and only draw into the Ball Lightnings or vice versa.

I know what you mean, but this situation appears in about 5-10% of the games.

I'd say that this deck leans a little too hard on Aether Vial. Have you honestly never had trouble with mana in this deck?

Never is not right, but almost never. The Birds are fixing the manaproblem really good :).

I'd cut the Genjus for Seal of Fire. It gives you a little more reach and it feeds Tarmogoyf.

Mhh... It's worth a try. But actually I'm testing Llanowar Elves in the Genju slot now. I'll also test a version with 4 clolors with two basiclands and Might of Old Krosa instead of Gaea's Might.

Cavius The Great
10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Orcish Lumberjack has always been one of my favorite cards in Berserker Ball Lightning.DEC. I've seen it played back in the day and can even hold it's own in the current environment. You can probably consider it Aether Vial 5-8. :wink:

Bovinious
10-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I think you should consider Giant Solifuge, it isnt as color intensive and dodges elimination.

Brot_Ohne_Kruste
10-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Orcish Lumberjack has always been one of my favorite cards in Berserker Ball Lightning.DEC. I've seen it played back in the day and can even hold it's own in the current environment. You can probably consider it Aether Vial 5-8. :wink:

I never thought of the Lumberjack, but I think it will be great. I'll test it :).

@Bovinious: The problem of Solifuge is that you can't play spells like Berserk on it...